The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element Lineage

Far and away one of the most enigmatic of dragon breeds, the Sinomorph is shrouded in near-complete mystery. While the exact conditions that herald its arrival are not certain, it is said to only appear when called upon by all six Zyumorphs. Record of its existence may be limited to folklore and ancient legends, but recent sightings seem to suggest this storybook behemoth may truly walk the lands of Valkemare. If the stories of the past are to be trusted, its appearance serves as a beacon of light in the face of looming calamity.

The Zyumorphs do indeed have a summon ability, which results in a Sinomorph if successful. The Sinomorph appears as an adult on your scroll.

So, for one thing I think Life fits these guys very well as they not only have the characteristics of protectors of others and champions of justice but they can, together, call forth a powerful adult dragon to avert global catastrophe! I vote Yes in Life for the set - all 6 Zyumorphs plus the Sinomorph.

Sinomorphs are breedable, by the way, though it appears they don't breed more Sinomorphs. I don't know the breeding pattern for Zyumorphs yet.

I agree with 'yes' in Life for all seven, for the reasons stated--the uniqueness of the Sinomorph springing forth full-grown from nothingness, and the unique power of the six dragons that summon it, definitely feels like it belongs in this lineage and Life in particular.

I have done a little experimental breeing with the Zyus I have full-grown on my scroll, so far none of them have produced an egg of a color that didn't match one of its Zyu parents, but I'll keep trying. More for the AP anyway, I'm sure people will be happy about that lol.

I support these seven for Life, especially with the protective nature and how they come together to summon a Sinomorph.

Here's an interesting question: Do we count these guys as one dragon, or six? Sinomorphs are obviously a separate dragon, but despite the fact that these guys are all different types of dragon and (so far) seem to breed true to their own color, they share a name and a description. Differentiating them by color would be easiest of course, but would that be too clunky? I feel like calling them all 'Zyumorphs' and counting them as one type of dragon would be too confusing, however.

Thoughts?

Because they don't appear able to breed the other colors I was considering them as separate. I agree it's a little clunky calling them by "Zyumorph - color" or whatever but that is sort of how we do Prizes.

Because they don't appear able to breed the other colors I was considering them as separate. I agree it's a little clunky calling them by "Zyumorph - color" or whatever but that is sort of how we do Prizes.

...true, now that I think of it we do it with Ridgewings, too. So, (Color) Zyumorph, or Zyumorph - (Color)? I'm leaning toward the first one myself.

Color - Zyumorph is actually more consistent with Prizes, et al, right? I vote for that.

Color - Zyumorph is consistent with what we do with Prizes, Ridgewings, Two-Headed Lindwurm, Xenowyrm, and Lunars. I go with that.

But we don't differentiate with Fire Gems or Nebulas.

Edited by Grandmother_cathie

A few years ago when we wanted a consistent rubric to know when to count a breed as one or multiple types, we decided on the following criteria: count as separate if the two have "different egg sprites or different adult descriptions."

Therefore, both the Zyus and the Fire Gems should be counted as multiple types.

Color - Zyumorph is consistent with what we do with Prizes, Ridgewings, Two-Headed Lindwurm, Xenowyrm, and Lunars.  I go with that. 

But we don't differentiate with Fire Gems or Nebulas.

We used to differentiate Nebulas, greens and reds used to be alts. We eventually voted to just count them as one type of dragon for... reasons? I'm not sure, I guess they didn't fit the rubric. Personally I'm kind of glad we just lump them all together, since I used to have the weirdest trouble remembering which were the alts.

Anyway, I'd be happy to count the Fire Gems as three separate dragons as well, since they fit the rubric. Also especially since we've already been talking about breeding them from each other for the All-Inclusive.

ETA: Ok, I have fixed it so that the Fire Gems are three different dragons. Let me know if there is a way to make it look better!

On that note, I noticed that our ways of grouping the dragons that are like this are a little inconsistent. Lunar Heralds and Ridgewings are sorted by their species name first and colors second, while Coppers and Two-Headed Lindwurms are sorted by color first. Do we want that to be more consistent? I'd like them all to be sorted by species name, myself. (I mean this is just the guidelines at the top of the lineage, but it's still a good thing to keep pretty consistent, I think)

Edited by silver_chan

I agree with Yes in Life for Zyumorphs and Sinomorphs (even if the names are a headache xd.png).

And yes, they should be 7 individual breeds.

As for the order - actually, I'd prefer them ordered by species, and definitely think they should be consistent. I tried to keep it consistent with the original order (which was listing them by breed name start including the trait, not by species), and that looks neater as a list, but I do find it more confusing. xd.png

So if we have a majority to list them by breed, I would very much like this. smile.gif

I'm in favor of consistency. Breed name first is easier for me.

Opening the voting poll on April and Birthday Dragons!

All members are welcome to vote, but please read the following definitions carefully. Ideally we would like a breed to have 2-3 distinct characteristics to qualify for an Elemental category, so if giving a YES vote please state your reasoning along with it. You may not compare a new release to an already eligible breed. They must be voted in on their own merit.

EARTH - Dragons comprised of, resembling, or able to control rock, metal, and/or dirt, POSSIBLY residing in the earth. For example, a stone dragon is made of stone-like material AND eats rocks. Green dragons live within the caves AND have control over the earth.

WIND - Dragons comprised of gas or with a strong connection to weather or the cosmos. POSSIBLY those that spend a majority of their time in the air. For example, grey dragons land only to rest and eat AND they have control of the weather. Thunder dragons land only to sleep and breed. They get moisture from the clouds and control the weather.

FIRE - Dragons who control or are comprised of fire or electricity. Also those that resemble fire or the sun or which are controlled by or strongly tied to the sun. For example, magma dragons are coated in magma, live in volcanic regions AND are capable of withstanding intense temperatures. Sunsongs control light AND are controlled by the light.

WATER - Dragons who control or are comprised of water in either it's liquid or solid state. Also those that live the entirety of their lives in the water. For example, ice dragons form icicles on their skin, and can freeze a predator with their cold breath.

LIFE - Dragons who rely on or are affected by a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds. Dragons who possess mana pertaining to magical, mental or spiritual control or consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds, or having a significant positive role in the world that is different from other breeds, or having a significant effect on a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds, including both positive and negative effects. For example, a qualifier can not be that the dragon depends on living in the trees alone. But Pumpkin dragons would qualify because they live specifically in pumpkins AND can only be bred during Harvest time.

Scimitar-wing Wyverns

Scimitar-wing Wyverns are a small breed, eating mainly birds and small vertebrates; as such, they lack the large teeth and heavy claws of their larger cousins. They are far from defenseless, however, and are named for the blade-like growth that forms over the first digit of their wings. The wyverns use these blades to defend themselves from any attacker. Their blades are quite strong and can cut through almost any scale or hide.

Additional Info: None that I saw.

Yes:

No: Silver_chan, Lavinia, Fiona, SnowyIcefall, Lastalda, Cathie

Sinii Krai Dragon

Sinii Krai Dragons are known for their love of fish and their strong personalities. They are able to travel both in the air and in the water with their unique tails. They live on the coast in groups of ten or more and are fiercely territorial. Sinii Krai Dragons are nearly impossible to tame if not obtained at an early age. Great care must be taken around them as their skin is highly poisonous after maturity.

Additional Info: Nothing that seemed relevant for this lineage.

Yes:

No: Silver_chan, Lavinia, Fiona, SnowyIcefall, Lastalda, Cathie

Zyumorph Dragon

Perhaps among the most venerated of dragon breeds is the Zyumorph, a breed whose selfless heroism and strong moral compass are nearly unparalleled by other dragons. Zyumorphs have an innate urge to fend off wrongdoing, and as such, are often sought after in times of peril. Although they are independently quite capable fighters, it is said that their true might is not unlocked until all six Zyumorphs are brought together in times of great duress.

Additional Info: I figure we should count this as all or none, just like we did with the Xenowyrms, so there will be only one voting slot instead of six. Also that's easier for me, heh.

-They summon a unique, never-before-seen dragon.

-You need all six to summon said dragon.

-An innate urge to fend off wrongdoing

Yes: Silver_chan (Life), Fiona (Life), Cathie (Life), Lavinia (Life), Lastalda (Life)

No:

Sinomorph Dragon

Far and away one of the most enigmatic of dragon breeds, the Sinomorph is shrouded in near-complete mystery. While the exact conditions that herald its arrival are not certain, it is said to only appear when called upon by all six Zyumorphs. Record of its existence may be limited to folklore and ancient legends, but recent sightings seem to suggest this storybook behemoth may truly walk the lands of Valkemare. If the stories of the past are to be trusted, its appearance serves as a beacon of light in the face of looming calamity.

Additional Info:

-Summoned in times of great need

-Have no egg or hatchling stages

-Summoned through a great magical working involving six other dragons

Yes: Silver_chan (Life), Fiona (Life), Cathie (Life), Lavinia (Life), Lastalda (Life)

No:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steering the conversation away a little, I'd like further input about the order we currently organize the dragons with. Right now the order of the naming (aka, color/trait then species, i.e. Pyrope Pyralspite and Gold Lunar Herald) is consistent, but the order we then put them in is not. The Pyralspites and Xenowyrms are scattered throughout their category, sorted by their type name, while the Lunar Heralds and Ridgewings are sorted by their species name. It's been kind of bothering me for a while now, do we want to make things more consistent by sorting by species? Because I'd like that, but I was hoping to get some more views on it before I 'fixed' anything to my liking. I also see some people talking about changing it to be more like... idk, 'Xenowyrm (Astrapi)'. I would also be happy with that tbh.

Let me know what you think!

-Silver

Edited by The Fifth Element

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steering the conversation away a little, I'd like further input about the order we currently organize the dragons with. Right now the order of the naming (aka, color/trait then species, i.e. Pyrope Pyralspite and Gold Lunar Herald) is consistent, but the order we then put them in is not. The Pyralspites and Xenowyrms are scattered throughout their category, sorted by their type name, while the Lunar Heralds and Ridgewings are sorted by their species name. It's been kind of bothering me for a while now, do we want to make things more consistent by sorting by species? Because I'd like that, but I was hoping to get some more views on it before I 'fixed' anything to my liking. I also see some people talking about changing it to be more like... idk, 'Xenowyrm (Astrapi)'. I would also be happy with that tbh.

Let me know what you think!

-Silver

You've got all the votes for me correct. Thanks!!!

As far as naming, as long as it's consistent, I don't care.

Happy Summer!

Much as I'd like Xenowyrm (Astrapi), I'm afraid we can do this on the first page but NOT on the spreadsheets. Because changing the name son the Spreadsheets means all the counters of everyone get broken. (Meaning that dragons registered as "Astrapi Xenowyrm" will not be counted for "Xenowyrm(Astrapi)".) sad.gif

For the front page I'm fine with either "Astrapi Xenowyrm" or "Xenowyrm (Astrapi)" as long as it gets sorted under "X". wink.gif

Much as I'd like Xenowyrm (Astrapi), I'm afraid we can do this on the first page but NOT on the spreadsheets. Because changing the name son the Spreadsheets means all the counters of everyone get broken. (Meaning that dragons registered as "Astrapi Xenowyrm" will not be counted for "Xenowyrm(Astrapi)".) sad.gif

For the front page I'm fine with either "Astrapi Xenowyrm" or "Xenowyrm (Astrapi)" as long as it gets sorted under "X". wink.gif

Well that settles that quite nicely. No broken counters, please.

It appears that we may have 3 new Elemental eggs coming our way based on parentage. The new eggs for this month are all three hybrids.

Spoiler:

The "bright egg shines in the morning sunlight" is a Sunsong and a Sunrise Dragon.

The "bright egg shines in the evening sunlight" is a Sunsong and a Sunset Dragon.

The "tiny egg is cold to the touch." is a Crimson Flare and a Nilia Pygmy.

All Elementals!

Looks like I'm going to have to adjust the all-inclusive again. Lol.

TJ's dragons grew up. They are LOVELY!!!!

user posted image

Setsong Dragons wake with the setting of the sun. They can be found hunting during the night, only to vanish into their lairs once the sun begins to rise. Their glossy feathers and scales are a deep purple, but the evening sunlight reflects off of their bodies in a beautiful red-gold shimmer. Setsongs are reclusive dragons, found alone or in small groups, and are fiercely territorial--and loyal, protecting their hatchlings and group just as stubbornly as their hunting grounds. These dragons have a respectable ability to weave magic, but only once the sun has started to set: the daylight weakens their magical powers, and their spells are most potent at night.

user posted image

Risensong Dragons wake with the rising of the sun. They can be found hunting during the day, only to vanish into their lairs once the sun begins to set. Their glossy feathers and scales are a deep pink, but the morning sunlight reflects off of their bodies in a beautiful light gold shimmer. Risensongs are social dragons, found in small to medium-sized groups, and are relatively approachable dragons that make little effort to secure the bounds of their territory. These dragons have a respectable ability to weave magic, but only once the sun has started to rise: the darkness weakens their magical powers, and their spells are most potent during the day.

user posted imageuser posted image

Dusk Pygmies, as their name may suggest, are crepuscular dragons. When the sun sets, they are most active and are commonly seen darting across the sky, the fading sunlight catching and reflecting off of their wings in brilliant patterns. Living in small, tight-knit groups, these pygmies spend many of their waking hours stretching their wings by fetching food for group members. The young, elderly, disabled, and injured are all diligently and lovingly cared for by all of the group. Though rather intelligent, they are easily distracted. Some Dusk Pygmies are prone to hoarding objects that may distract them; others may return late to their roost late after most of their other group members are already sleeping.

I have assumed that as all the parents of these new breeds are elemental, that the new breeds would be as well. Both Sunsongs and Suns are Fire, so I am assuming that Risensongs and Setsongs will be in Fire as well. Dusks I'd say fit best in Fire too, with their Crimson Flare parents, as the descriptions for the breed talk about their fire properties more than earth.

If our Fearless Leaders think arguments need to be made apart from their parentage I can list some. For what it's worth, too, Setsongs and Risensongs are considered one breed in the encyclopedia. Suns are one breed, so I guess that makes sense.

As for the Setsongs and Risensongs in the All-Inclusive, it's not possible to have both it seems, as it doesn't look like they'll breed the other form. We won't know for sure one way or the other until we have adults and can breed them though. I'll update the spreadsheet soon but right now I'm thinking to include both Sunsets and Sunrises, plus either Setsong or Risensong, one would need to breed one Sun egg, hatch it as the opposite of its parent, then breed that 2nd gen to a 2nd gen Sunsong, to produce a 3rd gen Set or Risensong.

---

Also, I'm with Cathie on how we list things. If it makes more work for Lastalda then I think we shouldn't do it.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

Shoot, new dragons already??! Oh jeez, I feel so behind, sorry guys!

Uh, I guess everyone's voted that's going to? If there's any issue with this tell me and I'll either delete this comment or fix it, but...

Closing the vote on April and Birthday dragons

We will be accepting the Zyumorph and Sinomorph dragons into LIFE!

We will not be accepting the Scimitar-Wing and Sinii Krai dragons at this time.

Also if everyone's fine with the way the dragons are counted now, I won't change it. I certainly don't want to make any work for Lastalda.

-Silver

As for the new dragons, I agree with Fiona's reasoning. Three new dragons for the Fire category! They look really neat, too.

Oh noez - that'll wrack havoc with my All-Inclusive Leeloo! It'll break the only 5th gen I have so far... *goes to cry in a corner*

Whining aside, I'm in favour of accepting all three in Fire based on their parentage and their ties to the sun (although those seem rather tentative for Dusk Pygmies).

I'd say, finish your All-Inclusive as you have it already. That's a lot of work to have to redo. I hadn't gotten all my 2nd gens yet, since Xenos... *glare* so it's been only slightly crazy to edit my plan to include the Risen and Setsongs. Plus I discovered that Storm Riders somehow hadn't made it into the plan, so I needed to edit anyway. I don't have a lot of wiggle room left in my plan anymore, but I did manage to get everything in, I think. I only had one 2nd gen that I'd bred that doesn't fit anymore.