Dr. Paine

Description comments

I wouldn't worry about it, pinkgothic. I copied that into a word processor and got 975 characters (there's also that counter on the describing page to tell you how close you are to the cutoff). Maybe they think it's incomplete or accidentally deleted something: there's been times when I've accidentally deleted a whole line or added a letter. >.<

Sometimes, depending on your browser and screen size, you have to scroll down within the description - and not everyone realizes that! In Firefox I can enlarge the reading box, but some browsers you can't.

Turlingdrome isn't too bright, even by drake standards. He can't recognize fresh food from rotten, so it's a wonder he hasn't died from food poisoning yet, and he often stares at the sky with mouth hanging open. When someone speaks to him, he makes a noise that sounds, to the dragons, like "What", so some of the young ones enjoy talking to Turlingdrome to make him "say" "What" over and over. No matter how hard everyone tries, no one can convince him to keep a towel, as important as that is.

Accept:

Accept: Do *you* know where your towel is?

Accept: I would revise for run-ons smile.gif But other than that, its great!

Accept: Cute! But why a towel? ~D

Accept:

Accept:

That's the most accepts I've seen in a while! wub.gif Anyway, one should always know where his towel is because it's a massively useful object. tongue.gif

That's the most accepts I've seen in a while! wub.gif Anyway, one should always know where his towel is because it's a massively useful object. tongue.gif

It is, indeed! (I forgot to sign that, didn't I?) [Do *you* know where your towel is? - L]

Looks like Dimar doesn't know Hitchhiker's, though. ohmy.gif

Looks like Dimar doesn't know Hitchhiker's, though.  ohmy.gif

ASDF I've seen the movie but it was a while ago and I have bad memory and so I don't remember. D: I'm so ashamed! *flails around in despair*

http://dragcave.net/lineage/nqjJa

Supermarine Spitfire, or better known as just 'Spitfire' is a dragon that is fast and fierce. What he lacks in ranged abilities he makes up for with performance. He might not be able to fly out to the far forest to catch deer, but he can catch any of the nearby rodents quickly and without fail. He does many jobs for the cave, including scouting out close hunting grounds, training young dragons to hunt and fight, even intercepting feral dragons before they get too close to the cave. While he may be getting old, he is still admired by many of the younger dragons for the job he does.
  • Accept:

So this is what I have so far after I changed some minor mistakes. Anything I'm missing?

And someone please tell me I'm not the only one who gets why this description goes with this name. I feel lonely.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/GqV4r

Saynnaa was something most didn't want to touch, befriend, and look at. She knew happiness only led to pain. When she was starving none of the others would help her. They would even try to steal food from her which most of the time they were successful due to her fragile body. A White came one day and told her she used to be a White as well. She begged the White to turn her back, but even magic as strong as the White's could not heal her breaking soul and heart. One day she had minutes before she would've died. Someone came and held out food for her to eat. She was hesitant and thought the food was poisoned, but she had no choice but to digest the food. He saved her life, but maybe she thought, things could have been different if he had found her as an egg. She has wandered with him since then. Even through all the pain she experienced, she can't help but think things will be different with him. She doesn't show it, but she would fight to protect her master at the risk of her own life.

• Accept: Yay for corrections smile.gif -H
  • Accept:
  • Accept:
  • Accept: Good story! ~D
  • Accept: A great description!
  • Accept: Very good. smile.gif

I'm happy there's no rejects so far ^//^ Would be happier if it got accepted like now. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait. biggrin.gif

Btw, I'd love to know who H and D are, I have seen them appear in a few other descriptions I've tried when I was a real newbie, haha. They all got rejected because I didn't know what I was doing *Blushes*

So yeah anyone else that usually has a signature? I know MS because I scrolled up to read, lol >.>;

H = Herk; D = Dimar; L = me (but I don't often sign)

So this is what I have so far after I changed some minor mistakes. Anything I'm missing?

And someone please tell me I'm not the only one who gets why this description goes with this name. I feel lonely.

I might say "...and fight, and even intercepting..." but that looks good and I'm not sure if that addition is even necessary. Nice work! Hmm... both the name and the description reminded me a bit of some descriptions someone I know wrote based on fighter planes. So that was my hunch before I Googled the name to make sure that it really was a type of plane. I hope that's what you meant! x3

So yeah anyone else that usually has a signature? I know MS because I scrolled up to read, lol >.>;

Besides what Lagie said, there's a list of some other signatures in this post.

Edited by Dimar

So I got a comment on this:

Ever since Flameo Dorkface hatched from his egg, he has been obsessed and fascinated with his ability to blow fire and smoke. The other dragons of EG's Cave find it unbearably adorable to witness his blowing little puffs of flames and giggling endlessly. Each time he blows a huge ball of fire, he cries, "Flameo!" as an expression of excitement.

"Accept: Flameo, hotman!"

I flailed when I saw that. I love it when people get my Avatar references! biggrin.gif

I might say "...and fight, and even intercepting..." but that looks good and I'm not sure if that addition is even necessary. Nice work! Hmm... both the name and the description reminded me a bit of some descriptions someone I know wrote based on fighter planes. So that was my hunch before I Googled the name to make sure that it really was a type of plane. I hope that's what you meant! x3

Yay! Someone gets it, even if google helped. tongue.gif

All my Spitfires are named around the Supermarine Spitfire British fighter, he's the first one of my 'flight' of spitfires.

You guys have some really nice descriptions here. And I finally get to see who the people behind the signatures are!

I sign my comments DT. It used to be a squiggly Ƭ, but remembering how to get it there was too much trouble. >.>

I occasionally see "TWM" and "NE". Don't know about them.

I sign my comments DT. It used to be a squiggly Ƭ, but remembering how to get it there was too much trouble. >.>

I occasionally see "TWM" and "NE". Don't know about them.

Cool, I'll go add yours. I know who NE is, but I should get their permission before adding their signature. I feel like I should know TWM but I'm not sure at the moment... if anyone else wants their signature added to the list, feel free to post in that thread or PM one of us thread mods. happy.gif

So I got a comment on this:

[[description]]

"Accept: Flameo, hotman!"

I flailed when I saw that. I love it when people get my Avatar references!  :D

Ehehe, that was me~ :3 *is a big A:TLA fan~*

Now for a description I'm not sure about:

Stubborn and determined, this dragoness has an electrifying 'in your face' personality. When she was just a hatchling, she ran away from her neglectful mother (her father had never been around). She soon joined with two other runaways, and for a time they were like a happy family. After a few years of this, their band was discovered by a Searcher, who led them to the Eastern Dragon Camp. The Camp was supposed to be safe, but they were attacked by strange monsters before they could enter, and this dragoness sacrificed herself so that her companions would live. A passing Magi who witnessed the battle from afar, took pity on her and transformed her into a tree, causing the monsters to stop attacking. She 'lived' upon a hilltop for years, until another group of Campers found an ancient artifact that restored her form. When she heard of a strange prophecy which may have been about her, she chose to join Artemis's Huntresses, and in doing so, did not become the subject of the Great Prophecy.

User Comments

•Abstain: I don't know that Magi can do magic like that, but if so, all right. Artemis is a name you should avoid referencing, as it's an actual name (mythical, yes, but found IRL). I get the ref though! -MS

•Accept: Ah, a Percy Jackson fan. ;)

•Accept: Very nice! ~D

•Abstain: Hehe. I see what you did there. A bit too noticable though, so maybe twist it a bit, like change the name of some things, or make sure it isn't almost the same

•Accept:

I've done other references to the PJatO/HoO books (there're a few pending and his was approved), and this is the first time I've been told it's too recognizable. I did try to change some things around so it's not exactly the same as the books and fits DC (took out the immortality bit, didn't go into the whole 'godly parent' stuff, changed some names, etc., but I digress..). Is it okay if I keep it as-is, or do I need to tweak it some more? The issue with changing it, though, is that I'm at the character limit... XD

I'm inclined to say that "Artemis's Huntresses" is okay since you don't say it's the name of a goddess. For all the context you give, it may very well be a group under the leadership of a dragon named Artemis, which would be allowed.

As for the magic part, that's a good point. Magi can't bring the dead back to life, and I suppose "sacrificed herself" implies death. Not sure about turning a live dragon into a tree... that part I'm not so sure about, now that it's been pointed out. :/ I'm not getting any ideas about how that could be reworded and remain a similar story though. *waits for others' feedback*

Wow I should stop monopolizing the recent posts. D:

I'd say turning things into trees is completely OK. It happens all the time in fantasy literature and the casters are not gods or somesuch - just powerful wizards/mages, which is exactly what Magi dragons are. For example it IS the only magic the good wizard Trent in the Xanth series has, transforming living things into other living things, a tree is explicitly mentioned; I do not-so-fondly remember that stupid rpg model we once played where we helped an elf get to the right place so he could turn himself into a tree. Actually there was a 1st edition D&D Cleric spell that allowed every cleric to transform into a tree (a more powerful version turned the whole group into a small group of trees) for a couple of hours, etc.

So maybe it's my gamer background but this doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary, just very appropriately "epic".

On my Pink.

Sedi is usually very calm and composed, and outwardly she seems capable of any challenge. Nothing seems to daunt her; she approaches even the most terrifying problem with a cool mind and sound logic.

But the fear she never shows is imprisoned deep within her. And sometimes the lock breaks, and the fear escapes from its cage to fill her body and come out as pure instinct, reducing Sedi to a sniveling wreck. During these moments of pure fear, she looses control of herself and begins screaming and sobbing while spasming on the ground, striking out with her claws at the air around her and occasionally clawing at her own scales.

These episodes, regarded as tantrums by her parents, were most often in response to a difficult school assignment when she was a hatchling. Now, they happen rarely, but are generally caused by events or dragons  that she is afraid of and are no less crippling. Sometimes they happen for no reason whatsoever, leaving her miserable for the remainder of the day.

Comments:

Accept:

Reject: Sentences should never start with "But" or "And".

Accept:

Accept: Wow. This is... amazing, and slightly frightening. Very well written, Hawktalon smile.gif! ~

Accept:

Rejecter: Okay, maybe not in formal writing, but I've seen plenty of writers do it stylistically. And thank you, anonymous tilde (Dimar?)! That comment just made my whole day! biggrin.gif

Like her sister, Candies is very shy. She does her best to get along with the dragons, but cannot seem to get the words out. Her genetics, rather similar to her sister's, make her a highly sought after dragon as well. Regardless of her attempts to accept a male's wooing, she is unable create the proper words. A lonely whale in a great big sea. Her sister, The Foxed One, is ignorant in her eyes. A jealousy never to be revealed.

User Comments:

Accept: OK -H

Accept: Poor dragon.... -MS

Accept:

Accept:

Reject:

Accept:

Reject: I wouldn't use ignorant, arrogant maybe but not ignorant ~brair

Accept: Why does her similar genetics make her desirable??

Accept: Some of the incomplete sentences are a little off (there's two) but it seems like there's a reason for it so it works. ~D

I'm curious, am i to explain her similar genetics? Her and her sister share a bright coloring, which is explained in the other one.

Why can't i use Ignorant?

And yes, the sentences are like that on purpose.

I would explain the bright coloring in the posted description as well because 1) you have the space and 2) you reference it pretty strongly and the reader is left confused if they don't hunt down the other description.

I can't comment on arrogant vs. ignorant since it's not explained why she thinks this, so either could work in this description. (After finding her sister, arrogant is definitely the word I would use, but I'm not Candies.)

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

This precious dragon was given to Mondat as an egg in a trade which seemed destined to happen. Olives and numbers bring good luck, it is known.

Despite feeling and knowing that it has the freedom to go wherever it wants to go it never leaves the temple for a long time and seems rather protective of all residents and smaller beings.

Being rather cheeky as well, it likes to sit on the roof of the mountain temple and scare its visitors with a loud howl. When it is successful in its attempt children usually start laughing or crying while crones start shrilling or scolding - sometimes they even throw their baskets at it. But no villager really dislikes this dragon and it is well-liked by everyone.

Accept:

Accept: LOL, did you pay a lot of Olive dragons or something? tongue.gif ~D

Accept:

@Dimar: Nope, it was just 1 Olive dragon with an all-number-code which I received a CB Silver and CB Gold for smile.gif

Frozen Sunstone named "Koji Nisseki-ori Ichi Ryuu":

Discarded as an egg for unknown reasons, this little beast has only recently become aware of her true parentage, and she clings to it fiercely--and rather desperately. For she knows her parent's names mean SOMETHING, but she's quite at a loss as to what, adopting what she hopes is an acceptable mimic of theirs in place of the name her foster parents gave her and endlessly trying to figure out the language of her ancestors. She's not quite sure she's got it yet, but in the mean time she's having great fun calling everyone baka-chan.

User Comments

Accept: Japanese Sunstones are the best Sunstones. -Glory

Accept: LOL I know the owner of her parents so I could ask for her. xd.png ~D

Accept: Cute! (Koji=origin/tradition/small child; Nisseki=evening; ori=weave/time; Ichi Ryuu="one dragon" Depends on kanji, though.) ~Syl

Accept: Nicely done.Good to see you,ADP. I am curious about what kind of language you used to name them. Is it Japanese? -Autumn

I was laughing so hard at these comments! I have absolutely no idea what the parent's names meant--she was an AP find--so I just took a guess and wrote the description accordingly. So seeing people commenting about the names and meanings and all was both informative and hilarious! xd.png Also, I had no clue "Ori," the one part of her name that wasn't taken from her parents, also meant something in Japanese!

Two Howler Drakes:

A beast of very big antlers and very little brain, Quyeyrie wandered out of his mother's nest when he was young and never found his way back again. Instead, he found DEER--and, as they also wore antlers, clearly he was one of them! Now a full-fledged adult (how he survived childhood is probably based more on the abundance of the woods rather than his wit), every fall without terror he storms around causing chaos on the woods, flirting on does like there's no tomorrow and beating the snot out of any buck foolish enough to challenge him.

This incredibly skittish drake makes his home near a human settlement, which has led to no shortage of... complications. Often creeping around the streets after dusk in search of scraps, he'll be startled by his reflection in a window, flare his wings--and promptly terrify himself half to death at the sight of the red eye spots glaring back at him! His high-pitched "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" has become a frequent noise on quiet evenings; one would think he'd eventually catch on to the fact that it's only his reflection (or at least that the "monster" won't hurt him), but he's not exactly the world's smartest drake.

First - Accept: I'm on the Neotropical side of the argument. This is still well-written, however.

Second - Accept: I'm on the Neotropical side. But that is pretty funny anyway.

Neither of these descriptions even had anything to do with Neotropicals other than the fact that they were Howlers! But the real kicker? The one description I DID write about the Neotropical / Howler war got no such comment--other than a certain reviewer cough Dimar cough laughing that it had finally been mentioned! xd.png

A well aged scamp of a dragon, this elderly beast might not move as swiftly as he once did, but his personality hasn't slowed down one bit. Often seen perched comfortably on his favorite rock (from which some say he doesn't move for months on end), he rouses from dozing only to share offbeat jokes or a game of cards or marbles with his family members (of which there is a prodigious amount)--but once he's awake there's no stopping him. Cooking copious amounts of pasta, engaging in playful squabbling with his wife Dsho and daughter Karone, bursting into endless bouts of old fashioned music right when everyone else is trying to talk (which he sings quite well, despite his family's groaning), he carries on until the exact moment he drifts into another nap. Possessing an especially deep love for his grandchildren (many of whom love him just as strongly back), he is visited by some of them on an almost weekly basis, the tender bond between them considered remarkable by all who see it.

Accept: I want this dragon to be my grandfather. Just sayin'. -Drako

On a serious note... he was my grandfather. He was a good man. I was gifted this dragon on the day he passed away, so I thought it only fitting to capture a little bit of his big personality in the description. Thank you for the comment--it meant a lot to me.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I name all my Trihorns something starting with V which led to the following name/description:

Videocassete - known as VHS to her friends - is a very old-fashioned kind of dragoness. She will do things the way they have always been done, no matter if the old way is stupid, slow, or terribly out-dated. "If it was good enough for my parents it's good enough for me" is one of her favourite sayings.

Got this after a couple of minutes:

Reject: The Mideval Age didn't have VHS. They didn't even get to see the printing press, as all of the dragons were wiped out by 1450.

Spot the wrong things in the comment biggrin.gif

Darn I spotted - corrected two typos, so I lost that one.

Edited by herk

Herk, I wouldn't worry about Videcassette. The description is fine, and I have my Vidiot with an approved description, http://dragcave.net/lineage/tvBX9. xd.png

I'm not worried dragongrrl, I'm amused to learn that dragons obviously died out by 1450 wink.gif

Very good spot pg one nitpick to add:

The printing press is WAY older, the printing press with REMOVABLE letters was introduced mid 15th century wink.gif

Edited by herk