lttlelola

Re-Event

Again, badges don't really concern me much, it is the events that I missed out on that I care about. I thought of something that might allow those who missed out on previous events yet also make them different for those who have played them before, yet also feel nostalgia for the event.

IRL there are annual events where a contest, competition, activity, etc is done during a period every year. How about a repeat of the event, but with slightly different things?

Tree Decorating could be redone but with different ornaments that the 2010 ones. Those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2010 one, it will be a badge designed different.

The Haunted House event could be another text based quest where you pick up various items - this will be a completely different house with completely different items from 2011. What the items do would just have to be a surprise - no releasing a dragon spirit again. Those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2011 one, it will be a badge designed different.

The Wreath Decorating event again could work out like the Tree Decorating event - different items than the ones in 2011. Those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2011 one, it will be a badge designed different. I'm not sure if you'd want to do a new Holdiay Tales to go with it...

Send a Valentine... Use a different sort of box/bag/holder to keep the Valentine Cards in. Have them use the same function as the 2012 one, but have different sayings than the ones from that year. Again, those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2012 one, it will be a badge designed different.

Haunting in Aliset could be redone in a way, but with a different town, different items to collect and different mystery to be solved. Nevertheless, it will have the same feel and somewhat similar set up as the first one. Same thing with the badge. It won't be the one used in 2012.

Holiday Cooking could have different ingredients and recipes from the ones in 2012 and the badge for those who participate will not be a type of pie, but some other cooked item.

Gingerbread House Decorating again using newly designed items that are not the ones from 2012. Again, those who participate get a badge, but it would be the gingerbread house badge from 2012.

Send a Flower... Again, new sprites, no usage of the ones from 2013. The flowers, vase and backdrop foliage will not be the same as the ones from 2013. It will work the same way as the first one, but different items.

Halloween Carnival... the Carnival could stop in town again but have a new "updated" look. The Entrance will look different, the House of Magnificent Marvels will have new attractions (so the ones from their last visit in town will be automatically skipped, so those who missed the first wonders will still not see them), the Story Booth will have some new tales to tell, the Fortune Teller could still be there and give out different fortunes from the ones in 2013 with cards of a new design, the Set game could be changed into a different sort of card game, the corn maze could be completely redone into a different design. The Graveyard... whatever the Event Staff decides will be a surprise.

Snow Wars will have the same concept as the first one, but again, spriters will make different resources than the ones from 2013. Snow and ice forts, walls, statues, allegiance flags, towers, etc will be sprited differently. It will be the same game, but revamped in appearance and maybe some new surprises for those who played it the first time.

Valentine's Gardening could be handled the same way as Send a Flower... a new and different flowerbed, new kinds of seeds, no repeat of the flowers from 2014 - different variety and thus different sprites used, new pot designs.

Snow Warning could again have new designs but same basic principle of game. New buttons would be made for it, Mana Bars will be redesigned, Mana shards will have a new look, and the Mana game could be different or simply have newly designed tiles.

Dragon Matchmaking could involve a different dragon and you will bring him items that are not the same as the items from February 2015. The Cave Biome Backgrounds could be redone to look different from the ones of 2015. The items you bring your dragon will not be the ones used in 2015 either.

Brewing Mischief could have new art, new ingredients and completely new potions to discover. The ones from 2015 will not be available again. Nevertheless, players who experienced the event in 2015 can experience again, but will have to start from scratch again to figure out what items make what potions and what said potions do.

Again, these would be essentially "new" events because they won't be exact repeats of the previous ones. Thus players will only get badges for said year these events return.

As for missed out Easter Eggs and Tricks and Treats from Halloween... Well... I have no idea. I thought of people being able to gift an egg, trick or treat from a year someone missed out on. Like when Easter or Halloween comes up a player can make a request to be gifted an item they were unable to get... They can only ask once a year. Some may get their requested item. Some may not. It just depends on luck.

Do you realize how much work that puts on artists for the sake of revisiting old content?

Do you realize how much work that puts on artists for the sake of revisiting old content?

Absolutely. We are VERY lucky to have these brilliant spriters, but this would be the fastest way to make them give up that I can think of. And before someone suggests it, no it would NOT be OK for random members to offer to update stuff.

We have wonderful events every year. So you miss one ? Too bad. So you are new and missed one - also too bad. I would love to go to the Great Exhibition of 1851, myself. NOT going to happen. xd.png

I don't recall my original opinion and don't feel like looking for it right now.

As the years pass, this idea seems less and less reasonable. It's a lot of treats to collect and to re-release, when missing them is really no big deal.

I think having the easy things like the mana game around somewhere is reasonable, I think that looking through people's past forts and gingerbread houses and trees is fun, but I don't think it's necessary to open up or re-event all the past events. As time passes, it just becomes more and more to do, when it's not the focus of DC anyway.

Exactly this -- especially the part I have bolded.

Right after the first Christmas event I wished I could go back and play with my wreath. Same after the gingerbread house. But now? Not really.

And as for new players getting to go back and get what they missed? I really don't see why that should be a thing. As Fuzz says:

We have wonderful events every year. So you miss one ? Too bad. So you are new and missed one - also too bad. I would love to go to the Great Exhibition of 1851, myself. NOT going to happen.

Let's look forward, not back!

Again, badges don't really concern me much, it is the events that I missed out on that I care about. I thought of something that might allow those who missed out on previous events yet also make them different for those who have played them before, yet also feel nostalgia for the event.

IRL there are annual events where a contest, competition, activity, etc is done during a period every year. How about a repeat of the event, but with slightly different things?

Tree Decorating could be redone but with different ornaments that the 2010 ones. Those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2010 one, it will be a badge designed different.

The Haunted House event could be another text based quest where you pick up various items - this will be a completely different house with completely different items from 2011. What the items do would just have to be a surprise - no releasing a dragon spirit again. Those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2011 one, it will be a badge designed different.

The Wreath Decorating event again could work out like the Tree Decorating event - different items than the ones in 2011. Those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2011 one, it will be a badge designed different. I'm not sure if you'd want to do a new Holdiay Tales to go with it...

Send a Valentine... Use a different sort of box/bag/holder to keep the Valentine Cards in. Have them use the same function as the 2012 one, but have different sayings than the ones from that year. Again, those who participate will get a badge, but it will not be the 2012 one, it will be a badge designed different.

Haunting in Aliset could be redone in a way, but with a different town, different items to collect and different mystery to be solved. Nevertheless, it will have the same feel and somewhat similar set up as the first one. Same thing with the badge. It won't be the one used in 2012.

Holiday Cooking could have different ingredients and recipes from the ones in 2012 and the badge for those who participate will not be a type of pie, but some other cooked item.

Gingerbread House Decorating again using newly designed items that are not the ones from 2012. Again, those who participate get a badge, but it would be the gingerbread house badge from 2012.

Send a Flower... Again, new sprites, no usage of the ones from 2013. The flowers, vase and backdrop foliage will not be the same as the ones from 2013. It will work the same way as the first one, but different items.

Halloween Carnival... the Carnival could stop in town again but have a new "updated" look. The Entrance will look different, the House of Magnificent Marvels will have new attractions (so the ones from their last visit in town will be automatically skipped, so those who missed the first wonders will still not see them), the Story Booth will have some new tales to tell, the Fortune Teller could still be there and give out different fortunes from the ones in 2013 with cards of a new design, the Set game could be changed into a different sort of card game, the corn maze could be completely redone into a different design. The Graveyard... whatever the Event Staff decides will be a surprise.

Snow Wars will have the same concept as the first one, but again, spriters will make different resources than the ones from 2013. Snow and ice forts, walls, statues, allegiance flags, towers, etc will be sprited differently. It will be the same game, but revamped in appearance and maybe some new surprises for those who played it the first time.

Valentine's Gardening could be handled the same way as Send a Flower... a new and different flowerbed, new kinds of seeds, no repeat of the flowers from 2014 - different variety and thus different sprites used, new pot designs.

Snow Warning could again have new designs but same basic principle of game. New buttons would be made for it, Mana Bars will be redesigned, Mana shards will have a new look, and the Mana game could be different or simply have newly designed tiles.

Dragon Matchmaking could involve a different dragon and you will bring him items that are not the same as the items from February 2015. The Cave Biome Backgrounds could be redone to look different from the ones of 2015. The items you bring your dragon will not be the ones used in 2015 either.

Brewing Mischief could have new art, new ingredients and completely new potions to discover. The ones from 2015 will not be available again. Nevertheless, players who experienced the event in 2015 can experience again, but will have to start from scratch again to figure out what items make what potions and what said potions do.

Again, these would be essentially "new" events because they won't be exact repeats of the previous ones. Thus players will only get badges for said year these events return.

As for missed out Easter Eggs and Tricks and Treats from Halloween... Well... I have no idea. I thought of people being able to gift an egg, trick or treat from a year someone missed out on. Like when Easter or Halloween comes up a player can make a request to be gifted an item they were unable to get... They can only ask once a year. Some may get their requested item. Some may not. It just depends on luck.

I agree, this sounds like a horrifying amount of work. In the unlikely case the events get reopened or able to be played again, I'd just like it to be the original event/sprites used, to save the poor artists and spriters time and sanity.

Even the current baskets we get for trick-or-treating and Easter eggs still say they're from 2010 no matter what year you start hunting. I'm fine with that, I really don't think we need a new badge every year. Also if we're collecting so many badges each year, just think how cluttered the top of your scroll would be! If these events get opened up again, they should just deliver the original badge, no new badge needed. Also that way only the people who 'need' that badge would have to spend the extra time getting it, I for one don't have the time to play 5 games, collect treats/eggs if they're available, and still participate in the newest event. That would be way too much holiday!

I'd still like to be able to collect the eggs and Halloween treats I've missed, but the suggestion I like best for that is that people who have the time can lose sleep and try to catch the ones they've missed on their own time, after the newest treats have been caught. It probably won't end up happening at all, I'm well aware, but the thought that I could maybe one day complete my Easter and Halloween treats collection is a nice one.

I agree, this sounds like a horrifying amount of work. In the unlikely case the events get reopened or able to be played again, I'd just like it to be the original event/sprites used, to save the poor artists and spriters time and sanity.

Even the current baskets we get for trick-or-treating and Easter eggs still say they're from 2010 no matter what year you start hunting. I'm fine with that, I really don't think we need a new badge every year. Also if we're collecting so many badges each year, just think how cluttered the top of your scroll would be! If these events get opened up again, they should just deliver the original badge, no new badge needed. Also that way only the people who 'need' that badge would have to spend the extra time getting it, I for one don't have the time to play 5 games, collect treats/eggs if they're available, and still participate in the newest event. That would be way too much holiday!

I'd still like to be able to collect the eggs and Halloween treats I've missed, but the suggestion I like best for that is that people who have the time can lose sleep and try to catch the ones they've missed on their own time, after the newest treats have been caught. It probably won't end up happening at all, I'm well aware, but the thought that I could maybe one day complete my Easter and Halloween treats collection is a nice one.

I agree with you! I think you have the most sense in your perspective of how this could be done. Also, for those who REALLY need a feeling of "I got the original badge nyah nyah nyaaaah" the ones that you get after the original event had passed could just have a tiny little '16 for example of the last two digits of the year on the badge and that's all, to denote who got it at what year, and the original badges are unmarked. Or even when you hold a mouse over the badge, the year you got it at floats up like you currently do with the easter basket today.

Save the poor artists some work and give the hassle and time-using-up to the people who wanna put in the effort to do that activity again on top of everything else. They would [in my eyes] MORE than "earn" their badges when they do that! I wonder if any body else, especially those rather possessive of their badges, would feel the same?

I dislike the idea of making them common but perhaps releasing a limited number of old holidays each year, with a warning on the cave itself for those who don't use forums. this way they would be in circulation still and it isn't just a bunch of old users completely controlling the lower gen hollies. I personally prefer the older holiday dragons, as the newer ones haven't been as visually appealing to me lately.

Allowing a few to enter every few years would keep the breed going and would be fair to newer players, as long as they understand they have to sacrifice a slot or two to collect something they missed out on. Perhaps re-releasing one breed every year from a certain number of years ago.

Like say dragon a is this years dragon, and B is from say 3-5 years ago. By now Dragon B is probably not seen very often and not made available to newer people at all via trading as they can't find anything of the near value. It would be reasonable to offer a few new eggs just to kickstart the breed back into the game, a sort of anti-extinction because some people even Release or kill holidays so their population can go down over the years. Why not make a mechanic to keep the breed going?

@Ace1362: Wrong thread. This one is about redoing the holiday event games. I think this is the threat you're looking for, though. smile.gif

I dislike the idea of making them common but perhaps releasing a limited number of old holidays each year, with a warning on the cave itself for those who don't use forums. this way they would be in circulation still and it isn't just a bunch of old users completely controlling the lower gen hollies. I personally prefer the older holiday dragons, as the newer ones haven't been as visually appealing to me lately.

Allowing a few to enter every few years would keep the breed going and would be fair to newer players, as long as they understand they have to sacrifice a slot or two to collect something they missed out on. Perhaps re-releasing one breed every year from a certain number of years ago.

Like say dragon a is this years dragon, and B is from say 3-5 years ago. By now Dragon B is probably not seen very often and not made available to newer people at all via trading as they can't find anything of the near value. It would be reasonable to offer a few new eggs just to kickstart the breed back into the game, a sort of anti-extinction because some people even Release or kill holidays so their population can go down over the years. Why not make a mechanic to keep the breed going?

As much as I'd like the chance to get CB Hollies... your idea to 'keep the breed going' doesn't make sense. Every year there are hundreds of older eggs flooding the AP, often with lovely lineages or even 2nd gens. The breeds are going fine; it's even becoming much more common to see the odd Holly, and even possible for slow catchers like me to snag one.

...also yes this is off topic /cough

Edited by silver_chan