Bitterhawk

Holly Poll Who has what?

What proportion of people own a Holly  

1,035 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No holly for me so far, but I have seen two in the AP (first time I just stared at my computer screen because I had never seen one before)

And not all of us are willing to go through the effort of making a ND just to trade for a Holly. I would think Holly owners would feel the Christmas spirit and be generous, and just either randomly gift their eggs, or dump them in the AP for a free-for-all.

I got my first Holly through the AP yesterday. I stayed up all night to get it, I was tired as hell, and I had to go to work after that. I wasn't willing to go through the effort of making a ND either, so I decided to stalk the AP instead. I did that last year too. And the year before that. Only now did I succeed, but it was fun all the way through. Never did I complain about people here not giving me a Holly, and never did I beg.

I'll FFA the offsprings of my other Holidays just like I did last year, because I want to, and I like making people happy. But I won't give my Holly's offspring for free, because I had a hard time catching one, I did it by myself, I'm proud of it, and if I can get a blood swap and make it part of my lineage projects then that's great. I'll work hard for this.

People not giving you everything you want doesn't make them uber-selfish. There are plenty of people giving Hollies out there (at least be thankful to them), and you can still get them by trading or stalking the AP. So please, no lecture.

And not all of us are willing to go through the effort of making a ND just to trade for a Holly. I would think Holly owners would feel the Christmas spirit and be generous, and just either randomly gift their eggs, or dump them in the AP for a free-for-all.

On the other hand, this is now my fourth year of effort put toward getting Hollies, and only now have I succeeded. Sorry, but I fully intend to reap what rewards I can for my work getting these dragons.

And I don't think it's selfish at all. It's an exchange of effort. Whomever I trade with gets the guarantee of a Holly without having to spend hours on the AP, and I can get particular dragons that I would otherwise have a hard time getting.

Besides, we can only gift or trade a maximum of two eggs a year. The rest get abandoned to the AP anyway. You get a four egg clutch, there's at least three that are up for grabs to anyone.

I got my first Holly through the AP yesterday. I stayed up all night to get it, I was tired as hell, and I had to go to work after that. I wasn't willing to go through the effort of making a ND either, so I decided to stalk the AP instead. I did that last year too. And the year before that. Only now did I succeed, but it was fun all the way through. Never did I complain about people here not giving me a Holly, and never did I beg.

I'll FFA the offsprings of my other Holidays just like I did last year, because I want to, and I like making people happy. But I won't give my Holly's offspring for free, because I had a hard time catching one, I did it by myself, I'm proud of it, and if I can get a blood swap and make it part of my lineage projects then that's great. I'll work hard for this.

People not giving you everything you want doesn't make them uber-selfish. There are plenty of people giving Hollies out there (at least be thankful to them), and you can still get them by trading or stalking the AP. So please, no lecture.

No one here is complaining,we are just sharing our feelings about the holly.

And I believe most of people are stalking the AP,and most of people,or an half of DC players will not get one this year. Is very easy to talk when you already have one,but you also should remember how you felt before. I already lost my hopes for this year.

Some devoted players cannot be stalking AP so much as they wished,so I believe those players are not less than the others,and that comment of yours,"Please,no lecture" is disrespectful to those who had spent so much time like you,but didn't get an holly.

And I believe most of people are stalking the AP,and most of people,or an half of DC players will not get one this year. Is very easy to talk when you already have one,but you also should remember how you felt before. I already lost my hopes for this year.

Some devoted players cannot be stalking AP so much as they wished,so I believe those players are not less than the others,and that comment of yours,"Please,no lecture" is disrespectful to those who had spent so much time like you,but didn't get an holly.

Well, what you're doing right now sounds like complaining to me. No offense meant. smile.gif I don't believe I'm the rude one here (if I am though, it is by all means unintentional, since I'm not a native English speaker). Why should I (and the other lucky ones) get lectured just because a few others are jealous?

How I felt before... I told you. Hunting was fun all the way through, even when I couldn't get one. DC is a game, it is meant to have fun. You can't always get what you want - I still haven't been able to get CB Metallics in three years. Sure, it can get frustrating when I can't even trade for one, but it doesn't matter, because I still have fun playing. wink.gif

Edited by Kurenai

They are feeling the spirit. I've seen one done as a free for all teleport link in the IRC, I know of at least two others that were given away by someone who caught them, and I know of someone else who logged onto the site purely just to breed his holly - he gifted one and the other went to the AP where someone was lucky enough to catch it.

Don't forget how few hollies there were to begin with, and now imagine five years worth of users all wanting them... It's not fair to say that you think that Holly owners aren't in the spirit when the fact is, they can only trade/gift one of their eggs, and the rest are 'automatically' gifted anyway, by going to the AP.

Mmm. Well, I was a little miffed at the insinuation that folks who don't want to just throw all their hard-earned Hollies up for grabs needed to 'get in the Christmas spirit.' That was disrespectful in its own way.

I only got mine a few hours ago, I do recall pretty clearly what it was like to hunt and hunt and never get anything. wink.gif

I'm sure no one meant any offense. Holly Hunting is probably one of the most aggravating things on the site (except maybe Valentine's '09. That was messy). But, y'know... You've gotta put work into getting rare dragons in some way. Either actively by hunting for one, or hunting for something valuable to trade, or passively by patiently waiting it out for a gifting spot. There are some folks who just happen to be in the right place at the right time to pick up a gift, but for the most part everybody worked for a Holly. What folks choose to do with the one egg per clutch that they get to hold onto for half an hour? That's entirely up to them. They earned it.

Mmm. Well, I was a little miffed at the insinuation that folks who don't want to just throw all their hard-earned Hollies up for grabs needed to 'get in the Christmas spirit.' That was disrespectful in its own way.

I only got mine a few hours ago, I do recall pretty clearly what it was like to hunt and hunt and never get anything. wink.gif

I'm sure no one meant any offense. Holly Hunting is probably one of the most aggravating things on the site (except maybe Valentine's '09. That was messy). But, y'know... You've gotta put work into getting rare dragons in some way. Either actively by hunting for one, or hunting for something valuable to trade, or passively by patiently waiting it out for a gifting spot. There are some folks who just happen to be in the right place at the right time to pick up a gift, but for the most part everybody worked for a Holly. What folks choose to do with the one egg per clutch that they get to hold onto for half an hour? That's entirely up to them. They earned it.

Yes.This. Hear hear! (I don't have a holly by the way)

I hate the 'you HAVE to gift your incredibly rare and valuable dragon because it's Christmas' vibe. It's really nice of people who do gift, but we should appreciate those who do instead of feeling bitter towards those who choose to trade their eggs.

Silly players.

Stop thinking so much about it and have fun hunting! >:o

Having a negative attitude towards the whole thing isn't helping you or the others in the thread.

Why would you resent someone for trading ONE egg from a clutch? Remember, as of this year, NO ONE can decide who gets more than that. So if a clutch is 2-3-4 eggs the others go to the AP. To criticize or demand that Holly owners give up control of that one egg also is unreasonable.

Why have you lost hope? It's only been one day since hollies have been breedable. I haven't bred mine yet, I'm sure there are plenty of others who haven't either.

~~

I also agree with others that it's silly say that holly breeders need to gift or drop the one or two holly eggs they are allowed to control out of like <= 8. Their eggs are going to other people regardless, does it matter if they receive something in exchange? I suppose everyone who trades anything is greedy for putting their scroll goals above the scroll goals of another, and everyone should always gift or abandon everything they breed. Rare dragon owners have scroll goals just like everyone else, and there's nothing wrong with two people fulfilling their scroll goals through one transaction instead of just one person fulfilling their scroll goal.

Holly breeders don't have to breed their dragons at all, so be grateful. Whether they trade or gift, they are still dictating who gets their dragons, so it doesn't matter.

Well if you own a holly its eggs, or at least the 1, are yours to gift or trade. Maybe it's good that there are a few things that are really hard to get. I dunno.

I've caught 5 and gifted 4 so far. biggrin.gif

Congrats. I still have no egg and also no chance to catch one because of my slow connection. That´s life, maybe I can trade one (hope).

Edited by silverlane

I got 2 persons who owe me Holly (from trades) before this Christmas. Only one kept her promise, the other person prefered to cheat me. However, I was able to catch another Holly from the AP, but my sister wasn't so lucky. She was trying all day without success and I decided to give her one of mine. I'm not losing hope to catch more. They are more often than the last year (this is my 3rd Christmas in the cave), and less often than the next. Don't lose hope. All you need is persistency

Edit: 2/2 eggs and another gift. My apology to the second person

@Varekis, Tanya9771, actually most persons here are very nice and keep their promises. There's always risk in such kind of trades. What was happened won't stop me to accept other IOU wink.gif

Edited by alliana1

Woah, my eyes are tired from staring at the AP for like, a solid few hours. @_@

Going to agree with the people who say that insisting that all holly owners should automatically gift their eggs is unfair. No, I don't have a holly. Yes, I want one. But saying that they should be giving away all of their beautiful eggs to "keep with the spirit of Christmas" is wrong. You get gifts, you don't ask for them. It's a bit hypocritical, non? :P

There are some kind souls who do gift their hollies anyway. It's just that demand outweighs supply (and probably will always) so not everyone gets a slice of the cake. Life's not always fair and the same goes for DC. I know I, like everyone else, would appreciate having a holly, but just because of my own inability to catch one, I'm not going to sour the mood for the lucky ones and say they're being greedy.

@alliana1: That's very nice of you to do that for your sister. :3 Sorry to hear about the person who cheated you though! It's never pleasant when that happens. :(

In spite of trying all day yesterday and since about 10.30 this morning I haven't been lucky enough to catch/trade/be gifted one yet. Unfortunately I don't have anything that anyone who's willing to trade would like, as most people already have the other Christmas dragons and Tinsels. In addition alliana1's experience is something that makes me very wary of the IOU system, and I don't visit the forum often enough (and never use Chat because I'm a slow typist) to get to know anyone who'd be willing to gift me an egg.

Edited by Tanya9771

Well, I´m still hoping...If I don´t catch this year...well, that´s the game. I love to play, so it´s ok. :-)

Havent caught one yet. Ive seen quite a few yesturday since staring at the screen will at least allow you a glimpse of what might have been tongue.gif Im egg locked at the moment, so as soon as they start hatching ill go out and look for hollies again smile.gif .

After many years on DC I have finnaly manage to get two hollies from a trade I made earlyer this year ^^. I'm so happy. I can not wait till they hatch.

I haven't had any luck in the Holly department. Been trying to pick one off the AP / trade for one since I joined in 08. I have been incredibly unlucky. I stalk the AP for a few hours a day, I am just ALWAYS too slow. Either internet connection, bad reflexes or some combination of the two, I'm not sure.

It is -VERY- frustrating, and disheartening. However, I will NEVER catch one if I stop trying.... so back to the AP I go.

I have no holly and I doubt I get any in this or next year. I don't have anything very rare, so can't trade it, and I'm bad catcher. <___<