angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Breeding between scrolls

This suggestion could also be helpful to someone who has a surplus of only one gender on their scroll and lacks a Magi who can teleport. As far as I understand, trading dragons is only possible with a Magi.

Personally I have ten adult dragons on my scroll and eight of them are male. I want to breed more dragons, but with only one female I can use, since my second is a Pygmy, it's very difficult and that one female can't help with any of the breedable only species. If this option was available, an overabundance of males or females and no Magi wouldn't be a problem.

I like this Idea, I think it's awesome and it's totally something I would use

This suggestion could also be helpful to someone who has a surplus of only one gender on their scroll and lacks a Magi who can teleport. As far as I understand, trading dragons is only possible with a Magi.

Personally I have ten adult dragons on my scroll and eight of them are male. I want to breed more dragons, but with only one female I can use, since my second is a Pygmy, it's very difficult and that one female can't help with any of the breedable only species. If this option was available, an overabundance of males or females and no Magi wouldn't be a problem.

You only need to ask on the gendered wrong thread or get people to breed you some gendered pinks. I do that for people quite often (but not this month as I am tied up with Hunger Games !) Also you can trade with someone else who has a Magi - just set up a dummy trade - you pick up any old thing from the AP and they set up a two way trade with it with THEIR Magi. Only one party in a trade needs a Magi.

The gender imbalance thing is NOT a good enough reason.

TBH I don't actually care much about continuing the lineage I linked--I just couldn't find a better example. >___<

Most of the things I'd want even gens of are ones where rares are involved and thus make higher gens super hard to come by, or things like this stripe where I literally cannot get him a proper checker mate by myself unless I toss out my precious CB Val '09 to make room for a third gen one.

And heck, even where commons are concerned (or in this case, dragons that are NORMALLY common >:C), can you imagine how long it would take me to make a mate for this impossibly well-bred seasonal? AGES! It would be so so so much nicer if I could just look around and see if anyone else somehow had managed to get another such dragon...

Like this, perhaps? Someone traded me the mother of that dragon in return for the first egg bred with my 3rd gen Frill - I was thrilled to be able to give them their egg on the very first breeding, and it wasn't part of the trade but I also offered them a possible mirror mate of Silver x Marrow (once I've bred a PB 3rd gen female Marrow to breed with a certain male Silver I own). *shrug* There's always ways and means, sometimes you just have to ask nicely.

This seems like a lot of extra work to me, If I need mates, I try to trade for it or request an egg with the proper pattern/ species in the trading gifting threads. Same results but none of the who gets egg/locked /wrong breed hassles, and you know that the other person is willing.

I would have the option turned off. I foresee too many requests since I choose to keep both adult holidays

Pretty lineages are possible now-- it just takes a little effort.

I don't want this because this argument is valid. While you may want to breed with another, it's not possible right now and I pray it stays that way. :|

I don't want this because this argument is valid. While you may want to breed with another, it's not possible right now and I pray it stays that way. :|

I fail to see how a feature that would allow me to more easily find compatible mates instead of having to spend months making my own (which in some cases, by the way, is outright impossible without sacrificing my current dragons) is somehow 'extra work.'

If you're taking about it simply being a lot of work to implement--teleport was probably a lot of work to add, but it's a fantastic feature. I'm trying to make this mirror teleport in general layout as much as possible, so it should be easier to do than it was to create teleport from scratch.

This seems like a lot of extra work to me, If I need  mates, I try to trade for it or request an egg with the proper pattern/ species in the trading gifting threads. Same results but none of the who gets egg/locked /wrong breed hassles, and you know that the other person is willing.

1. I can't request a proper mate for this boy unless I hurl my own Val '09 into the wilderness to make room.

2. I think the mechanics of this have been pretty well covered. It's honestly not any more complicated than teleport. The egglocking thing is discussed in more detail on page 1, but for convenience I've added it in to the original post as well.

3. You will know that the other person is willing because they'll have the option turned on. If they don't want to breed, it will be turned of. People might pester them to turn it on, but they could just as easily pester people for 2nd gen Tinsels/Hollies. Pestering is pestering no matter where it comes from, and I have the greatest faith in the mod's ability to handle harassers. Not to mention you can block PMs from specific members if they still won't lay off.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

1. I can't request a proper mate for this boy unless I hurl my own Val '09 into the wilderness to make room.

Why not ? the find a mate thread (wherever it is dry.gif ) serves EXACTLY that purpose.

I just don't see the point, honestly. And again, 'the find a mate thread' serves this purpose easily enough. And as for the Val, plenty of people have that combo, looking doesn't hurt. :3

Why not ? the find a mate thread (wherever it is dry.gif ) serves EXACTLY that purpose.

She can't get another Valentine's dragon on her scroll. That's what she means by she can't request a mate: there are scroll limits for Valentines and Christmases, and she is (probably) at her scroll limit.

I just think it takes away some of the fun of hunting for eggs, raising them and than hoping they gender right to create gorgeous lineages. I would kind of feel cheated if I could just breed with someone else's scroll to get the other half of the lineage.

I would also feel cheated if I took months to create a lineage that two other people could reconstruct in seconds just because they bred their scrolls together.

I would not support this happening. In my opinion half of what keeps me coming back to DC is the new releases; the other half is special breeding to get those oh-so-lovely staircases and checkers. If it wasn't difficult, or time consuming, why would I spend my time here? If it wasn't challenging, I wouldn't spend the time to go over my charts, looking at my eggs, and hoping for the right breed/gender. I wouldn't have to make that hard decision of having an adorable baby holiday, or letting them both grow up, so I have more breeding choices. I want those decisions and choices to remain. The reason I spend so much time on this site, and forum is because it takes effort and time to get the things I want. Quite simply, if I didn't have to spend time to get the things I want....I wouldn't.

I would not support this happening. In my opinion half of what keeps me coming back to DC is the new releases; the other half is special breeding to get those oh-so-lovely staircases and checkers. If it wasn't difficult, or time consuming, why would I spend my time here? If it wasn't challenging, I wouldn't spend the time to go over my charts, looking at my eggs, and hoping for the right breed/gender. I wouldn't have to make that hard decision of having an adorable baby holiday, or letting them both grow up, so I have more breeding choices. I want those decisions and choices to remain. The reason I spend so much time on this site, and forum is because it takes effort and time to get the things I want. Quite simply, if I didn't have to spend time to get the things I want....I wouldn't.

^

She can't get another Valentine's dragon on her scroll. That's what she means by she can't request a mate: there are scroll limits for Valentines and Christmases, and she is (probably) at her scroll limit.

This exactly, thank you.

It would still take a lot of time to make lineages. If I have a PB 8th gen even gen Seasonal (and I do), finding him a mate is going to entail hard work either way. Whether I have to breed my own or whether someone else has to invest hours upon hours into the project. SOMEONE still had to invest work into making those lineages... it just makes it a bit easier to collaborate between different users. And in plenty of cases there probably won't even be someone with a perfect mate who's opened that mate for requests, in which case I'll still have to seek out other routes.

I just don't see how this would be a gamebreaker. Even if this was put in, I'd still like to do lineages entirely with my own dragons to ensure no names go missing from the lineage later on, and I'm sure other people would do the same. Breeding with other scrolls wouldn't guarantee insta-beautiful lineages. There'd still be hard work. It would just be easier to work together. Not to mention it would make currently impossibe lineages possible--I'll repeat the example of my stripe. I cannot continue a perfect checker with him unless I throw out my own Holiday dragons. Thus some of the prettiest dragons in the cave get to see limited lineage usability at present. This is quite sad.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

half the fun of lineage building is working out the trades i need to get what i want. When i cant get what i need, i hunt down people who can help me, and see what i can do to get what im missing. I know its going to be extremely difficult to continue some of these lineages im working on (i prefer even gens because they are so much harder) but im finding interesting compromises in the mean time to getting what i want.

I prefer my lineages to be all on my own scroll when i can. When I cant, I prefer to only collect things from people i know wont kill the parents of the things im trading for (i had a lineage get set back two years one time as a result of that).

as for breeding between scrolls: logically, you should be able to breed with anyone you want. Isnt that how most dog breeding and stuff goes? As much sense as it makes /logically/ that you should be able to.. its not something I would be interested in. If i could simply breed with someone elses dragon to get what i need, it would kill the one real aspect of this game I really enjoy. Plus i see this opening the door to MORE iou trading.. opening the door for more problems down the road. IOU trading is banned in the chat because of people getting scammed so often. I see this as opening the door to even more scamming.

I'd love this idea, and like said in the first post, it'd be completely optional, so you could always turn the thing off. xP

From what I see, if part of the fun of making a lineage for you is making it yourself or hunting down the parents, you can still do it like that. But for those who need this to be even able to continue a lineage they can use it.

Yeah, I'm not understanding the arguments that this shouldn't be implemented because the difficulty in finding/making lineages is fun to people. Okay nice, then don't take advantage of this feature and continue what you've been doing all this time. If this idea were implemented, you could still trade and search for things to continue lineages. And other people could have fun making lineages with one another. Is letting people have fun, with no ill effect on your own playstyle, really that threatening?

Plus i see this opening the door to MORE iou trading.. opening the door for more problems down the road. IOU trading is banned in the chat because of people getting scammed so often. I see this as opening the door to even more scamming.

I don't think theoretical possibilities should really play a part in whether a feature is implemented or not. It could encourage more ious, but then again maybe it won't. New dragon releases encourage ious, Halloween encourages ious, but I sure don't want to see those canceled because some people put themselves in risky situations to get scammed. Just like the people who allow others into their account to catch holiday eggs, it's a risk they willingly take and nothing DC is liable for.

I totally agree with Nine, and thus, support this.

Yeah, I'm not understanding the arguments that this shouldn't be implemented because the difficulty in finding/making lineages is fun to people. Okay nice, then don't take advantage of this feature and continue what you've been doing all this time. If this idea were implemented, you could still trade and search for things to continue lineages. And other people could have fun making lineages with one another. Is letting people have fun, with no ill effect on your own playstyle, really that threatening?

I don't think theoretical possibilities should really play a part in whether a feature is implemented or not. It could encourage more ious, but then again maybe it won't. New dragon releases encourage ious, Halloween encourages ious, but I sure don't want to see those canceled because some people put themselves in risky situations to get scammed. Just like the people who allow others into their account to catch holiday eggs, it's a risk they willingly take and nothing DC is liable for.

I tend to be the one giving IOUs, but at the same time if someone promised me something and then stopped playing I'd be a bit upset, but life goes on. It's the ones that plan on scamming that are bad, the occasional earnest but forgotten or otherwise unpaid IOU is the risk of the game.

Plus i see this opening the door to MORE iou trading.. opening the door for more problems down the road. IOU trading is banned in the chat because of people getting scammed so often. I see this as opening the door to even more scamming.

To continue off what Nine and PF said... IOUs are already sort of everywhere. The rule in the IRC is honestly just an annoyance; 90% of the time when people post "PM me to discuss" as what they want it's because they're just going to go off and do an IOU in private chat. I've given and taken IOUs through IRC... I just have to dance around saying IOU out loud because of the rule. eAe

IOUs always represent a risk. They're taking a chance. If people want to take a chance, that's their call. For my part I only take IOUs from people I 1) know "personally" on here or 2) people who have always been really active on the forums, because then everyone knows who they are and if they're a liar I can warn other people and thus get them back in part for decieving me.

So yah, IOU encouraging doesn't really seem like a good point against this to me. I can, however, sort of understand why people would think this would make lineages too simple--but while it would make them a bit easier, I still insist they wouldn't be that much easier. Again, even if I could breed a 5th gen perfect Checker to someone else's perfect matching Checker--a great deal of work still had to be invested in making them to begin with. This would just make it a bit easier to reap the rewards of that hard work--instead of having to crazily hunt down/make another 5th gen, I could see if someone else had put in that hard work, too, and we could celebrate together and have a glorious feast about our awesome and keep the lineage going, ahaha.

Thanks for the support, guys! I was expecting huge amounts of dislike for this suggestion, so it's really nice to see so many positive responses. smile.gif

People usually join DC to capture and breed dragons, not come onto the forums, chat it up with people they don't even know, and attempt to establish some sort of kinship just to get a suitable mate for their 3rd Gen Gold x Frill, or whatever it is they have. If people actually enjoy that aspect of DC and would like to continue doing so, good for them! I don't see how this implementation would hurt that certain way they play the game. I'm not a social butterfly, and sometimes, I do not know how to properly word requests (i.e. can you breed my 4th Gen Terrae with your Bronze Tinsel kthxbai), so that kind of interaction makes me flustered. And even then, there's the problem that the person may not even see your PM due to a full inbox and/or popularity. So...yeah. I support this. Really, truly support this.

People usually join DC to capture and breed dragons, not come onto the forums, chat it up with people they don't even know, and attempt to establish some sort of kinship just to get a suitable mate for their 3rd Gen Gold x Frill, or whatever it is they have. If people actually enjoy that aspect of DC and would like to continue doing so, good for them! I don't see how this implementation would hurt that certain way they play the game. I'm not a social butterfly, and sometimes, I do not know how to properly word requests (i.e. can you breed my 4th Gen Terrae with your Bronze Tinsel kthxbai), so that kind of interaction makes me flustered. And even then, there's the problem that the person may not even see your PM due to a full inbox and/or popularity. So...yeah. I support this. Really, truly support this.

I can see that side of it, but... I just don't want this implemented. If it causes too many 'omgustoleeeeeee' problems than it fixes, then what then? We need to look at all sides of this, not just 'okay, this'll work, and here is why blah blah blahhhh'. We need to look at the weaker side of the outcomes. Would there be a protective measure (i.e, a little link you can lick on with a box that says 'this person would like to breed ____ dragon to your ______ dragon)? Otherwise, I can't envision this working at all, and while I will never personally use this, because I chat more than I collect dragons and only collect dragons for the sake of being a completionist, but if we can make it work, then you can crowd and rip apart my 2c all you want. wink.gif

I still don't see how this could cause a stealing and IOU problem at all. Someone, I forget who [sock?], mentioned that for them to even consider supporting it there would have to be two eggs of the same breed produced, one going to each scroll. [or one side could choose a setting to say they don't want an egg and then it only produces one if the breeding is successful]

I also imagine this happening internal to DC as much as through the forums, where someone sees a dragon that they'd like to breed with that has multi-scroll breeding enabled and send a request and it is either accepted or denied, no PMing, both users could not have a forum account even.

ooo wow i really like this idea. it could really help me with hard to continue lineages and i dont see much of a problem with this, +1 support

Edited by kittygrl

I also imagine this happening internal to DC as much as through the forums, where someone sees a dragon that they'd like to breed with that has multi-scroll breeding enabled and send a request and it is either accepted or denied, no PMing, both users could not have a forum account even.

I didn't even think of this originally, but now that you've said it I do believe it's another great point. Right now there is no way--NO WAY AT ALL--for people to trade dragons within the site itself. They either have to go to the forums or to a fansite with a trading center. You can click on someone else's dragon and even if they have it in a teleport trade you would have no way of knowing.

Add in this, and for the first time true deliberate in-game interaction could occur. That's pretty neat. biggrin.gif