The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element Lineage

Opening the voting poll on November and Christmas dragons!

All members are welcome to vote, but please read the following definitions carefully.

Azure Glacewings

Dragon Description: Azure Glacewing Dragons are one of the largest breeds. They grow to overwhelming sizes; folklore tells of ancient dragons outgrowing even lakes and mountains. They are quite oblivious in nature, and rarely care for—or even notice—the presence of other, smaller creatures. When hungry, an Azure Glacewing might strike suddenly, securing a tasty snack. An adult Glacewing is often more commonly found in the sea than in the sky or on land, due to their enormous weight. However, come mating season, Azure Glacewings return to the forests in which they were born, so that the young have lots of game to feed on.

Additional Info: Didn't see any

Yes:

No: Fiona, Cathie, Lavinia, Xocowolf, Silver, Lastalda

Fell Dragons

Dragon Description: Fell Dragons are a primitive, fractious breed. They are born small but grow astonishingly quickly throughout their adolescence, and constant hunger inspires them to eat nearly anything that can be made to fit into their mouths. Legend has it that they never completely stop growing at all. Adult Fell Dragons are massive juggernauts: a diet rich in minerals and metals harvested from the earth helps them grow a dense, scaly carapace along their backs and toughens their thick hides, while their wickedly sharp claws and the bony, ax-like crest on their heads are well-suited for both hunting and physical combat. Though few Fell Dragons have crossed paths in the wild due to their primarily solitary nature, it is said that their thunderous disputes can be heard—and felt—for miles around.

Additional Info:

- Fell Dragons have quite inauspicious beginnings: from a dense, nearly human-sized egg, a hatchling emerges weighing less than 10 kilograms. They are born hungry, however, and grow frighteningly quickly as they feed. Within weeks, a Fell hatchling will have outgrown its egg with no signs of slowing down. Once it reaches sexual maturity after a few short years, it weighs over 10 tonnes, and will continue to grow - if more slowly - as it ages.

- In order to sustain its rampant growth, the Fell Dragon has adapted to consume just about everything: meat, plants, wood, even metal and stone. Its stomach acid is laced with death mana and perilously corrosive, capable of dissolving nearly anything it touches.

- A Fell Dragon has 2 pairs of eyes: a forward-facing primary pair and a diminished, side-facing secondary pair which expands the creature's field of vision without the need for turning its head to look around.

- Fell Dragons are believed to be a scourge upon the face of Valkemare, sowing destruction in their wake. The most ancient of their kind are called Calamities, a rare and terrifying sight to behold. Even in death these monsters are capable of rewriting the face of a landscape: once the acid within a Fell carcass eats through the decaying lining of its stomach, it spills out and carves a shallow basin around the carcass, scorching the earth of growing things. The acrid mire left behind is known as a fell pit, and naught but the hardiest and most unpalatable of vegetation will grow there for generations afterward.

- The dense hide and armored carapace of a fell dragon are inherently resistant to the effects of magic. All but the most powerful spells are simply absorbed or deflected. Open wounds, of course, are suitable weak points, but pain tends merely to enrage the beasts.

- Fell Dragons are not very bright, but if raised from the egg they can form lasting bonds with human caregivers. It goes without saying, however, that they make exceedingly poor pets.

Trivia:

- Fell Dragons are based off of aspects of several different Kaiju from Pacific Rim, namely Tresspasser, Mutavore, and Otachi. Their base physiology and behavior, however, are more inspired by the bear and rhinoceros

- The adult sprites are lovingly nicknamed Charlie and Sandra - just because.

- The Fell Dragon first came about in 2013, but I redid the sprites in 2015.

(Found on the DragonCave Wiki)

Yes: Xocowolf (Life, Earth), Silver (Earth)

No: Fiona, Lastalda, Cathie

Undecided: Lavinia

Honey Drakes

Drake Description: Honey Drakes are small, energetic creatures that feed almost exclusively on flower nectar, honey, and insects. The myriad scales covering their bodies protect them from the stings of angry bees as they feed from hives, though these dexterous and wily drakes rarely need the protection. Though notably silent most of the time, Honey Drakes are capable of producing a purr-like thrum that seems to calm bees down, and their ravenous appetite for nectar results in a free meal for the hive, harvested from the drakes’ own scales.

Additional Info:

I don't have anything to elaborate on about the Honey Drake concept, actually. You see...the honey drake was recycled.

Back in 2014, I was having second thoughts about the Gemshards, so I redid the sprites from scratch and added a fourth possible color (citrine). The original Gemshard sprites ended up being favored for release, so shelved the revamped versions as experience points. I really, really liked the citrine variant, though, and decided about a year later that I would dust it off and make the necessary edits to turn it into something usable.

I gave it wings and edited out the more Gemshard-esque features, deciding that they might make rather interesting eastern-inspired drakes. The concept of them as honey thieves was based almost entirely on their color. They almost became Amber drakes instead!

About the breed, I can say that when I call them small, I see them quite squarely on the small end of drake species. They feed almost exclusively on nectar and honey, and serve as highly effective pollinators since they can travel a fair bit farther in a short time than any insect.

I always imagined honey drakes to behave a bit like feral cat communities, where they go out foraging on their own but passively gather to enjoy the benefits of mutual grooming and play. They're very shy with other species, though, so they would probably vanish into the trees like squirrels at the first sign of trouble.

(Found on the DragonCave Wiki)

Yes: Xocowolf (Life), Silver (Life)

No: Lastalda, Cathie

Undecided: Fiona, Lavinia

Christmas 2016 Dragons (Snow Dragons)

Dragon Description: Holiday dragons are a very mysterious breed. They are only seen during winter, and even then it is hard to catch a glimpse of one. They are responsible for the general cheer that spreads during the holidays. In essence, they are the “Spirits of Winter.”

Additional Info: Snow Dragons have a tendency towards being playful and caring towards others but their personalities differ a little depending on the dragon. (Found on the DragonCave Wiki, no indication of who said it.)

Yes:

No:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just as a reminder, we're still voting on the latest dragons. I still don't know enough about the Christmas Dragons to vote one way or another, and I'm not comfortable closing anything but the Azure Glacewings because we don't have a consensus either way. If this goes on too much longer without any more input either way I'll take that to mean we can't put any of these dragons in the lineage at this time.

Edited by silver_chan

Christmas Dragon 2016 (Snow Dragon) I vote No. There isn't enough data to vote yes.

So, what is everyone working on right now?

Does anyone need any Valentine mates?

I'm not really doing much DC right now (no time), just raising a bunch of cave blockers when I get around to it.

Does anyone need 2nd gen Valentine mates or 2nd gen valentines? If yes, shoot me a PM, I'm always happy to know what to breed (not working on any holiday lines, myself), otherwise I'll just breed random 2nd gens to the AP. smile.gif

Since Valentine's is coming up and it doesn't look like we're going to get anymore votes...

Closing the poll on November and Christmas dragons

We are currently accepting none of the November dragons (Azure Glacewings, Fell, Honey Drakes) or the Christmas Dragons from 2016.

@Lastalda, I don't need anything at the moment but if I think of some I'll send you a PM smile.gif

Edited by silver_chan

So, it looks like the Valentine's kerfuffle is over (please let it be over) and some unknown but not unappreciated spriter has made and then remade our lovely Soulstone dragons.

Soulstone Dragons are deeply empathic creatures. The pearls which they carry with them from a very young age are deeply attuned to the emotions of those around them, glowing in accordance with the strength and sincerity of the bonds individuals share with one another. Soulstone dragons have the ability to show that, even in the heat of a vicious feud, the love that friends, family, and partners share for one another remains true and strong.

I'm leaning toward, but not completely voting yes, in Life because the are highly magical and can turn a non physical/mental thing (emotion) into something tangible (glowing pearls).

I think we're all still too much in shock from the kerfuffle to have thought about it much. xd.png

We were also in limbo for a while on what exactly the new dragons would end up being. Hopefully this stays the concept/description of the dragon? I think it is probably done changing now.

I'm also tentatively leaning towards Life for the Soulstone Dragons. They are deeply attuned to deep love and care for others (and not specifically romantic love, how refreshing for a Valentine's Day concept!), which is a part of nature unique amongst our breeds. They provide a service to the world of demonstrating that this deep love (in both general and specific cases) is resilient against fights or hardships. Not only are the Soulstone Dragons affected by this specific part of nature (true, deep, loving bonds between individuals) and this dictates how their pearl reacts, the Soulstone Dragons also significantly affect this very same part of nature by essentially being messengers of hope and reassurance that these bonds are ever-strong, bolstering faith in the bonds (which I assume strengthens them more). To me, this seems to be the entire life's mission for these peaceful creatures, reaffirming everyone's faith in all of the most important relationships in their life. Not to mention, the entirety of this is incredibly magical.

Perhaps this is merely a flight of fancy, but I think that they are more than just the chosen carriers of special pearls. I think that they have a symbiotic relationship with their pearls, and the magic of the pearl and the identity of the dragon are intertwined from birth.

Love your interpretation, Lavinia! wub.gif

I'm voting YES in LIFE, for those same reasons: I see them as a strong force for good (strengthening emotional bonds), being strongly effected by this very specific aspect (love in all its senses) and very magical.

Actually, with Life being the 5th element from the movie, which is very akin to love/the positive force that holds the universe together, these dragons seem like a pretty perfect fit for this category to me. smile.gif

Edited by Lastalda

I should really watch the movie this lineage is based on! tongue.gif

I should also specify that I am voting YES in LIFE and the "leaning tentatively" in my previous post was before I started thinking out my reasoning. By the end of the post I was quite convinced, and I forgot to edit the beginning.

TJ's dragons grew up!

Tetra Dragons are often found in large groups. They are very social both with their own species and with others. Tetra Dragons are very active and change locations quite frequently. Males defend small parts of territory within the groups but major conflicts rarely occur. Tetra Dragons prefer territory with lots of natural hiding places and can be skittish.

nothing elemental here

Fire Gem Dragons are a colorful, flamboyant breed often found in hot climates, particularly around active volcanoes. Their broad tails store the flames they breathe, which are colored by the heavy amount of minerals in the water they drink. These dragons come in a variety of colors, and will collect shiny trinkets and stones that match their own coloration. Despite their hoarding tendencies, though, Fire Gem dragons are social and will often congregate in groups and show off their collections while fawning over the stones their friends and rivals have gathered, occasionally arranging trades.

Yes, , yes, yes to elemental. Now just to decide on Fire or Earth.

I love the Fire Gems for this lineage!

I'll be opening voting for this month's dragons as well as the Valentine's ones very soon, my work is stressful lately but I'll try to do it sometime this weekend, Monday at the latest.

Sorry I've been absent from the thread. Life...

Was voting closed on Soulstones? I'd like to add my yes in Life vote, even though late.

Also voting yes on Fire Gems. I am thinking Earth more than Fire because they not only consume minerals but collect bits too. They take their coloring from the minerals they consume.

Voting no on Tetras.

I vote Yes on the Fire Gems, as well. Either Fire or Earth.

And I'm glad I got all three when they were dropping because it looks like they're gonna be rare!

Thinking a Blue Fire Gem checker with either Rainbow Copper or Liver Sulfate Copper. I know, glutton for punishment here! smile.gif

No on Tetras.

Edited by Xocowolf

Opening the voting poll on Valentine's Day and March Dragons!

All members are welcome to vote, but please read the following definitions carefully. Ideally we would like a breed to have 2-3 distinct characteristics to qualify for an Elemental category, so if giving a YES vote please state your reasoning along with it. You may not compare a new release to an already eligible breed. They must be voted in on their own merit.

EARTH - Dragons comprised of, resembling, or able to control rock, metal, and/or dirt, POSSIBLY residing in the earth. For example, a stone dragon is made of stone-like material AND eats rocks. Green dragons live within the caves AND have control over the earth.

WIND - Dragons comprised of gas or with a strong connection to weather or the cosmos. POSSIBLY those that spend a majority of their time in the air. For example, grey dragons land only to rest and eat AND they have control of the weather. Thunder dragons land only to sleep and breed. They get moisture from the clouds and control the weather.

FIRE - Dragons who control or are comprised of fire or electricity. Also those that resemble fire or the sun or which are controlled by or strongly tied to the sun. For example, magma dragons are coated in magma, live in volcanic regions AND are capable of withstanding intense temperatures. Sunsongs control light AND are controlled by the light.

WATER - Dragons who control or are comprised of water in either it's liquid or solid state. Also those that live the entirety of their lives in the water. For example, ice dragons form icicles on their skin, and can freeze a predator with their cold breath.

LIFE - Dragons who rely on or are affected by a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds. Dragons who possess mana pertaining to magical, mental or spiritual control or consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds, or having a significant positive role in the world that is different from other breeds, or having a significant effect on a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds, including both positive and negative effects. For example, a qualifier can not be that the dragon depends on living in the trees alone. But Pumpkin dragons would qualify because they live specifically in pumpkins AND can only be bred during Harvest time.

Soulstone Dragon

Soulstone Dragons are deeply empathic creatures. The pearls which they carry with them from a very young age are deeply attuned to the emotions of those around them, glowing in accordance with the strength and sincerity of the bonds individuals share with one another. Soulstone dragons have the ability to show that, even in the heat of a vicious feud, the love that friends, family, and partners share for one another remains true and strong.

Additional info: Didn't see any (aside from stuff about the controversy, which didn't seem to be relevant)

Yes: Lastalda (Life), Xocowolf (Life), Lavinia (Life), Silver (Life), Fiona (Life), Cathie (Life)

No:

Tetra Dragon

Tetra Dragons are often found in large groups. They are very social both with their own species and with others. Tetra Dragons are very active and change locations quite frequently. Males defend small parts of territory within the groups but major conflicts rarely occur. Tetra Dragons prefer territory with lots of natural hiding places and can be skittish.

Additional Info:

(Corteo on the DC Wiki)

Habitat: Tetra dragons live on the coasts and in the jungle, preferring more humid climates. They need habitats with easy access to hiding places.

Diet: While Tetra dragons do eat some vegetation, the majority of their diet consists of fish and small rodents. If a Tetra Dragon’s diet isn’t satisfactory for their needs, their colors will fade.

Mating: Tetra dragons mate for life in the wild, though in captivity it is possible to to match them with multiple mates.

Wild Behavior: Tetra dragons have a poisonous bite that they use as a defense mechanism. In the wild, they are somewhat more independent than their tame counterparts.

Tame Behavior and keeping: Tame Tetra dragons do not make affectionate companions. While they are very dependent on others of their own kind, they can be standoffish around humans.

Hatchling behavior: Hatchlings tend to be clingy and need constant companionship. If you do not earn their trust they will be skittish around you. Hatchlings are very active an often get themselves in trouble.

Magic: Tetra dragons breath fire but that is about the extent of their magical abilities.

Meta: The Tetra Dragon was a personal nostalgia project. I wanted to create a dragon that I could imagine being released when I first joined. The colors are based on neon tetra fish - my favorite fish from my aquarium growing up. Hope you enjoy them!

Yes:

No: Fiona, Silver, Cathie, Lavinia, Lastalda

Fire Gem Dragon

Fire Gem Dragons are a colorful, flamboyant breed often found in hot climates, particularly around active volcanoes. Their broad tails store the flames they breathe, which are colored by the heavy amount of minerals in the water they drink. These dragons come in a variety of colors, and will collect shiny trinkets and stones that match their own coloration. Despite their hoarding tendencies, though, Fire Gem dragons are social and will often congregate in groups and show off their collections while fawning over the stones their friends and rivals have gathered, occasionally arranging trades.

Additional Info: Nothing that looked like it helped the Elemental argument.

Yes: Cathie (Earth), Silver (Earth), Fiona (Earth), Xocowolf (Earth or Fire), Lavinia (Earth), Lastalda (Earth)

No:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry I'm late! Haha. Just let me know if there are any mistakes!

-Silver

Edited by The Fifth Element

For the Soulstones:

Yes in Life, please.

For the Tetra:

No, thank you.

For the Fire Gems:

Yes, in Earth, please.

They purposefully heavily consume specific minerals to color their fires. They purposefully collect specific precious gemstones etc. to match their colorings. Possible barter based society based on the gemstones.

Popping by to wish us a Happy Eighth Full Circle/Birthday wub.gif

Thanks to everyone who still collect Elements & gather here to post about it. Also, SO very grateful to Lastalda & silver chan who continue to organize and lead the group!!!

Dang, I totally forgot about the 4th! Ah well... it seems I have one Full Circle dragon by mistake. That's nice at least xd.png

Closing the Valentine's Day/March voting!

We are accepting the Soulstone Dragons in Life!

We are accepting the Fire Gem Dragons in Earth!

We are not accepting the Tetra Dragons.

Thanks for voting! And two new eggs are currently dropping in Coast, Desert, and Volcano, according to TJ's post.

Since the three colors of Fire Gems are breedable from each other, having all three colors of Fire Gems is going to have to be added to the criteria for All-Inclusive Leeloos.

I'll try to figure out how to do that soon; I'll at least edit the first page soon if nothing else.

It doesn't look like the new dragons are elemental, though they are pretty cool.

Sinii Krai Dragons are known for their love of fish and their strong personalities. They are able to travel both in the air and in the water with their unique tails. They live on the coast in groups of ten or more and are fiercely territorial. Sinii Krai Dragons are nearly impossible to tame if not obtained at an early age. Great care must be taken around them as their skin is highly poisonous after maturity.

Scimitar-wing Wyverns are a small breed, eating mainly birds and small vertebrates; as such, they lack the large teeth and heavy claws of their larger cousins. They are far from defenseless, however, and are named for the blade-like growth that forms over the first digit of their wings. The wyverns use these blades to defend themselves from any attacker. Their blades are quite strong and can cut through almost any scale or hide.