lttlelola

Re-Event

Yet no one responds to the desire to flip a table when upon realizing that you did all that work for nothing. If you reopen ToT since it was just another easter egg hunt, and find a magical collect-all button when you've collected 90 of them, how would you feel? I'd honestly have a strong desire to throw something across the room.

^This. I understand Sock's perspective against elitism, but when you worked for something or were there for an event and received a token because of it, it is a bit disheartening that someone who didn't could just click a button to receive it. It devalues the token in a way. What I like about DC, is that if you do miss something, we have amazing artists and hardworking organizers who make sure there are more events to try for badges.

...if you have a problem with a 'collect all' button then we can go back to the original suggestion of them hunting for 2013, then 2012, then 2011, etc.

Anyway, Lyth, in that case, your analogy would work (except that 500 is far greater than 40 something eggs), but doesn't make sense to me. It isn't work to collect the eggs.

This is why I support the "hunt and click for last year's" method; perhaps with greyed-out, or if the artist wants to keep the colors, faded out items instead. Obvious that they aren't the originals, but still there for you to look at and smile at your achievements.

I wouldn't want to collect a bunch of grey or faded easter eggs. What a horrible thought. I'd then prefer to have no old eggs at all...

^This. I understand Sock's perspective against elitism, but when you worked for something or were there for an event and received a token because of it, it is a bit disheartening that someone who didn't could just click a button to receive it. It devalues the token in a way. What I like about DC, is that if you do miss something, we have amazing artists and hardworking organizers who make sure there are more events to try for badges.

^this^

(I know I am an Evil Person, but I and a group of IRL mates quite enjoy being MEAN to each other about things one of us didn't complete !!!)

I wouldn't want to collect a bunch of grey or faded easter eggs. What a horrible thought. I'd then prefer to have no old eggs at all...

it also involves tweaking art... which is a big fat No.

Where do people take it from that someone "demanded" something or feels they should be treated in a special way? People asked if it could be made possible, which is different not only in a semantic way.

Also, all those tendentious examples about table flippers and exams are just as good an argument as opposite examples of happy players who were grateful and led a happy life ever after or real life events that were rereleased due to popular opinion. Books are printed in limited numbers, but they are reprinted if demand is there. I could build an example with a certain book that often is handed out for free to avoid the "yeah, but for money" argument, but since other examples included event trinkets that also were for sale, I won't. I'll just say that we can still buy Gibbons "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". Nobody tells us to suck it up because we weren't there in 1776 - 1789 to get one of the original copies. This example is just as bad as most of the other examples given in this thread. They proves nothing.

In the end, other places and people do has nothing to do with what we are discussing here. It simply comes down to the question if we want to exclude players or not. There is no middle ground (at least I can't see any).

---

I am against one-click acquisation because it should take the same amount of patience to get them as during the original event. If DC gives the opportunity to get the eggs later, it should be just as if they were there on time to do it.

I'd be against releasing only some of the eggs, because that somehow defeats the point of being able to "get them all".

Ok. I STARTED THIS TOPIC< and i'm glad that everyone has opinions, but I DID NOT start it to cause fights with forum members.

I also seen a lot of good ideas, and I hope that the people in charge will consider the ideas and the issues.

BUT. I also do think that it's NOT hurting anything to redo events like the egg or candy hunt or xmas bling. it's NOT a contest (anymore) and it's for OUR amusement.

also as for people putting up missing things, that to is a common issue i've noticed and experienced.

I didn't get half my badges for things, and for xmas, i did the right thing, on the right days, and i got nothing. I've also sent issue reports like most recently ALL my dragon lost their names. (which ticked me off since half of there were NOT english) and i've seemingly been ignored with an issue.

So why is it such an issue to re-event something? it would give the people who were here and had glitches to get the ones they supposedly missed and those who had no control over if they were here to have some fun.

after all IT"S ALL IN FUN. like i said, it's not a contest and NO ONE BRAGS about "oh i got the 2012 easter eggs and you didn't haha" no one cares! it's something to do for 24 hours (that is another issue but i'm not goin there cause I KNOW that will cause fights)

If all your dragons lost their names - that always happens if you don't log in for a couple of months. It is right there in the Terms and Conditions and also in the FAQs.

Q: All my dragons names disappeared; why?

A: If you are inactive and don't log into your scroll for two months, you will lose your dragon names so that other people who may want them will now have a chance to use them. See the terms and conditions for this information. Names that have disappeared cannot be retrieved; you will have to re-name your dragons on your own. If you search "cache:dragcave.net/user/name" (and "cache:dragcave.net/user/n/name/pg_# for each page"), you may be able to see the names you used to have and rename appropriately.

And sorry - but I can't agree with you here.

Hmm. On the one hand, having things re-released would be kind of nifty, but since that doesn't happen (with the sole exception of leetle trees), I can't see it happening. I seem to remember TJ vetoing any re-release concerning special release dragons. (I think it was in a very old suggestion thread about re-releasing hollies...) So, since this affects dragons and the reasoning was something like, "If you weren't there then, you can't get the special dragon," and I don't see why the reasoning should be different for badges. Sure, there are the easter egg baskets, but that's a different thing since the egg hunt has been repeated.

However, I am kind of neutral on this. *shrugs* (Yes, I have all the badges, at least I think so - and I also have all the items from each event.) On the one hand, I don't see the harm, on the other: If you were there last year and couldn't get all eggs/trick-or-treat items/whatever, what makes you think that you'll be able to get them and the new ones this year? (Meaning: I'm totally against a simple "collect all" button. Getting all eggs/treats was work, and took a huge amount of time and patience. Making a "collect all" button totally cheapens the accomplishment of getting them all. It's like a cheat module for collecting rare and/or uncommon Pokemon, or using a cheat to level them up to the highest level. So, if things get re-released, please to the same conditions as in the original event.)

Edited by olympe

I've been looking around and I've seen some really cool treats from past years. Ones I would really love to find. Problem is, once the year is past, you can never get those treats again sooo.......

What if on Halloween and ONLY Halloween, you can find treats from up to two years back?

Why?

Well, if you are like me and just started, it would be nice to catch up on all the cool stuff you missed, and I thought it would be nice for those who want to complete past collections. Also, it would make 'Trick or Treating' extra special that day.

So, thoughts?

omg, I can just imagine a newbie next year trying to grab like 40-60+ *new* treats *and* 201 (if I counted right, including this year) old treats!! I wonder if that's actually possible, given the drop-rate (I'm soooo not doing *that* math).

I'm neither for or against this suggestion. I understand it, certainly. If anything, I'd say that the current year's treats must all be gotten first, before they can start hunting for "past" treats.... I, personally, would be pissed off if I was treating all week and ended up with some from each past Halloween, but not a full set of the current year.

I must admit - I only have a strong opinion on the Dragon side of the matter, but overall - I'd say I'm leaning more towards no on a repeat.

I feel that there should be no re-releasing of Holiday dragons beyond the Honorable Mention prize dragons of raffles [partially to keep the value of having originals or offspring of originals - and partially to prevent the sudden flood of non CB Holiday dragons being killed/released due to the chance to get a CB].

Token/badge wise - Maybe. As other than making one's scroll look pretty, they really serve no purpose. With Easter and Halloween - as long as you find at least one treat/egg - you get the badge. Everything else you find after that only adds to the page you see when you click the basket/pail.

Plus, if a repeat happened the same time as a new treat hunt, players may become confused about why a treat is at the top of their page (where the 2010's are), and not at the bottom with the rest.

With decorating events - it's a bit easier, as new players would get the badge and can decorate a tree, while older players could have their original tree (which can not be changed) and a new tree to decorate. But this could potentially lead to new players wondering how they get an extra tree. So the confusion and complaints are still there.

I can certainly understand an artist who spent time on an event specifically requesting that event or their artwork not be allowed to be repeated. There is also the possibility that we could create some sort of low graphic intensive event in the future that would ask the artists if it would be ok to repeat occasionally and if that's what the event was created for, then people would be fine with it.

I would have no problem with this being a concept to be approved for certain future type of events but not only ones that passed as some creators donated their time with the intention that be a one time only special.

So if old events were not part of it, but some kind of new event idea, and you knew that upfront if you participated in its creation, would you be ok with that? Or what parts would you be or not be ok with? I think its just as valid to consider something in the future and not just talk about whats already been. Because we can't really change the past always if there was an understanding in place. I can understand that perspective.

I'm against a re-release of any sort.

I view the DC events just like a convention.

If you were there, you had the full experience of the convention. You saw the events, official and unofficial, you saw the cosplayers, you saw the unintentional incidents, you met people. You were there.

In the case of things like the badges and the easter eggs, that's what they are: they are your experiences at the DC event. They are not trinkets you bought at the event. They ARE the events: the meetings, the people, the cosplayers, the lectures. The staying up late watching a few of your convention friends empty out a barrel of beer while you laugh your ass off. Everything.

Time is linear. It moves forward. No matter how much a friend of mine would like to go back in time and join me at a past convention, they can't, because its already happened. They may be able to watch a lot of it on tape, or buy trinkets, but they can't experience it. RL has all sorts of limited edition things, from limited release books you can only get for a certain time to limited release cars you can only get for a certain time, to limited time deals.

I'm sorry for those who have missed DC events, but.... You were not there. And yes, I would be pissed if events and badges were re-released. I was there. You weren't. I'm sorry, but with everything in life, if you missed something, you can't go back in time and re-do it.

C4.

I'm one of those who completed, then lost part of my egg collecting with a data loss in the 2011 Easter event. I couldn't be around for the 15 hour re-do event for the Festival of Eggs, since I was involved with a horrendous moving project, and could not break away. While I would like a way to recollect what I had, overall, I think it comes under the category of "you had to be there!"

Personally, I'm against this. I've missed a few events, and I'm sad about the lost badges, but I deal with it. They're special because you have to be on FOR THE EVENT, and if you aren't then tough toenails. If we start redoing events, then it cheapens the experience of those who went out of their way to get on over the holidays or what have you.

Nah, re-events will negate the value of their originals. As much as I'd love to have a chance to get the Halloween 2013 Graves (Yes, i missed out on the breed because I simply forgot), I don't think the idea of re-events is good.

Honestly, I think it would be super awesome if I could do the events I missed and get the badges! I really hate that I was gone for a few years and missed all of the events. My page would look nice and not like I'm a beginner with only a few badges, and I would have the proper banners on my Trick or Treat page.

But alas, C4 said it most eloquently: they're like conventions.

And more than just conventions...they're basically ANY sort of event: birthdays, parties, weddings, funerals, anniversaries, inaugurations, speeches, etc. They just can't happen again! Sure, you can see all the info about the event, just like you can go through a photo album or videotapes or youtube to see what happened at the event, but you'll NEVER be able to live it. Not again. Such is life, sadly.

Just a thought that came to mind... personally, I don't care about earning badges for the years I missed out. Nevertheless, I would like to be able to do the events others got to experience. If most people here mainly are concerned about wishing to simply play a previous event again, how about there being a semi-separate site connected to Dragon Cave (sort of like how the forum is a part of Dragon Cave yet separate from the site itself) that allows members to play or do the activities.

In this, they will not earn badges that will appear on their scrolls or anywhere else. These games could be available before the present event takes place. They would have the same time limits as the original ones and you have to get everything. If you manage to finish them on time, you can get a screen capture of the items you collected or design you created. On it would be the date achieved with your user name. Save the file and do what you will. Display your accomplishment on a personal website, print it out and admire it on your wall, etc. This will only happen once. After you've successfully finished, you can simply always go back and go through the activities again, but you will gain nothing other than the pleasure of playing.

For those who don't complete the event in time, like the egg collecting in particular, they "lose" and will have to try again next year.

*Shrugs* It is just an idea.

I don't think this is going to work. How are you supposed to send fun messages to people from here or destroy their snow forts or send them flowers if you're on an entirely different site?

Because those who have access will be all members to the "Event Gaming" website. DC members only.

So, this would have to be something where you can log in with your DC account (so people don't come there from who knows where), but at the same time, it shouldn't be tied to what is shown on your scroll?

I think it would be easier to re-release the events during their respective season. This would also allow older players and newer players to interact, like with the snow forts or Valentine flowers/messages and the like.

So, this would have to be something where you can log in with your DC account (so people don't come there from who knows where), but at the same time, it shouldn't be tied to what is shown on your scroll?

I think it would be easier to re-release the events during their respective season. This would also allow older players and newer players to interact, like with the snow forts or Valentine flowers/messages and the like.

I'm with olympe. A separate site would be a PIA, and would exclude all sorts of people who'd never know about it and so on.

More games to play at holiday times, when we have finished (or got annoyed with !) the latest one, would be fun.

More games to play at holiday times, when we have finished (or got annoyed with !) the latest one, would be fun.

Yes. I'd love to re-decorate my tree, and maybe even my snow fort. (I love my wreath and my gingerbread house as they are, thank you very much.) I'd also love to be able to collect the Easter eggs I missed last year due to being on vacation and away from the internet, at least over time. And I'd definitely love to send more cute messages like we could do last Valentine's, not to mention be able to play mana alchemy again.

Should this ever be an option, though, I think that snow forts shouldn't be able to be destroyed. I'd also like to see an option for Valentine flowers to get removed, since some people asked for specific flowers to keep a color scheme.

I think it should work as in nothing gets to STICK (sorry about your tree, olympe) - just give the ability to play a non-permanent manner.