Bitterhawk

Holly Poll Who has what?

What proportion of people own a Holly  

1,035 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got my Holly right when they came out, and had I known it would have been so rare, I might have been more into the site and not left for years, haa.

I promised away the baby this year, but I'm always curious to see who gets the extra egg, so I stalk it. xP Next year, unless I have a friend who doesn't have one, I plan on gifting a 2nd gen Holly to someone, just because I like giving.

Yet if people start PMing me about it, I WILL flip a turd nugget. I started getting PMs and emails for a Holly promise last summer. And considering I wasn't "into" DC at that time, I had no idea what was going on and just kinda was going "D:".

I've only been on the site for just over a year now so I wasn't around when they first came out. I didn't know what they were last Christmas but I liked the eggs so tried to catch one. I'm having the same luck this year as I did last year...nothing. xd.png Honestly, I only want one for a single reason- to gift out the eggies. I'm not giving up on getting one though. Even if it takes me an eternity I will get one somehow.

Do people just want them because they're rare? IMO, Hollies and Golds have some of the most... unimpressive? outdated? sprites, which is why I've never cared much for collecting them. Had I known when I joined that people would so desperately want one, I would have gotten one my first x-mas on DC. xd.png But I never liked the sprite so I just didn't grab any.

I didn't care much for them at first, but they started to grow on me. I want one from a magi because I love magis and the holly is from the same spriter and has the same expression to it. I don't want one because they're rare, or because I think they're pretty. I want one because they're the next closest thing to a magi to me.

@Musetta: lolTurdNugget. I now have another name on reserve.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

I have an inbred, hella messy nth generation Holly, but it's one I caught yesterday. It's my first one and I've been after one for 3+ years. It's staying. I doubt anyone would want a holly from its line next year.

I have a ND I'm hoping to trade for another Holly but since it's my first ND (got it around same time as Holly egg) I'm sentimental like that and probably will keep it.

the 1st night they where breed i seen 15 of them come out sadly i have none yet.this year i seen double from last year production. fighting off 500 plus people for one is odds i can't win. (slow computer)oh well next year more will come out.

I bred my CB Holly yesterday, but sadly the recipient lost it due to lag. Hopefully I can breed a lot of eggs next year.

How exactly can you loose a Holly due to lag? We have teleport, you can't just loose anything, and catching an AP via code isn't implemented anymore.

Anywho: I own 2 Hollies and gave away 6 eggs this year smile.gif

I have one, a miracle catch on the AP in '08. I wasn't even hovering over its spot, it happened to be in a cluster of Yule eggs. I was all, "No way I got it, but better check the tab..." 0.0 *incomprehensible words punctuated by screaming*

I've been trying to catch a second since then. I've gifted his babies(well, the one I can control) since then though. Got to give a complete surprise to someone this morning who was very kind to me earlier this year. ^.^

How exactly can you loose a Holly due to lag? We have teleport, you can't just loose anything, and catching an AP via code isn't implemented anymore.

Anywho: I own 2 Hollies and gave away 6 eggs this year smile.gif

The post you quoted was from 2010, before teleport was implemented. This is a pretty old thread.

The post you quoted was from 2010, before teleport was implemented. This is a pretty old thread.

Ah okay, nevermind then smile.gif

The one I managed to catch the other night isn't a neat and even lineage and might have inbreeding--I didn't look that closely, I was just so excited to have finally caught one after 3 or 4 years. (I'm nearly positive I was around when they were originally released, I just couldn't catch one.)

I'm happy to breed my holly if I get the chance but I find the demand for even lineages very off-putting. I know that even lineages are preferred by a lot of people, but if the egg is that rare, are you gonna turn it down because the lineage doesn't stair-step the way you want it to? To me, that's just kinda silly.

Sigh, this is my first year in DC but I saw about 9 or 10 Holly eggs in AP.

Sadly, my internet sucks and I was so used to not seeing them after I refreshed the page that it took a while to register in my brain that it was there. sad.gif

Yay! Congrats, I bred that holly. biggrin.gif

I'll take good care of it. Thank you so much! biggrin.gif

And to anyone who doesn't have one, keep trying and don't give up. I'll be gifting next year when my own grows up. And I already have the perfect mate, providing it genders male smile.gif

I love the Holly sprites. They do look older than most of the other sprites, but I think that's why I like them. I don't have one and I really hope I can catch one this year, but even if I don't there is always next year! wink.gif I'm egg-locked right now(with two awesome 2nd gen Ribbon Dancers, an awesome 2nd gen Snow Angel and a couple of Yulebucks. smile.gif), but as soon as they hatch I'm going to be hunting for my last Snow Angel and a pair of, hopefully nice lineaged, Hollies.

Just missed 3 3d gen Hollies because I clicked on a Holiday I already had >.< I just about cried, stupid clicking.

Thus far no luck and I've been trying hard all day to get one. I click on it but wasn't fast enough or my internet fails on me with an error message

This is my third DC holiday and no Hollies for me yet! I've seen 9 on the AP but haven't been quick enough to catch one. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a straggler this year though! They always seem to show up when I get distracted or get stuck in an F5 loop lol

I'll be going on four years of hoping for a holly, I've seen three hollys ever. Not really hoping for much better this year. Hopefully those who have them will continue to spread the cheer, though smile.gif Eventually one will trickle down to me, maybe. Holly population just doesn't grow as quickly as the DC pop, though...

And just remember everyone, the hollies will only breed once this year, and the babies that grow up within the breeding window, still will not be able to breed this year, unless TJ does something magical to them. LOL

Just like any other holiday, they won't breed their own kind until next breeding season.

Yeah, I was wondering about that... Actually, my Holly's mother was bred in 2009, and same goes for its grandfather (2009). So I thought you could actually breed your offspring before the end of the breeding period. Did that change in 2010?

Edited by Kurenai

Yeah, I was wondering about that... Actually, my Holly's mother was bred in 2009, and same goes for its grandfather (2009). So I thought you could actually breed your offspring before the end of the breeding period. Did that change in 2010?

Yeah they did that in '09 to increase the Holly breeding pool by A LOT, because I guess there were only something like 78 breedable Hollies that came out of '08. I could be making that number up but in comparison to the number of people in the cave in general the number was insanely small.

From my own point of view, the reason I want a holly with a nice lineage is because I'm only ever allowed to own 2 of them. If we could own lots of hollies I would gladly take any, with any kind of lineage. But since we can only have two, I want at least one of those two to have a lineage that is nice--a lineage that shows that the people who own the dragon's ancestors made a deliberate effort to craft something beautiful or symmetrical, or with some kind of order to it.

If someone catches a holly with a messy or random lineage and breeds it, I have nothing against that person. After all, they aren't the person who originally made a messy holly when they could have made a neat holly. The people that frustrate me are the people who have the opportunity to make even gen, stairstep, spiral, or arrowhead hollies but end up making something messy because they didn't put the effort into making something nice that future recipients could feel proud of.

That makes sense. See, I just need people explaining this stuff for me! tongue.gif

My caught holly has a messy history, as does one of my other winter holiday dragons. Whenever I want to breed one that has a messy lineage (the breed-limits only, really), I do what I can to try to "clean it up" as best I can. So no breeding to messies together, try to match previous breedings as much as humanly possible, etc.

It wasn't how I always did it, but those that I messied up early on (first few months of DCing) don't really get any play anymore.