Dr. Paine

Description comments

I now what you mean, I haven't had a comment in a while, although I haven't had reject either, so it's partly good.

I must admit my comments tend to be negitive ones like 'You have flyinf for flying there.' I can never really think of much to say for a good description.

That's not negative - that's concrit - I usually add a smiley though to let the user know it's meant to be helpful not mean.

Except when I'm running out of space the I sometimes tell people to pm me on the forums for a more detailed beta smile.gif

I've got five descriptions pending, two for over a month...you'd think someone would have something to say about them. But no, blank accepts. dry.gif

and one weird reject with a rather obtuse comment...not sure what to say accepted.

Thank you, mods!

Edited by klinneah

I've got five descriptions pending, two for over a month...you'd think someone would have something to say about them. But no, blank accepts. dry.gif

and one weird reject with a rather obtuse comment...not sure what to say

Share maybe? Maybe we can figure it out together.

I think a lot of people just click accept when something looks good at first sight - I went through maybe 2 dozen descriptions right now, reading them carefully, correcting if necessary and leaving at least a 'nice smile.gif' if I couldn't find a fault. But that takes time - I had to take a break when letters began to swim before my eyes and I started majorly screwing up my typing. (OK it's late around here but still it takes some concentration.)

Cat Planet is a chicken and she flies like a chicken on a cat planet of cats that are on a planet. She's very energetic and has lots of energy just like a cat planet planet cat. Her dream is to one day go to the cat planet planet cat planet and live on the planet of the cats.

Accept:

Accept: 'cat planet planet cat planet'?! O.o

Yes. Cat planet planet cat planet. Cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet!

Prooth is one of the Math Magi, a group of mathematically-minded magi dragons, each with their own specialty. Her own focus is on truth - in particular, showing beyond any possible doubt that something is so or not so. Prooth works with all of the other Math Magi, hoping to inject more mathematical rigor into their research. She might be hard to work with at times, but the verification that yes, the results of long months of study can be shown to be true is well worth the hassle.

Accept: This is a good description, and there's probably mathematical proof to show it is true.

Accept:

Tenaedra has ruled the Court of Lost Dreams for centuries, along with her mate, Jadoran, and even she can barely remember a time when this was not so. Though somewhat kinder than her mate, she is far more capricious and whimsical, intervening for good or ill as the mood takes her. Tenaedra's strength is illusion magic, which she uses to lure and entrance her targets. Though she is susceptible to flattery, any dragon who tries to charm her will earn the wrath of Jadoran.

Accept: You know when I see a Mathcat one - I have to force myself to read it thoroughly instead of just waving it through, because I trust you biggrin.gif - But I did and couldn't find a fault smile.gif Herk

Accept:

(Given that I have, on multiple occasions, submitted the wrong description for a dragon, referred to a dragon by the wrong gender, submitted a description where all the hyphens and apostrophes got eaten, and failed to notice glaring typos until months later, I appreciate someone who takes the time to spot these things, because I clearly can't.)

Jokani has managed to, through a rather improbable combination of circumstances, live for a couple decades as a human without anyone suspecting anything was amiss. He took over for the reclusive gamekeeper for a local lord when said gamekeeper died, and as the lord had no particular taste for hunting, Jokani's contact with other humans is limited and something he controls. When he does need to interact with humans, he uses a combination of contorting, illusions, and fool-the-eye spells to disguise himself (it helps that, being unnaturally small for a magi, he's no taller than an average human when he rears up on his hind legs). Other dragons understandably think Jokani rather odd, but he values the chance to mingle with humanity without them knowing what he truly is.

Accept:

Accept: ... not bad dragon, not bad biggrin.gif

I think a lot of people just click accept when something looks good at first sight - I went through maybe 2 dozen descriptions right now, reading them carefully, correcting if necessary and leaving at least a 'nice smile.gif' if I couldn't find a fault. But that takes time - I had to take a break when letters began to swim before my eyes and I started majorly screwing up my typing. (OK it's late around here but still it takes some concentration.)

Heh. Well. If I come across a description that I see is grammatically and syntactically correct and describes the dragon but is "eh, okay", I accept without comment. So I might've been one of those blank accepters depending on what the description is about.

Cat Planet is a chicken and she flies like a chicken on a cat planet of cats that are on a planet. She's very energetic and has lots of energy just like a cat planet planet cat. Her dream is to one day go to the cat planet planet cat planet and live on the planet of the cats.

Yes. Cat planet planet cat planet. Cat planet cat planet cat planet cat planet!

Ooh. I enjoy figuring out complicated linguistic constructs. Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Heh. Well. If I come across a description that I see is grammatically and syntactically correct and describes the dragon but is "eh, okay", I accept without comment. So I might've been one of those blank accepters depending on what the description is about.

Yeah I did that, too - until Socks pointed out how much the comments help the mods with the approving process, so I now leave at least a nice smile.gif or an OK smile.gif (If the descrip is really not my cup of tea but perfectly alright with the rules)

One of my Ghost walkers got:

Reject: tg dragon! awww that's sweet <3

I think someone MIGHT have misclicked there wink.gif

Pumpkins love Variety got:

Accept: No need for quotation marks. That's his name. smile.gif

Thanks for this commenter - but I realized in some descriptions that names likes this tend to flow into the text if you don't separate them somehow, so I chose to add the quotation marks to make it more easily readable, and I think I'll stick to that smile.gif

Cain got

Nice Description I wonder how his siter treats him?

And this made my day:D

Accept: Okay, I just read about a cavern lurker who raises gold so he can sit in an inn to drink root beer so... Boogey Woogey isn't the strangest.

Accept: I want to see these guys dancing! ~D

I think Boogey Woogey is the only dragon I ever had who got a comment from every single accepter smile.gif

And now Woogey Boogey has:

Great job! It's actually really funny happy.gif

EDIT:

Got a couple of more 'nice's for my dragons and a

Accept: Poor wee lad
for my newly submitted Magi Trent

And I found the random rejecter again - he has visited 2 of my dragons - somehow I'm more amused than annoyed by this right now laugh.gif

Edit: I just got cuffed in the comments ^^:

Really good! *cuffs you just for fun* ~D

Edit: OMG - one of my Ghostwalkers (Aidan Forlorn) just got:

Great story herk! You are awesome smile.gif -Zara
Edited by herk

Description: Silly Emotions is so named due to her confusing emotions. Although she seems quite normal, underneath her guise is a troubling turbulence. As such, this Daydream dragon can be happy one day and miserable the next. Healers claim that she was born with a sort of internal imbalance and many have attempted to restore this balance. However, each suggested treatment was a temporary cure; they were like bandages to a wound that would not heal. Unable to find peace within herself, Silly Emotions would lapse in bouts of depression and anxiety while rising in joy and cheerfulness in irregular intervals. As the years pass by, Silly Emotions has become better adjusted to herself and has accepted her own oscillations. With more control over herself, Silly Emotions views the scars of her past as a dark age, but she has moved on since to value her own life, her friends, her family, and her mate. Once hindered by her emotions, Silly Emotions now uses them as the source of her creative energy.

Accept: That's beautiful. The only thing I have to say is in the 1st paragraph, it may read better as "so named". ~D

I changed it~ Thanks for whoever pointed that out; I reread it and it does sound better!

So I submitted my Splits...

Hanni und Nanni amused someone:

Accept: dragon polo, hehehe

Alice and Cecily got recognized:

Accept: Alice im Wunderland! smile.gif

And obviously by someone knowing I'm German or German themselves.

Destruction and Creation got two typos pointed out - OK confess that's you Lagie isn't it biggrin.gif

And a couple in some of the others (Delirium and Sanity, Death and Life)

Dream and Reality got:

Accept: Aww :c I can relate. Nice description!

and two corrections (I did type mopey, but my spellcheck insisted on taking the e away) - but I trust Lagie more than spellcheck.

Also that Lagie commenter liked Jack and Ianto - in hindsight I shouldn't have been suprised those two refused a female mate, should I?

Hermione's left head thinks that she's the most cleverest dragon hatchling in all the clan - unfortunately Hermione's right head has the exact same idea.

got

Abstain: Use either "most clever" or just "cleverest".

If this was you Lagie - I know, but Hermione doesn't wink.gif I sometimes put stuff like this in to immulate hatchie voice biggrin.gif

Hm someone else told me to delete 'most', too - so how do I make it clear that this was intentional?

That person also told me to

replace the hyphen with an em dash (—). This is really funny though! smile.gif

Thanks for the compliment and hyphens work - dashes don't wish is why I painstakingly undo the freakin' autocorrection of my open office program every time sad.gif

So Lagie you found the Wicked Witch ^^

Accept: *laughs out loud* Well done, herk!
Thank you very much biggrin.gif the other day when I was thinking about famous witches for my magis to name after she came to mind and I simply couldn't resist the dino reference.

Now I just have to find someone with a Dino named Dorothy to write a matching description (can't have Dorothy on the same scroll can we - the Witch might get her otherwise)

Edited by herk

Those were all me, herk! (Except the Dream & Reality one)

Hehehe. xd.png

Edited by Lagie

And this made my day:D

Accept: Okay, I just read about a cavern lurker who raises gold so he can sit in an inn to drink root beer so... Boogey Woogey isn't the strangest.

That was me. That sitting-in-a-bar cavern lurker was the quirkiest. laugh.gif

And this feller again:

Selachophobic has an intense fear of sharks. He thinks of them as rough-skinned evil monsters just waiting to rip his head off, even those small enough to sit on a finger. It took nearly a decade to convince him that forests are completely devoid of sharks.

Accept: But it only took him one second to realize deserts are free of sharks :3 I mean, where could they live? In the oil pools?

Bad Ass is called so not because she is tough and pulls off amazing stunts, but because she resembles a donkey with a long tail. The "Bad" is there because she's unruly and defies the wishes of her parents whenever possible. It takes the resident stone dragons and hellfire wyverns to keep an eye on her.

Accept: Good way to make the name a 100% kid-friendly biggrin.gif

Hee. Hee hee. That's the sole rating.

So Bad Ass was yours biggrin.gif

The kid friendly comment was mine wink.gif

My first comment in ages, and it's an American, telling me to miss out a U...

Is there a way to mark in my descriptions that I am, in fact British, and not just a bad speller and typo artist. (I am those things too, but I normally proofread.)

Seriously, I just accept American English and don't tell people to add a U or change that Z to an S.

Also got some unexplained rejects today, that's contributing to my complain reflex.

Well I'm German and we learn British spelling in school so I use that, too.

And yeah I got those 'corrections' too rolleyes.gif Not in recent times though huh.gif

I always think about this internet show (which I usually like) where some Americans spent half a minute to make fun of an Australian headline featuring the word 'pyjamas' going on about 'who in the world spells it that way?' and all I could think of was 'everyone but you, jackass.'

Edit: Because obviously we DON't learn spelling wink.gif

Edited by herk

I always think about this internet show (which I usually like) where some Americans spent half a minute to make fun of an Australian headline featuring the word 'pyjamas' going on about 'who in the world spells it that way?' and all I could think of was 'everyone but you, jackass.'

Well I can't think how pyjamas=news, and I'm afraid to ask how they'd spell it, but thanks for cheering me up.

The mods don't really pay attention to rejects for alternate spellings, KishaRa, so I wouldn't fret too much about it.

(And the alternate spelling is pajamas...)

Edited by Lagie

I do hate no comment rejects. I just try to ignore them. Usually they are outnumbered by accepts whether with or without comments. I have a couple of comments that made me blink.gif .

So Vhalely Surprised was a totally spoiled brat. It whined and cried, stomping around the cave every time it heard the word "NO". It behaved so badly that, apparently, it was finally stuck in this 'phase' of growing and has never developed beyond it. A whiny, impossible toddler forever.

got:

Abstain: do not use the word it, as the word is not very descriptive. However you do not have a gender for the dragon so I can very well understand it's use. Other than that, I do say this is an ok description

Accept:

Accept:

Don't use "it"!? Well, since the hatchling's breed description says, "Aww... It’s a cute baby dragon. Its eyes glow brightly at night, and it enjoys attacking insects and small animals." using it in its description seems utterly appropriate to me. And there is nowhere that I am aware of in the description guidelines that discourages the use of it.

And:

Egg Nog's favorite beverage is, unsurprisingly, egg nog. She can't get enough of this delightful concoction. Unfortunately, it is very difficult for her to steal it from the human settlement unnoticed, unless it is left cooling on a windowsill. Seeing her ethereal form in their kitchens has started some very odd stories circulating around town.

got:

Accept:

Abstain: I'm afraid egg nog wasn't invented in medieval times sad.gif

Accept:

Well, this mightbe a little iffy. Medieval times did have eggs, milk, sugar, and spices, and made mixed beverages, one of which was "posset" which may have been a forerunner of egg nog. But while we can't use mixers, blenders, or appliances in our descriptions, I would be surprised if a recipe like eggnog was rejected for this reason. If it is, I'll have to do something, I guess.

Well, this mightbe a little iffy. Medieval times did have eggs, milk, sugar, and spices, and made mixed beverages, one of which was "posset" which may have been a forerunner of egg nog. But while we can't use mixers, blenders, or appliances in our descriptions, I would be surprised if a recipe like eggnog was rejected for this reason. If it is, I'll have to do something, I guess.

I have descriptions that mention coffee so I'm sure eggnog should be fine!

(I'm amused by the person who told you to not use it putting it's when they meant its!)

I have a few:

As one of the members of a large family, Ruby KannaPuff inherited her mother's resourcefulness and her father's great sense of survival. Because of this, she was able to successfully survive by herself for many years of her life. She hopes to start a family and have children soon.

•Accept:

•Accept: Approvable

•Accept:

•Accept: WHOAH THIS DESCRIPTION IS SUPER EXCITINGLY AWESOME!!! biggrin.gif

•Accept:

_________

How sweet! wub.gif

_________

In his life, Noble BraveHeart has always been loved by the other female dragons. His sweet scent and romantic gestures has left his adoring followers mystified. He is also a true gentleman, frequently performing kind actions for others and always helping someone in need. Although his popularity with the ladies has increased, he is still waiting for the perfect soul mate to come into his life, and for the love between them to always grow.

•Accept:

•Accept: A lovely description! :-) Good Job!

•Accept:

•Accept:

•Accept:

________

Why thank you! biggrin.gif

________

Prepare For Takeoff is a quiet dragon who, as a child, was kidnapped and raised in dark magic. Knowing that he would never want to be anything he wasn't, he escaped his cruel master's grip and went off into the forests to search for a better opportunity in life. He was later moved into Arceus' cave, and found a loving mate in Lovely Gifts.

•Accept:

•Accept:

•Accept:

•Accept:

________

Any comments? sad.gif

________

Kuna AquaTread has always been a peaceful dragon in his lifetime, calmly strolling the waters and keeping the fishes around him company. Coming from an extensive family, he hopes fate will allow him to one day cross paths with them again.

•Accept:

•Accept:

•Accept:

_______

I know it's short, but no comments? dry.gif

Well... I've got two. So far they've been, as I put it, "Sitting in Purgatory" Because the accepts, abstains, Rejects have just... Stopped coming... And there for, nothing happens.

Equis's Desc:

Equus Alae was one of Raayven's first. She knew this. She's seen dragons come and go, but she's lasted through. Her preferred past time was running, though she could take flight at a moments thought. Often, she was used as Raayven's transportation to the caves, to pick up new 'siblings' as she called them.

Equus has seen Raayven's 'collection' grow, from a few to enough to inhabit a small valley, but takes each in turn... Save for the Vampire Raayven seems to adore. Often, Equus would be found trying to guard the eggs, so the parents, or Egg sitters could go hunt for themselves.

There's only been one other that has seen through the seasons. When she's not running, guarding, or being used as transportation, she's often seen sitting at the edge of the water, contently relaxing with her aquatic 'brother'.

It ended up getting one funny one, and one that made me blink.

The funny one, right after I fixed the Desc:

Accept: I JUST READ THIS 5 MINS AGO. Dx Very nice, can't find anything wrong with it.

The more recent?

Abstain: 'has seen through the seasons' seems off to me (but I'm not a native speaker so maybe that's it) otherwise OK

Call me old fashion, but I've always liked "Through the seasons," over "Over the years."

Also, another of my poor ones that are stuck in purgatory...

My vampire.

Sanguinis Donum was a gift. He knew it, but was content in the life of his new caretaker. Had been with her since hatching. Being a Vampire dragon, he had no interest in breeding. No interest in the 'joys' that daylight supposedly brought. He preferred to spend his nights with the other Nocturnal dragons his Caretaker has managed to receive, or find.

Vampire as he was, it was obvious that the other dragons were nervous with him around. They would guard their eggs fiercely. He knew his caretaker preferred to feed him, so he often pays little attention to new eggs, unless they are set next to him. His Caretaker calls him Lucky. His first bite created another of his kind, though the other dragon's cast it aside in their discomfort.

Vampire or not, nocturnal or not, he is quite content in the care of his caretaker, And honestly wouldn't have it any other way. His caretaker, actually one of the few things that brings a smile to his face, due to her adoration.

Only accept explanation the poor guy got was:

Accept: Looks like you put some effort into this. Good enough as it is.

Five unexplained accepts, and one Unexplained Reject... :|

At least the reject could have been like "Yada this is bad yada". Constructive criticism ftw!

The more recent?

Abstain: 'has seen through the seasons' seems off to me (but I'm not a native speaker so maybe that's it) otherwise OK

Call me old fashion, but I've always liked "Through the seasons," over "Over the years."

That was actually me and it wasn't the 'Through the seasons' part rubbing me the wrong way (it was just there to identify the sentence more easily), the grammar in that sentence seems off to me. Sorry if I didn't make myself clearer unsure.gif

Like I said not a native speaker, but the flow of that sentence (not the expression - that's lovely) doesn't seem right.

I didn't want to nitpick or anything, but it bugged me so I thought to point it out as constructive feedback wink.gif

I didn't want to nitpick or anything, but it bugged me so I thought to point it out as constructive feedback wink.gif

Oh, no worries. Explained that way, it's understandable. I was just thinking, due to how it was worded in the abstain, that you just didn't like that term. ^^'

I got this:

Many a dragon has woken up with a rather silly-looking mustache drawn in charcoal across their snouts. Velidrya is to blame. She enjoys pranking other dragons, but only with stunts they will find as hilarious as she does, and drawing mustaches on sleeping victims is a favorite. However she is a terrible lier and usually the first to give it away whenever she plans something big, and if she manages not to say anything, her uncontrollable outburst of laughter is a sure sign.

Comments:

• Accept: Hilarious!
  • Abstain: ("She is a terrible liar".) "Maaaan, she drew a 'stache on me AGAIN. What's it with her obsession with humans' facial hair?" biggrin.gif
  • Accept: Very silly
(I actually didn't expect this to get this much feedback, because I'm not the greatest comedy writer. But all the same, that second comment made me laugh so hard. xd.png) Edited by HawktalonOfRiverClan

Silas is an interesting fellow, to say the very least. With expressions that range from frightening to downright comical, he can either be intimidating, hilarious, or really adorable depending on his company. He's grumpy in every sense of the word, having glares and scowls that can kill lesser dragons. He thoroughly likes to pretend that he hates everyone and everything, even when he's secretly having a good time and enjoying the company of others, because he has a reputation to uphold! As a rule, he detests being touched, and gets hostile with even the lightest brush of body contact. If Silas lets someone touch him without freaking out, it means something good. If he actually touches someone of his own free will that's when you know you're well and truly in his good graces. He hasn't had the easiest life ever; his childhood was downright terrible, but when someone gets to know him, he's a loyal friend to the end and will defend that person with his very life.

Accept: Very fitting personality. smile.gif I like it.

Accept: Very nice, Wolfsong. ~D

Accept:

I think I've been found out.

Accept: Very fitting personality. smile.gif I like it.

Accept: Very nice, Wolfsong. ~D

Accept:

I think I've been found out.

I like it, too. It's a very well done description for him :]