lttlelola

Re-Event

The holiday events last for several days, sometimes over a week. Halloween and Valentine dragons are a one day release, Christmas dragons is a 3 day release.

Also, TJ is not one to 're-release' anything. If you happen to be around for that year's holidays then they have a right to brag about it. Newer members just have to miss out.

^ This

Do I want those Trick or Treat baskets? Yes.

Do I want to decorate a Christmas tree? Yes.

Do I want a Beat The Heat badge? Yes.

Do I want to have the first set of easter eggs? Yes.

Will I get them? No.

To put it more simply, I want them but I can't get them and I'll just have to deal with it. You will, too.

Another thing to consider. Some of the artists from previous events are no longer part of the site. Its not fair to re-release something when the artist is no longer around.

The only re-release (tho technically it isn't) is being allowed to ask for a Frilled as a prize and that is due to Lyth giving permission for such. Old Pinks cannot be claimed as Dove didn't give permission (she left before the first event)

^ This

Do I want those Trick or Treat baskets? Yes.

Do I want to decorate a Christmas tree? Yes.

Do I want a Beat The Heat badge? Yes.

Do I want to have the first set of easter eggs? Yes.

Will I get them? No.

To put it more simply, I want them but I can't get them and I'll just have to deal with it. You will, too.

What she said - but as it relates to old pinks and CB Hollies and Pumpkins....

I wasn't here when they were out there to grab. I can never get them. (well, if I EVER won a competition - but I haven't a prayer.) That's LIFE. I can never be 30 years old again either.

What's the point of even having events if they're available whenever to whomever? The very definition of the word "event" implies something of a limited duration and availability.

Events can happen annually, bi-monthly or in whatever time of repeat. You mix up event and limitation.

I like my eggs because I like them, and I'd like them as much if every other player could still get them later. They are pretty, it was fun collecting them. It appears that others don't really enjoy the fact that they have their easter eggs, but just the fact that others can't get them. Why else would it "devalue" the eggs if others could get them later?

To draw pleasure from this seems to be a bit petty to me. It is not a mindset I endorse. Just my opinion, and I seem to be in the minority.

Events can happen annually, bi-monthly or in whatever time of repeat. You mix up event and limitation.

I like my eggs because I like them, and I'd like them as much if every other player could still get them later. They are pretty, it was fun collecting them. It appears that others don't really enjoy the fact that they have their easter eggs, but just the fact that others can't get them. Why else would it "devalue" the eggs if others could get them later?

To draw pleasure from this seems to be a bit petty to me. It is not a mindset I endorse. Just my opinion, and I seem to be in the minority.

THIS. Not to be inflammatory, but why is it that every time something is suggested to allow others to get stuff a different way, be it badges or CB rares, there is such opposition?

Yes yes yes, THIS.

Everyone's like 'uwaaa rereleasing an event ruins the specialness of it' but there isn't even ANYTHING PARTICULARLY SPECIAL ABOUT IT. Oh wowww you have more badges on your scroll than someone else, showing you managed to log on one day when someone else didn't, how remarkable! Except no, it's not.

I have all of the badges. I didn't miss anything. But I'm not proud or pleased or feeling special because I got them, I'm just relieved that I DID get them because as this thread is clearly showing everyone seems to be adverse to letting later players get their hands on shiny useless trinkets. For my part, I'd enjoy things like the easter egg hunt or trick or treat thing more if I knew they would always be around. As-is, I'm desperately racing, making sure I don't miss any before time runs out, instead of taking time to really admire and squeal over them. That's kinda sad.

If you really need to, they can have greyscale badges or something to show they did the event later on. Personally, I still think a lag effect would be sufficient.

But the main point is you gotta shareee, you gotta careee~

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I can live with it happening, if it ever does; I just meant - sometimes we have to bite the bullet !

I'm more of the, what a shame to spend months making neat things and only use them once, camp. But, I am someone that will wear my own clothes to rags and only has 4 pairs of shoes. And well, holidays. Christmas = more blessed to give than receive. Thanksgiving = sharing of bounty. Valentines = sharing love. Halloween = as much candy as you can carry. None of them are stingy and most of the time we repeat the same tradition every year. Same tree, same food, same decorations, same dates. It just seems like it would be more in line with the holiday to repeat them.

What I think would be awesome though, is if we users could interact with people with the little badges. Much like tinsel owners can trade away their eggs, it would be neat if we users could gift around older decorations to new people on the holiday. You might only be able to get one ornament from one person. But it would be a fun way to re-event things :3

Granted, I'd also really, really love to be able to redo my wreath.

My biggest complaint about past holiday events is that we can't go and re-edit our Christmas trees or our wreaths. I didn't make my wreath as pretty as I wanted to because it was hinted that since it wasn't a contest we'd be able to edit them after the event was over, and I wanted to do other things during the holiday and do my wreath later.

Clearly that didn't happen. Oh well, I'm stuck with the boring one I've got, even though I have most of the decorations. (All but the first day - I didn't know on the last day that I could go back and get it.)

I do have most of the events (all but "Beat the Heat"), so it doesn't matter to me much one way or the other, but I will say that of all the ideas presented thus far I do like the "lag" idea. That said, I'd think that people should have a choice whether they want the old ones or the new ones, whether they want ones where they already know what everything looks like, or are more interested in the excitement of discovering the new ones as they appear.

I can live with it happening, if it ever does; I just meant - sometimes we have to bite the bullet !

We have to bite the bullet often enough in our day-to-day lives, we don't need to intentionally inflict it upon ourselves in our games.

Plus, there already IS some 'bullet-biting' in DC. Some people will never get Frills or Old Pinks. You can for the most part kiss CB holidays you missed out on goodbye. If you're stuck with a Snow Angel color you don't like, or didn't get an Alt Sweetling, that's too bad.

Considering we already have limited event releases on the things that really matter (the dragons!), I think it'd be nice if we could be a bit more forgiving with the goofy side stuff that doesn't matter, you know?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

If there isn't anything special about it then why the big disappointment that you didn't get it?

If the game was meant to be geared towards being fair to everyone, why do we even have rare eggs? Why don't golds drop as often as whiptails?

And Fuzz, I'm really disappointed that I can't go back and be thirty again either! Even more disappointed that I can't go back and buy into some IPOs that I didn't have the money for at the time. I really missed out on that, I coulda been rich! xd.png

Maybe I'm being dense here, but I can't see what the point would be of re-releasing the badges since the events aren't going to be redone? I mean, you could get the pumpkin basket badge from 2010, for example, but since there's a new event each year, you won't be able to collect the candies to go in it.

I don't have a problem either way, but are you asking for events to be repeated instead of having new ones each year? I think that would be less exciting. Or for the chance to get a tree badge or wreath badge but not be able to decorate it?

I think I'm having trouble understanding what exactly is being asked for.

Considering we already have limited event releases on the things that really matter (the dragons!), I think it'd be nice if we could be a bit more forgiving with the goofy side stuff that doesn't matter, you know?

Clearly the 'goofy side stuff' does matter, or we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. I'm very proud of the fact that I was around for each of the special occasions.

I look at the badges at the tops of people's scrolls and they help give me some idea of when the person joined or I can see when they were busy and may have missed out on something.

I dislike the idea of a re-event as I feel it would diminish the specialness of having been there for the event itself. I know online you can buy programmes and souvenirs for just about everything these days, but buying the program after the fact or having it given to you when you didn't attend is nowhere near the same as having participated or attended.

I thought I'd point out, while it may be hard to get rare eggs etc, there is no rare ornament. There is no common ornament. You can get common dragons. There's no in between for trees and wreathes etc.

My mother is One of Those People. She has 7 trees. One is gold and crystal and one is all wedgewood and lenox. She has several Swarvoski Crystal too. They are all limited edition. But, she can go on ebay and get years she missed. And even if she couldn't, she still has mixed in with all that, hand made stuff and plain old glass balls from Target. She actually has 9 tree options so she picks and chooses from them each year.

Allowing new people to participate in tree decorating wouldn't make me feel less special. Maybe because my tradition involves a whollleee lot of time putting those trees up. Much more so than simply having them heh. They are anything but static objects that can't be moved.

Maybe I'm being dense here, but I can't see what the point would be of re-releasing the badges since the events aren't going to be redone? I mean, you could get the pumpkin basket badge from 2010, for example, but since there's a new event each year, you won't be able to collect the candies to go in it.

I don't have a problem either way, but are you asking for events to be repeated instead of having new ones each year? I think that would be less exciting. Or for the chance to get a tree badge or wreath badge but not be able to decorate it?

I think I'm having trouble understanding what exactly is being asked for.

Well, what we're aiming for is that the events themselves would be redone--in a sense.

You know how there were different ornaments for this year's Easter Egg hunt as opposed to last years? What I'm shooting for is that the first time a person participated in the Easter Egg hunt, they'd be able to collect the first set, and then next year the next set, etc etc...

Honestly, I have no problem with people being able to repeat old events to get things they missed. Its extremely hard for us to get everythig because not only do i have my scroll to worry about, the kids have to have help getting their stuff too.

So my suggestion for this is: in the case of easter eggs.. lets say this years event was your first time... so just have the previous years show up /under/ the ones you caught this year. Tj probably has them set to show up in a set order, but somehow i dont think it would be that hard to code the site to say "look they want to hunt the 09 eggs, just throw them under this years eggs". Just limit repeating the event to the window you could easter hunt anyhow (after your done with your current year, have the option to do last years until event ends). Perhaps with a shorter timer though since its a lot of eggs to make up in a short time.

As for permissions: i dont care if event sprites are used again. No, you can not have the holiday dragons you missed, but sure have the easter eggs. They dont hurt anyone. I dont recall people asking for my permission to post my easter eggs in the wiki. I havent even thrown a fit about the fact that my animated egg (chicken egg) wasnt animated on the wiki. Nor was my sons permission asked to post his egg. They are event sprites... whether you have them or not does not impact the incave aspect of this game. Limited badges, no, you cant has those, but if you want to collect the eggs and do the halloween event I have absolutely no problem with that.

When we run an event, we put time and effort into creating them each year. The one who vollenteers to host the event (I hosted the 2011 Easter Event) its even more effort involved to make sure submissions get made in time for the holiday as we do have a due date. We try to make each event unique (With Easter its a new sepration banner and new eggs) so that it doesn't become boring. Re-releasing stuff, in my honest opinion, is cheap and boring and lazy.

As I stated before, and as had several others, it is not our responsibality to cater to those who missed out on the event(s). These events are planned ahead, and announced ahead of time as well, to give people a chance to try and be here for said event (and those who cannot usually can find a friend to catch the event dragon and/or do the event itself if there is one that holiday). Its called planning ahead.

I thought just before today that I will miss out on next year's Valentines due to the little one and was already planning on having a friend do the event for me so I don't miss out. Earlier today I learned that I am actually further along than orginally thought and am due in Jan instead of Feb so I won't miss the event after all.

Is it that hard to try making plans to cover the event if you know your not going to be able to log on yourself to do it?

Edited by Dolphinsong

Considering that technically you arent allowed to have other people on your scroll? Yes. You have just yours to worry about, I have mine and then have to help the kids.. so.

I didnt say anything about giving the badges for the events.. but i see no reason not to allow people the ability to collect the items, during the normal event timeslot. This means: they would have to finish this years event, and then use what time is left to collect the old eggs. They arent getting the badge from doing last years eggs, they get the badge for doing this years event. If they want to do the halloween hunt, why not. They can have the event to do and not get the badge, but can only do it during the halloween event window. I think that is plenty of restriction. The newest players will not be able to collect the three years worth of eggs they missed AND get all of this years eggs too.

Having the eggs show up out of order is enough to show they people werent here for the original event. Being able to do the event and not get a badge will probably be a good compromise for those who want the collectables but werent here.

Im all about trying to offer solutions for things that have a definite yes and no stance. I dont care if people who come after me have the ability to get the event items. Im sure the users who want the items will be happy to have the chance, without the badge. Compromise can be a beautiful thing.

Let me just edit to add: I totally understand why people should not be allowed to hunt for the things they missed. The people that were here got to experience a special thing, and its their.. trophy i supose for being here. However, topics like this come up frequently, and every time they do, i cant help but think "whats the harm?". Its not like we have to replan the event.. its not like the images and stuff arent stored somewhere and the code was erased. Its not affecting my scroll.

Now if tj wants to flat out say no, never, its not gonna happen.. im cool with that. Its his site, his decision. But, i like the idea of giving the new players a touch of dc history. The challenge of getting all those eggs, all those treats in one event timeframe sounds like an awesome challenge to me.

Edited by Thuban

One question is what would happen for people who are just missing a few easter eggs? Would they have to skip the current one just to pick up 5 eggs? Seems to me that in cases where they have some or most of the previous event it could be mixed in with the current one. So the 5 easter eggs the person missed in the last one would be mixed in with the easter eggs that are being released.

I don't really care if it does or does not happen. Do I have the Halloween candy? No. Do I have the earlier eggs? No. Do I care if I have them? Not really.

If it WERE allowed, please, please, PLEASE don't use that 'lag' idea. I don't want to be years behind other users in events like the Easter Egg hunts just because I didn't know about the dragon cave holiday events until a little before last Halloween!! That would be terrible!

Some people might be fine with that idea, but it would just drive me up the wall. Basically like it was saying "See these pretty new eggs here? You're not going to get them for X amount of years! Have fun with the old eggs!"

I mean, it's not like I'll never get to see the eggs. I can see them on other people's scrolls. So it doesn't bother me at all that I'll never own the eggs and candy I missed out on. I don't even care about the badges I missed out on. I realize that sometimes you just miss out on things. Maybe its just because I've missed out on a heck of a lot in my life, having grown up being in a poor family in a school system full of well off families.

It'd be cool if I could hunt for what I missed, sure, but I don't want to be thrown 'back in time' in a sense just so I can endlessly chase the events that I can never catch up on.

...Did that make sense? I'm terrible at expressing what's going on inside my head.

One question is what would happen for people who are just missing a few easter eggs? Would they have to skip the current one just to pick up 5 eggs? Seems to me that in cases where they have some or most of the previous event it could be mixed in with the current one. So the 5 easter eggs the person missed in the last one would be mixed in with the easter eggs that are being released.

No, I was thinking more along the lines of:

(assuming theres a 2013 hunt) collect all eggs. go to basket and there could be a note that says "You seem to have missed some 2012 eggs, click here to hunt" which would open up the 2012 easter egg hunting instance.

when you get all those, if theres still time, have the message pop up with 2011, 2010, 2009. There is no way that anyone is going to get EVERYTHING that was released during one event window, but just having the chance might be enough. The reasoning for doing it in reverse is simple: way less likely to get the 2009 eggs if you missed three years of events, therefore you have to wait until the following easter (2014) to try again.

Priority for hunting needs to go towards /current/ event. Once current event stuff is done, why not have the remaining time to hunt older stuff. Its more ads being loaded for TJ (because some of us are crazy and do load ads.)

Whats the point in designing a new round of holiday events each year if we're just going to allow those who missed out (again not our responsibality) previous ones a chance to do those events?

Events may be done each year, but its different each year. We warn WEEK(S) in advance of the event, we give SEVERAL days to DO the event. Not our fault you cannot do said event(s) its like that in the real world too. Events are UNIQUE every year even in the real world, they don't repeat the events exactlly every year nor allow those who missed previous years to 'attend' said events cause said events is long over and won't happen like that again.

Just because we're a site doesn't mean we should re-release events for those who missed. Very few sites do that.

Edited by Dolphinsong

If there isn't anything special about it then why the big disappointment that you didn't get it?

If the game was meant to be geared towards being fair to everyone, why do we even have rare eggs? Why don't golds drop as often as whiptails?

And Fuzz, I'm really disappointed that I can't go back and be thirty again either! Even more disappointed that I can't go back and buy into some IPOs that I didn't have the money for at the time. I really missed out on that, I coulda been rich! xd.png

This is my biggest question. If they're not special, they why the heck would you even care if you missed out? If they're not special, why do you want to give them to everybody so badly?

DC is designed so that a lot of it can be obtained by anybody--but it is not designed to give everything to anybody who wants it. You want that CB gold? You better have a lot of luck or work to get some nice trade fodder and find somebody who will trade with you, you plan to be on the cave and hunt around and try to find one. You don't get a handy little message going "Hey, you don't seem to have any CB golds. Would you like a free one/a guaranteed one for completing a specific task"? (I'm dead set against the "complete tasks to earn X dragons, too, because i feel like it really cheapens it. I put in the time, effort, and managed to get lucky and it was amazing when I caught my second CB silver back in March--just over 4 years after I got my first one. If I could have been guaranteed it for completing some task, it would have just been a meh moment, there would be nothing special about it because anybody else could do the same thing for it--when I caught it, I was that one person out of all the others who saw it, I was the one who managed to get it first, I won that race.)

To me, it kinda feels like saying, "Hey, we know you didn't win a gold medal at the last Olympics. Would you like to re-try to beat the winners last time? If you do, we'll give you a gold medal, too!"

It just... Suddenly this thing I specifically put aside time for, that I worked for... Suddenly it's not special anymore because anybody can get it even if they just found the site the day before.

As much as I love getting everything, I accept that if I'm not around for it, I won't get it. I don't go and say "Hey, look, I really want this thing I wasn't even a member of your site for. Can you re-release it for me?"

If that's just how the site is designed, that's one thing. But unless DC introduces some new features that would take considerably more work to obtain the previous stuff than it originally took, then I wouldn't quite mind as much--they put in more effort than we did, and were rewarded for that extra effort so I think that kinda balances it out. But to just be able to get it, with not that much extra effort... Makes it seem kinda cheap.

But... people do try for Olympic golds across multiple years. Phelps has 19 medals now? The main limitation is their own physical ability to compete. It's not that the event isn't there anymore.

Kagesora: having it only be able to happen during events, after current years event has been finished, within the remaining time frame of the event, with the missing years in reverse order isnt difficult enough? I really dont believe anyone could get multiple years worth of easter egg hunting done in the time window. Its only a few days long, and it looks like we average roughly 43 eggs for the easter event. one egg every 10 minutess or however long it is between eggs.. it doesnt leave enough time for people to get /everything/. The 12 days of christmas thing for example... if there was an event like that going on.. you wouldnt get the chance to do old event stuff until the last day. It doesnt leave much time, therefore, will be a much harder challenge than we dealt with.