The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element Lineage

@gigglymonkey12: 1. Correct. 5E, Element or some version of element.

2. Also correct.

Thank you smile.gif

I'm excited to not be scroll locked so I can start working on some of these lineage projects.

Welcome to the lineage, Gigglymonkey! I think you'll find it quite addictive, and don't worry about naming your dragons really fast or anything /glances at my hundreds of unnamed dragons guiltily

heheh I think I'm a bit crazy with naming mine. *glances at my random word generator*

Oh hey, a random word genorator would solve my problems handily, thank you for the suggestion! And I could name my other dragons too xd.png

Oh hey, a random word genorator would solve my problems handily, thank you for the suggestion! And I could name my other dragons too xd.png

Yup. I just ask it for two random words and it is all plug and chug afterwards.

Hi everyone, sorry for being so quiet! I'm currently drowning in work. xd.png

A very warm welcome to our 2 new members! I'll send you a welcoming PM with more information on how to get started with registering next week, yes?

And one of these days I'll also get around to making SnowyIcefall her own spreadsheet...

@all:

please do discuss the new releases already, don't wait for me!

There'll eventually be a voting post within the next week or two...

Wah! *ducks back to work*

Edited by Lastalda

Well then, let's start talking about our new dragons. smile.gif

Candelabra dragons: I think yes in Fire. !. They're self-lit candles. 2. Control the light level. 3. ... (have to look up... there was more I was sure)

Morphodrakes: I don't really see anything very elemental, which is hugely disappointing. I'd really like them to be elemental. I don't know if you guys can see more than I'm seeing. They are based on the Common Morpho butterfly, which is a really cool butterfly.

Tarantula Hawk drakes: Again I don't see anything particularly elemental about them. I'd really like another elemental drake but if neither are elemental I guess we'll have to wait for the next drake.

Nexus dragons: I think yes but not sure exactly where. 1. Fire mana. 2. Ice mana = water? 3. Highly magical. 4. Utilize mana from their diet. (even if yucky that they eat other dragons' corpses.)

Frills: disappointing but there's nothing really elemental about them that I can see. I did want to revisit but the concept didn't change so.

Arias: I think a case could possibly be made for Life here. They're magical dragons. Also, singing. Singing is nature and magical.

Nexus dragons: I think yes but not sure exactly where. 1. Fire mana. 2. Ice mana = water? 3. Highly magical. 4. Utilize mana from their diet. (even if yucky that they eat other dragons' corpses.)

user posted image

Candelabra dragons: I think yes in Fire. !. They're self-lit candles. 2. Control the light level. 3. ... (have to look up... there was more I was sure)

Frills: disappointing but there's nothing really elemental about them that I can see. I did want to revisit but the concept didn't change so.

Arias: I think a case could possibly be made for Life here. They're magical dragons. Also, singing. Singing is nature and magical.

Candelabra: 3 could be the thing about betraying them...? I don't know, but the whole thing about it being enough to change their personalities sometimes struck me as standing out.

Nexus dragons...are tricky. I have no idea how to class those, but they might have to go into two different categories. They are a unique dragon!

I am also sad Frills don't seem to be more elemental. I would love to welcome them to the elemental family!

Aria I would also like to be in the lineage, and I could definitely see them in life.

Morphodrakes: I don't really see anything very elemental, which is hugely disappointing. I'd really like them to be elemental. I don't know if you guys can see more than I'm seeing. They are based on the Common Morpho butterfly, which is a really cool butterfly.

Tarantula Hawk drakes: Again I don't see anything particularly elemental about them. I'd really like another elemental drake but if neither are elemental I guess we'll have to wait for the next drake.

Candelabra - yes - fire!

Morphrdrakes - sorry, no

Tarantula - Sorry, no

Nexus - Yes - Life as they control two different elements

Frills - sorry, no

Arias - on the fence

And one of these days I'll also get around to making SnowyIcefall her own spreadsheet...

Its ok take all the time ya need. Im still trying to sort all my elements and seeing which dragons I have are elements anyway tongue.gif its a slow process but i finiially got halfway through the fires xd.png

anyway for voting

Candelabras- Yes in Fire

Morphrdrakes- I see nothing thats elemental so no

Tarantula - Same as above so No

Nexus - Yes they seem elemental but i dont know what catagory they would go under .-.

Frills - No...They dont seem elemental

Arias - Unsure... Leaning towards Yes though.

So...I'm actually a bit confused. Is this like a personal lineage project where we use 5E in the naming?

I reread the thing and I didn't notice any specific rules about what to do.

Personal lineage to me implies that you're the only one doing it, so no. You do mostly start with your own dragons and breed to certain criteria for the milestones, but we also tend to swap. The criteria are that only certain breeds are part of the lineage. So as long as only those breeds are in a dragon's lineage they can be part of 5E. Breeding for milestones adds another element and challenge. Probably the current most challenging of those is the All-Inclusive Leeloo (outlined on the front page) which is why the gift for that accomplishment is a CB silver. Other milestones have other possible gifts for achieving them.

So...I'm actually a bit confused. Is this like a personal lineage project where we use 5E in the naming?

I reread the thing and I didn't notice any specific rules about what to do.

The only real rules are that every dragon in the lineage must only have Elemental dragons in the lineage--so, for example, a checker with Canopy and Silver would be fine, but a BSA Pink and Silver would not--and that I think you have to put them on your spreadsheet for them to count towards the milestones. That's where the lineage part comes in, that we're all working to achieve milestones and get eggs that way. Like Fiona said, you can get CB Silvers and other rewards (depending on what you breed) if you breed an even gen where all the CBs are different breeds of dragon, or what is generally known as a Leelo (from the movie The Fifth Element), and other Milestones like that. It is indeed a rather personal lineage, since you have to keep the Elemental dragons you breed on your scroll, so everyone does the milestones to their tastes.

We also come together to debate and vote whenever a new dragon is released, including holiday dragons. We have very flexible rules which is the best way to do things imo. Many other milestones have a long list of rules and stuff and they scare me off xd.png

Edited by silver_chan

Candelabras: Yes, in Fire

Morphodrakes: No

THDrakes: No

Nexus: Yes, in Life. I would also be fine with Fire or Water, but I'm inclined primarily towards Life because of how I read the Life definition. "Dragons [...] consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds." Nexus Dragons are infused with two types of magic in a way that we seem to be agreeing is very different from anything we've seen before. Close enough for me to put them in there. Not to mention they eat to collect magic and grow mana crystals. They seem to have a stronger connection to mana/magic in general than either fire or ice.

Frills: No

Arias: Unsure. However, leaning towards... Yes, in Life

... Nexus Dragons are the only ones I really have an opinion on. One strong enough for me to defend, anyway.

Edited by MyrrhDarkwing

I agree with putting Nexus dragons in Life. It makes much more sense than putting them in both categories, lol.

The only real rules are that every dragon in the lineage must only have Elemental dragons in the lineage--so, for example, a checker with Canopy and Silver would be fine, but a BSA Pink and Silver would not--and that I think you have to put them on your spreadsheet for them to count towards the milestones. That's where the lineage part comes in, that we're all working to achieve milestones and get eggs that way. Like Fiona said, you can get CB Silvers and other rewards (depending on what you breed) if you breed an even gen where all the CBs are different breeds of dragon, or what is generally known as a Leelo (from the movie The Fifth Element), and other Milestones like that. It is indeed a rather personal lineage, since you have to keep the Elemental dragons you breed on your scroll, so everyone does the milestones to their tastes.

We also come together to debate and vote whenever a new dragon is released, including holiday dragons. We have very flexible rules which is the best way to do things imo. Many other milestones have a long list of rules and stuff and they scare me off xd.png

That's good to know that it doesn't matter between the different elements.

I think I'm just freaking out because this is quite simple vs the other projects I'm in where there are more rules.

Thank you

That's good to know that it doesn't matter between the different elements.

I think I'm just freaking out because this is quite simple vs the other projects I'm in where there are more rules.

Thank you

Posting in this thread regularly also means you are counted as a member. In fact, I was a member for a few months before I named any dragons elementally.

I've been here for 3 years now (I think?) and I've only just started my first actual 5e lineage project, before I was just collecting elementals and participating here. So don't stress about this lineage! It's quite laid-back and relaxed.

The different elements do sometimes matter in cases where you want to request a reward for a specific goal, for instance (2b) having registered every available breed in one category (element), but you don't have to worry about that if you don't want to!

---

My thoughts on the new/re-releases:

Sorry to be a party pooper, I know we all want more elemental breeds, but we have high standards for admitting a breed. Remember, you are not supposed to vote yes for a breed without listing at least 3 different ways in which it qualifies for the category.

Aria: NO - Having strong magic applies to most breeds, I think, and is too general to qualify a breed for Life, especially if it is the breed's only elemental trait (which it is for the Arias). A breed being closely tied to music is new for DC, certainly. However, to qualify for Life, the unique aspect must be (at least) one of these: (a) something the breed fundamentally relies on or is affected by, (B) of mana pertaining to magical, mental, or spiritual control, © an aspect of the breed which comes about because of their unique type/use of magic, (d) something with a significant positive role in the world, or (e) creating a significant (negative or positive) effect on a very specific part of nature.* The Arias' singing is (a) not something the Arias rely on or are significantly affected by, (B) not comprised of mana OR causing any control over the world, © not created by the Arias' magic (vocal chords aren't magic!), and (d & e) not creating a significant positive role in the world or any part of nature (it's pretty music... but not changing anything, it is even described as sounding like bird calls, without the Arias we would still have birds creating things that sound like bird calls).

Nexus: YES, in Life. Using the same a-e options as above: 1 - © I think the mix of two different, powerful, non-combining elements is pretty special and unique, especially being able to attack with fire and ice simultaneously, and this is only made possible by the configuration of mana in a Nexus. 2 - (a) they fundamentally rely on mana because they eat creatures with high levels of mana which fuels everything about the breed (breath attacks, insanity, mana horn growth, etc.). 3 - (a) they are fundamentally affected by nature due to the mix of fire and ice mana in close proximity which drives them mad. As a bonus, they are strong magic users.

Candelabra: NO but I could be convinced otherwise - the only elemental Fire aspect I see is the ability to control light (being self-lit candles I believe is the same thing, as is using their light to attract prey). If someone can find a different argument for them in Fire, one that is not an effect or restating of their ability to control their wing/head lights, I'd be happy to vote yes.

Morphodrake: NO - I see nothing elemental.

Tarantula Hawk Drake: NO - I see nothing elemental

Frill: NO - I see nothing elemental. (But I'm super happy that they are back!)

*Someone please correct me if I missed pulling out any options from our definition of what qualifies a breed for Life on the first page. I don't think I did, though.

Maybe that's why 5E has been around for so long. smile.gif

This project is very, very relaxed. Join our discussions and/or name and register some dragons, breed them as you like (crossovers with other lineages are explicitly allowed from our side), work towards Milestones and claim them if you like. That's all we require. smile.gif

---------------------------------

Afraid I have to agree with Lavinia on Arias - they're great dragons, but if you want to vote them in, please list specific reasons! Unless convincing arguments and possibly additional information are brought forth, I vote No.

For Candelabras I vote Yes in Fire - I see Light Mana as a form of Fire element, and they are strongly attuned to that. I would count the lights on top of their wings, which they control and can even move independently from their body, as well as the thin coat of Light Mana covering their wings. As a lesser but supportive factor, their temperaments also sound quite fiery (violent outbursts of rage when betrayed).

Nexus dragons get a strong Yes in Life, for the reasons already mentioned.

Morphodrakes, Tarantulas and Frills all get a No from me - nothing elemental that I can see.

Edited by Lastalda

Well, I didn't give more specific reasons for Arias because I don't have them. I was kind of hoping someone else saw something I was missing that was specific.

If we had specific questions we could send to birdzgoboom I could PM her and ask about Arias. She said they're strongly magical but didn't give anything detailed about their magic so we don't know how that works. We don't know much about their singing except that it's reminiscent of bird calls but more refined and elegant. We know they fill the area they inhabit with their song-like melodies. That reads to me as something more than simple bird calls. But no, I agree that at this time we don't have enough on them to qualify for the lineage.

And also, it isn't true that most breeds have strong magic. Some in particular are listed as having little to none. Most simply don't specify. We can't conclude from the information supplied one way or the other.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

I'll need to hear more about Arias before I draw a conclusion either way. Yes, singing is good, but lots of critters sing. What function — other than letting potential mates and rivals know where they are — does the song have?

Morphodrakes, Tarantula Hawk drakes and Frills — I'm voting No.

Nexus and Candelabra: YES in Life and Fire, respectively.

Poking my nose in laugh.gif

Arias = NO

Frills = NO (sadly)

Morphodrakes = No

Tarantula Hawk Drakes = No

Candelabra = Yes in Life

Nexus = Yes torn between Fire and Life

Whew, I finally got around to naming and organizing all my elemental dragons. That's a relief! And now that I have a strategy for naming the things, I'll probably be able to do this without having such a backlog in the future.

Hey guys, new dragons! 'This egg has a striking pattern' is dropping in Alpine and Forest biomes, and there's a new hybrid! It's made by breeding Waverunner and Electric, making it a strong candidate for the lineage.