The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element Lineage

I'll leave this open until Friday I think. So far I haven't seen anything that argues to me that anyone really thinks they're elemental, but I want to give everyone a chance to vote... but Halloween is coming and we have to get ready for that!

Also voting no on both September release dragons.

Crossing my fingers for a new elemental Halloween dragon!

ETA: The front page has Bolts under Life and the spreadsheet has Bolts under Fire. One of them probably should be changed. wink.gif

Edited by Lavinia

Closing the voting on September dragons!

Neither of them will be accepted into the lineage.

Thank you everyone who voted! Now we just have to get ready for Halloween... I hope this year will be a good one!

If anyone needs 2nd gen Halloweens of any kind, just shoot me a PM. I have had zero requests so far for this year and have a large breeding pool available. smile.gif

I don't want anything in trade, just good homes for the eggs. smile.gif

Edited by Lastalda

If anyone needs 2nd gen Halloweens of any kind, just shoot me a PM. I have had zero requests so far for this year and have a large breeding pool available. smile.gif

I don't want anything in trade, just good homes for the eggs. smile.gif

I'm not part of this project, but I was told about asking for PB pumpkins here. I have been working on PB pumpkins for years and would like to help anyone looking for them as well.

Besides which, didn't we promise you some PB pumpkins in exchange for something awhile ago?

I have a note to that effect but didn't write down the full exchange. Or how many.

I haven't bred my pumpkins yet, so I'll be sending a few your way soonish.

Bred my CB and 2nd gen PB pumpkins. I still have most of my Shadow Walkers available. I'm open to people asking for eggs. I've also got pretty much everything else still available. Chances are good on those that if no one asks they won't get bred so feel free.

Besides which, didn't we promise you some PB pumpkins in exchange for something awhile ago?

I have a note to that effect but didn't write down the full exchange. Or how many.

I haven't bred my pumpkins yet, so I'll be sending a few your way soonish.

I honestly don't remember. Though I've decided to keep the third gen you sent since I'll need an unrelated second gen for the one I have and a third gen is just one step I don't have to do. I'll unhide my adults tonight and if there's anything anyone needs let me know or I'll unhide them if peopel are interested.

I have a spare coast-born of the new Halloweens, free to any member. First come, first served. ;-)

(I don't want to end up with an uneven number, and I honestly don't have the headspace for trading these days.)

Please indicate which gender you want, so I can influence & incu-hatch it.

(I will edit here once it's been claimed. If noone claims it until tomorrow, it's going to Fiona.)

Edited by Lastalda

TJ's dragons have started to grow!

Witchlight Dragons are silent, secretive beasts that haunt the most remote corners of the wilderness. They beguile their unsuspecting prey into peril by assaulting their perceptions of reality and stoking the fires of paranoia with masterfully-conjured illusions. Unwary travelers have been led astray by the soft, inviting glow of their eyes amidst a sea of encroaching darkness, never to be seen again. Those that survive a Witchlight Dragon’s psychic onslaughts do not escape unchanged: some believe that the apparitions these dragons summon to tempt or torment their victims awaken them to hidden truths about themselves.

It's hard to say for sure if they're Elemental or not, but those fear-illusions certainly seem pretty magical to me!

i may have a few spares if anyone needs to make pairs, will know more in a day or so still have a lot to come in from trades:D

Will o' wisp psychic dragons? I'm sure Odeen will post more information about them soonish.

And I think I'm going to end up with 11 of these, so either need to give one away or add another. 11 is just... not ok.

Quote: (Odeen @ Nov 3 2016, 09:58 AM):

user posted image

- Witchlight dragons are consummate opportunists, subsisting quite well on carrion when no fresh prey is available to them. Their strong digestive systems allow them to consume even rancid meat with confidence, and they will eat every digestible part of a kill - including the bones. Because of this, the victims of Witchlight predation have often been said to vanish into thin air.

- These nocturnal hunters have adapted to a lifestyle of stealth. The soft feathers coating their bodies muffles the sound of their movements, and they are not known to growl or roar at all. A Witchlight will huff or snap its jaws together when excited or irritated, but will otherwise remain eerily silent.

- A Witchlight dragon's illusions will tailor themselves to the unique fears and comforts of individual prey, presumably by playing off their own perceptions and weaponizing them. Some may be lured into oblivion by fantasies of warmth and safety, while others will be taunted with manifestations of their own paranoia and insecurity. Whichever form the magic takes, a Witchlight will not strike down its prey until their resolve is thoroughly broken.

- While Witchlight dragons are perfectly capable fliers, they hunt on foot and reserve flight mainly for the practical matter of traveling. The exposed leather of their wings makes too much noise in motion to be useful for stalking and ambush.

- The glow of a Witchlight's eyes and markings has an inherent alluring quality to it. They are capable of controlling the extent to which their eyes and markings glow, and use those in conjunction with their illusions to lure prey. However, they cannot control their own glow while they sleep: in order to remain hidden in their bramble-thicket nests and prevent their glow from attracting unwanted attention, they will wrap their wings tightly against their sides and tuck their heads under the sheltering darkness of their wings.

- Witchlights are solitary but not necessarily ornery. They make doting, attentive parents and will visit members of their families long after they've grown and established their own hunting grounds. Mother Witchlights will meticulously coat their newly-laid eggs with downy feathers preened from their own bodies in order to keep them warm and protected from the elements.

- It was once said by a particularly fortunate traveler that Witchlight dragons enjoy scritches, but few have dared to test that claim.

I like the sound of this dragon. They'd be a good fit in Life, don't you think?

Their hallucinogenic abilities are the main reason I'd place them there, along with their good parenting skills and strong family ties.

Edited by Xocowolf

I like the sound of this dragon. They'd be a good fit in Life, don't you think?

Their hallucinogenic abilities are the main reason I'd place them there, along with their good parenting skills and strong family ties.

I think that the unique ability to tailor hallucinations to lure in prey is a pretty good argument for Life, especially if you take into account how they can go for either terror or comfort. Is there any word on how they figure out what their prey loves or is afraid of? Are they a little psychic or something? I just want as much info as possible, since even with the hallucinations and the ability to control how much their spots glow, that's only two things. Three is ideal.

I would love to accept these dragons into the lineage, I'm just not sure they've got enough to be Elemental.

Well, let's see. Hypnotic eyes? That's one.

Illusions, that's two. Add that the illusions are controlled and tailored to the prey. That's like 2 1/2.

And they aren't content to merely hunt their prey. So either they feed off fear to some degree (would explain why they terrorize before killing) or some other reason for the psychological warfare. I think that's pretty unique and also falls under life. So in my book that's 3 1/2.

Did Odeen actually say these are somewhat based on will 'o wisps or did I imagine that? Will 'o wisps are essentially magical creatures.

I like it.

I'll probably set up a voting thing in the next day pr sp (I'm sneaking on at work right now, sshhh)

Opening the voting poll on the Halloween dragon!

All members are welcome to vote, but please read the following definitions carefully. Ideally we would like a breed to have 2-3 distinct characteristics to qualify for an Elemental category, so if giving a YES vote please state your reasoning along with it. You may not compare a new release to an already eligible breed. They must be voted in on their own merit.

EARTH - Dragons comprised of, resembling, or able to control rock, metal, and/or dirt, POSSIBLY residing in the earth. For example, a stone dragon is made of stone-like material AND eats rocks. Green dragons live within the caves AND have control over the earth.

WIND - Dragons comprised of gas or with a strong connection to weather or the cosmos. POSSIBLY those that spend a majority of their time in the air. For example, grey dragons land only to rest and eat AND they have control of the weather. Thunder dragons land only to sleep and breed. They get moisture from the clouds and control the weather.

FIRE - Dragons who control or are comprised of fire or electricity. Also those that resemble fire or the sun or which are controlled by or strongly tied to the sun. For example, magma dragons are coated in magma, live in volcanic regions AND are capable of withstanding intense temperatures. Sunsongs control light AND are controlled by the light.

WATER - Dragons who control or are comprised of water in either it's liquid or solid state. Also those that live the entirety of their lives in the water. For example, ice dragons form icicles on their skin, and can freeze a predator with their cold breath.

LIFE - Dragons who rely on or are affected by a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds. Dragons who possess mana pertaining to magical, mental or spiritual control or consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds, or having a significant positive role in the world that is different from other breeds, or having a significant effect on a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds, including both positive and negative effects. For example, a qualifier can not be that the dragon depends on living in the trees alone. But Pumpkin dragons would qualify because they live specifically in pumpkins AND can only be bred during Harvest time.

Witchlight Dragons

Dragon Descrption: Witchlight Dragons are silent, secretive beasts that haunt the most remote corners of the wilderness. They beguile their unsuspecting prey into peril by assaulting their perceptions of reality and stoking the fires of paranoia with masterfully-conjured illusions. Unwary travelers have been led astray by the soft, inviting glow of their eyes amidst a sea of encroaching darkness, never to be seen again. Those that survive a Witchlight Dragon’s psychic onslaughts do not escape unchanged: some believe that the apparitions these dragons summon to tempt or torment their victims awaken them to hidden truths about themselves.

Additional Info:

(Odeen @ Nov 3 2016, 09:58 AM)

- Witchlight dragons are consummate opportunists, subsisting quite well on carrion when no fresh prey is available to them. Their strong digestive systems allow them to consume even rancid meat with confidence, and they will eat every digestible part of a kill - including the bones. Because of this, the victims of Witchlight predation have often been said to vanish into thin air.

- These nocturnal hunters have adapted to a lifestyle of stealth. The soft feathers coating their bodies muffles the sound of their movements, and they are not known to growl or roar at all. A Witchlight will huff or snap its jaws together when excited or irritated, but will otherwise remain eerily silent.

- A Witchlight dragon's illusions will tailor themselves to the unique fears and comforts of individual prey, presumably by playing off their own perceptions and weaponizing them. Some may be lured into oblivion by fantasies of warmth and safety, while others will be taunted with manifestations of their own paranoia and insecurity. Whichever form the magic takes, a Witchlight will not strike down its prey until their resolve is thoroughly broken.

- While Witchlight dragons are perfectly capable fliers, they hunt on foot and reserve flight mainly for the practical matter of traveling. The exposed leather of their wings makes too much noise in motion to be useful for stalking and ambush.

- The glow of a Witchlight's eyes and markings has an inherent alluring quality to it. They are capable of controlling the extent to which their eyes and markings glow, and use those in conjunction with their illusions to lure prey. However, they cannot control their own glow while they sleep: in order to remain hidden in their bramble-thicket nests and prevent their glow from attracting unwanted attention, they will wrap their wings tightly against their sides and tuck their heads under the sheltering darkness of their wings.

- Witchlights are solitary but not necessarily ornery. They make doting, attentive parents and will visit members of their families long after they've grown and established their own hunting grounds. Mother Witchlights will meticulously coat their newly-laid eggs with downy feathers preened from their own bodies in order to keep them warm and protected from the elements.

- It was once said by a particularly fortunate traveler that Witchlight dragons enjoy scritches, but few have dared to test that claim.

Yes: Xocowolf (Life), Silver_chan (Life), Fiona, Lastalda (Life), Cathie (Life), Snowyicefall (Life)

No:

Edited by The Fifth Element

I agree with Fiona's reasoning. Yes in Life! smile.gif

Edited by Lastalda

Unless someone says no or has an objection to adding this dragon, I'll be closing the poll tomorrow.

Closing the voting on Halloween dragons!

We're accepting Witchlight Dragons into LIFE!

I will be adding them to the front page shortly, and please tell me if I've flubbed anything, lol.

--Silver

I'm not a fan of the witchlights but the reasoning is sound for adding them in life, so no objections here!

On other thread business... How hard is it to get a different Xenowyrm type from a breeding? I started trying in February for my All-Inclusive project and still no 2g Xenowyrm of a different type than its parent. (I have successfully gotten a 2g alt vine and a 2g alt undine for the Leeloo in that time.) Do I just have awful luck? Is there a trick to it (aside from having the CB mate being from a different biome than the CB Xenowyrm)? I'm also very worried about needing to do this not once but five times to get all Xenowyrm types in the Leeloo... that might take forever.

Milestone Earned!

FORUM NAME: Lavinia

MILESTONE EARNED: 2b: All Breeds in Category - Water

GIFT REQUESTED: CB Nebula (red preferred if fledged hatchling)

VERIFICATION: Spreadsheet

Milestone Earned!

MILESTONE EARNED: 2b: All Breeds in Category - Wind

GIFT REQUESTED: CB Nebula (red preferred if fledged hatchling)

Looks like I'm stuck for the other three categories (and also 5d - having registered at least one dragon of each routinely available breed). Is this correct? Fire I can eventually get once I have an elemental Hellhorse from Thuweds or (Winya). Life is out because my GoNs all have non-elemental names. Earth is out because I do not take Tinsels.

Milestone Earned!

MILESTONE EARNED: 3b: 50 Elements in Category - Earth

GIFT REQUESTED: CB Ice

Milestone Earned!

MILESTONE EARNED: 3b: 50 Elements in Category - Fire

Milestone Earned!

MILESTONE EARNED: 3b: 50 Elements in Category - Life

Milestone Earned!

MILESTONE EARNED: 3b: 50 Elements in Category - Water

Milestone Earned!

MILESTONE EARNED: 3b: 50 Elements in Category - Wind

Milestone Earned!

MILESTONE EARNED: 3c: 15 Elements of Breed - Grave

Milestone Earned!

MILESTONE EARNED: 3c: 15 Elements of Breed - Silver

GIFT REQUESTED: CB Ice (I'm all about consistency!)

Milestone Earned!

MILESTONE EARNED: 4a: 200 total Elements

GIFT REQUESTED: Alt Vine (male influence please)

Milestone Earned!

MILESTONE EARNED: 5a: 300 total Elements

GIFT REQUESTED: CB Gaia Xeno

By the way, the front page still does not list Thalassa Xenowyrms as elemental.