TJ09

2010-11-11 - Feature Preview

Not breeding Hollies as a protest might work

Actually, no, it wouldn't work. It's basically impossible to protest the site programmer by not creating eggs that he could create himself any time he felt like it. If he wants multi-clutches to go straight to the AP, you might change his mind by talking to him about your feelings, but you'll NEVER change his mind by withholding your holly eggs. He could just put new hollies in the wilderness and breed them instead if the lack of your holly eggs bothered him. He isn't dependent on members here breeding their hollies, so why would he change the rule just because some people are threatening not to?

People can breed or not breed their dragons for any reason they want, including spite (though I think that's not very in keeping with the holiday, but to each his own.) But doing it to punish the site admin for a rule they don't like is pretty darn silly, you have to admit.

I wouldn't compare a holly to an IRL christmas present. ;o

Anyway, after this discussin I'd feel guilty if I grabbed a holly from AP at Christmas.

But I'll be happy if I get a yulebuck or/and christmas angel. smile.gif

xd.png Catching my Holly off the AP Last year was just about the happiest I was last Christmas... and I had bunches to be happy about last Christmas outside of DC.

Don't feel guilty! Plenty other Holly breeders are excited to put their eggs on the AP for people to try for. Honestly, I was pretty stressed about coordinating dropping held eggs between two people, now I don't have to worry! Thank you Teleport!

Edited by Draco Knight

oy vay. Teleport is pretty much confirmed to happen (due to this topic) so whining won't get you anywhere. You say there'll be a lack of rares in the AP; Yeah, well maybe a little bit but that's because the ones not hitting the AP are ones meant to be part of a gift/trade. And with Teleport even people on dial-up or broadband can get the eggs. Really, Teleport is only going to help DC in the long run. I see no cons from it that aren't petty little things.

AP trading may be axed but FFAs can, and will, still happen. You may not be able to use the abandoned/CODE page but tmk TJ has never supported that method anyways. So it was bound to be axed sooner or later, Teleport or not. So us getting Teleport is something to take its place. Something that TJ supports. And FFAs may be harder but they'll happen (like others have said it'll be "abandoning so and so egg, be on the look out!"). Which could be just as exciting as using abandoned/CODE.

You may not see it now, but after a while we'll all get used to Teleport and it'll help DC a lot. Sure LiT and such may be made pointless but isn't that a good thing? Cause it means no more of people missing their eggs. And also it helps with people whom live in different timezones. They won't have to struggle to find an appropriate time to meet up and they can just do Teleport when they're on since the egg(s)/hatchling(s) will wait on the Teleport page.

I don't know if someone else brought this up, but I thing bringing back the rareXrare is brilliant as well. Perhaps it will kill some of the AP clutter, since people wont need to worry about breeding their rares with something that will just sit there on the AP.

And yay! A holly owner who is a-OK with Teleport! Thank you for posting that, Draco!

No more big need for the LiT thhread with Teleport!

I WANT.

Oh TJ you made me feel so happy and hyper I literally can't calm down now.

As for me, I will keep dropping hollies and julebucks and whatever evenbased egg is the matter of that time in the AP. SImply because I know how hard it can be to get an egg of prior years. And not everybody is brave enough to as people for an egg. Some are just too damn shy and their only chance is the AP.

Thank you in advance for that! I't makes me happy to read this since it means that people like me have at least the slimest of a chance to actually get one of them at some point.

I would never ever dare to ask someone for an offspring from their holly. And the people I help and am gifting stuff to are usually newbies so they wouldn't have a holly to give me an offspring of as a gift in return. So yeah, the chances for people like me are as good as 0 to get one, but at least there are some people who breed theirs and we have the possibility at least. smile.gif

Edited by Janara

Hey, I just though of something! Holly gifting could still technically be done! People who are quick on the AP, and don't already have 2 of a specific holiday can catch and teleport the eggs to people who aren't good at catching. Sure, it won't be your own bred ones, but this could mean even more holiday gifting for the people who can do it - depending on how exactly teleport works, of course. It would be nice if more Magis=better for trading/gifting.

To all of those who still refuse to breed their Hollies in protest: What about those of us who are kind, responsible players, but who haven't kissed up to you or caught your lofty eyes do to our tendency to be shy? Should we just wait several more years until we do (if we do)? It just doesn't seem right that you would deny us just because you don't "know" us. We are just as deserving of a Holly as those you have deigned to send the offspring of your Hollies to, but you would deny us even the chance because we aren't "worthy enough" in your eyes. If that's not monopolization of the Hollies I don't know what is. I'm sorry if I come off as rude (which I probably did), but I'm just frustrated about this whole unfair situation.

This is not the thread for complaining about Hollies. Take it elsewhere please.

On topic... interested about the hatchling gendering thing. Froze a Marrow S1 hatchling and the other day it gendered.. argh. Hopefully I can convert it back? Hmm. Also the refusal thing is AWESOME simply because I never write down who refused who.

Okay, so if you don't have a badge. You could grab four eggs. They hatch. You can now grab four more. You incubate them and they all hatch before your four hatchlings grow up, giving you eight hatchlings. You grab one last batch of four hatchlings.

Giving you twelve total eggs and hatchlings. :3

If I understand TJ correctly...

the egg lock apparently only applies to eggs - not hatchies and the hatchies are only limited by the total # allowed.

So someone could grab/breed) 4 eggs and be "egg locked" but they still could go catch 8 hatchies from the AP to bring the total up to 12.

that would imply it would then be theoretically possible for a person to have no eggs but able to go grab 12 hatchies from the AP. Of course that would "scroll lock" them until up to 4 hatchies grew up in order to make room for up to 4 eggs.

Holy crap I'm so excited! With a silver badge i can get...6 eggs, right? and the vampire thing, where they show what dragon bit them, is something i was wishing for for a while....hang on, i'm confused about the teleport thingy, does this mean that magi dragons can teleport now or what?

edit: ohmygosh we can rename our dragons....holy censorkip.gif i can't waaaaaiittt....

edit again: oh my ****ing goshness....the S1 freezing thing is maybe my favorite one up there.....squee! I. AM. GOING. TO. DIE. (TJ is responsible for my death, and so is that magical list of splendor)

Edited by glamoursea2

blink.gifmad.gif What the...

If every active member that owns a Holly bred them this year and all the eggs go to the AP, the odds are in favor of everyone that was on a list for one getting one. I mean seriously, Hollies have been here for 3 years now, there are more than just a handful of people who own them. And each year they breed they create even more. It's simple math people.

Then there's the issue of less rares in the AP. Honestly, there will probably end up being more. There are plenty of people that breed their gold and silver dragons specifically to release the eggs into the AP. And those of us that have been trying to get them for 2+ years now will finally have a shot. As soon as I start gathering Golds, I will release any eggs I get to the AP. I already do that with my Silvers.

As for Paper, Cheese, Dinos and Chickens... If people would stop picking them up from the cave when they don't want them just to give them away, those of us that are looking for them would have a chance to catch them on our own. That goes for Event dragons too.

*sigh*

I don't know why I'm wasting my time with logic when people don't seem to be able to grasp it on their own.

After shock has settled, I must say I'm pretty thrilled about this. Only thing I'm not all for is metallic x metallic breeding. I don't really see the need for this, and it will make a lot of existing low gen metallics fall in value because they are not purebred. A bit of a bummer for those of us who were not around back in the days when catching a CB Gold was actually an option (like me).

On thing I simply don't understand:

I may release a tool that lets people take existing "S1 frozen" hatchlings (which are accomplished merely by low views) and "convert" them to proper S1 frozens.

This makes no sense to me. How is a S1 frozen hatchling "that was accomplished merely by low views" different from the "new" S1 frozen hatchlings? A S1 frozen hatchling is a S1 frozen hatchling unless there's something I'm missing?

blink.gifmad.gif What the...

If every active member that owns a Holly bred them this year and all the eggs go to the AP, the odds are in favor of everyone that was on a list for one getting one. I mean seriously, Hollies have been here for 3 years now, there are more than just a handful of people who own them. And each year they breed they create even more. It's simple math people.

Then there's the issue of less rares in the AP. Honestly, there will probably end up being more. There are plenty of people that breed their gold and silver dragons specifically to release the eggs into the AP. And those of us that have been trying to get them for 2+ years now will finally have a shot. As soon as I start gathering Golds, I will release any eggs I get to the AP. I already do that with my Silvers.

As for Paper, Cheese, Dinos and Chickens... If people would stop picking them up from the cave when they don't want them just to give them away, those of us that are looking for them would have a chance to catch them on our own. That goes for Event dragons too.

*sigh*

I don't know why I'm wasting my time with logic when people don't seem to be able to grasp it on their own.

...and this is a bad thing? or am i not getting it? if the rares became a tad more common, that would be great, but there are no worries of them becoming too common, because that would defeat the purpose of being called "rares". if they did get out of hand, TJ would adjust something. besides, rare x rare breedings still have low chances of producing anything. um, whatever you are saying, i am really not understanding...

You miss my point.

Some people with Hollies promised more than one person because they where under the impression they would get to direct the whole clutch. Not just one egg. I know a few people who promised two people hollies. This means someone will not get theirs and they had already traded ect for that egg.

That is what is upsetting some people.

I can see why.

I promised two people snow angels. It would be upsetting to only be able to fulfill the promise to one person ^^

If a person has only one holly they should NOT be promising eggs to more than one person anyway. Teleport or not... it's the dragon owner's fault for making promises they know they can't really keep!

Yes holiday dragons have a propensity for multi-egg clutch, but there is NO guarantee that they will produce a multi-egg clutch... holiday dragons are known to produce NO eggs or only 1 egg.

AP trading the way it is now... if you promise 4 people each a holly egg and your holly produces only 1 egg.. you've just made 3 people very miserable immediately. And when you attempt to give the 1 lucky person their egg and they fail to catch. Even if the holly produced 4 eggs.... all 4 could still fail to catch and all 4 are still miserable.

Teleport... you promise 1 person a holly egg and your holly produces 1 egg - you make your promise and safely deposit the egg on their scroll. If your holly gives 4 eggs.. you make your promised individual happy with a safely transferred egg and you make 3 random people deliriously happy when they grab from the AP - no guilt trips involved. Or you tell 1-3 friends you are about to transfer the 1 egg and that 3 others will be hitting the AP... those 3 people get the fun of having a chance to catch one, but their chance is as equal a chance as any other random person on the AP - no promises are made and therefore no promises are broken.

...and this is a bad thing? or am i not getting it? if the rares became a tad more common, that would be great, but there are no worries of them becoming too common, because that would defeat the purpose of being called "rares". if they did get out of hand, TJ would adjust something. besides, rare x rare breedings still have low chances of producing anything. um, whatever you are saying, i am really not understanding...

If you read through the last 10-15 pages or so of this thread you'll see snipping and complaning and straight out fighting amongst people because:

1) Hollies won't be able to be 'traded' to the intended recipients from waiting lists

2) With Teleport there will be even less rares in the AP

I have a solution for the holly issue. have biomes set up prior to christmas and let each one drop a different christmas dragon. one drops hollies, one yules, one snow angels. one a new type. Everyone gets whichever dragons they prefer, no more drama about teleport. Problem solved!

For what it's worth.. I will be breeding my one Holly, my two Yulebucks and my two Snow Angels, and ALL of their eggs will go to the AP. I made NO promises for any eggs to anyone.

And I'll be hunting for a 2nd gen Holly (mine's a 4th gen Thuwed). biggrin.gif

I even intend to throw back any Holly I catch that ISN'T 2nd gen.

I'm very excited about most of the new changes.. I hope the new egg limits are in place before xmas.. and the new scroll sorting is going to be awesome.