Dr. Paine

Description comments

Well, here's my descriptions... I haven't done many, partly because it takes me a while to come up with a good idea and partly because with the backlog of descrips I hear about, it almost seems pointless just to throw another on the pile. But here they are, anyway.

Reaching Glimmer, female red Copper:

Reaching Glimmer is the oldest Copper Dragon in her clan, and is viewed with great affection by all its members. In common with most of her breed, she has a strong sense of family, and in addition to producing her own large brood of children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, acts as a caretaker and foster mother to all the clan's eggs and hatchlings. When not caring for young, she spends most of her time either flying or bonding with her mate, Ofae, a handsome Gold Dragon.

(This was the first description I wrote, so I wasn't particularly creative with it.)

Comments:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: Not bad. smile.gif ~D

---

Albus Ghost, male Albino:

Albus is by far the oldest dragon in the clan, and became its leader mostly because of that fact. Despite his position, he does not enjoy spending time with other dragons, and is generally viewed as aloof or even haughty. He can usually be found relaxing on a rocky outcrop by a lake near the clan cave, often accompanied by his son Sehbeny, who seems to be the only dragon with whom Albus shares any kind of bond. Rumour has it that Albus's mate was a Shallow Water Dragon who once migrated to that very lake, and that he spends so much time there because he is waiting for her to return.

Comments:

Accept:

Accept: Nice job. smile.gif ~D

Accept:

---

Hunter's Risk, male bronze Shimmer-scale:

No-one truly knows this dragon's origins - he was found as an egg by one of the clan's hunting parties, washed up on a riverbank. Taken in by the clan egg-caretaker, Reaching Glimmer, it was initially thought that the egg would not hatch, as it took longer than usual to begin cracking. Thus, the young dragon was named "Hunter's Risk", after the hunters who found him and the fear for his life which his adoptive clan endured. Even after hatching, he remained small and underdeveloped, not showing signs of maturation until long after his nestmates were already grown. His long childhood and teasing from other young dragons left Risk shy and introspective, but he is also optimistic, and very loving to those close to him. Soon after maturing he sired one egg with a young Speckle-Throat female, but has since found a life-mate in the Copper female Golden Verdigris, with whom he has begun what seems set to be a large family.

Comments:

Accept:

Accept: Nice! ~PG

Accept: Good job! ~D

Accept: Very nice backstory! -Jay

Accept: EDIT: "but he is also optimistic and very loving..." Otherwise, I love it. smile.gif

---

Z'Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway, female Nhiostrife:

"Cold", as she is usually known, spends most of her time near the summits of the mountains in which her egg was found, and, as her name suggests, loves all kinds of cold weather. Whenever a snowstorm strikes, Cold will be out flying in it, generally returning to the clan cave with icicles on the fringes of her wings. Due to this practice, she is excellent at flying and navigating in adverse conditions, especially in low visibility. When she is not away from the cave, she will sometimes help out with the hatchlings' flying lessons - though she tends to forget that the babies are not as agile or speedy as she is!

Comments:

Accept: Nice smile.gif

Accept:

Accept: Very nice! ~D

Accept: *"Cold," as she is usually known - Very good. -CL

---

Let The Storm Rage On, male Nhiostrife:

Despite his name, Storm does not actually enjoy bad weather, as his fellow Nhiostrife, Cold, does. In fact, this wyvern is horribly afraid of thunder and lightning, and finds rain unpleasant at best. He is often regarded with amusement by the other dragons because of his fear, and some of the more outspoken individuals openly declare him a coward. Because of this he feels a strong need to prove himself in some way, and so he spends most of his day practising aerial acrobatics and flight dances in order to show off his agility - and perhaps also to charm a certain snow-loving female wyvern.

Comments:

Accept:

Accept: Nice job! ~PG

Accept:

Accept: *weather as ~D

Accept:

Accept: *glances at dragon's name, then its description, blinks* I really like this description--actually, to be more specific... WRITE MORE. NOW. That will be all. -

(Was really flattered by the last one! Not sure if it means I should add more to Storm's description, or write more descriptions, though.)

---

Milova Swornsword, female Guardian:

When young, Milova was keenly aware that as a Guardian dragon, she was expected to be tough and heroic. She would follow older dragons around, asking them to tell her stories about great battles and dragon warriors, thinking that the stories would teach her how to live up to her breed's reputation. Eventually, her human keeper bought a scroll containing accounts of famous heroes and began to read it to her. Inspired, Milova gave herself an appropriately heroic surname, "Swornsword", pledged allegiance to Albus, the clan's leader (who was rather confused by the whole business), and declared herself a knight, prepared to do great and noble deeds in the service of her clan.

As an adult, Milova is part of the clan's defence team. She is a brave fighter, but tends to exaggerate her own role in any battle. When at home, she is often found telling stories to hatchlings, passing on the tales that inspired her to a new generation.

Comments:

Accept: Brace yourself. Winter is coming. And mark my words - we will need warriors lik Milova, who are ready to fight for their family, their clan, their homeland! *** t.e.

Accept: Hehe, I didn't realize "defence" was British instead of "defense". Good thing I Googled it. smile.gif ~D

Accept: Very good. I didn't notice any mistakes. -CL

(First one... I can't decide if it confuses or amuses me or both! xd.png I'd certainly say it's the most interesting comment I've gotten so far!)

Comments:

Accept:

Accept: Nice job! ~PG

Accept:

Accept: *weather as ~D

Accept:

Accept: *glances at dragon's name, then its description, blinks* I really like this description--actually, to be more specific... WRITE MORE. NOW. That will be all. -

(Was really flattered by the last one! Not sure if it means I should add more to Storm's description, or write more descriptions, though.)

LOL, I'm pretty sure that last one was mine. Also, the Frozen references in the names <3 (I'm not imagining them, am I? xd.png) And, yay! Now I can read more of your descriptions. :3

LOL, I'm pretty sure that last one was mine. Also, the Frozen references in the names <3 (I'm not imagining them, am I? xd.png) And, yay! Now I can read more of your descriptions. :3

The Frozen references were entirely intentional. smile.gif And thank you again for the lovely comment, it's nice to know who it was!

So you took that name! laugh.gif

There Is No Tyler Durden watches plays performed by dragons as well as humans, then loudly divulges the twists or endings to everybody who hasn't watched them but plans to. Most of them can only be frustrated, since they also know she's a vicious, hellish dragon who can easily be much nastier than just spoiling them.

Accept: The trick is to misinform her of the titles and have a different play being performed after her watching thereof. Nicely done! ~X

Aaah, you made me smile. Dummy plays.

Bosnia and Herzegovina have a friend, also a dragon with two heads, named Saint Kitts and Nevis. They have all begun collecting items, but what they are and the number of items differ. Nevis has collected 75. Herzegovina's collection is smaller than the collection of animal skulls. Bosnia's collection contains 15 more items than the figurines, and the coin collection has 15 more items than the animal skulls collection. The collection with 60 pieces is either the animal skulls or the one belonging to Saint Kitts. The crown collection is larger than the figurine collection. These two fellows are the typical "weirdo" bloodscale dragons that other dragons avoid.

Accept: Eep I hate math. xd.png ~D

Reject: I think it needs to sound less like a math question.

And that's why they typically consider bloodscales weird. tongue.gif (And it's completely solvable if you draw a grid. biggrin.gif)

Being a Cheese Dragon, Bertholdt Sevre doesn't have an applicable gender - but because he seems masculine, he refers to himself as a .. he. He's extremely cautious and constantly is on the lookout for other hungry, desperate dragons .. but not because he doesn't want them to eat him. He just needs a meal himself.

•Accept:

•Accept: OK smile.gif ~PG

•Accept:

•Accept: Not bad-H360

•Abstain: *as a he. *is constantly on *dragons... but ~D

•Accept: *Screams!* Don't hurt my babies!!!

•Accept:

•Accept: Excellent. I didn't need to edit anything. <3

The sixth one .. lol. biggrin.gif

•Accept:

•Accept: OK smile.gif ~PG

•Accept:

•Accept: Not bad-H360

•Abstain: *as a he. *is constantly on *dragons... but ~D

•Accept: *Screams!* Don't hurt my babies!!!

•Accept:

•Accept: Excellent. I didn't need to edit anything. <3

The sixth one .. lol. biggrin.gif

I have a question/clarification regarding punctuation. I'm not good with this technical stuff. >.<

I wasn't descriptive in my comment even though I should have been, but I was thinking that those double periods should be either ellipses or removed altogether. I went with removal on the first edit because of the wariness about overusing ellipses, but either way would still be correct (and I should have mentioned both options). But my question is: is using just two periods instead of three an acceptable way to make ellipses? I thought it was three, but I might be mistaken...

Edited by Dimar

I have a question/clarification regarding punctuation. I'm not good with this technical stuff. >.<

I wasn't descriptive in my comment even though I should have been, but I was thinking that those double periods should be either ellipses or removed altogether. I went with removal on the first edit because of the wariness about overusing ellipses, but either way would still be correct (and I should have mentioned both options). But my question is: is using just two periods instead of three an acceptable way to make ellipses? I thought it was three, but I might be mistaken...

As far as I'm aware, ellipses are three periods. Two periods would denote an abbreviation ending a sentence (though I strongly recommend avoiding that).

Edited by pinkgothic

Ellipses are three. Two is... nothing. xd.png

After the failed rebellion of the Districts against the tyranny of the Capitol, the President of Circenses decreed an annual tournament to be held in which sixteen tributes, two from each district, would be locked in an arena, only one of them allowed to leave it alive. These are the Starving Games.

Orb lost hope the moment her name was called out as the female tribute for District Six. She had no knowledge of fighting and no wish to fight. When the Games began all she did was flee into the woods and hide herself. She trembled and cowered, her heart stopping at every unexpected sound of the forest. When night came, she was exhausted by anxiety and knew she would have to find the light of the moon to nourish herself. Orb left her shelter and lay down in a large clearing, moonlight feeding energy into her body. With her pale blue skin she was easily distinguishable from the dark forest floor. Too easily distinguishable; it did not take the other tributes long to find her.

User Comments

Reject: This doesn't describe your dragon, and it also seems to imply that your dragon was killed, when she clearly was not.

Accept:

Accept: Aww poor girl. ~D

Accept: Is this part of the Hunger Games lineages?

@reject:

According to this thread, third post, section "Describe the dragon", this does describe the dragon whether you like it or not tongue.gif

Regarding the second bit, she was alive when I wrote that description, Lord knows what might have happened to her since then... Haven't seen her since. I think the female tribute from District Eight may have had something to do with it rolleyes.gif

There was once a wandering sage who was involved in an epic quest to make the best sandwich in all the lands. Along her journey through the volcanic high lands to see about some cheese, she stopped for lunch next to a steaming vent. Nervous, but hungry, she set out the bread on a stone to prepare her meal when the aroma of cooking bread reached her. Finding her bread perfectly toasted she found the stone wasn't a stone at all, but a dragon egg. Taking the dragon with her for the rest of her journey, Toaster of Bread soon lived up to her name, perfectly crisping the outside of the woman's bread whenever she desired and providing insight on the quality of sandwich meat.

Accept: omnomnom biggrin.gif -H

Accept: Mmm, it's the little things that make life good. Like perfectly toasted bread. -Ƭ

Accept: Haha, interesting! ~PG

Accept:

Accept: The power to create the ultimate sandwich... Truly, this must be the most potent dragon ever! - MC1

Accept:

Accept: Yum! ~D

Accept: A good witch? No. A bad witch? No. Then what kind of witch are you? A sandwitch. *hysterical pause moment* It's funn -Jay

Accept:

Accept: Awesome

Accept:

So far my most commented upon description. Jay, you made me laugh with that comment.

user posted image

I wonder who made this comment, and I'm glad you got the feeling of the description correct. I was in a storytelling mood when I wrote it, and I wanted a sad story made.

So, I hope I haven't been bothering reviewers too much with my bunch of dragonified chemical elements. The Periodic Clan is growing real fast, what can I say. biggrin.gif I've been on a writing spree since I got this idea (wrote 21 descrips over the weekend, looking forward to this week as well), and some comments have popped up along the way :3 Always nice to see something other than blank Accepts. Well, unless it's a troll or something.

Fluorine is a particularly bothersome elemental. She is admittedly a very friendly dragonness, but unfortunately clingy and she'll rudely try to force herself on others regardless of their wishes. On top of that, she doesn't seem to grasp the concept of personal space very well. So far, only Helium and Neon somehow manage to keep their distance despite Fluorine's repeated attempts. She hates being alone and it's hard to separate her from whomever she's decided to usurp, except through brute force; and even then, Fluorine is a huge pain to contain, as she has the unusual skill of breaking out of just about anything.

Accept: LOL nice. ~D

Accept: Very nice. It was fun to read and I thought her personality somehow matched her sprite picture. smile.gif

First off, thanks and I'm glad you like her. :3 I'm pretty happy about Fluorine, myself; she's one of the few elementals whose breed fits them perfectly. Olives are small, scrawny, sneaky, venomous, kinda caustic, ankle murderers and their sprite has the perfect pose and expression, what's not to like?

Bad luck follows Antimony wherever he goes. Given his meek nature and inability to say no to someone, many members of the Periodic Clan view him as exceptionally easy to take advantage of. As such, he's often stuck with dirty jobs that nobody in their right mind would take and gets otherwise abused all around. Yet, Antimony doesn't mind all of this as much as the fact that he never gets any credit for his work; despite being somewhat self-conscious and insecure, he longs for attention almost desperately. Though Lead has been one of Antimony's best friends since they were hatchlings, it gets tiring to never get recognition for anything they've worked on together. One can't blame the poor dragon for being somewhat bitter and pessimistic.

Accept: Looks good to me. smile.gif ~D

Accept: Poor dragon. He'd do anything for some attention...

Accept:

He's that kind of dragon with the cartoon raincloud constantly over his head, lol. I'll have to relay this comment to him. He's really going to appreciate that someone feels for him. xd.png

Platinum may have read a little too many heroic epics in her time. A self-proclaimed hero, she loves to see herself as a brave knight who fights evil and defends the weak, and she has an idealized notion of chivalry. She founded the so-called Platinum Order, consisting of just her siblings who couldn't care less either way, and is overly gallant to Gold and Silver, who are mostly just left embarrassed. Sharply contrasting her moral code, Platinum is also a horrible gossip, along with Rhodium and Palladium - the three call themselves the Catalysts. She just can't seem to stay out of others' business and especially loves playing matchmaker; she is the one who brought together many happy pairs, though also a few unhappy ones.

Accept: Haha, nice. ~D

Accept: Hehe, she sounds really interesting. The name 'Catalysts' is an awesome name for a gossip group, by the way.

Accept: Oh hai *waves* I like this. Keep it up! -

I love how everyone's laughing at Platinum, and the second comment altogether. Either way, who's the person with the hyphen? They're being friendly but I don't know them. *waves back anyway* I've been wondering about the unsigned person (people?) as well.

Edited by Orlageddon

So it's YOU, Orlageddon, who's been writing all those descriptions. xd.png I've been enjoying those very much, even though I'm not a science-y person so I probably don't get all of the chemistry references. x3

Mossy stone left the protection of his cave to wander about the land. Most were surprised to see a dragon such as he out of his cave, but he gave them little thought as he wandered far and wide. Enjoying the smell of the salt in the air as ocean waves crashed against the shore, and feeling mighty as he walked through the blowing ash of a rumbling volcano as the earth under his feet heated to nearly unbearable levels, but it was the Jungles that gave him pause. The humid air softened his scales and the sunlight warmed him as the wind carried seeds from the copious vegetation. Wakening from a nap next to a waterfall, he found his feet covered in a soft moss and that little blue flowers had taken root in the dust and dirt that had gathered between his ankle scales from his wandering.

Mossy stone took this as a sign and dug a cave behind the waterfall, though he prefers to sit on his favorite warmed rock and let the moss and flowers that have grown into his hide flourish in the sun.

Accept: *Waking up* D'aaw, this is nice smile.gif -H

Accept: Very nice! ~PG

Accept:

Accept: How long was Mossy Stone asleep?! - R

Accept: Very nice! ~D

Accept:

Reject: So, what's he doing now? Keep in mind, descriptions should be present tense. I understand he left his cave, but where is he now? What is he doing?

@ the reject... he's sleeping on his sun warmed stone next to the waterfall.

The daughter of Nitric and Hydrochloric Acid, Aqua Regia is even worse than her parents. She's oddly aggressive for her kind and especially vicious to Gold, the royal leader of the Periodic Clan, having been trained by her mother specifically to defeat him. After she first fought him and won quite spectacularly, she took over the Clan for a short time and terrorized the other elementals, which still haunts Gold to this day. Nowadays, though she's no longer much of a threat thanks to the Platinum Order, Aqua Regia is still feared all across the Clan because of her bad temper and habit of being violent "just because".

Accept: Very good! smile.gif ~D

Reject:

And the Periodic Clan's first blank reject goes to... Aqua Regia of all dragons. That's not a good idea. xd.png

Edited by Orlageddon

Wowsers, someone has been busy with approvals again, nice work!

Not sure what to do with Rizkay though...

This dragon likes to show off before males by appearing with her wings close about her and various bits of hoard such as banners and jewelry draped over her. Slowly she moves about, shedding one piece of hoard at a time and moving her wings slightly further out from her body. Just when the last piece of hoard is removed and her wings about to unveil her torso, she darts behind a tree. This has proven effective at attracting mates who do not bother her with long-term relationships.

User Comments

•Accept: Pity that the mods seemed to disagree on this one smile.gif -H

•Moderator Reject: I... still think this description is inappropriate. I am sorry that it got approved once causing confusion, but sometimes with so many descrips to go through, I rush and make mistakes in the option I choose. =(

•Accept: LOL it almost sounds too risqué until people remember these are dragons -Ƭ

•Accept:

•Accept:

•Accept: I do think this name is more appropriate. smile.gif ~D

I do not think the moderator that approved it originally was the same as the one that rejected it now, as the original approval was quite a few years ago (I've been replacing my messy-lineaged dragons from long ago with CB or as close as I could get, transferring the names & descriptions). I particularly agree with T's comment.

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

@ the reject... he's sleeping on his sun warmed stone next to the waterfall.

I also disagree with this:

Reject: So, what's he doing now? Keep in mind, descriptions should be present tense. I understand he left his cave, but where is he now? What is he doing?

Descriptions can be either present or past so long as you're consistent within the description.

Oh, I got more lovely comments for a chicken this time:

user posted image

Thank you for not asking why she hates rocks, I don't know why anyways.

A noble to the core, Neon is usually stoic and above everything, and if even he gets emotional, there's probably something very serious going on. Most members of the Periodic Clan have grown to avoid him, as he's not very good at pretense in order to fit in, is very blunt at times, and can't be bothered to remember others' names no matter how many times they're repeated. Though cold and reserved, Neon is rarely downright hostile, except toward Fluorine, a clingy Olive who can't take a hint to leave him alone already. He is also strangely close to his brother Krypton, as he still feels somewhat guilty about whatever it was that happened to him.

Accept: Nice smile.gif -H

Accept: Nice. smile.gif ~D

Accept:

Reject:

Accept:

Synchronized commenting ftw! xd.png

Not sure what to do with Rizkay though...

User Comments

•Accept: Pity that the mods seemed to disagree on this one smile.gif -H

•Moderator Reject: I... still think this description is inappropriate. I am sorry that it got approved once causing confusion, but sometimes with so many descrips to go through, I rush and make mistakes in the option I choose. =(

•Accept: LOL it almost sounds too risqué until people remember these are dragons -Ƭ

•Accept:

•Accept:

•Accept: I do think this name is more appropriate. smile.gif ~D

I do not think the moderator that approved it originally was the same as the one that rejected it now, as the original approval was quite a few years ago (I've been replacing my messy-lineaged dragons from long ago with CB or as close as I could get, transferring the names & descriptions).  I particularly agree with T's comment.

I thought DC was PG-13? What in this description makes it unsuitable for children of 13 years and older? Or is that a cultural difference because I'm not American?

Edit: I completely accept that mods have to make decisions other people may not like, I'm just curious as to the reason for the reject.

Edited by Mirhana

I agree with Mirhana. I found Rizkay's description to be quite clever, as it was both risque and not at all vulgar. That's a difficult thing to accomplish, especially these days...

Kat Mraao, otherwise known as Kitty, is an extremely catlike creature. He stalks mice, birds, anything of the sort, and seems to only say "Mraaaaao!" Because of this, he is normally left alone by others - although Kitty wants nothing of the sort! Just because he adores and acts like felines, doesn't mean he has to be lonely! Some days, he searches hours on end to find another like him, but alas, he always ends in failure. Kitty needs a special someone to be with him, but it seems that nobody wants to deal with him, and that just pushes him further into his cat-sanity.

Accept:

Accept: Aww... Sounds like he'd get along well with my own cats.

Accept: Ah, because of the code... I see. wink.gif ~D

Reject: completely out of character for any species of dragon. They roar, they don't meow. come back when you can write a decent description. ~TheKid

that last one tho

TheKid needs to get a grip... or stop reviewing, methinks. rolleyes.gif

"...for any species of dragon," - I think they were either new to the site or simply trolling:

- Albino: owl-shriek instead of roar

- Blacktip dragons: loud, low-pitched honking noises

- Waverunners: live in noisy rookeries; though the sound isn't described I can't imagine them roaring

- Fleshcrowne: hiss when in danger

- Nilia pygmies: The chirp was a mix of a cat’s mew and a babies soft cry.

Actually, I can't think of any description that mentions them roar xd.png Only the Albino's "instead of a roar" seems to imply some other species of dragon roar.

Edited by Mirhana

"...for any species of dragon," - I think they were either new to the site or simply trolling:

- Albino: owl-shriek instead of roar

- Blacktip dragons: loud, low-pitched honking noises

- Waverunners: live in noisy rookeries; though the sound isn't described I can't imagine them roaring

- Fleshcrowne: hiss when in danger

- Nilia pygmies: The chirp was a mix of a cat’s mew and a babies soft cry.

Actually, I can't think of any description that mentions them roar xd.png Only the Albino's "instead of a roar" seems to imply some other species of dragon roar.

Also

- Seragamma wyvern: often shriek when fighting another

- Speckle-throated: has a "loud, echoing call"

- Spotted greenwing: rarely makes a sound (so not roaring?)

- Solstice: croons, trills, and chuffs

- Sweetling: sings to attract

- Cavern lurker: goes bump in the night biggrin.gif

Thunder dragons are specifically mentioned to roar. Even with vocalizations in their descriptions, I'm pretty sure most of them can make other sounds. We humans are most often heard blabbing, but we can certainly hum and hiss and scream.

Edited by dirtytabs