The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element Lineage

I'm not a fan of the witchlights but the reasoning is sound for adding them in life, so no objections here!

On other thread business...  How hard is it to get a different Xenowyrm type from a breeding?  I started trying in February for my All-Inclusive project and still no 2g Xenowyrm of a different type than its parent.  (I have successfully gotten a 2g alt vine and a 2g alt undine for the Leeloo in that time.)  Do I just have awful luck?  Is there a trick to it (aside from having the CB mate being from a different biome than the CB Xenowyrm)?  I'm also very worried about needing to do this not once but five times to get all Xenowyrm types in the Leeloo... that might take forever.

By the way, the front page still does not list Thalassa Xenowyrms as elemental.

Ok, Thalassas have been fixed now!

Also I think that unless you have two Xenowyrms to breed together, you're only going to get a different type from your first breeding, when the dragon you're breeding it with has a biome. I'm *fairly* certain that you can't do that with a bred dragon; it'll just give you the Xenowyrm color you're working with, just like we can only get two copper colors in a Leelo.

As for the chances of getting a different color, I'm really not sure. I think I've only gotten one of the few I've bred, but I haven't bred many, either.

Edited by silver_chan

It would be nice to know for sure whether it is possible or not.

Fiona's All-Inclusive Leeloo chart has it as possible to get all 6 Xenowyrm types.

Hmm, perhaps I was wrong. But I personally suspect the rates of getting a different-colored Xeno from a dragon of no specific biome is going to be very difficult indeed.

I asked when I made the Leeloo chart and was told that is is possible to get the other Xenos when breeding, however it is rare. I haven't actually been trying because Life. And I didn't ask birdzgoboom herself.

And for new news... new eggs. We don't know enough yet to know if they're elemental. I'm not sure I see anything very promising.

Xenowyrms: I have a 2nd gen that is different from its parent, so that much is definitely possible.

However, I'm struggling massively to get the same effect for the next gen - and thinking of the generations to come kinda overwhelms me (because the pool of not-yet-used Xenos becomes smaller with every generation, and also the mate will become more common, too (since the commons tend to win in a Leeloo), so the likelihood of getting any Xeno offspring decreases)... xd.png

Has anyone seen the non-parent-Xeno-effect in a 3rd+ gen anywhere? The Wiki is not quite clear whether bred eggs fall into the "Non-Xeno (Cave)" scenario, which is what we assumed...

If getting a different-from-parent Xeno from a bred non-xeno parent is impossible, we have to respecify the Leeloo!

@Phantom: nice!!! wub.gif

Also, November release, everyone! wub.gif

Edited by Lastalda

TJ's dragons are grown.

Azure Glacewing Dragons are one of the largest breeds. They grow to overwhelming sizes; folklore tells of ancient dragons outgrowing even lakes and mountains. They are quite oblivious in nature, and rarely care for—or even notice—the presence of other, smaller creatures. When hungry, an Azure Glacewing might strike suddenly, securing a tasty snack. An adult Glacewing is often more commonly found in the sea than in the sky or on land, due to their enormous weight. However, come mating season, Azure Glacewings return to the forests in which they were born, so that the young have lots of game to feed on.

Fell Dragons are a primitive, fractious breed. They are born small but grow astonishingly quickly throughout their adolescence, and constant hunger inspires them to eat nearly anything that can be made to fit into their mouths. Legend has it that they never completely stop growing at all. Adult Fell Dragons are massive juggernauts: a diet rich in minerals and metals harvested from the earth helps them grow a dense, scaly carapace along their backs and toughens their thick hides, while their wickedly sharp claws and the bony, ax-like crest on their heads are well-suited for both hunting and physical combat. Though few Fell Dragons have crossed paths in the wild due to their primarily solitary nature, it is said that their thunderous disputes can be heard—and felt—for miles around.

Honey Drakes are small, energetic creatures that feed almost exclusively on flower nectar, honey, and insects. The myriad scales covering their bodies protect them from the stings of angry bees as they feed from hives, though these dexterous and wily drakes rarely need the protection. Though notably silent most of the time, Honey Drakes are capable of producing a purr-like thrum that seems to calm bees down, and their ravenous appetite for nectar results in a free meal for the hive, harvested from the drakes’ own scales.

Unfortunately I don't see anything in Azure Glacewings or Fell dragons that I think is remotely elemental. Not too sure on Honey Drakes.

Ninja'd by Fiona!

Azure Glacewing Don't seem Elemental at all.

Fell Dragons a diet rich in minerals and metals harvested from the earth gives them one point for Earth.

Honey Drakes Their symbiotic relationship with bees and their control over them give them two points in Life for me.

Edited by Grandmother_cathie

I'm the other direction.

I think Fells have two points in Earth because they eat metal and minerals, and grow armory and weaponry from their consumption. Their causing of extremely localized earthquakes (from fighting) is another point, though arguable.

I see nothing Elemental about the other two.

Odeen also said here,

- The dense hide and armored carapace of a fell dragon are inherently resistant to the effects of magic.

Being resistant to magic wouldn't in itself qualify them for Earth, but with the other points in their favor I think we should count it. Or maybe count it as part of them ingesting minerals and such, that they don't just make armor but armor that is resistant to magic. That's pretty impressive!

I really like the idea of the Honey Drakes for the lineage, but there's not much there... just a symbiotic relationship with bees. I wouldn't even give them control over bees since the hum is another part of their relationship, though the fact they can produce food for the bees is pretty cool... idk. I just don't see enough for three points there, unless Odeen gives us more.

Azure Glacewings seem totally un-elemental to me.

The Christmas breeding season is coming and I have been way behind on figuring out mates, so if anyone can help out with breeding me a couple of mates before the 17th (so egg slots are open when breeding starts on the 19th) that would be fantastic. Thank you!

Elemental Winter Magi mates needed: Verdigris Copper, Moonstone, Autumn x 2 (3g), Rainbow Copper (3g), Gold Wyvern (3g)

Elemental Solstice mates needed: Autumn x 2, Liver of Sulfur Copper

Elemental Mistletoe mates needed: Autumn, Frostbite

(2g unless specified)

Edit: THANK YOU Fiona and cathie!

---

ALSO! We have sometimes done a 5Ecret Santa gift exchange after the holiday madness in January. Any interest?

Edited by Lavinia

5Ecret Santa would be fun.

I don't think I can help with the 3rd gen mates you need. I'm not sure about the 2nd gens. Are any of the ones you need mates for from my scroll? 2nd gen Winter Magi, Solstice and Mistletoe are doable. I think. I have to check mine to make sure they'll breed the right color on the coppers.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

I'd be down for a 5Ecret Santa thing, or even a shiny drawing. We haven't done one of those in a while!

I'll put up a voting thing for November dragons soon, my life got a little crazy this past month.

@Lavinia: sorry, tried both my Solstices, got no egg. sad.gif Can't help with any 3rd gens, sadly.

Does anyone else need any 2nd gen holiday mates?

Or holidays, for that matter? I have had zero requests so far. If nobody asks I'll breed them all to the AP.

Here's my holiday list, please don't be shy about asking, PM away. smile.gif

I would happily join a 5ecret 5anta in January. smile.gif

As for the new releases, I'm still pondering my vote, but so far tending towards No on all three.

Edited by Lastalda

Opening the voting poll on November and Christmas dragons!

All members are welcome to vote, but please read the following definitions carefully. Ideally we would like a breed to have 2-3 distinct characteristics to qualify for an Elemental category, so if giving a YES vote please state your reasoning along with it. You may not compare a new release to an already eligible breed. They must be voted in on their own merit.

EARTH - Dragons comprised of, resembling, or able to control rock, metal, and/or dirt, POSSIBLY residing in the earth. For example, a stone dragon is made of stone-like material AND eats rocks. Green dragons live within the caves AND have control over the earth.

WIND - Dragons comprised of gas or with a strong connection to weather or the cosmos. POSSIBLY those that spend a majority of their time in the air. For example, grey dragons land only to rest and eat AND they have control of the weather. Thunder dragons land only to sleep and breed. They get moisture from the clouds and control the weather.

FIRE - Dragons who control or are comprised of fire or electricity. Also those that resemble fire or the sun or which are controlled by or strongly tied to the sun. For example, magma dragons are coated in magma, live in volcanic regions AND are capable of withstanding intense temperatures. Sunsongs control light AND are controlled by the light.

WATER - Dragons who control or are comprised of water in either it's liquid or solid state. Also those that live the entirety of their lives in the water. For example, ice dragons form icicles on their skin, and can freeze a predator with their cold breath.

LIFE - Dragons who rely on or are affected by a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds. Dragons who possess mana pertaining to magical, mental or spiritual control or consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds, or having a significant positive role in the world that is different from other breeds, or having a significant effect on a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds, including both positive and negative effects. For example, a qualifier can not be that the dragon depends on living in the trees alone. But Pumpkin dragons would qualify because they live specifically in pumpkins AND can only be bred during Harvest time.

Azure Glacewings

Dragon Description: Azure Glacewing Dragons are one of the largest breeds. They grow to overwhelming sizes; folklore tells of ancient dragons outgrowing even lakes and mountains. They are quite oblivious in nature, and rarely care for—or even notice—the presence of other, smaller creatures. When hungry, an Azure Glacewing might strike suddenly, securing a tasty snack. An adult Glacewing is often more commonly found in the sea than in the sky or on land, due to their enormous weight. However, come mating season, Azure Glacewings return to the forests in which they were born, so that the young have lots of game to feed on.

Additional Info: Didn't see any

Yes:

No: Fiona, Cathie, Lavinia, Xocowolf, Silver, Lastalda

Fell Dragons

Dragon Description: Fell Dragons are a primitive, fractious breed. They are born small but grow astonishingly quickly throughout their adolescence, and constant hunger inspires them to eat nearly anything that can be made to fit into their mouths. Legend has it that they never completely stop growing at all. Adult Fell Dragons are massive juggernauts: a diet rich in minerals and metals harvested from the earth helps them grow a dense, scaly carapace along their backs and toughens their thick hides, while their wickedly sharp claws and the bony, ax-like crest on their heads are well-suited for both hunting and physical combat. Though few Fell Dragons have crossed paths in the wild due to their primarily solitary nature, it is said that their thunderous disputes can be heard—and felt—for miles around.

Additional Info:

- Fell Dragons have quite inauspicious beginnings: from a dense, nearly human-sized egg, a hatchling emerges weighing less than 10 kilograms. They are born hungry, however, and grow frighteningly quickly as they feed. Within weeks, a Fell hatchling will have outgrown its egg with no signs of slowing down. Once it reaches sexual maturity after a few short years, it weighs over 10 tonnes, and will continue to grow - if more slowly - as it ages.

- In order to sustain its rampant growth, the Fell Dragon has adapted to consume just about everything: meat, plants, wood, even metal and stone. Its stomach acid is laced with death mana and perilously corrosive, capable of dissolving nearly anything it touches.

- A Fell Dragon has 2 pairs of eyes: a forward-facing primary pair and a diminished, side-facing secondary pair which expands the creature's field of vision without the need for turning its head to look around.

- Fell Dragons are believed to be a scourge upon the face of Valkemare, sowing destruction in their wake. The most ancient of their kind are called Calamities, a rare and terrifying sight to behold. Even in death these monsters are capable of rewriting the face of a landscape: once the acid within a Fell carcass eats through the decaying lining of its stomach, it spills out and carves a shallow basin around the carcass, scorching the earth of growing things. The acrid mire left behind is known as a fell pit, and naught but the hardiest and most unpalatable of vegetation will grow there for generations afterward.

- The dense hide and armored carapace of a fell dragon are inherently resistant to the effects of magic. All but the most powerful spells are simply absorbed or deflected. Open wounds, of course, are suitable weak points, but pain tends merely to enrage the beasts.

- Fell Dragons are not very bright, but if raised from the egg they can form lasting bonds with human caregivers. It goes without saying, however, that they make exceedingly poor pets.

Trivia:

- Fell Dragons are based off of aspects of several different Kaiju from Pacific Rim, namely Tresspasser, Mutavore, and Otachi. Their base physiology and behavior, however, are more inspired by the bear and rhinoceros

- The adult sprites are lovingly nicknamed Charlie and Sandra - just because.

- The Fell Dragon first came about in 2013, but I redid the sprites in 2015.

(Found on the DragonCave Wiki)

Yes: Xocowolf (Life, Earth)

No: Fiona, Lastalda, Cathie

Undecided: Lavinia, Silver

Honey Drakes

Drake Description: Honey Drakes are small, energetic creatures that feed almost exclusively on flower nectar, honey, and insects. The myriad scales covering their bodies protect them from the stings of angry bees as they feed from hives, though these dexterous and wily drakes rarely need the protection. Though notably silent most of the time, Honey Drakes are capable of producing a purr-like thrum that seems to calm bees down, and their ravenous appetite for nectar results in a free meal for the hive, harvested from the drakes’ own scales.

Additional Info:

I don't have anything to elaborate on about the Honey Drake concept, actually. You see...the honey drake was recycled.

Back in 2014, I was having second thoughts about the Gemshards, so I redid the sprites from scratch and added a fourth possible color (citrine). The original Gemshard sprites ended up being favored for release, so shelved the revamped versions as experience points. I really, really liked the citrine variant, though, and decided about a year later that I would dust it off and make the necessary edits to turn it into something usable.

I gave it wings and edited out the more Gemshard-esque features, deciding that they might make rather interesting eastern-inspired drakes. The concept of them as honey thieves was based almost entirely on their color. They almost became Amber drakes instead!

About the breed, I can say that when I call them small, I see them quite squarely on the small end of drake species. They feed almost exclusively on nectar and honey, and serve as highly effective pollinators since they can travel a fair bit farther in a short time than any insect.

I always imagined honey drakes to behave a bit like feral cat communities, where they go out foraging on their own but passively gather to enjoy the benefits of mutual grooming and play. They're very shy with other species, though, so they would probably vanish into the trees like squirrels at the first sign of trouble.

(Found on the DragonCave Wiki)

Yes: Xocowolf (Life)

No: Lastalda, Cathie

Undecided: Fiona, Lavinia, Silver

Christmas 2016 Dragons (Snow Dragons)

Dragon Description: Holiday dragons are a very mysterious breed. They are only seen during winter, and even then it is hard to catch a glimpse of one. They are responsible for the general cheer that spreads during the holidays. In essence, they are the “Spirits of Winter.”

Additional Info: Snow Dragons have a tendency towards being playful and caring towards others but their personalities differ a little depending on the dragon. (Found on the DragonCave Wiki, no indication of who said it.)

Yes:

No:

(At this early time all votes are subject to change, I simply recorded what I saw as best I could. Please post here or PM me with any changes, I might not be around much because work is getting crazier but I'll try to pop in once a day or so.)

Edited by silver_chan

On the Fell Dragons: change my vote to YES. I don't know if they should be in Life or Earth but I'm leaning towards the latter since they powerfully influence Earth, in life or death.

A soft Yes to the Honeydrakes in Life. They pollinate faster than natural insects.

Christmas designs: Snow would fit well in Water, or Air (naturally) but I'd like to know more.

First of all, Happy New Year!!!

Onto voting.

Azure Glacewings - Still No

Fell Dragons - Change to No

Honey Drakes - As much as I love them, I have to vote No

Snow Dragons - I'd like moe information before I decide.

Everything has been changed. I'm still trying to decide what way I myself want to vote, and yeah. We really don't know anything about the Snow dragons, so I can't even begin to vote for them...

Slightly off-topic:

There's a lady who makes wonderful body puppets and she just made a lovely video about a Snow Dragon puppet she made.

Can I have permission to post a link to it here?

Edited by Xocowolf

Xenowyrms: I have a 2nd gen that is different from its parent, so that much is definitely possible.

However, I'm struggling massively to get the same effect for the next gen - and thinking of the generations to come kinda overwhelms me (because the pool of not-yet-used Xenos becomes smaller with every generation, and also the mate will become more common, too (since the commons tend to win in a Leeloo), so the likelihood of getting any Xeno offspring decreases)... xd.png

Has anyone seen the non-parent-Xeno-effect in a 3rd+ gen anywhere? The Wiki is not quite clear whether bred eggs fall into the "Non-Xeno (Cave)" scenario, which is what we assumed...

If getting a different-from-parent Xeno from a bred non-xeno parent is impossible, we have to respecify the Leeloo!

I just picked up an egg in the AP which answers this question: Pyro Egg. As you can see this is a fourth gen with all Xenos in the lineage. I bet it's going to be a lot harder to get this if you don't have Xeno parents... maybe try to get a Silver or Gold line going to breed with them in the 4th or 5th gen? Idk.

Slightly off-topic:

There's a lady who makes wonderful body puppets and she just made a lovely video about a Snow Dragon puppet she made.

Can I have permission to post a link to it here?

I saw that on facebook and was totally blown out of the water!

And Silver-chan. If you look in the siblings of you egg, you get this: Pink!

Edited by Grandmother_cathie

I just picked up an egg in the AP which answers this question: Pyro Egg. As you can see this is a fourth gen with all Xenos in the lineage. I bet it's going to be a lot harder to get this if you don't have Xeno parents... maybe try to get a Silver or Gold line going to breed with them in the 4th or 5th gen? Idk.

Actually, it doesn't. Xeno x Xeno breeding at any gen is known for sure to always be able to produce any of the 6 types, with the parents' type(s) much more likely than the rest. With a Leeloo, we have to breed Xeno x lineaged non-Xeno.

Actually, it doesn't. Xeno x Xeno breeding at any gen is known for sure to always be able to produce any of the 6 types, with the parents' type(s) much more likely than the rest. With a Leeloo, we have to breed Xeno x lineaged non-Xeno.

Oh, darn. I completely forgot that Leeloos have that weird rule... oh well! I guess we'll have to keep trying to breed them, and hoping.