Jaceevoke

Question about a trade?

Are CB Tsunamis worth anything anymore? They seem like they've become way easier to catch and I don't generally see people asking for them.

@LightConcorde: Thanks for pointing out EATW market; I'm using that for a couple of trades right now since the forums here are useless until the new Halloweens all grow up.

I often see them dropped to the AP so I think they're equal to a common now.

Hehe you're welcome. c:

The problem with trading common/uncommon cbs is that they are so easy to grab the proper ones - so why bother to trade at all?

I want a fog, I get a fog, its as easy as that.

Still it's ridiculously hard to trade them even as hatchies xd.png

Same about nice lineages - noone seems to trade for them if they're not shiny.

@LightConcorde: Thanks for pointing out EATW market; I'm using that for a couple of trades right now since the forums here are useless until the new Halloweens all grow up.

Amen to that! I've found myself with an embarrassment of riches that I can't seem to get offers on because I'm *not* asking for yet more Halloweens. Ho hum. rolleyes.gif

@Ha-Ki: Often people don't want to trade for lineages even if they are shiny. I bred 3 nice even-gen 4G Shimmers yesterday to trade for new Halloweens and initially got very little interest. Luckily, someone who really liked EGs popped up and wanted two of them and we settled on a trade.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

How rare are purple dorsals/ridgewings? I mean, honestly, what is the chance of getting them? I can't catch a single one! I keep getting tans and red dorsals from the cave...I dump them or post them in the departures thread if my magi is not on cooldown...what is another dragon of equivalent worth to a purple dorsal/ridgewing?

How rare are purple dorsals/ridgewings? I mean, honestly, what is the chance of getting them? I can't catch a single one! I keep getting tans and red dorsals from the cave...I dump them or post them in the departures thread if my magi is not on cooldown...what is another dragon of equivalent worth to a purple dorsal/ridgewing?

o.o; Those are fairly easy to get in AP.. It's the other way around LOL!

Just keep hunting, those purple dorsals are usually there for a long time, however, there is this one breeder that I've noticed when I've picked up a purple usually mass breeding their purples. Sometimes really high PBs and just some really nice stuff. :3 The next one you catch you should probably just ask 2:1 trade and shouldn't have a problem with that. I would think you'd get a fast easy trade. ^^

I've always found ridgewings to be easy to get. At least, I have no problem trading for them and the people I trade with always seem to get them so fast that I have trouble keeping scroll space for them.

You might try trading tans for purple ridgewings. The tans are rarer, so it probably would be an easy trade. I would probably take you up on it; I need to build my tan horde.

The problem with trading common/uncommon cbs is that they are so easy to grab the proper ones - so why bother to trade at all?

I want a fog, I get a fog, its as easy as that.

'Cause trading is funnn~!

It should be. I think. d:

What is a CB Brown Copper egg worth? Would asking for a CB Gold egg be asking for too much? Would adding a CB Green Opal egg and/or 4 CB Black hatchies make a difference?

Sorry for all the questions, I'd like to one day catch my own CB Gold/Silver metallics but I never seem to be fast enough. Trading's the next best thing, well if the items I have are worth one. laugh.gif

What is a CB Brown Copper egg worth? Would asking for a CB Gold egg be asking for too much? Would adding a CB Green Opal egg and/or 4 CB Black hatchies make a difference?

Sorry for all the questions, I'd like to one day catch my own CB Gold/Silver metallics but I never seem to be fast enough. Trading's the next best thing, well if the items I have are worth one. laugh.gif

Coppers are oddities. While not being uncommon at all, they should be. So many people would not trade a rare for an uncommon, even if they are (hopefully) temporarily rare. Metals seem to have become harder to hunt, so probably all that would not be enough for a CB Gold. Especially since Green Opals and Brown Coppers both seem to be returning to proper ratios. (read: they get easier to catch)

'Cause trading is funnn~!

It should be. I think. d:

Does not change the fact - if you need an uncommon, or common, and are able to grab others of similar rarity - why not grab that right away? Trading adds another task on the way to get what you really wanted... So dont go and just pick up whatever is in the Biome thats of more value than a blocker, and hope to trade for it. wait a little longer and pick what you really wanted.

Coppers are oddities. While not being uncommon at all, they should be. So many people would not trade a rare for an uncommon, even if they are (hopefully) temporarily rare. Metals seem to have become harder to hunt, so probably all that would not be enough for a CB Gold. Especially since Green Opals and Brown Coppers both seem to be returning to proper ratios. (read: they get easier to catch)

Alright, thank you for the honesty, I appreciate it. In that event, I think I'll keep the Copper (and everything else I mentioned) as I do want them for a few scroll goals. I'll keep trying my luck in the cave, at least I am seeing them more often than I used to.

I too would love for Copper's rarity to be a temporary thing, they're a lovely looking dragon. smile.gif

Whitebaron, some of us with worse connections have a hard time even hunting uncommons like those. Most of the time it depends on luck on our part. I have traded in the past for uncommons like striped dragons (when they didn't hang in the biome for a few minutes), but normally I had to offer a rare like a metallic, or a tinsel when they were not so common, to get what I wanted.

With the tinsel draught and the fact that metals breed true once a year, this makes this sort of trades hard to do.

It would be nice if more people traded easy trades, because it is indeed fun when both parties are satisfied with the trade.

The main problem I see is not that people are unwilling to do this trades, but that the people willing to do them don't even check trades any more. They became so dominated by; I have a 5 CB golds, want 2nd gen tinsel/shimmer, and the sort, we just couldn't hope to compete with that. Eventually, those of us ended not even looking, so if someone does make a trade like that (have cb striped, want CB speckled throat), it goes unnoticed for days on end.

I remember a time when I could trade a 7th gen tinsel (which was very good for the time), for 10 purples. I have not seen such trades no more.

It is sad, I think.

Imagine in a world where only the super wealthy who have 500 $ bills could buy things, and the rest of us had to rely on hunt and harvesting to eat. That's how I view trading now. It should be a fun element, but it's become a game element mostly for elite players.

It would be nice if more people traded easy trades, because it is indeed fun when both parties are satisfied with the trade.

The main problem I see is not that people are unwilling to do this trades, but that the people willing to do them don't even check trades any more. They became so dominated by; I have a 5 CB golds, want 2nd gen tinsel/shimmer, and the sort, we just couldn't hope to compete with that. Eventually, those of us ended not even looking, so if someone does make a trade like that (have cb striped, want CB speckled throat), it goes unnoticed for days on end.

I remember a time when I could trade a 7th gen tinsel (which was very good for the time), for 10 purples. I have not seen such trades no more.

It is sad, I think.

Imagine in a world where only the super wealthy who have 500 $ bills could buy things, and the rest of us had to rely on hunt and harvesting to eat. That's how I view trading now. It should be a fun element, but it's become a game element mostly for elite players.

I have to say that I don't quite find trading to be that way myself, though I definitely understand how it could appear that way. I don't have a good connection and I've never even SEEN a CB Gold in the caves (even during times when they were supposedly dropping fast and furious); I only really have one dragon of 'real' value, because a friend of mine got a prize dragon one year. And yet I've tended to have successful trades even when I'm not trading her offspring - and when I am, since I have all the Shimmers and Tinsels I could need, I typically trade for a number of uncommon hatchlings. (And, before anyone asks, her list is closed right now.)

It is true that, for the most part, the market is currently skewed toward ultra-rares - I started when CB Stripes and CB Blacks were almost rare and were considered a fair trade for each other; now, yes, the trade forums seem almost taken over with shimmer and tinsel collectors. But knowing how the ebb and flow of the market works, I expect it's just a phase. If I want a particular CB uncommon, it sometimes takes me a few attempts (read: several dragons get kicked to the AP because no one wants them), but I usually manage to hook up with someone who wants what I'm offering. I do believe very firmly in IOUs, and fortunately for me, there are enough other players who do as well that I'm able to set up most of my trades that way through PM.

I do think a lot of the people who are collectors of certain things, like even-gens, certain breeds, or other patterns tend to watch the Breeding threads and the AP more than they watch the trade threads, partly because of the current trends, partly because trades get buried so fast that there's no guarantee anyone who has similar interests will ever see it. I know some people have success with linking to their trades in their signature, though that requires a little more forum activity than some of us have time for.

What am I trying to say? I guess just that I don't see trading, even now, as something only the 'elites' can participate in. It's just that current market demands favor those who hold 5 certain breeds, while the rest of the eggs are more or less easy to catch (for those that have time to sit there and refresh, refresh, refresh, there's one, darn, missed it, refresh, refresh, refresh, FINALLY caught one).

In the end, you sometimes have to be willing to offer way more than something is 'worth' in order to get it - I've been known to trade 3 or 4 relative 'rares' that I could breed from my scroll for one CB 'rare' that may or may not have been worth the amount I offered, but both parties were happy with the trade, and that's what counts in the end. You find collectors who can give you high-value items for large numbers of commons - my first low-gen gold was for 20 common hatchlings, a deal made entirely through PM and not through the trade forum.

I apologize for being long-winded. I just know it can be frustrating when you can't get that ONE egg you want for months at a time because you don't have the stuff everyone seems to want, and I've learned how to get what I want faster by observing the trade forum but not necessarily making all my trades through it. I certainly still post there - there's got to be SOMEone who doesn't insist on a CB Copper/Gold/Silver for everything they offer laugh.gif - but I don't rely on it.

The main problem I see is not that people are unwilling to do this trades, but that the people willing to do them don't even check trades any more.

I remember there being a common trade center too. it probably died down sometime ago, when noone would use it due to not needing blocker commons. :-)

what i think needs most fixing, though, is the pure variety of trading threads here. i can post in 4-5 threads the same have: rare, want: rare posts, it tends to clutter the forum, and usually the top three posts have the same trading post in it. (typically: rare, metallic, cb trading)

If it was my place, I'd fix it so you can only post a trade in ONE thread.

As for trading xxx amount of commons for tinsels/shimmers/rares: those kind of trades only work when they are fresh. people like me abuse people like you then, to increase their hoards of what they want, . :-)

what i think needs most fixing, though, is the pure variety of trading threads here. i can post in 4-5 threads the same have: rare, want: rare posts, it tends to clutter the forum, and usually the top three posts have the same trading post in it. (typically: rare, metallic, cb trading)

If it was my place, I'd fix it so you can only post a trade in ONE thread.

I tend to agree (though I still do it rolleyes.gif). Though, I do try and use the different threads to "spread out" my trade advertisement throughout a day if I can. Posting the same trade in 3-4 threads simultaneously doesn't really help anything in my experience.

Having said that, I've often thought that unbreedable trades ought to have their own thread, so that collectors of them can easily find what they want and those of us that accidentally spazz-click on a Cheese or a Paper have somewhere to offer them where they don't get drowned in Tinsel and Shimmer trades...

I think there should be a trading thread that discludes Prizes, metallics and holidays. Then, it should be exclusive to unbreedables, uncommons and commons, which is better than attempting to filter out those kinds of posts.

An update to my own question; how rare are CB Green Opals...I just refreshed the Forest biome and saw 4 of them, two of them which I caught. So they're definitely much more common than before. Definitely not worth CB metals. ...Maybe a CB Blusang?

I think there should be a trading thread that discludes Prizes, metallics and holidays. Then, it should be exclusive to unbreedables, uncommons and commons, which is better than attempting to filter out those kinds of posts.

An update to my own question; how rare are CB Green Opals...I just refreshed the Forest biome and saw 4 of them, two of them which I caught. So they're definitely much more common than before. Definitely not worth CB metals. ...Maybe a CB Blusang?

I would very much support the trading idea, Xythus. Although perhaps not excluding 2nd gen coppers, since those don't have the rarity that CBs do. I have no interest in tinsels and very rarely in shimmers and the trade threads are so clogged with "have: shimmer want: shimmer" that I really don't bother looking through them anymore.

Maybe we should all start using this thread - now often forgotten - more

The common trading thread

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=150406

Iside pointed us to this thread a few posts ago - I actually had not noticed it before because I rarely read the trading threads for the same reasons mentioned here by others, but I will definitely visit it more often now.

And I support the idea of a thread ONLY for unbreedables - especially for dino swaps that would be so useful, I still need some frozen dinos for my scroll goals but always happen to catch blue and green ones xd.png

How many rares would be a fair trade for a 2G holly? Would a neglected be fair for one?

@Xythus: Not sure about 1 CB Green Opal: 1 CB Blusang. I mean you can try, but I feel they are getting a very huge common outbreak now. ._. To me I think it got a huge leap towards common than Blusangs did. -shrug- I see trading threads with at least 4-6 green opals on a single page. I'm feeling like Blusangs are 1:2 ratio for CB Green opals now.

As for others discussing how quick/long their trades have taken them previously.... I've never been in a trade where I offered an egg and had to wait even two days, everytime I get a reject (hardly ever a blunt no, just "really good, but not looking for it atm") or an accept right away.

However, when I'm trading off an egg I'm done with it usually in two days, the most being my PB Whites trades which will either get a trade in a couple of days or never. Unsuccessfuls are usually genderswaps/commons (blegh)/low time hatchlings caught off AP. I post my trades in whichever thread I believe I can post my trades in. I even use the common one Iside pointed out. smile.gif

Just a little outline:

Post haves, post egg sprites with link to lineage and what lineage/cb it is, post wants, add teleports, add something saying that I welcome PMs, add something saying look at sig, and add something saying I'll accept right away if I see my wants being offered.

^I really do believe adding all that stuff really helps people more interested in trading with you, especially adding a few emoticons here and there. To me it makes them feel like you're very approachable. smile.gif

How many rares would be a fair trade for a 2G holly? Would a neglected be fair for one?

I traded off a CB Gold to a CB Female Holly owner (The one you have is most likely a male which is what the original is, people have CB Female hollies due to the raffle and I believe those are rarer than the males) for 4x 2g Golds from that holly and we're now discussing for me being on their next spot for that holly next Christmas. People do pay pretty good stuff for a 2g Holly. Though if you mean just the non-holiday offspring then I don't think you can get a CB metallic? Not sure, as this is not in my expertise area. xd.png

What is a messy-lineaged alt vine hatchie worth?

I am content if I can get messy common hatchies, but they seem to be hard to get nowadays.

And I have no idea what I can get..

Just a little outline:

Post haves, post egg sprites with link to lineage and what lineage/cb it is, post wants, add teleports, add something saying that I welcome PMs, add something saying look at sig, and add something saying I'll accept right away if I see my wants being offered.

^I really do believe adding all that stuff really helps people more interested in trading with you, especially adding a few emoticons here and there. To me it makes them feel like you're very approachable. smile.gif

Those are all good suggestions. I compiled a list of mine a while ago and I still think the stuff on there holds true. Basically, a little effort and a little empathy and courtesy goes a long way to increasing chances. smile.gif

I just know it can be frustrating when you can't get that ONE egg you want for months at a time because you don't have the stuff everyone seems to want

Talk about years. Took me the good of three years to get a CB silver, and it was thanks to someone who contacted me for a trade.

Never again have I been that lucky.

And yeah, I do see the eggs, even rares. I just don't catch them. When I say I have a bad connection, I'm not talking bad USA standards. I'm talking bad, worse-internet-connections-in-Europe-and-the-most-expensive standards.

This is my routine. F5-F5-F5-Click:

2 things may happen.

1. It takes 20 seconds to get to the next page telling me I didn't catch the egg.

2. I get a white page for over a minute. It eventually goes to the page where it tells me I didn't catch the egg.

I'm serious. I'm not exagerating. I have missed terraes in the past (I hoard terraes), thanks to the horrid lag.

However, I honestly don't mind not being able to catch golds and silvers. I wouldn't say no to them if someone where to gift them to me, but looking at their frustratingly low breeding rate, they are pretty much worthless to me. I have the pretty pixels, I don't really need anything else.

I just would like if trading was less focused on the five ultra-rare breeds you mentioned. I mean, in real life, I don't go to Dolce Gavanna, but I can go to H&M and buy nice things for a fair price.

We can't do this on DC, and I'm not talking about blockers like terraes (although I have traded FOR terraes in the past). There is a middle ground between super-rares and super-commons, the uncommons. Not all of us can, or have the time to catch that uncommon. But we might be lucky and catch that other uncommon.

And then what? Nothing, then I am stuck for 5 hours with an egg I don't really want, which I had hoped to trade for something equally rare that I might want, but nobody will ever see my trade because an hour after I post it, it will be buried behind 3 pages of; "have gold, want 2nd gen shimmer", posts.

I remember once I wanted to trade a CB trio for this other CB trio (don't remember which). I managed it... after 3 or 4 days.

It is not that there is not people interested in such trades. The thing is the market is so oriented towards elite PvP, most of us have become farming carebears, because we can't compete.

And the trading section could honestly do with a rework. Forum was fine when there was not so much trading, but it would be great if I could do an exact search without having to go through 6-7 pages just in case there is that one trade...

s for trading xxx amount of commons for tinsels/shimmers/rares: those kind of trades only work when they are fresh. people like me abuse people like you then, to increase their hoards of what they want, . :-)

I frankly call it working hard to get what you want. Not all of us know how to climb trees, some of us are fishes.

To be honest, I wouldn't do a 20 hatchies for a CB silver trade, because I have no use for the silver and I'm not willing to be scroll locked for weeks for that one useless egg. But call me on a CB copper, or a CB blusang, and you've got a deal. smile.gif

^I really do believe adding all that stuff really helps people more interested in trading with you, especially adding a few emoticons here and there. To me it makes them feel like you're very approachable.

I won't say I've been posting images for a long time as only recently did I realize how I could do that (I'm techno challenged it seems), but I try to do all those things, not because I want to sell myself, but because I really hate unpolite "I BITEEEE! YAAAARGH!" trades (and won't trade with anyone who takes such a hostile approach, not that it really matters, tho).

I won't do what I don't like to be done to me.

Anyways, this reminds me of how I tried, very politely, to trade for a single halloween hatchie. I had never done it before, but I felt this year I wanted to try to get 8, instead of 7 dragons like usually. After 6 or 7 rejections, even the most understanding person feels a little down. I didn't have that many hopes, but it did make me a bit sad.

My last few trades have been a collection of 3 failures, 1 success, 3 failures, 1 success, so this kind of adds to the whole situation.

Edited by DragonNighthowler