lttlelola

Re-Event

The reason I put separate is so it wouldn't interfere with the DCave, thus causing a great deal of lag. Also, in note, it was written as semi-separate. While items you collect or games you play wouldn't earn you a badge on your scroll, a link would appear on the DC website during the holidays that would allow you to enter the sister-site to play the events with other existing members, new and old.

The link could appear on people's scrolls around the top of the page, or on the navigation. "Past Holiday Events" or something. Outside holiday times, it would show a page that describes it as a special DC "extra gaming" area that opens up on specific holiday months - like the first two weeks before the present activities start.

When a holiday is approaching the past events used on said holiday will be accessible to all DC users for the original time span of the event.

I haven't read the whole topic, so I imagine that I might be repeating stuff already said earlier. Sorry if I am.

Personally, I would love the opportunity to pick up the Easter eggs/Halloween treats/ what have you that I've missed in the past. Being the pack rat I am, I love collecting stuff, and having things barred to me and lost forever really bugs me.

Now, Dragon Cave is really good about this. Much better than the other adoption sites I've seen. No pay walls. No timed dragons (with one pseudo exception, but that's a discussion for another topic). Any dragon can be gained through hard work and a little luck, even the holiday dragons that you've missed or prize dragons. They're not first gen or cave born, and that's fine with me. Those who were present at the time of release can have that as a marker to show that they were there.

But if we provide this opportunity for the dragons, why not the other collectibles? There could be some way to show they were collected after the fact. Maybe put in a separate category or something, or not advancing the badge (like the Easter egg basket not filling up). I haven't heard complaints of the holiday dragons being devalued because of their ability to breed. Why is there resistance to the other collectibles?

As a relatively new player I feel so much like a worse category of a player, denied everything especially by other, veteran players out of some selfishness of of those players who happened to discover the game much sooner than I could.

I feel very much looked down on. Treated like the lower class.

What TJ does is TJ's thing and right but I hate to see such attitude from PLAYERS.

Books are printed in limited numbers, but they are reprinted if demand is there.

Now the game is played by sth like a few times more people than in the past when e.g. Hollies were released. Now is when the game would flourish the most, especially if the game got some things re-released one every few years, like e.g. 5 or sth.

Want sth exclusive very few peple can have? Play a pay-to-win game. Plenty of that around. And I hate those games for being like that, for exclusive contents newer and poorer players can't have. I play one game like this and it's getting repulsive, I'm considering dumping it. All of these kind ended up like that for me after up to a few months.

(BTW I'm glad to see at least the suggestion of re-releasing CB holidays going on and having a lot of 'yes'. )

C'mon, please, dont' be selfish and struggling from letting others have as much fun as you could have.

I've been here for like 2 years and I'd love to see newer players being able to take part and get what I could get. Like e.g. 'fake' eggs from Easter 2014, buildng a fort etc, (plus CB Graves, CB Radiant Angels BTW)...

Ofc contest/raffle mini-games wouldn't be offering prizes anymore but why shouldn't everyone have the fun of simply playing those and obtaining items/dragons and admiring their badges's sprite?

And do you really have to be like refusing others to get sth just because you have it and want to feel so 'special'?:/ WTH really? Does it (others, newer here, getting a chance to get sth you have) really make you feel like if Christmas has been cancelled???!!! -if that happened ofc

I don't care how many people have X as long as I also can possibly have it too.

(slight edit to make it clearer I mentioned CB holiday re-release only aside to the main thing of the mini-games, badges etc. as it was't clear enough to some)

Edited by VixenDra

This thread is about re-opening games. There is a separate one about CBs of past holidays.

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=169053

Please utilize the above provided link if you want to discuss re-releasing cbs of past holiday dragons.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I don't care how many people have X as long as I also can possibly have it too.

Personally, I still feel the badges and such are like what you get at a convention: the pictures, the memories, and the "I was there" grab-bag of stuff. Those should not be re-released. After all.... You weren't there to share in the memories.

And I'm really sorry you missed them.... But yes. I'm perfectly happy to deny someone who *wasn't there* the "I was there" badge. ~Removed~ demanding that you be given something you were not there for. It would be like my younger sibling demanding that they be given extra presents for the 2 years of Holidays and birthdays that they weren't born yet for.

This subject can be viewed many different ways. I am dead against the badges coming back ever, and ambivalent on the games.

Cheers!

C4.

Please keep the discussion on topic.

Personally, I still feel the badges and such are like what you get at a convention: the pictures, the memories, and the "I was there" grab-bag of stuff. Those should not be re-released. After all.... You weren't there to share in the memories.

This, in terms of being able to SAVE the games. But playing them - and no badge would be available ! - with no facility to save the results (even for those whose trees went belly-up) seems a reasonable idea. It could happen through a link in the CURRENT (new) game..."Play past games ?" so that new users with no badge for - say - Aliset could find them

And I'm really sorry you missed them.... But yes. I'm perfectly happy to deny someone who *wasn't there* the "I was there" badge. It would be like my younger sibling demanding that they be given extra presents for the 2 years of Holidays and birthdays that they weren't born yet for.

This subject can be viewed many different ways. I am dead against the badges coming back ever, and ambivalent on the games.

Cheers!

C4.

BTW Halloween basket badge is forever empty if you started later. Also if you hover above a badge you can see some text, and this could simply tell if it was achieved during the original release or re-release. You'd still be 'special'.

And I'm not asking to BE GIVEN things but to be simply allowed to get them on my own. This is a completely different thing.

And it's not the same, it's a game, not real-life. I feel your comparison irrelevant. Especially the make-up presents for 2 years difference... actually she'll get her presents just kind of later...

If you get yourself an average game you rarther don't get a ripped off version of it just for discovering and getting the game later than others. Nothing is removed from the original game... (maybe exept for bugs/glitches) Unless it's the pay-to-win kind of...thing... to which DC doesn't belong.

also:

we can still buy Gibbons "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". Nobody tells us to suck it up because we weren't there in 1776 - 1789 to get one of the original copies.

ETA - pardon ?

If you get yourself an average game you rarther don't get a ripped off version of it just for discovering and getting the game later than others.

RIPPED OFF ? ~Removed~ LOADS of games, if you missed it, you lose it, the end.

ETA beciase you ETAs

also:

we can still buy Gibbons "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". Nobody tells us to suck it up because we weren't there in 1776 - 1789 to get one of the original copies.

But you can never get a first edition (or not without paying THOUSANDS of dollars.)

Past events are past events, and out of reach.

And I do believe these all should be available again as they were initially.

And I do believe these all should be available again as they were initially.

the discussion about accessing past games etc - which is something that would be a very nice addition to the site. As I thought you agreed - maybe I was wrong.

I'm fine with the idea of people being able to get past Easter eggs and Halloween treats since they don't do anything except look pretty.

However, I can see why some people might get annoyed at this. On lots of sites, event trophies are your way of showing off that you've been an active user for a long time. On here tho, simply having a gazillion dragons is how you show off your account age.

Previous years's stuff should only drop after you get the current set, and they should only drop during the appropriate time.

Couple diff random ideas:

1 - Add a "completed on" date for the Easter egg and Halloween treat collections. Obviously, if the year matches up, then that user was around for the event. This way, people could still prove/show off having been there, but if you miss a year or even just one trinket you could grab it next time. Would also help with figuring out when you're done hunting.

2 - Have one trinket only available during the initial release. All others could be grabbed later, but that one would be exclusive to the people who were there.

I'm fine with the idea of people being able to get past Easter eggs and Halloween treats since they don't do anything except look pretty.

However, I can see why some people might get annoyed at this. On lots of sites, event trophies are your way of showing off that you've been an active user for a long time. On here tho, simply having a gazillion dragons is how you show off your account age.

Previous years's stuff should only drop after you get the current set, and they should only drop during the appropriate time.

Couple diff random ideas:

1 - Add a "completed on" date for the Easter egg and Halloween treat collections. Obviously, if the year matches up, then that user was around for the event. This way, people could still prove/show off having been there, but if you miss a year or even just one trinket you could grab it next time. Would also help with figuring out when you're done hunting.

2 - Have one trinket only available during the initial release. All others could be grabbed later, but that one would be exclusive to the people who were there.

A lot of that makes sense - but I DON'T like that last one. Lots of the fun is scrabbling around on the day !

Maybe put ones gained later in a different place and not have them count towards a filled basket badge ?

As nice as it would be for users to be able to unlock previous events, I think it's become less and less feasible each year. The events have been placing increasing emphasis on time-based progress (e.g. Valentine's 2015, where the final dragon was unlocked after a given day, and points were gained with time) and interpersonal activity (e.g. Christmas 2013, where the main activity of the game involved attacking others' forts), and this would make it very hard for users to be playing such events at different times. In addition, the smaller number of people playing would lower some of the fun of them. This gets even worse when events involve both of these mechanics; Christmas 2014 would be nearly impossible to repeat, given the site as a whole contributing toward collecting mana, the different daily chapters, and the sending of presents among users.

The Festival of Eggs and Trick-or-Treat events are probably easier repeatable, and the Halloween choose-your-own-adventure stories as well, so those might be possible to repeat.

As nice as it would be for users to be able to unlock previous events, I think it's become less and less feasible each year. The events have been placing increasing emphasis on time-based progress (e.g. Valentine's 2015, where the final dragon was unlocked after a given day, and points were gained with time) and interpersonal activity (e.g. Christmas 2013, where the main activity of the game involved attacking others' forts), and this would make it very hard for users to be playing such events at different times. In addition, the smaller number of people playing would lower some of the fun of them. This gets even worse when events involve both of these mechanics; Christmas 2014 would be nearly impossible to repeat, given the site as a whole contributing toward collecting mana, the different daily chapters, and the sending of presents among users.

The Festival of Eggs and Trick-or-Treat events are probably easier repeatable, and the Halloween choose-your-own-adventure stories as well, so those might be possible to repeat.

From the forts I mostly liked the mere effect of having a fort built:P Designing it. I even forgot these were about fighting eheh xd.png

Perhaps these could be somehow altered?

Time-based could go as they were I believe, unlocking day after day. And the current event running normally for everyone.

Good point about the time thing - but maybe it would be enough just to be able to build and attack at the base level ?

Idk how about others but I play events just to get the pretty badge hehe xd.png No badge would make re-event useless to me, I guess I wouldn't bother:P

I enjoyed the fort but the rest were more like 'I want the pixels, and I like having things finished, all collected etc.'^^

I'd like the badges to be there available again. Maybe slightly altered so you can still have your strange feeling of being 'special' (really guys, I dont' get it why you care so much what OTHERS have on their scrolls xd.png)

I don't really care about the badges and, in general, would not make any effort to earn one. But... I would love to play the Mana alchemy game DC-style!

I think that the Easter egg hunts and the Trick or Treat things are the easiest to re-do. After all, all it would need is to release random "old stuff" after the new stuff has been collected. At the same kind of intervals, of course. And, obviously, only during the regular playing time. So, if we had to stay online for 6 hours to collect X amount of old treats/eggs, a newer player would have to spend just as many hours to get as many of the older treats. Same effort, same amount of sleepless nights, same result. (Unless, of course, the artists decide it's wrong to let more people on this site share in the joy of collecting pretty pixels.)

I also think that the story type of events should be available to play and/or read through again, even if it is without the benefit of having to send mana to open the next chapter. The snow fort could work as a mere decorating event, but without the snowball fights involved - or only allow players to do snowball fights with those who have edited their snow forts in the last week, meaning the then-current holiday season.

Regarding badges, I couldn't care less. Yes, I have them all. No, I don't mind if newer people get them, too. It doesn't diminish the exitement and sense of accomplishment I felt when I got them - or worked toward getting them. But since some people feel differently about it, maybe we could find a compromise, like adding the year the badge was earned to the badge - unless it was earned when it was first released. Or maybe the newer badges could be semi-transparent.

Personally I'd love to be able to grab older easter eggs and treats. I don't really care if my baskets on my scroll get filled or not, I'd just like to have a chance to complete my groups even if I'm the only one who knows... as a person who likes to collect all the collectibles when I play video games, my Easter basket and Halloween bag always kind of bother me a little bit when I look at my collections. It would be nice to get a chance to fix that.

As for the other badges... I guess I don't really have an opinion? I have most of them, I'm pretty sure, and if I'm missing one I'm not too fussed by it. Which goes counter my attitude about the treats and eggs, but in that case I can *see* I'm missing some. If I'm missing a badge I don't know about it.

Edited by silver_chan

I am completely heartbroken that I did not manage to get the kitty cat egg from this year's FotE because my life intervened.

So I would be all for being able to get the trick or treat candy. Everyone knows trick or treat candy lasts for months after Halloween, especially the kinds no one really wants to eat.

I think that the Easter egg hunts and the Trick or Treat things are the easiest to re-do. After all, all it would need is to release random "old stuff" after the new stuff has been collected. At the same kind of intervals, of course. And, obviously, only during the regular playing time. So, if we had to stay online for 6 hours to collect X amount of old treats/eggs, a newer player would have to spend just as many hours to get as many of the older treats. Same effort, same amount of sleepless nights, same result. (Unless, of course, the artists decide it's wrong to let more people on this site share in the joy of collecting pretty pixels.)

I also think that the story type of events should be available to play and/or read through again, even if it is without the benefit of having to send mana to open the next chapter. The snow fort could work as a mere decorating event, but without the snowball fights involved - or only allow players to do snowball fights with those who have edited their snow forts in the last week, meaning the then-current holiday season.

Regarding badges, I couldn't care less. Yes, I have them all. No, I don't mind if newer people get them, too. It doesn't diminish the exitement and sense of accomplishment I felt when I got them - or worked toward getting them. But since some people feel differently about it, maybe we could find a compromise, like adding the year the badge was earned to the badge - unless it was earned when it was first released. Or maybe the newer badges could be semi-transparent.

I'd love a chance to gain more badges and play the games and I wouldn't care if they had to have an extra year added to it to make it different. As long as I got a chance to do the snow fort decoration [not really big on the fighting bit], the cooking thing, Halloween games, treats and easter eggs, and flower vases, and ESPECIALLY the mana game!!! Hell you could make it more of a solo game easily for the mana game, and make certain amount of mana a day [or per round if you want it available for more than just the season too] to unlock the next part, and then read and continue from there. :3 No outside cooperation needed!

Speaking as someone who loves to be a solo player and really avoids any game that requires you to deal with other online players at the same time, I'm a big fan of turning what used to be communal games into solo games that you can finish at your own pace for the re-releases and that's still different and can be done! ;3

I reaaaaaaally wanna play the mana game. ;;-;; The story adventure doesn't have to even be there, I just wanna do the game sorting and get more mana and create more mana and fill up the damn pretty as all hell bar with my persistence and efforts (of course the bar level would have to be adjusted just for the solitary player and not a group effort). The mana game I am truly grieved over missing. ;;-;; Truly... *sob sob sob*

Also I want to get a chance to collect all the old easter eggs and treats too man, all the ones I've missed!!! >.< And hell if you could have the full plethora of that, underneath your badge, that doesn't just show "you were there" but rather shows even more that you put the damn dedication in there to get it with all your blood and sweat and tears! That would something to be indeed proud of. :3

Edited by Sapphira_Majoram

Great idea, you can view like the olden days of whatever year and finally repeat it again to see the second trying of it! FULL Support!

I don't recall my original opinion and don't feel like looking for it right now.

As the years pass, this idea seems less and less reasonable. It's a lot of treats to collect and to re-release, when missing them is really no big deal.

I think having the easy things like the mana game around somewhere is reasonable, I think that looking through people's past forts and gingerbread houses and trees is fun, but I don't think it's necessary to open up or re-event all the past events. As time passes, it just becomes more and more to do, when it's not the focus of DC anyway.

Again, badges don't really concern me much, it is the events that I missed out on that I care about. I thought of something that might allow those who missed out on previous events yet also make them different for those who have played them before, yet also feel nostalgia for the event.

IRL there are annual events where a contest, competition, activity, etc is done during a period every year. How about a repeat of the event, but with slightly different things?

Tree Decorating could be redone but with different ornaments that the 2010 ones. Those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2010 one, it will be a badge designed different.

The Haunted House event could be another text based quest where you pick up various items - this will be a completely different house with completely different items from 2011. What the items do would just have to be a surprise - no releasing a dragon spirit again. Those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2011 one, it will be a badge designed different.

The Wreath Decorating event again could work out like the Tree Decorating event - different items than the ones in 2011. Those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2011 one, it will be a badge designed different. I'm not sure if you'd want to do a new Holdiay Tales to go with it...

Send a Valentine... Use a different sort of box/bag/holder to keep the Valentine Cards in. Have them use the same function as the 2012 one, but have different sayings than the ones from that year. Again, those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2012 one, it will be a badge designed different.

Haunting in Aliset could be redone in a way, but with a different town, different items to collect and different mystery to be solved. Nevertheless, it will have the same feel and somewhat similar set up as the first one. Same thing with the badge. It won't be the one used in 2012.

Holiday Cooking could have different ingredients and recipes from the ones in 2012 and the badge for those who participate will not be a type of pie, but some other cooked item.

Gingerbread House Decorating again using newly designed items that are not the ones from 2012. Again, those who participate get a badge, but it would be the gingerbread house badge from 2012.

Send a Flower... Again, new sprites, no usage of the ones from 2013. The flowers, vase and backdrop foliage will not be the same as the ones from 2013. It will work the same way as the first one, but different items.

Halloween Carnival... the Carnival could stop in town again but have a new "updated" look. The Entrance will look different, the House of Magnificent Marvels will have new attractions (so the ones from their last visit in town will be automatically skipped, so those who missed the first wonders will still not see them), the Story Booth will have some new tales to tell, the Fortune Teller could still be there and give out different fortunes from the ones in 2013 with cards of a new design, the Set game could be changed into a different sort of card game, the corn maze could be completely redone into a different design. The Graveyard... whatever the Event Staff decides will be a surprise.

Snow Wars will have the same concept as the first one, but again, spriters will make different resources than the ones from 2013. Snow and ice forts, walls, statues, allegiance flags, towers, etc will be sprited differently. It will be the same game, but revamped in appearance and maybe some new surprises for those who played it the first time.

Valentine's Gardening could be handled the same way as Send a Flower... a new and different flowerbed, new kinds of seeds, no repeat of the flowers from 2014 - different variety and thus different sprites used, new pot designs.

Snow Warning could again have new designs but same basic principle of game. New buttons would be made for it, Mana Bars will be redesigned, Mana shards will have a new look, and the Mana game could be different or simply have newly designed tiles.

Dragon Matchmaking could involve a different dragon and you will bring him items that are not the same as the items from February 2015. The Cave Biome Backgrounds could be redone to look different from the ones of 2015. The items you bring your dragon will not be the ones used in 2015 either.

Brewing Mischief could have new art, new ingredients and completely new potions to discover. The ones from 2015 will not be available again. Nevertheless, players who experienced the event in 2015 can experience again, but will have to start from scratch again to figure out what items make what potions and what said potions do.

Again, these would be essentially "new" events because they won't be exact repeats of the previous ones. Thus players will only get badges for said year these events return.

As for missed out Easter Eggs and Tricks and Treats from Halloween... Well... I have no idea. I thought of people being able to gift an egg, trick or treat from a year someone missed out on. Like when Easter or Halloween comes up a player can make a request to be gifted an item they were unable to get... They can only ask once a year. Some may get their requested item. Some may not. It just depends on luck.

Edited by Nyxity