angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Breeding between scrolls

This suggestion will change trades drastically. Pretty lineaged dragons probably will not be worth what they are now in trading because with interscroll breeding, anybody will be able to breed anything for themselves. So... if you are relying on trading good lineages to get CB things you cannot catch yourself... where is your god now why should someone else trade you something for it when they just can go to someone else who shares their interest and breed it with them?

I don't know it's interesting but Wajas had this too. They used a fruit you had to give to them and use their points to send a breeding request to do it.

This suggestion will change trades drastically. Pretty lineaged dragons probably will not be worth what they are now in trading because with interscroll breeding, anybody will be able to breed anything for themselves. So... if you are relying on trading good lineages to get CB things you cannot catch yourself... where is your god now why should someone else trade you something for it when they just can go to someone else who shares their interest and breed it with them?

1) Pretty lineages still take a ton of hard work. Even with this implemented, I'm not going to be able to magically pop out a new 7th gen Rosebud x Moonstone checker every day. Besides, lineage collaboration is already possible--we have an entire sub-forum dedicated to it. The difference is that people can now share names, neat codes, and CB Holidays more easily, making for cool new lineages that can't exist at present.

2) People won't ignore that trade offer because of one simple thing: convenience. If someone offers up that lovely 5th gen male Sunsong x Thunder checker I want for trade, I'm not about to stick up my nose at it at the off-chance that I'll find someone offering a dragon for breeding capable of producing such a thing with a mate of mine, especially not when, if breeding success is halved, it'll take me twice as long to get my egg.

Nooo Nine, you will be missed D':

It sounds to me like the only thing being spun is the strangely persistent idea of how 'drastic' this would change the game and 'force' people to play different. Even though it's already been gone over many a times how it's not drastic, not forcing different play styles, not affecting rarity, and so on.

*shrugs* If you are talking to me (since you quoted me), I never said anything about it forcing people to play different or affecting rarity.

But it *is* a drastic change, and there's really no way to pretend it isn't. Throughout DragonCave history, the only way to get an egg is to catch it yourself, whether in cave or in the AP, or breed it yourself. You were on your own, in your own little scroll-world. Then trading came along, which changed DragonCave drastically, because suddenly users didn't have to do it all alone, they could trade/barter for what they wanted. Now this, yet another large change, where users wouldn't have to catch for themselves, or breed in their own scroll, or even trade. A whole new method of obtaining wanted dragons. A whole new method of creating lineages.

I'm not saying it's a BAD type of 'drastic', necessarily, that's all just opinion, but it IS a drastic change.

Okay, so I'e tried to put my thoughts into some coherent feedback:

I can see the appeal for lineages. It would definitely make some interesting breeding pairs possible. Being a younger user, I don't have any of the old holidays and it would be fun to get a breeding partner that could help me get a lineage of say, sweetlings and pinks or something.

My potential concerns/comments are:

There is a possiblility of this making rares a lot more obtainable. While this wouldn't neccesarily affect overall numbers, most people breed their rares for themselves or for trade. If you could just breed a halloween dragon with a gold for a chance at a gold and one or both parties pretty much got the egg for free, I feel like numbers would go up across scrolls.

This could be offset by the egg chances of course, and I do realize that people still gift eggs for free and whatnot, but I think it's something to consider.

I also think that should this change be made, we would have to have full control over our scrolls/dragons. Even if there was a giant red banner on your page saying "I do not accept breeding requests" I'm sure there are people who would PM you on the forums anyway. For users that do not want to hide their entire scroll, it would be nice to have an option that somehow prevents people from seeing specific adult dragons.

I'm just really on the edge about this idea right now. I see the appeal for lineages, but I'm not sure how this would affect the community overall.

While I'm fine with people ogling my dragons and looking at nice breeding pairs they might want, I don't like the idea of them stalking my scroll like they're looking at studs up for cover or sperm donors. tongue.gif

And just to put it out there, I'm not against change at all. Change can be fun. But before it happens, I would like to have a decent idea of how it will affect my game.

There should be a check box in account setting for if you want to breed between scrolls and if you don't. Also you cannot breed between scrolls if your scroll is hidden.

And maybe like a badge will appear on the scroll if you want to.

There should be a check box in account setting for if you want to breed between scrolls and if you don't. Also you cannot breed between scrolls if your scroll is hidden.

And maybe like a badge will appear on the scroll if you want to.

It has to be more elaborate then that. Many users might be okay with *certain* dragons breeding across scrolls, but they might also have dragons that they *don't* want to breed across scrolls, and wouldn't want to get bombarded with messages/offers over.

If this happens at all, I think that, IF you check the box stating you will allow breeding between scrolls, you should ALSO have the options of "unchecking" specific dragons.

It has to be more elaborate then that. Many users might be okay with *certain* dragons breeding across scrolls, but they might also have dragons that they *don't* want to breed across scrolls, and wouldn't want to get bombarded with messages/offers over.

If this happens at all, I think that, IF you check the box stating you will allow breeding between scrolls, you should ALSO have the options of "unchecking" specific dragons.

All your dragons are automatically set to default, but you have the option to either turn specific ones on or to flip them all on, so yes, you would have control over which ones were open for breeding and which weren't. smile.gif

Erm..I have almost 4K dragons ... does that mean I will have to check/uncheck all of them? unsure.gif

Erm..I have almost 4K dragons ... does that mean I will have to check/uncheck all of them? unsure.gif

I think that it is likely there would be a check/uncheck all button. I might go through and uncheck my inbred, really long, super messy lineages for this.

I'm torn on this idea.

On the one hand, this is a great way to create otherwise difficult or impossible lineages, and just generally creates another way for users to interact besides Teleport and the forums

On the other, it seems a bit like it could be the lazy man's way out...

I'm leaning towards supporting this, however. As the owner of this pretty girl and only one CB female Golden Wyvern/two CB male Shadow Walkers, I know firsthand how hard it is to find a mate or someone willing to breed and trade one to me. ^^; As long as it's optional, I'm cool with it.

Edit: Oh, wow, didn't realize it was so long since the last post. O_o I was linked here from another thread.

Edited by Kiryu

You know, at first I would have been against such an idea, but having missed the Cave Lurker's release I don't have a CB female to breed Cordial to, should someone request that pairing. An option like this would come in handy for someone like me, who's missed a holiday release but requires a CB mate of that holiday.

But on the negative side, I can foresee myself or any other spriter with a spriter's alt being hounded by breeding requests. Same for people with lots of CB metals and Tinsels/Shimmers.

So long as it's an option and people can report harassment accordingly, it's a decent idea and should be considered.

You know, at first I would have been against such an idea, but having missed the Cave Lurker's release I don't have a CB female to breed Cordial to, should someone request that pairing. An option like this would come in handy for someone like me, who's missed a holiday release but requires a CB mate of that holiday.

But on the negative side, I can foresee myself or any other spriter with a spriter's alt being hounded by breeding requests. Same for people with lots of CB metals and Tinsels/Shimmers.

So long as it's an option and people can report harassment accordingly, it's a decent idea and should be considered.

This shows my opinion on this. I might be hounded for my CB Gold, though at the same time a 2nd gen Holly wouldn't be bad with breeding between scrolls.

I wouldn't mind this being put into place, just as long as I could have an option to opt out. I normally breed my dragons to only one mate, so I wouldn't really be willing to breed my dragons to others' dragons.

The way I see it, if someone's going to be a jerk and harass people, they'd do it regardless of whether or not you'd be breeding to a mate of your own or with one of theirs. Someone who'd pester you to breed Cordial with one of their dragons when you already have the option disabled (the plan is to allow breeding requests to be turned off on individual dragons ^^) is probably already rude enough that they'd have pestered you from a 2nd gen from Cordial x one of your own dragons already, so I don't think things would be much different from how they are now.

So yah, just report those who harass you, same as you would for any other harassing breeding request, and enjoy those people who use it politely and decently to make awesome lineages. smile.gif

And I'm glad you're starting to see some of the appeal to the idea ^^

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Huh....I'm on the fence with this request. Traditionally I have said NO every time it has come up but the way you work it out has me now going with a tentative maybe. I like all of Socks Suggestions tbh. I would be pretty upset if I agreed to a breeding and got nadda out of it so both users getting a sibling egg would be preferable to me.

Edited by Reidragon

The way I see it, if someone's going to be a jerk and harass people, they'd do it regardless of whether or not you'd be breeding to a mate of your own or with one of theirs. Someone who'd pester you to breed Cordial with one of their dragons when you already have the option disabled (the plan is to allow breeding requests to be turned off on individual dragons ^^) is probably already rude enough that they'd have pestered you from a 2nd gen from Cordial x one of your own dragons already, so I don't think things would be much different from how they are now.

So yah, just report those who harass you, same as you would for any other harassing breeding request, and enjoy those people who use it politely and decently to make awesome lineages. :)

And I'm glad you're starting to see some of the appeal to the idea ^^

I don't think I was ever staunchly against the idea in the first place XD Perhaps hesitant, but not "omg this is breaking the game" 100% against it.

I DO like Sock's suggestion for it, but I can only imagine getting frustrated if I tried to breed Cordial to a Lurker on another scroll only to have it fail, because then I'd have to wait ANOTHER year.

I support this idea. I think many people are just protesting for strife's sake. Many questions/concerns have been alleviated, by way of a "Disable" option. You don't have to opt in.

I like this idea but, and I do not know if anyone else has suggested it.

I think if...YOU are the one that submits the request, YOU get the eggs or first choice, and then perhaps the eggs sit in a "teleport" like setting for maybe a day or so, and the other person has the choice of grabbing any others if there are multiple eggs.

I really do not like the idea of a 50% chance of whoevers scroll..sorry.

Support.

In fact, while I would have requests on for most of my dragons, I'd very rarely request breedings from others, as I much prefer to have all the dragons in my lineages on my scroll, to avoid name wipes and killed lineages.

Cheers!

C4.

I'm a little biased about all this sense I'm coming over to this game from Howrse, where users breeding their pixels to other people's pixels is one of the main functions of the game. So this just naturaly makes sense to me. However, I could see how this idea might not be"approved". In a game like Howrse, all the users are competitivly breeding their horses to, theoretically, be the best. Two female friesian mares may have identical images, but by no means have equal stats. In DC, a female purple, is a female purple, is a female purple. No matter what the personal preference of the user is (cb, non-inbred, ect.). Breeding is necessary in Howrse, because the next generation would be faster, stronger, and what have you. Breeding in DC would be souly for cosmetic purposes of the lineage. Not that I would ever say that it wasn't necessary, after all nothing about an online GAME is necessary, and I absolutely hate when people debate that point. But it might be a lot of coding for something so frivolous.

On that note, I would support this, because it would be a fun way to show off and see other people's dragons without out them being shoved enmass down your throat through click sites and such. It might even be the answer to those who want their individual dragon descriptions getting more attention, as more people are forced to look at individual dragons when they search for the correct mate amoung another's scroll (though, as afore mentioned it would be optional if people wanted to use this function). Not to mention the whole names business like you said.

I'm not sure I'm all for this, I mean it's a nice idea I suppose but I like DC the way it is. Besides if you could "pair up" with someone else's scroll and breed dragons than the rarity of all of the dragons would go down, maybe not by a lot but it would still go down.

I love the idea since it's very unlikely I'll ever be able to get any of the metallics, or other rare dragons--besides the holiday variety--from the cave. I just can't hang out on the sight that much and I have a rather slow internet connection so even if I DO see a rarer dragon, I don't get it.

I also think it would be cool to be able to breed some of my cave born dragons with cave borns of other players.