Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, I'm not really reading the last 37 pages, but just want to say;

Isn't ascending mean they grow older? So why would they have Upped BSA's? It doesn't really make much sense to me. "Hey, I'm an old man. Look at me, I have a faster cooldown now!" If anything, getting older means slower BSA. (Although that would be a horrible idea, xd.png)

Isn't ascending mean they grow older? So why would they have Upped BSA's? It doesn't really make much sense to me. "Hey, I'm an old man. Look at me, I have a faster cooldown now!" If anything, getting older means slower BSA. (Although that would be a horrible idea, xd.png)

If the stage is one that is less powerful, wouldn't it be called "descending?"

Dragons, unlike people, don't really get feeble as they get old. They just get more badass. That's the idea in this thread, at least.

Most people are familier with The Hobbit, a novel that takes place before Lord of the Rings. The dragon in that story, Smaug, is mentioned to be an Ancient dragon if I recall correctly. The only reason he was taken down was due to one little gab among the gemstones embedded within his underbelly. He almost wiped out an entire kingdom of dwarves save for a few who managed to escape and dwarves are hard to kill normally, even by a young dragon.

Dragons are creatures with nearly unlimited life spans. They can survive for long periods of time, and no one has found a dragon that has died of old age.

Since dragons are said not to die of old age in DC, a dragon wouldn't necessarily get weaker as they age - weakness of age being caused by organ degeneration and fraying of DNA, which dragons apparently don't suffer. So it's entirely feasible that they grow without limit and don't suffer the same age-based weaknesses some people seem to think they should have.

I personally don't see why holiday dragons shouldn't ascend, logically, but I can see why they won't, given the limits and how TJ has expressed how they won't ascend in the past. Did he say that, or was it somebody else? Can't remember... Anyway, I think it's been set in stone that they won't.

For the aforementioned reasons by Dolphinsong, Neglecteds shouldn't ascend because they're a breed of generally helpless and sickly dragons, and zombies are just dead, so they don't age. While I'd love to see an ascended vampire, I'm not sure whether or not they classify as dead too. Hmm. Ask Kurai and Kila.

Other than those, all dragons should be able to ascend. I don't care if Mints look eensy weensy or certain types of dragons look more badass than others; they're all dragons, all fall under the same blanket categorization, and all have the ability to survive countless years and 'ascend'.

Any nondragons shouldn't ascend, period. I doubt that's even a question.

Edited by Dianacat777

Dragons like that probably wouldnt ascend as we already said. Come on ppl!

We know. We were being silly. tongue.gif

No, the general idea of ascending isn't just getting old, but reaching the peak of their power.

By "ascending" they're basically reaching the peak of their physical and magical power. That's what we mean. So logically, they would have more power or less cooldown time because they're at their strongest.

Maybe some dragons that had no BSA would get one when they ascend?

Just an idea...

Maybe ascended canopy dragons, because they spend their time in leaves, would have a BSA option, "Shake down Leaves" that would hide a sick egg (Maybe in leaves, most likely in regular fog.) even if your not on.

And maybe lengendary trio, once ascended, can summon an even more powerful dragon?

Maybe some dragons that had no BSA would get one when they ascend?

Just an idea...

Maybe ascended canopy dragons, because they spend their time in leaves, would have a BSA option, "Shake down Leaves" that would hide a sick egg (Maybe in leaves, most likely in regular fog.) even if your not on.

And maybe lengendary trio, once ascended, can summon an even more powerful dragon?

Big time no on that last one. MANY people have STILL yet to get the GoN, adding another more powerful one = EVEN harder to get. No, plain and simple.

Edited by Dolphinsong

Big time no on that last one. MANY people have STILL yet to get the GoN, adding another more powerful one = EVEN harder to get. No, plain and simple.

Agreed. The only possible way I could see that working without causing riots would be if the odds were tweaked and GoN's became much easier to summon, and the new one wasn't as hard as the GoN currently is to summon.

But, then, that would kinda ruin the whole Pokemon reference, IMO.

Actually, I would be pretty intrested in GoN being easier to get, but are we doing decreased cooldown or boost in BSA?

Its rare for a reason, changing its current settings would alter that.

Reviving this, because I really want Ascension to happen.

I'm still all in favor of keeping this as simple as possible; Ascend at either 6 or 12 months, success rate of 85%, still able to breed, and no "enhanced" BSA's.

Because remember guys, for DC, simple is golden.

I agree with you, Kila. Simple sounds good. The only thing I'm wondering about is the failure rate- why would it fail? You've already waited 6 months. Also, if nothing else changes besides the sprite, then it's very similar in nature to freezing- and freezing doesn't have a failure rate.

success rate of 85%

Are you suggesting a one-time success rate of 85% (i.e. only one attempt per dragon), or a general success rate of 85% per attempt, but you can try again on that particular dragon if it fails the first time? I'm not against the success rate being 85%, but if you only get to try it once for each dragon, then the success rate needs to be 100%.

I agree with you, Kila. Simple sounds good. The only thing I'm wondering about is the failure rate- why would it fail? You've already waited 6 months. Also, if nothing else changes besides the sprite, then it's very similar in nature to freezing- and freezing doesn't have a failure rate.

Earlier in the thread it was brought up that not every dragon would be "ready" to ascend. It's not like a rite of passage, it's the dragon reaching its full potential. Ascension is completely depended on the dragon, where freezing has the owner casting a spell to stop aging.

In Layman's terms, it's just a more realistic roleplaying element to the site. what's important is that you'd be able to try again at the end of the cool down.

Are you suggesting a one-time success rate of 85% (i.e. only one attempt per dragon), or a general success rate of 85% per attempt, but you can try again on that particular dragon if it fails the first time? I'm not against the success rate being 85%, but if you only get to try it once for each dragon, then the success rate needs to be 100%.

General success rate per try. I have certain dragons I want to ascend (like Immortal Var), and if he couldn't ever ascend, I'd be massively upset XD

Oh, ok. That makes sense. In that case, how long would you have to wait before you try again? A week? Two weeks? A month?

EDIT: Derp, first page scan fail. Personally two weeks sounds good to me.

Edited by Ketsala

Proposed cooldowns have all been posted in the first post c:

and no "enhanced" BSA's.

TT_TT

But but but they're more powerful, aren't they? Maybe shorter cooldowns? At least? Please?

TT_TT

But but but they're more powerful, aren't they? Maybe shorter cooldowns? At least? Please?

The only problem with enhancing BSA's is that suddenly you have to ascend in order to have a more powerful BSA. It'd just be "more fair", and I use that only because it's already "unfair" to those who choose not to collect BSA dragons, to those who don't want to ascend their dragons.

That probably made no sense and I apologize DX I fail at wording what I mean quite often.

I think I get it. If I do, it seems like the unfairness brought on by enhanced BSAs is a lot less than the unfairness brought on by BSAs at all. To put a figure on it, I was thinking cooldowns could be reduced by 20-30%.

Also, if someone doesn't collect a BSA dragon, it's probably because they really can't stand the sprite. If the Ascended sprite is better, it could change their mind about the breed, thereby giving them access to the BSA. Although, I guess that would still be the case without enhanced BSAs.

Yes, they are stronger, and bigger, and more preoccupied with other stuff but breeding and BSAs, so keeping things the way they are for regular adults sounds like a good compromise.

(Besides, I really don't want an incubate that takes two days off my eggs, it would make raising them too easy...)

I don't think enhanced BSAs or breeding are unfair at all. Or at least, not anymore unfair than users with over 500 dragons being allowed to take care of more growing things than newer users, or only people with all three trios being allowed to attempt to summon, or people with 40 reds being able to do more incubating than someone with 4 reds, or someone with a CB tinsel being able to trade the offspring for anything they dream of. There's a lot of situations where one player has an advantage over another player, but those aren't merely random advantages. All of those advantages are tied to something specific that the user actually did to deserve those advantages. Someone who has made the time and effort to collect 500 dragons deserves those extra egg slots. Someone who has taken the time and effort to collect 40 reds deserves more incubates than someone with fewer reds. Someone who has gone through the trouble of collecting all three trios has earned the right to try summoning. Someone who decorated a truly beautiful tree has earned the right to receive a CB tinsel and benefit from trading its offspring, etc.

The way I see it, this is no different. Someone who has stuck it out and remained an active player long enough that they can ascend their dragons has, in my eyes, earned the right to an advantage. I don't think the BSAs themselves should be stronger, but perhaps shorter cooldowns. With breeding, I think the success rate should be higher or the cooldown shorter (i.e. 5 or 6 days instead of 7).

Even if ascension comes with no advantages besides the sprite change, I will still support it, but the game already has plenty of precedence of some players having an advantage over others, but it is never random--it is always a reward for something. Giving a slight advantage to ascended dragons would not be unfair, because someone else who wanted that advantage would have to do the easiest thing of all--wait. Everyone would have the chance as long as they remained an active player long enough.

The reward of ascending a dragon has always been a larger, more impressive sprite. When the idea was first proposed, that was all it was. I'm still massively in favor of keeping it simple.

The reward of ascending a dragon has always been a larger, more impressive sprite. When the idea was first proposed, that was all it was. I'm still massively in favor of keeping it simple.

That certainly is a suitable reward, I must say.

Also, speaking of the sprites, is the art Dovealove did still on the thread, or did she pull it? Just so I know if I can keep holding out for those Ascended Waters.