lttlelola

Re-Event

I might have worded wrong what I wanted to reply, so let me clarify.

The group of players who missed out does not consist to a hundred percent of players who have annual obligations. There is a large portion of players who joined later and will not have obligations. There might have been players with a surpising work  obligation, a vacation which will not reoccur or whatever singular reason one might think of. I just wanted to point out that there are other theoretical users whose interests should be considered in the discussion as well if we are discussing the whys and why nots.

I see the line of your argument. I didn't manage to see yet why that type of player should be the one we evaluate the interests of the whole DC userbase on (at least, that is how I understand your example - otherwise could you please show me/explain what I misunderstood). There are other types of players whose interests should be considered.

The way I see it, lack of interest of your theoretical player in the event would rather originate in the fact that they don't have the time to do the event in the first place. If they do not have the time to do the "new" event, they will of course get a backlog. But in my opinion, a backlog is way better then the exclusion from getting event items. They may in the end have the same practical result (for your theoretical user), but the effect on other players is very different.

I agree that it could be demotivating to some. But if those players only collect event items because otherwise they will miis out forever - then I prefer the real interest of those who collect them because they like them. As it is now, the player has only two choices. To say it with Yoda: Do or do not. There is no try. By rereleasing former event items, there'd be: "Do or do not. Or do it later." Three opitons to accomodate the user's playstyle.

I think there are circumstances where parents prevent their children from getting event items, but one or two years later, they will be in college or deemed old enough to not having to go on easter vacation (there will come a time where teenagers will not want to go on vacation with their parents) or allowed to use the internet without supervision. While those cases might not be the majority, they won't won't be insignificant in numbers.

I realize I'm not going to respond to most of your points. They are good points. I am not ignoring them, so I'll just preemptively concede everything that isn't covered in this post.

Dolphinsong is one of those you speak of with a non-annual Thing barring her from an event: she's likely going to miss the Valentine's event due to having a baby, and it's not likely that she'll have a baby every year around that time. But she, knowing that the site has annual Valentine's events, is planning ahead and having a friend with no obligations to help her out. Is this not what people already do with event drops, rather than event scavenger hunt items? Get catchers? I almost didn't finish the first ToT because I had work, and I almost didn't catch all the black marrows I wanted; I had friends help me with both (and then one of the marrows gendered wrong and my genderswap was sniped, /qq) and had them completed. I never got all the Valentine's cards/poems and never will, mostly because everyone and their dog thought they were being clever by sending me a rose card with the vine poem on it. And I'm okay with that because, while the completionism is strong in me, I also realize that I hadn't done everything I could/should have to complete that event. That's a thing that happens. Sometimes you can't finish. Why do people have to finish? Why is a backlog better than "I did my best"?

At the end of the day I just missed a bunch of pixels. If you want to try and say "if they're so meaningless why are you so possessive", well... why are they so important to you? I'm not losing "my" pixels, but why are they so important to you that you have to have them all no matter what? Completionism? Perfect completionism is already impossible in this game. People seek eggs from bright pinks and frills and account-bound alts to get as close as they can, but why is it that people will settle for "as close as I can" with eggs, the main focus of the game, without asking for a change in the system, but not frivolous event doodads that are just side things that have absolutely no bearing on normal gameplay?

Though what I'm actually afraid of with this is that it opens the door for people to demand re-releases of CB holidays. What a massive chaotic mess that would be.

Edited by Lythiaren

Catching for others has been defined as multiscrolling several times - as even is logging in to fog eggs, by scroll-sitters ! this has come up repeatedly. I wouldn't risk it and I sure as hell wouldn't post about it if I were feeling I might need to... ninja.gif

I almost missed out on a load of Easter eggs when my connection went down one year - and I too have family obligations. Isn't that a risk one takes with everything in life ? I missed a family wedding because I had to be in another country. I was very sad indeed - but them's the breaks, at times.

I admit the FIRST Easter egg hunt was unannounced. OK - but since then - we do pretty much know they will happen....

Catching for others has been defined as multiscrolling several times - as even is logging in to fog eggs, by scroll-sitters ! this has come up repeatedly. I wouldn't risk it and I sure as hell wouldn't post about it if I were feeling I might need to... ninja.gif

I almost missed out on a load of Easter eggs when my connection went down one year - and I too have family obligations. Isn't that a risk one takes with everything in life ? I missed a family wedding because I had to be in another country. I was very sad indeed - but them's the breaks, at times.

I admit the FIRST Easter egg hunt was unannounced. OK - but since then - we do pretty much know they will happen....

Fuzzy, we know that they've happened somewhere between April 4 and 23. Are we supposed to clear out the month of April entirely?

How about this? We have 2 different times for each event, plus do the hunt for 2013, then 2012, etc. eggs thing. Take this year for example. Calendar for reference. Valentine's Day was on a Tuesday. So, from the 10-12, you can choose to hunt Easter eggs, or you can hunt from the 17-19. You cannot hunt at both events.

Then we've got Halloween. (Don't remember if that was a weekend thing; pretend it was.) It's on a Wednesday. From 26-28 or from November 2-4, you can hunt for candy/do the haunted mansion/etc., but you can't do it on both days.

Next is Christmas. Let's pretend it's a 12 day thing always. Christmas is on a Tuesday. From 13-24 or 26- January 6, you can hunt.

This will alleviate lag and provide more flexibility and fairness. DC should be a challenging game, not a frustrating one.

I understand what you're saying, but I think that the event organizers and admins have their hands awfully full with single events. Back-to-back events, even if one was a repeat, sound kind of like a nightmare to put together. You've seen how busy the cave and the boards are with just single holiday events.

Also, I saw that you'd questioned the floating date of the Easter event - but Easter itself is on a different date every year - it varies from the end of March to the end of April. The event has been held at Easter time every year, and I honestly think that's easier to remember than having a fixed date that may or may not be near Easter on that year. Easter is marked on most calendars and can be looked up on the internet, for those who don't celebrate it.

Again, I'm not against the idea! I am just having trouble envisioning a workable way to implement it.

I really think this question should go to TJ and all the people involved in the events (organizers, spriters, mods, etc.). It's clear that there's some strong feeling involved on the part of some players, but they are the only group who can really say yea or nay.

Fuzzy, we know that they've happened somewhere between April 4 and 23. Are we supposed to clear out the month of April entirely?

Um. It's very easy to find out when Easter is going to be every year. Google....

I would be unopposed to letting people get past years' Christmas decorations if they were able to redecorate their trees and wreaths. However, right now we can't do that, so getting those that you missed is pointless. And of course there is no "re-do" on the contests, so it's just redecorating your tree and wreath, if this ever comes to be.

I dunno. I may change my mind a little bit about Easter as long as past year's hunting is part of each annual hunt. (as outlined by Thuban) Get this year's, then if you are missing past years' eggs and there is time left on the event clock you can get some of those too.

As for ToT, the artists put a ton of work into making each year's event unique and interesting. I feel it cheapens that by letting people "re-do" the event.

As for Valentines, the whole point of that was sending cards to people. There is no re-do on that either. If we do another Valentines event, it should be unique to that year, and not a re-hash of last year's.

I'm pretty on the fence on the whole issue. As long as the thing is restricted to non-dragons I am not entirely opposed to it.

However that being said - past non-dragon events are, for lack of a better term (I need my caffeine...) Easter eggs. They don't affect the main gameplay of DC in any way. It's just a silly little thing to do on the holiday. (I specify "past" since CB Tinsels were obtained during some of said events.)

To me, "event" implies something that is limited in nature and is not going to return. I also do not see much need for them to return since they do not affect gameplay and are only represented by a tiny badge at the top of the scroll. However I am not adverse to them returning for the same reason - it doesn't really matter. I am more inclined that they do not return, however.

Regarding people missing out due to "lack of notification"...

Older DC players probably now expect something to occur on holidays as they have seen it happen before. I also feel there is ample notification for newer users, provided they visit the forum.

As the forum is separate from the game, I would not mind seeing a notification on the main DC site of an upcoming event (maybe a week in advance?), that links to the event pre-announcement post in News.

That being said, from observation, events that occur when people are often traveling (i.e. Christmas) last longer. Christmas eggs become ridiculously easy to get during the last day or so of the drop, because most people already have their allotment of 2. (Folks often want the normal drops to return sooner!)

I actually missed a day of ornaments last Christmas because I forgot to log in. Oops! But it still doesn't affect the way I play DC and I don't expect a way to get them now.

you look up when easter is (because easters date /changes/ every year) and you know the event is near easter.

Ok: it looks like we have some ideas coming up now. So lets compile a list.

Not happening:

Collecting ornaments for trees/wreaths (wince they are not decoratable anyhow)

Valentines

ToT

Under consideration but still leaning towards no:

easter.

Edited by Thuban

Just curious but would it satisfy the "it's not fair" crowd if they were able to pick up the missed Easter eggs in one fell swoop? Click a button and here you go, no hunting or collecting involved.

Personally I couldn't see myself going for such a thing, but if your only aim is that you want what what you don't have then maybe it would satisfy that?

That would make it even worse, IMO. Because I worked for it, I made time for it.

And then, somebody who didn't, just clicks a magical button and gets everything? Well, then why the heck even bother doing the event? Why not give everybody a "click here to skip the event and just get the stuff you would have collected" button?

MAYBE if that were the option, they come as one lump (a single block image), so it would be obvious by the image that that was how they had been acquired ?

As an orginizer for an easter hunt I am against re-event for that. I've already stated my opinion on the matter.

As an orginizer for an easter hunt I am against re-event for that. I've already stated my opinion on the matter.

And I already said that in MY view, the views of organisers (and spriters of the eggs etc) as you trump everyone else's.

But if it is still being considered - at least a solid block of the eggs would show that they weren't obtained from the event...

like the block image used in the wiki you mean. That killed the animation for my egg. It would not work for the majority of this years eggs. It would be obvious that lazy clicking is how it was done though.. so i give props to the idea.

Dolphinsong: your stance has been made well known. We arent ignoring that stance, its understood. It doesnt mean we cant allow people to come up with ideas on how to make it work though.

A couple artists have popped up with slight support for the easter aspect. the other holidays.. not so much. If some are willing to support the "idea" then why not give people a chance to come up with a solution we can all agree with?

(and i will once again throw the reminder that planning ahead by having other people do the event for you is not ok. Allowing other people to use your scroll is a form of multiscrolling so is not a viable reason to shoot this idea down.)

Edited by Thuban

Just to be clear I'm not in favor of the idea either. I was brought up with the adage that "life sucks and then you die", meaning that life is never fair. biggrin.gif

But... if the idea won enough support I'd rather it were something obvious that it wasn't from the original event.

Besides I'm still just a little confuzzled as to whether it's not having the eggs, or not getting to go on a hunt and collect them, that is the issue for the people that want a re-do?

People seek eggs from bright pinks and frills and account-bound alts to get as close as they can, but why is it that people will settle for "as close as I can" with eggs, the main focus of the game, without asking for a change in the system, but not frivolous event doodads that are just side things that have absolutely no bearing on normal gameplay?

Most of the userbase knows that - and why - Old Pinks will definitely not be available again, and Frills only as contest HM. And of course that it will not change even if they ask for it. We don't know that for event items, though. My guess is that, considering that it is a side thing with no effect on the main game, users feel that asking for it is not hopeless and also not "too much to ask".

Requesting CB holidays to be rereleased on the other hand would effect the main game, not only the availibility of CB Holidays, but also the drops, since they would have to drop inbetween the new Holiday edition eggs. There is a significant difference to event items that only affect their own scroll, and again I believe that the userbase knows and accepts that the possibility to get bred Holidays is as far as the game goes and that this will not change. As for completion - at least they get the sprite, while with event items they don't.

Edited by Rally Vincent

Besides I'm still just a little confuzzled as to whether it's not having the eggs, or not getting to go on a hunt and collect them, that is the issue for the people that want a re-do?

I think it's mainly not having the eggs. After all, if the past is any indication, there'll be a new Easter hunt this year, so they can still have fun collecting. But they currently have no way to retrieve the old eggs. DC is all about collecting, so having there be things you can't collect if you missed a certain date is quite saddening!

@Rally Vincent: I support you wholeheartedly! Plus, people can always get pretty 2nd gen Holiday dragons later even if they missed the original release. With the event items, there's no way they can ever gain them again, not even a watered-down version... that's what I'm ok with the idea of having the event badges for missed events be greyscale or something, as just like with having 2nd gen Holidays, that's proof that you weren't around for the original release.

I'm against the Re-Event idea.. I would state why, but many have already said exactly what I would have. I don't want to sound like a broken record. smile.gif

I'm against the Re-Event idea.. I would state why, but many have already said exactly what I would have. I don't want to sound like a broken record. smile.gif

This, pretty much. I see no need to re-create an event that has passed -- I don't really participate in Easter because there are no real 'dragons' to obtain. I also couldn't get the 2011 Halloween badge because I couldn't get all 50 items (I doubt I even got close). It may be unfair, but I'm not about to whine when I know people have gotten cool items out of it.

Support.

Of course, contests couldn't re-happen and I think it'd be a lot of work to have to put up the haunted house or something again, but I don't see any reason why people can't collect the pretty sprites.

Even pokemon have limited events. Namely events such as the Spiked Eared Pichu for example? Only way to get those is to go to such and such locations during such and such time periods to get them. They don't re-release those eithers for those who missed.

I'm pretty sure I've specifically seen you, on several occasions, argue that this is not a Pokemon site and just because a Pokemon site, such as GPX, does something, doesn't mean we should. Why is it that you're now using Pokemon as an excuse to /not/ re-release? As you've pointed out in the past, we aren't Pokemon, nor are we a Pokemon site. There's no reason we should be bound by their rules.

Why bother to make events with a limited window of participation if they're not limited?

What if it's just limited to that holiday, as that would make sense? I've never understood why people couldn't get things from past events.

Retired dragons are a different matter altogether - they can't be gotten again because of artist permission.

But a one time event? What does it really matter? Why can't you get the old Easter Egg sprites? What does it harm?

If people really want a way to differentiate - don't give them the original separators.

Say someone comes this year and has gotten no previous Easter Eggs. This year, they can search for this years eggs and then past eggs they haven't gotten yet start showing up. The separator never shows up and all the eggs are just clumped together for the year that you got them.

I mean, technically, you participate in an Easter event one year and you'll only get that years eggs and whatever is inside of them, but this isn't real live - it's a fun little game site. o3o

And aren't most of these holidays about giving and sharing, anyway?

Another thing to consider. Some of the artists from previous events are no longer part of the site. Its not fair to re-release something when the artist is no longer around.

As I recall, people were not given artist credits, besides on the forum, for the event. People who make badges receive an artist badge, but not for event sprites. So why do we need permission?

Also, artists specifically said "I want these sprites out of the cave" (BP and frills). Has any artist of the sprites ever specifically said "I only want this in cave this year and never again"?

To draw pleasure from this seems to be a bit petty to me. It is not a mindset I endorse. Just my opinion, and I seem to be in the minority.

I have to agree. The sprites are there for you to enjoy, whether you have some or just drool over them on other scrolls, not for you to lord over people. 3=

As I stated before, and as had several others, it is not our responsibality to cater to those who missed out on the event(s).

No one is asking you to do that. I'm not sure where you pulled it from. It's not like you have to re-sprite the old sprites or re-write old stories or anything.

?????????

Whats the point in designing a new round of holiday events each year if we're just going to allow those who missed out (again not our responsibality) previous ones a chance to do those events?

What's the point in putting so much work into an event that is only going to last once a year and then no one can enjoy it again?

No one said it was artists fault that people couldn't make it to the events. That has nothing to do with this discussion.

To me, it kinda feels like saying, "Hey, we know you didn't win a gold medal at the last Olympics. Would you like to re-try to beat the winners last time? If you do, we'll give you a gold medal, too!"

Except that this is a fun game people play in their spare time, not an intense athletic event they train their whole life for. I don't really even see how this is comparable. It seems like a huge slap to the athletes who put so much time into a life goal. D:

The great thing about this game is the flexibility in being able to do it on your own time.

So... given a user who missed out on, say, a chunk of Easter one year due to family obligations, and assuming their situation hasn't changed significantly (ie. no sudden emergencies or other life-changing circumstances, so they're still visiting relatives or having Easter egg hunts and generally having RL fun instead of sitting in front of a computer spamming F5 like a well-trained lab rat pressing a lever for bonus food pellets)... what makes you think this theoretical user would be on during a following Easter for long enough to complete the current year and get into retroactive collection? They'd just build up a backlog

I don't really see how that's pressure, but if people would find it too pressuring, how about a "I'm done collecting eggs option" (and a "skip") option. People have at least requested a skip/don't want option in the past for just about every event, anyway. x3

How about this? We have 2 different times for each event, plus do the hunt for 2013, then 2012, etc. eggs thing.

This isn't a bad idea if people are so worried about pressure. Past events start after the current event and last for a few days or whatever.

It is unfair to those who DID attend the event to allow one to still get said event items after that peticular event is over.

It's really not. I'm very confused as to where this idea popped up from. =\

I was not racing other users to make sure I got sprites and they didn't. I didn't steal sprites from others. We all collected our own on whatever time we had. The point was for me to get them for myself, not for me to get them so I could lord it over others.

DC is not responsible for you missing the event when it has given fair warning.

I haven't seen anyone claim this. ?????

Re-releasing events is a big NO in my book, no matter what kind of compermise is made. Even MMO games have ONE TIME ONLY events.

World of Warcraft, twice they had an anversity done where those who log in during that week receives a noncombat pet in their mail. One was a Blizzard Cub, another year it was the Onyxia Whelpling. Those who missed out will NEVER receive those items, no matter how much they beg.

EverQuest 2 has their own limited events, called Live Events, that run for a set duration and once its over, thats it, it'll never happen again.

Guild Wars has their own holiday events, where you can get up to two custome masks, but they never release those masks again after that year's event is over.

All three of those games, the event items are basically untradable, meaning they cannot be given/sold to those who missed out. There are games that have limited events that allows trading/selling of those items but they are so expensive the average player cannot afford them.

Good for them. That has nothing to do with us. It's not like the internet police will hunt us down for re-releasing. =p

Dude, it's common sense that updates are on forums tongue.gif

We have users who aren't allowed a forum account - who aren't even allowed on the forum, with or without supervision. What are they supposed to do? 3=

We also have users who don't really know all that much about the internet, much less ever visited a forum. I've talked with plenty of users (some who finally joined the forum, some who I'm in contact in other ways) who admitted that they turned away from the forum several times or were scared off from joining because of the size and they didn't understand how forums worked.

The forums are great, but forum and cave accounts aren't connected because not everyone visits or is a part of the forum. I've always been confused why people think that anyone who plays the game should have to join the forum. Sometimes, people just want a simple something to mess around with. o3o

Me and Lyth both organized past events and we both feel that if you missed out on it, there's no second change, just try to be there for the next release of the event.

Anyway I think the event organisers' feelings do trump everyone else's, to be honest.

I'm not sure what you guys organizing events really has to do with anything. Event organizers get a special badge, but no one ever suggested that users get that special badge. Event organizers also aren't the end-all-be-all-power-in-charge-of-the-event. That is more TJ's place. I was under the impression that events were discussed and people worked together to hash out the details.

I respect that you are both against the suggestion - every user is allowed an opinion, but being an event organizer doesn't really have to do with anything here. ^^

It makes me, as an organizer, feel cheap and not as proud of the work I put into the event.

If I were an event organizer, I'd just be glad that more people want to be able to participate in the event and that I had some part in the event being some sort of success, something people wanted to continue to be able to partake in. I mean - what a feat!

Apathy happens faster when urgency is gone. People care less about collecting things when they're not limited. This is why procrastination is so prevalent: "I can finish it later" is a powerful demotivator.

What's so wrong with that? So they do the event the next year. That's it. Nothing happens. They just miss out on the sprites that year and do it some other time. That's up to them, not us!

Let's look at it the other way, too. It could be a powerful motivator for people who want to catch up on past events or people who don't want to fall behind, such as myself. o3o

Was curious about what this topic had been about. While skimming through most of the replies came across one about decorating the trees. It was from my understanding that after the event had been concluded we'd be able to decorate our tree again. Yet, that did not happen nor previously with the start of the wreath. Had it been changed? I could not find anything on the wiki pages say otherwise. Not really an issue to me honestly, just curious.

Basically, TJ didn't have the time and that was all I'd heard forever ago. Then this topic finally popped up: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=129764 I'm not sure if TJ ever posted. I can check tomorrow or the day after that, though. :3

Just curious but would it satisfy the "it's not fair" crowd if they were able to pick up the missed Easter eggs in one fell swoop? Click a button and here you go, no hunting or collecting involved.

Heck, I'm even okay with this.

If people are still really upset over it, perhaps there's just a way to see these missed sprites under some account place rather than the badge and then only the user could see them as prepared to everybody or something.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

You put it brilliantly, Sock!

Though one person (I think Thuban) pointed out that a group image won't work because some eggs are animated.

You put it brilliantly, Sock!

Though one person (I think Thuban) pointed out that a group image won't work because some eggs are animated.

Isn't that just part of what you lose by having to make do with an after event image ? as in "them's the breaks" ??

Isn't that just part of what you lose by having to make do with an after event image ? as in "them's the breaks" ??

Well, the problem they had with it was that it would ruin their art, and I can understand that concern. If it needs to be a group image, maybe put the animated ones separate?

Sock, this whole thread revolves around some responsibility people are seemingly trying to lump on DC to allow people to revisit a oneshot event that has passed. Basically suggesting that newbies are special snowflakes who need to have all the old event stuff.

Scavenger hunt items and the like have no effect on gameplay to speak of. They, like badges, are nothing more than side items, distractions. And, like the limited badges that were only awarded for being here at a certain time, those should be limited to those who were here at the time of award. Where you'd feel proud that someone would want to redo your event, I'd feel like my work to run an event is cheapened, especially when you consider the amount of drama that is coupled with every event. To rerelease means that all the drama will extend forever, telescoping to infinity as more people join in and find issue with some past event they're revisiting, a year or more after the thing should've died, and dragging it out again and again and again, reminding us year after year that something was left out or someone made something even remotely questionable.

The event is done and gone, and the event doodads are not souvenirs, but memories. If you want another analogy, say I baked special unique mini cupcakes every year on my birthday, and changed the recipe every year so I'd only ever make any given kind once, ever. If someone misses one, I'm not going to fire up my oven the next year to make the one they missed just for them. It completely defeats the point of unique birthday cupcake day. Everyone else came last year and enjoyed their cupcake, and this year's is something completely different. A person can enjoy photos of last year's cupcakes all they want, but they're not entitled to the cupcake they missed no matter how big of a temper tantrum they throw at me. After all, they're my cupcakes that I baked for a special annual occasion. They obviously can't get them from anyone else, they were eaten and digested last year. But if they come up to me on my birthday and tell me I need to make them last year's cupcake because they're new to unique birthday cupcake day, I'm going to throw a spatula at them and tell them to get out of my kitchen.

Edited by Lythiaren

Lyth, I quote Nine from the Breeding Between Scrolls thread:

However, I really don't like the constant reasoning of "but it would create drama" I see in suggestion threads. Everything could cause drama. New dragons could create drama, bug fixes could cause drama, adding features like Teleport creates drama. Holy carp and tuna, nothing would get done if everyone was in constant, paralyzing fear of theoretically, possible causing drama.

The problem with the cupcake analogy is that they're not just your images. It's not just your event. Birthdays are all about you; site-wide events are not.

"But it would create drama" is not the argument. It's that it will perpetuate existing drama that we know exists and will be dredged back up from the abyss. Like people taking jabs at TCA and myself, among others, for making Homestuck-themed event items, to say nothing of the rabid social justice warriors who won't skip a beat setting up their soapboxes to shame people for choosing to represent xyz religions.

Birthday analogy can also be easily expanded to a group of friends with close birthdays, or if you prefer, turned into a community event onnnnnn say June 15th in which people all over town all bake the same types of cupcakes on the same day and hand them out to people in the town square, for no reason other than doing something fun for the community. Someone demanding last year's cupcake still wouldn't make any sense. They missed it, no one's going to go find last year's recipe just to stroke their sense of self-entitlement and inability to grasp the concept of "I missed out".

Edited by Lythiaren