Bitterhawk

Holly Poll Who has what?

What proportion of people own a Holly  

1,035 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well I have been trying for 4 years to get one and without success. I love the hollies look despite the negative comments on it. And I clicked on umpteen of them and on two when I did my computer wouldn't acknowledge whether I got it or not. By just not doing anything. Then when I refresh the page it would reappear in the AP and when I click on it a second time I get that saying it was taken by swomebody else. Also too my time is limited in trying to catch one as Mom is in a long term care facility due to dementia/alzeheimers. And Dad and I are going up there twice a day. I can't go on it for any length of time at Night as he gets to the point where he says he will go out in the car.

It will be going on 5 years that I haven't been able to get one. This too will be the first xmas we won't be celebrating it with Mom at home and I thought maybe getting a holly egg would cheer me up a bit. Alas it is not to be. sad.gif

I've been trying to get a Holly for years with no luck. My catching skills have improved, but I'm visiting family and their internet is so slow that I can't even catch uncommons in the AP. laugh.gif I'm just glad that this year's Christmas dragon will still be dropping when I get home next week or I wouldn't have a shot at them either.

I don't begrudge the lucky people who have a Holly (or two) the ability to trade/gift/abandon them as they see fit. I abandon the eggs of my CB holidays every year and I choose to do so late in the breeding window with the idea that many seekers will already be their 2 egg quota and perhaps some of the people with slower connections can get them.

Blargh. It's my first christmas, and I managed to get at least one of everything except a holly. Most of the people with holly's are trading for other holly eggs, so most people cant catch a glance of one, including me. I'm not complaining, I just wish that with the increasing amount of hollys, people would trade with people that don't have any yet. It's not that I have slow connection, I have normal connection, it's just that people are in such a frenzy for them that they drink 10 gallons of coffee and stay up all night stalking the AP to grab one.

I am grateful for the one holly I have this year.

And knowing how shocked and happy I was when I received it, I wish everyone could get one. There are Christmas threads running, that I was unhappy with, but I've decided to keep gifting to the wish lists behind the scenes, I just won't do the posting of the gifts, I'll let the giftees do it. But I'd like to keep trying to help the people, it makes me happy to make someone's day, not to mention, I'm a great nabber. LOL

With all that said, what would happen (this is very hypothetical mind you-and probably will never happen) to the breeding of any holiday breed, that almost all scrolls had their limit? Would breeding decrease to go with the scrolls?

I don't think that it's right that a holly owner should "have" to randomly give away all the eggs their holly produces (isn't forced giving kind of the antithesis of Christmas anyway?). If they want to trade or IOU that *one* egg they're allowed to, that's their business. The others still go to hopeful players who don't have one of their own yet.

I think the most important thing is--regardless of what is done with the eggs--is that hollies are bred each year to try and up the number of dragons on the site. More hollies means more possible eggs for future holidays. Yeah, more players join DC and some holly owners drop out, but just think of how impossible things would be if people DIDN'T breed their hollies like crazy each year!

Thanks to a little Christmas angel I managed to actually obtain a holly this year and I've been trying to calculate to see if I can get it grown up in time for it to produce a holly litter of its own before the breeding window closes to give others a shot. No idea if I'll be able to do it, but I know I'm not alone in the endeavor and honestly, sometimes that's enough.

I have a scroll since almost 3 years ago and still couldn't catch one xd.png

I saw some yesterday, but I wasn't fast enough to get one.

Next year maybe ~

I don't think that it's right that a holly owner should "have" to randomly give away all the eggs their holly produces (isn't forced giving kind of the antithesis of Christmas anyway?). If they want to trade or IOU that *one* egg they're allowed to, that's their business. The others still go to hopeful players who don't have one of their own yet.

I think the most important thing is--regardless of what is done with the eggs--is that hollies are bred each year to try and up the number of dragons on the site. More hollies means more possible eggs for future holidays. Yeah, more players join DC and some holly owners drop out, but just think of how impossible things would be if people DIDN'T breed their hollies like crazy each year!

Thanks to a little Christmas angel I managed to actually obtain a holly this year and I've been trying to calculate to see if I can get it grown up in time for it to produce a holly litter of its own before the breeding window closes to give others a shot. No idea if I'll be able to do it, but I know I'm not alone in the endeavor and honestly, sometimes that's enough.

You won't be able to, unfortunately. The holiday eggs this year, will not be able to breed until next year, that's programmed into them, same with all holiday eggs.

You won't be able to, unfortunately. The holiday eggs this year, will not be able to breed until next year, that's programmed into them, same with all holiday eggs.

Odd. I waited until the last possible minute and bred my Yule. o.0. So it is possible, actually.

TJ programs them to say, "Last bred on .....the inserts a time that will be after the breeding deadline" and you won't be able to breed the new eggs that grow up this year.

I wish he would allow at least the Hollies to do it, but the one time people were able to do that, it was a glitch and it's been corrected. sad.gif

Oh, that was for Val '10. So the same rules don't apply to Valentines? o.o

So for example if i catch a holiday this year, i can only breed them next year on their specific holidays is that it? And same goes for next year etcetc?

Correct me if im wrong ><

Yes, all holidays are now the same. New eggs this year, have to wait until next year to breed. It's disappointing for the low population of hollies.

GYAHHHHHHHHHH WHAT ON EARTH T_T

Since im new here and this is my first holiday in DC, im not sure how holidays' breeding works.

Are they able to breed with commons or is it a must to breed them with their own kind?

GYAHHHHHHHHHH WHAT ON EARTH T_T

Since im new here and this is my first holiday in DC, im not sure how holidays' breeding works.

Are they able to breed with commons or is it a must to breed them with their own kind?

Commons produce more eggs. The short lineages are preferred, and dropping most of your stuff all at once makes others happy. <: Also, you should consider what the lineages for your dragons look like, although to a budding newbie, they'll take just about anything. I'd also take some IOUs of your dragons for newbies, as it helps people feel appreciated, and helped. I'd also recommend going to the newbie helping center.

No, they will be able to breed, just not produce their own kind until their holiday season. So a Ribbon Dancer can breed all year long, but will only produce another Ribbon Dancer during the Christmas breeding season. Hope that helps.

If I get an holly,and it hatches in time,I will be gifting its offspring to the the ones who don't have one smile.gif (I will be glad if I could get around...1000 eggs to everyone)

wish me luck,I will start my hunt again just after my work.

I dont really know much about lineages >_< i dont even know how to read the lineage page properly LOL! Ive seen terms such like "staircase lineage" etcetc around, but not sure why they are wanted so much.

But im just glad i managed to snag 3 christmas eggs from the crazy mob at the AP page xd.png

As soon as i saw the eggs starting to appear, i made a mad dash for my fast computer tongue.gif

But i havent been able to get a holly though... xd.png i could have gotten one actually , but i was like seriously stupid for thinking "okay now stop abandoning all your other eggs and appreciate what you have already" apparently i was obssesed with my darling electric egg LOL!

I dont really know much about lineages >_< i dont even know how to read the lineage page properly LOL! Ive seen terms such like "staircase lineage" etcetc around, but not sure why they are wanted so much.

But im just glad i managed to snag 3 christmas eggs from the crazy mob at the AP page xd.png

As soon as i saw the eggs starting to appear, i made a mad dash for my fast computer tongue.gif

But i havent been able to get a holly though... xd.png i could have gotten one actually , but i was like seriously stupid for thinking "okay now stop abandoning all your other eggs and appreciate what you have already" apparently i was obssesed with my darling electric egg LOL!

Okay, a stairstep lineage looks something like this:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/6AOvh

See the way it's stepping /up/? Yeah. you get that by having two main dragons that breed together, and then having one other dragon added on. Pseudo lineages like this are /not/ recommend for trading, unless someone has a blatant interest in them.

A 'even-gen lineage' looks like this:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/7mos See how thew parents only produced one baby and it looks 'even' in a sense? If you add more parents to it, like:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/0LUZ

You get more dragon 'pairs' added to the lineage. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Oh, and the reason it's so sought after is because they can be very pretty. There is also a spiral staircase lineage, but that isn't as common, and I don't have an example.

Edited by Ashes The Second

For what it's worth, I bred both of my hollies, so there are 6 more out there that I know of. LOL I teleported eggs to two people who I know will take good care of them, and the rest I've got my fingers crossed for in hopes that they'll be around to breed next year.

I one got from the AP by sheer luck, I made my scroll last year in October so I'm happy that I manage to get one this year. I didn't really try grabbing one last year.

No Hollies for me yet. I've been here a couple years, but I went on a hiatus, missed the Snow Angels and the Ribbon Dancers but somehow got the Pumpkins and the Marrows.

This Christmas has been amazing for getting all the beautiful Christmas dragons I missed, but of course there's still a Holly-shaped hole in my scroll. So I'm stalking the AP until I get a rotten headache and my eyes turn square. I'm still optimistic I can catch one and finish my collection, even with my glitchy internet.

Good luck to all other seekers out there as well. And congratulations to first-time Holly owners!

Right after I votet "no" I was able to trade for one! I'm so freaked out *lol* I still can't belive it.