Dr. Paine

Description comments

That's from
. The connection is the Black Pearl. Funny enough, I have a pair of Vampire hatchlings named similar.

Ohhh ok! tongue.gif It's usually me who makes obscure references in comments, funny someone made a reference I didn't get...

@Awdz Bodkins: I don't see any reason why you got a reject on your description, I think it shows how determined and loyal your dragon is to work so hard to protect his family.

Awdz, that sounds like a comment by someone whose 'description' would only be to tell us what we can already see. i.e. "This dragon is small and green and can't fly," as if we don't already know that about the mints. I wouldn't worry about it. Story descriptions (like this) are part of the fun!

Can someone explain what the heck happened?

I submitted this user posted image :

Svataben's Dorkwed is really named Benny, but he begged and begged Svataben to use his title on the scroll in stead.

Benny is very proud of his heritage, however far removed, and probably more so because he's never really done anything worth mentioning.

In a clan full of active dragons, including the Hatchling Army and dragons with special talents, he feels a little left out from time to time.

He tried being helpful, but having no paws to grab things with, there was very little he could do. Even the tiniest of black hatchlings seems more adept, so eventually he gave up trying to fit in by being useful.

In stead he keeps his scales shiny, remembers his heritage, and holds his head high.

The other dragons might have resented him, but luckily he is so nice and softly spoken that no-one can resent him a little pride.

And got this ridiculous reply:

Reject: This dragon is not actually a Dorkface; he is descended from 'The Original Midas Dorkface' not 'Midas Dorkface'. The last sentence doesn't make much sense either - try 'him for a little pride' ~ Draco

Firstly, as the wiki shows, The Original Midas Dorkface IS the original.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure the grammar in that last sentence is perfect.

Can anyone tell me about the grammar there?

And will that rejection matter?

You don't see me; I'm not here - I'm in bed!

Mods may read and judge comments, but it is us who must make the final call. Remember we can't even see if a comment is a reject/abstain/accept. Probably most of us reviewing know about the naming fiasco that become of the Dorkface couple. It's just a harmless comment from someone who didn't realize they lost their names and were re-named. :3

(Yaaay, reviewers! They're human and they make mistakes just like mods, but it's so nice to have them around.)

In stead he keeps his scales shiny, remembers his heritage, and holds his head high.

The other dragons might have resented him, but luckily he is so nice and softly spoken that no-one can resent him a little pride.

*Instead

I would say "soft-spoken" (and also no one, but that's an American English thing, lol) and "resent him for having a little pride".

Instead he keeps his scales shiny, remembers his heritage, and holds his head high.

The other dragons might have resented him, but luckily he is so nice and soft-spoken that no-one can resent him for having a little pride.

You may be technically correct, but it reads a little awkwardly.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Firstly, as the wiki shows, The Original Midas Dorkface IS the original.

Oh I'm so sorry Svataben, I always thought that 'The Original Midas Dorkface' was a fake one done by someone who wanted to pretend that their dragon's offspring were Dorkfaces *facepalm* I feel like a total idiot now... Anyway, on the plus side it does mean that I have quite a few Dorkfaces on my scroll that I shall have to rename as such. I still stand by my grammar correction however.

Oh I'm so sorry Svataben, I always thought that 'The Original Midas Dorkface' was a fake one done by someone who wanted to pretend that their dragon's offspring were Dorkfaces  *facepalm*  I feel like a total idiot now... Anyway, on the plus side it does mean that I have quite a few Dorkfaces on my scroll that I shall have to rename as such. I still stand by my grammar correction however.

Haha! Ah well, no harm done, and don't feel bad about it. (I have 4 'Accept' on the slightly revised version now anyway.)

And congrats on your Dorkfaces!

Major Star (S2 Stone Hatchling)

Major Star is a commissioned officer of the Stone Army and currently serving in the Pentacave with the Joint Chiefs of Stone, General Hospital, General Store, General Mayhem and Rear Admiral Butts. Major Star shares a cave office (no windows) with Major Hazard and Commander Todoit. The officers are detailed to handle petitions from the ranks of the service dragons. Examples of their daily work include the complaint of inappropriate handling of Private Parts, allegations of assault against Corporal Punishment or the improper haircut of Major Eyesore. The worst Problem of the Stone Army concerns a naval business; due to budget cuts, the Stone Navy had to economize and reduce the number of personnel. This led to public uproar because the caves are full of discharged seamen.
  • Accept: I love you Rally Vincent - Herk
  • Accept:
  • Accept:
  • Accept: I absolutely LOVE all of these hilarious, ironic placements of names and situations. smile.gif ~D

I usually get mixed reactions; it's rare that there isn't at least one reject in the comments.

This dragon sometimes thinks she's a potato. And sometimes a carrot. This is an unusual occurrence, thought to be developed by being overly-exposed to a human known only as 'Sockpuppet Strangler'.

Accept: You mean this is not a carrot?

Reject:

Accept: Fine.

Accept: YES!!!

Accept:

Reject:

Accept: That's awesome, Grox- it just made my day. SPS is the best! ~D

Had to laugh at that one. ^^

Always get some rejects on my ... weirder descriptions. XD

I'm still not quite sure how to react at the moment, since I just had a description rejected that was previously approved and had to be resubmitted for a grammar edit...

Apparently a CB Bright Pink can't be "one of the last an increasingly rare breed" according to whoever reviewed it, despite the fact that the breed is no longer found in the cave or through breeding. I'm quite miffed at the moment. I wouldn't be nearly so irritated if not for the fact that this description has been approved previously with that exact line in place; it was the very last line that was edited for some awkward wording.

One of the last of an increasingly rare breed, Marika is essentially the nanny of this colony of captive dragons. She takes it upon herself to care for any eggs present in the colony regardless of their origin, though her own eggs do take some degree of priority. Refusing to settle down with any one mate, she is known to the other female dragons of the colony as one who lures males from their mates and is not well-liked among them due to her behavior.
  • Accept: nice smile.gif
  • Moderator Reject: I'm sorry, I just don't understand how she is the last of an increasingly rare breed?
  • Accept: fine
  • Accept:
  • Accept:
  • Accept:
  • Accept: FRIGGIN AWESOME
  • Accept:
Edited by keijaidyyn

They probably just derped, people do that sometimes. I'd just resubmit it as is.

This dragon is a pretty cool guy. He's helpful, always eager to protect the clan's territory or go hunting, or even dance to entertain the hatchlings.

One could say that this dragon is pretty swell.

Accept: OK

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: Short, but gets the point across. ~D

Accept:

No, I think you're all missing the point.

Oh, I get it now! laugh.gif I never even looked at his code!

I'm still not quite sure how to react at the moment, since I just had a description rejected that was previously approved and had to be resubmitted for a grammar edit...

Apparently a CB Bright Pink can't be "one of the last an increasingly rare breed" according to whoever reviewed it, despite the fact that the breed is no longer found in the cave or through breeding. I'm quite miffed at the moment. I wouldn't be nearly so irritated if not for the fact that this description has been approved previously with that exact line in place; it was the very last line that was edited for some awkward wording.

• Accept: nice smile.gif
  • Moderator Reject: I'm sorry, I just don't understand how she is the last of an increasingly rare breed?
  • Accept: fine
  • Accept:
  • Accept:
  • Accept:
  • Accept: FRIGGIN AWESOME
  • Accept:

That does seem really weird to me, I had one approved with nearly the same situation. I wrote this for a frill: "Quo Vadis was born from one of the last eggs of a dragon species slowing going extinct." http://dragcave.net/lineage/CiJG

Maybe we had different mods, but it seems appropriate and fitting to me.

Starflight is a traveling weyr, kept on the move by a complex combination of machinery and spells. Osbar, one of the few (and quite proud of it) who knows how everything works, spends much of his time overseeing the propulsion system. As Starflight Weyr spends much of its time boldly going where no dragon has gone before, quick escapes are often needed, so Osbar generally finds himself coaxing one last burst of speed from the engines under conditions that would reduce lesser dragons to tears. Though Osbar might complain when Akirik wants the impossible done five minutes ago, he loves his job, even when forced to perform miracles under pressure.

Accept: Scotty hunh? Or Geordie?

Accept: smile.gif great! I like it!

Accept: Perfect smile.gif

Accept: Yay for ST!

Accept:

Edited by Mathcat

Accept: nice smile.gif

Moderator Reject: I'm sorry, I just don't understand how she is the last of an increasingly rare breed?

Accept: fine

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: FRIGGIN AWESOME

Accept:

I think there may be a mod (and definitely not Sock! <3) who does not really read what they are rejecting. I had one with a moderator reject because it mentioned TV, (based on the dragon's code) saying that I should write something more "medieval." It seemed like they hadn't even bothered to read the description. I resubmitted it yesterday, got some very nice comments on it, and it was approved when I checked it this morning. biggrin.gif I'm pretty sure it's one of Sock's approvals:

Fresh out of the egg, the hatchling asked to watch TV. No one understood the request, not knowing what a TV was or why one should be watched, so the hatchling kept trying to explain "TV" or "Tele-vision" to anyone who would listen. As the hatchling matured, the other dragons were annoyed, amused or fascinated with his strange stories about TV and the way it could show other times and places. He was declared by some to be a visionary, and by others to be an idiot. Unable to prove the existence of the far-seeing box, he became known by all as Vidiot.

Your description looked good to me, so I would just resubmit it.

I think there may be a mod (and definitely not Sock! <3) who does not really read what they are rejecting.  I had one with a moderator reject because it mentioned TV, (based on the dragon's code) saying that I should write something more "medieval."  It seemed like they hadn't even bothered to read the description.  I resubmitted it yesterday, got some very nice comments on it, and it was approved when I checked it this morning.  biggrin.gif  I'm pretty sure it's one of Sock's approvals:

Your description looked good to me, so I would just resubmit it.

Your approval was mine, but that reject was also mine.

Users see the dragon pictures - I do not. Both new pinks and BP show up together. I didn't think about that, so I didn't check when I did the description. I thought it was merely a new pink. My apologies!

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

They probably just derped, people do that sometimes. I'd just resubmit it as is.

"swe11"

I see the point. laugh.gif

Here's my first description (approved in a sec, thanks Sock!)

Peanut - 3G

Her code is pNE17.

Peanut got her name from her ID code. She loves her name because she likes eating roasted peanuts made by her owner.

After hearing a story from her owner about a powerful female youkai that was over 1000 years old but insisted she was only 17, Peanut thought it was a good idea, and decided to imitate the story. Whenever she was asked to introduce herself, she would say "I'm Peanut, 17 years old." She also demands the hatchlings she protects not to call her Auntie Peanut, Granny Peanut, or anything that infers old age. And she would pretend to get very angry when others point out that she is actually already several hundred years old, or make jokes about her age. Peanut has a peaceful and loving nature, so usually she doesn't really get angry about it.

Accept: Nice smile.gif -H

Animorph I think you can see the meme here tongue.gif Yukari the old hag! aejroifgoiaejvdfdfvsza

Edited by love_HP

Here's the description for my Speckle-Throat, Flutterstream

Flutterstream earned her name due to how, like a flowing stream, she never stopped moving.  Even when she was asleep, her wings continued to flutter. When she reached maturity, Flutterstream's innate active nature led her to journey away from her homeland in order to seek adventures. After a few years, her travels led her to the island home of Shield Tail and Dark Drakon's dragon herd. At first, Flutterstream had no intention of staying on the island for more than a day, feeling the stationary dragon community there would only hinder her need for action, but she then witnessed Speed Dash covering the hatchlings' endurance lessons. Recognizing Speed Dash as a kindred spirit, Flutterstream elected to permanently join the dragon herd. Although, Flutterstream and Speed Dash often take short holidays away from the island, in order to alleviate Flutterstream's continuing wanderlust.

User Comments

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: I don't know if you were intending to reference MLP with their names, but that's what I get from it. smile.gif ~D

Well, the names Shield Tail, Dark Drakon and Speed Dash are purely my own, but Flutterstream's name was indeed inspired by MLP.

Yadot is the primary navigator for Starflight Weyr, guiding it to new destinations with the aid of the sun and the stars. A very enterprising dragon, he started off his good sense of direction to work aiding travelers, but knew he wanted more. When Yadot heard of Starflight Weyr's five year mission to travel to unfamiliar lands, he knew he'd found just the challenge he'd always been looking for. He easily convinced Akirkita that the traveling weyr needed a proper guide - and that he was just the dragon for the job. Yadot has a few assistants now, but goes to great lengths to show that he's still irreplaceable.

Accept: Nice one Mathcat smile.gif -H

Kazie was really too inexperienced to be even junior navigator for Starseeker Weyr, but the mission was supposed to be a simple one and guiding one of the great traveling weyrs had been her lifelong dream. When a malicious spell sent the weyr halfway across the world and killed the senior navigators, it fell to Kazie to get everyone home again. She wasn't ready for so much responsibility, but she adapted - it was that or perish. When the long-lost weyr finally made it back home, Kazie had changed so much as to be almost a completely different dragon, but she still hadn't lost her love of travel.

Accept: Voyager? Really Mathcat smile.gif - H

((Yes, my next spot-the-reference project is Star Trek. That should keep me busy for a while. The skywings aren't based on specific characters, but it made sense to have airborne navigators.))

I've got no problem with Star Trek, I just don't like Voyager very much wink.gif

Salacia von Humpeding is the only Vampire dragon in the Night Watch, and one of the few who does not include her rank in her official name, usually referring to herself as Sally. Many dragons were surprised when she was allowed to join the Watch, due to Commander Sam Vimes - the leader of the clan - having a well-known hatred of vampires. Nevertheless, her night vision and keen sense of smell has made her an extremely useful watchdragon. Like Otto von Chriek, she has sworn never to drink dragon blood, and when not on patrol spends her nights hunting stags and bears instead. Although she and the Nocturne dragon Sergeant Angua initially hated each other, they are now almost friends, and occasionally hunt together.

•Accept: DISCWORLD!!!! -H

•Accept:

•Accept: fine

•Accept:

•Accept:

•Accept: YES PLEASE

Hee hee, thanks Herk! I guess since I left a comment on dirtytabs' Discworld description it was time someone left one on my Discworld description xd.png The last comment is slightly worrying, however...

The last comment is slightly worrying, however...

The commenter is definitely an avid Discworld fan. laugh.gif Oh, maybe from the last sentence, they were reminded of the scene where Angua and Sally who still hate each other find themselves underground and fight-... hmm, that's more worrisome.

I love the Description event smile.gif If you don't submit while Socky's on you can get some seriously nice stuff:

Goldschlange loves to fly and prance in the sunlight from earliest dawn until the dusk settles. His only regret is the fact that there is a night in which he can't bask in the glorious sun's light.

But of course he is the kind of dragon that sees solutions instead of problems, it's simple really: all one has to do is turn the moon (or one of the stars Goldschlange isn't picky) into a second sun.

He has petitioned with Delirium's Academy to get the Magis to help with this enormous yet brilliant plan and waits for an answer to arrive any day now.

got: Accept: And there's probably some ambitious magi who'd be willing to try, too.

Accept:

Accept: bless his heart ~klin

The first one being mathcat smile.gif

Like many other caretakers, Herk had waited for the Great Ritual to bear fruits for years and years. Only performable when the new moon came at the same time as the conjunction of certain planets, it was a long and frustrating wait, and when the Magmas and their fellow dragons finally succeeded Herk was overjoyed.

As the egg matured and later as the hatchling grew, it was crooned over and taken care of with the uttermost love. Like many a human Herk had heard legends about these great and powerful creatures often referred to as gods, so she expected her Guardian to rise among her dragons to be a new, wise and powerful leader.

Things don't always turn out as expected and when she matured she chose the name Pineapple Cuffs for unfathomable reasons and just took her place among the clan's dragons like every other had done before her. She is no danger to the long established multi-leadership chaos of Herk's clan and likes goofing around far more than acting regal.

So much for expectations.

Got: Reject: Bad english

Accept: xd.png I love that last line! Very nice, can't find anything wrong with it wink.gif

Accept: omg ~klin

The first one (after about 3 seconds) made me giggle - OK it was before Socky corrected 3 typos but after some of the stuff I saw in the queue rolleyes.gif

And everyone who was reviewing the last couple of days probably stumbled upon Towythe Smurfette at least once, well in the end she got a REAL description:

Towythe Smurfette is a friendly young dragonesse that does everything to help other dragons of the clan and their human caretaker Herk.

Once there came a time when lots of the human caretakers came together to join in a great Thing to get all the stories about the dragons of the different clans sorted out and catalogued again, since it had been a long time since last they had done so. So under the leadership of the legendary human known only as Socks - the Sometimes-Potato they gathered and sat together for days and nights to get the records straightened out.

Towythe wanted to help, but because she wasn't even literate there wasn't much she could do. Until she realized that all the human caretakers did all that work without expecting any reward, so for the remainder of the Thing of Record Keepers she went back and forth between her clan and the Thing dropping beautiful eggs and hatchlings in deserving laps, knowing that the young ones would be taken care of and loved.

And she got:

Accept: Oh yes. Just so much yes. This is great, Herk! -Hawk

Accept: *kisses herk* ~D

Accept: as a participant in the Thing, thank you so much herk for your generosity throughout! Towythe is much loved for her efforts. ~klin

Did I say I LOVE the description event?

Edited by herk

Hee hee, more Discworld comments from the wonderful Herk... This thread is becoming a Terry Prachett fanclub biggrin.gif

Lady Sybil Ramkin has a long line of Silver Tinsels in her family, and is one of the more noble and distinguished dragons in the Cave - hence her title of Lady. This makes her mate Sam Vimes technically a Lord, although he hates being treated like nobility and uses his title of Commander instead, marking him out as the leader of the Night Watch. Sybil is a very kind and caring - if no-nonsense - White dragon, who has a particular affinity with Dark Myst Pygmies and has been adopted as said dragons' official healer.

•Accept:

•Accept: Do you have a dark myst named Errol? Please say you do -H

•Accept:

•Accept:

•Accept:

I didn't have a dark myst called Errol then, but I now have one called Errol Goodboy (from the first part of his pedigree name, Goodboy Bindle Featherstone!) Thanks for the idea...

I didn't have a dark myst called Errol then, but I now have one called Errol Goodboy (from the first part of his pedigree name, Goodboy Bindle Featherstone!) Thanks for the idea...

It's a pity you can't mate him with a female Red smile.gif