Dr. Paine

Description comments

From Avanish:

I originally typed it on a word document and copied and pasted it on the thing. Guess I'll be retyping some of it from now on.

In order for the quote marks to show up when you are writing the description in a Word document, you have to use “straight” quotes as opposed to those curly ones (“smart” quotes). Try using Word Pad. You may have better luck. Just make sure if you save it before you post it as a description, save it as rich text format rather than as a Word document.

And, yes, covet is a verb and cannot be used in place of the noun covetousness. Covetousness is an odd word, but once you get your tongue around it, it’s kind of pretty.

For my Pillow description:

Watch Foofaloof as she lays there kicking and listen to her uproarious laughter. It isn't because all the small animals that have gathered in her coat tickle her. It is because after she has crushed and broken all these critters, she will easily shake them from her coat, and gather up the broken, bleeding bodies to snack on before returning to her nap.

I got this comment, which I loooovve:

Accept: O.o I'm not sure whether it is funny or gross, or whether I like her at all...

For my Pillow description:

I got this comment, which I loooovve:

Accept: O.o I'm not sure whether it is funny or gross, or whether I like her at all...

Hmmm.... Did you have another description about a dragon hiding things in a Pillow's coat?

As soon as I saw an adult Pillow, I got a couple ideas for descriptions, all my Pillow descriptions are variations on those themes:

Dawn Glow and Lavender Jade are quite fascinated by Fluffy Bunny's long coat. They sit by Fluffy Bunny for long hours while he is sleeping, gossiping while they brush his coat. They sometimes braid large swathes of the fur, or curl it, or decorate it with feathers, flowers, or whatever comes to hand (or mind). When Fluffy Bunny wakes, they disappear, only to return when he naps again. For Fluffy Bunny's part, when he wakes, he is too hungry and too busy hunting to notice the state his fur is in. Though large braids and some decorations do sometimes make lumps that he finds it uncomfortable to sleep on.

While Fluffalump is sleeping, numbers of small animals gather in his coat for warmth and protection. When he wakes, he shakes all of these intruders out of his coat, then catches each, gobbling them down before falling back to sleep.

Which got the comment:

Accept: Very cute. happy.gif

While Puff 'n Stuff is sleeping, numbers of small animals gather in her coat for warmth and protection. When she wakes, she carefully shakes all of these intruders out of her coat, then lumbers off to hunt.

And of course, Foofaloof's.

The other two got several blank accepts. They've all been awaiting moderator approval for quite some time.

I am mildly annoyed about this one:

I have two accepts

# Accept: Very original and well written!

# Accept:

- and a

Reject: Bad spelling work on it.

Except that it is UK spelling - what the *** ?

I would be more than slightly annoyed myself. I read through it twice and did not find anything mis-spelled. I am a spelling/grammar freak too.

Accept: Disturbed dragon is disturbed... and scary...

happy.gif *hands a muffin to unknown commenter*

I'm excited biggrin.gif

I just got around to describing some of my dragons.

Green Nebula:

Firefly, just as all nebula dragons, is constantly on the move in search of a permanent mate. His playful and curious nature often leads him to explore the fields and grasslands of the alpine home he hatched from, tormenting the firefly population with his dazzling wing patterns. Younger and less flashy than the more dominant, "cave-raised" nebula dragons, Firefly is covered in superficial scars and healed wounds from failed attempts to win his chosen female's heart over another.

Red Nebula:

Keahi is a solitary sort of nebula dragon in that she is one of a handful that call the Hawaiian islands home. She is more commonly seen perching on the long dormant volcano of Hualalai, gazing for hours at a time at the galaxies and stars above. Her vibrant colors and brilliant patterns often inaccurately suggest she is a fire-thriving species, and the natives of the area thus named her Keahi, meaning "Fire" in Hawaiian. During volcanic eruptions, she is often spotted flying behind the flames, watching helplessly in vain as the villagers scatter to avoid disaster.

I just got back to writing descriptions and this is the first comment I get. My only response is, really!?

For my ice dragon Holly:

Holly is brave, passionate, and a skilled magic user. At a young age she was brought into the Anu clan council, and she is one of a small number of female members. On a daily basis she has to fight for the respect of the boys, to prove that she does indeed belong.  Even more astonishing is the fact that she is the only female reconnaissance flyer. She is responsible for scouting from the air and reporting back to the council during the clan war. Holly is also fiercely loyal to her friends and family. Though she is unsure how she feels about the constant pain in her hide, a hatchling that was both friend and enemy. Members of the clan forget how completely cold she can be when she feels that she has been wronged. She can create a wind that chills a being to their core, a very real reminder of her anger. She is an unrelenting fighter against the rebellion, a true asset to the clan.

Reject: Shorten it. Too long.

I'm 100 characters short of hitting the limit. I'm a writer, so what if I like to tell a story.

I'm quite surpriced with one of comments someone wrote to me;

Overprotective, kind and the guardian of earth.

Since the day Blezz hatched from his egg, he has always been overprotective. He has always hated to see others get hurt  especially because of his own mistakes  so he always tries to make sure everyone is safe from danger. From a cliff over the valley he always keeps an eye on the hatchlings when they play, even though he knows that others keep an eye on them as well.

Sometimes he forgets how strong he is when it comes to his powers over the earth. And sometimes when he jumps down from cliffs he creates small earthquakes, even though he didn't intend to create them. Some thinks he's clumsy, but the truth is that he's too strong for his caring personality.

He's often seen in the company of the guardian dragons, not only because they're close friends, but also because he's the guardian of earth. So he protects the grounds from intruders.

Accept: keep writing ones like these and you will be very popular

I never imagined that someone would say something like that to me.

Killjoy, often also called "little freak" or "get away before I kick you out", is simply a typical misfit pygmy dragon. Even being banished from the clan didn't stop him from spreading chaos there, either hanging around the nest or roaming about the main cave. For some reason, he seems to have a particular habit of targetting the nestkeepers and Mariel the black dragonness. He won't waste a single chance to make fun of them or otherwise spoil their lives.

Accept: I think this is my favourite description ever.

happy.gif

Took a long break from describing (in my defense, I was very busy) but just yesterday I described most of my tinsels and their mates.

"Dorkface", Gold Male Tinsel.

Dorkface, descendant from the illustrious lines of Midas Dorkface and Gold Epica, is nothing short of a disgrace to his lineage. Despite his golden hide and successful production thus far of a single gold egg, he is still shunned by his ancestors. One might ask why. Well, it's quite simple. Almost too simple, in fact. He believes he's a carrot.

Now, he may have been sired by an unusually large, pink carrot, but that gives him no excuse to hobble around, taunting the white dragons, trying to get them to try and eat him. No dragon family wants to be related to a golden "carrot" nutcase. For this same very reason, he was denied a first name, unlike all the others in his heritage, and is simply referred to as "Dorkface".

# Accept: End of first paragraph: LOLWHUT?? Wow. Don't let him near "He eats a carrot," nor any male offspring thereof! X-D

# Accept: LOL carrot dragon xd.png

"Pwn'd" Female Bronze Tinsel

Pwn'd may be a bit stuck up, but at least no one will ever accuse her of being boring.

She has the darnest of luck and intelligence to boot; however, she also has the common sense comparable to a baby pygmy. She tries to go around solving the problems of others in the cave for them, often causing fights and general moodiness with her bulldozing. Everyone agrees her ideas are unusual and often brilliant, but just aren't practical. For instance, she wants to create a floating cave by capturing and binding thousands of wild daydream dragons. The green dragons in the cave are all for teaching those dreamy suckers a lesson, but then her mate pointed out they just didn't have the numbers or ability to accomplish such a task. Stubborn as she is, she just can't accept this and still claims it's an excellent plan.

# Abstain: "darndest"? ...hrh that still doesn't look right but it sounds right. How DO you spell that?

I think they're right about the spelling, I will have to change that. It IS a strange word though. Darndest. 0_o

Now to give the rest of them descriptions... *sigh*

Edited by Pink

/flops into thread

Mathcat, your dragons and world are epic.

Pink, go write moar descriptions right now. So funny. <3

I must have approved over 150 between you two alone and there are still thousands left to go through omg. x.x

Well scratch that, closer to over 300.

Edited by NixAyum

Pink, go write moar descriptions right now. So funny. <3

Well, maybe I should.

If the mod with 1,000s of descriptions left to do is telling me to write more... It must be a sign.

*nods wisely*

Gemma, or Princess Gemma as Jack still refers to her sometimes, has always been shy of meeting new dragons. Sometimes she would even run into the forest to avoid her parents if they were too pushy with her. It was on one of those occasions that she accidentally discovered the home of the drakes. Fascinated by their almost dragon-like appearance and behaviour, she started to study them and eventually, finding them to be reasonably intelligent, to train them.

Gemma's parents believe this to be an unnatural obsession, especially after she expressed her wish not to seek a mate. Every so often they will try to match her to one male or another, but so far they have been without success.

Self-appointed guardian of the Clementine drakes, Gemma is very protective over her charges. Despite this, her passion is so strong that she is eager to share her unique insights with any passerby, whether they like it or not. But with such an energetic attitude, it's hard not to share her enthusiasm.

Accept: Nice wink.gif

That one made me happy, and then made me chuckle as I remembered that it's similar to what I say when I can't think of anything else. laugh.gif

Yea, this was the first description I ever wrote when I first started, just figured out how to see the description comments and stuff lol so here it is. 2 of the comments were... well, I don't agree with them.

Azureus was adopted by a wonderful Human who named him after the stunning blue color of his scales. As a hatchling, he had confidence issues because contrary to popular belief about Water dragons, Azureus was not the amazing swimmer others expected him to be. He despised the water and wished everyday that he could live on land again as he did when he was a hatchling. Much time has passed since those days. Azureus' Human taught him to love and appreciate himself and his environment. Unlike his other Water dragon friends, he had to practice swimming every single day but practice really did make perfect. He absolutely loves his home in the water now, and he loves swimming! Not only does he love it, he is one of the best swimmers in his community. He participates in local swimming competitions and places at least top four in all of them.

The comments:

*Moderator Reject: As water dragons live in the water as soon as they hatch, the first part doesn't make a lot of sense. Remember to stay true to breed descriptions!

Yes, I totally forgot about the part about them hatching in the water when I wrote this. Please don't comment on that part. I know.

*Reject: thats physically impossible for WATER dragons to not like WATER!

Umm, actually it's not? It's my description, my story, the breed description doesn't say all Water dragons love the water b/c they're born in it. That's like saying it's impossible for Asian people to not play instruments. In the description it says it was only in the beginning that he didn't like the water. It's like an ugly duckling type scenario.

*Accept:

*Reject: I'd take out the year you adopted your dragon, conflicting with setting. And you may want to read description guidelines.

Nowhere in the description does it say when I adopted him?

"When Water dragons mature, they lose the ability to survive on land, entering the water permanently. They are adept swimmers and eat whatever fish are in the lake they live in. They tend to inhabit the same lake for their entire lives, although a few live in the ocean and swim all over the world."

"Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. It enjoys swimming in a nearby pond.

And look! Its fins and tail have gotten bigger, and you've moved it to a larger body of water to swim in. It must be close to maturing."

I wouldn't say there's anything drastically wrong with your description. It seems like the hatchling would be in and out of the water at first, gradually spending more time swimming until they live in the water permenantly. And don't worry about the last reject. It might have been an idiot or maybe someone just got confused. Anyway, it says the hatch date etc. on the dragons' page so I think DC is probably set in a different universe, rather than our own past.

Edited by vegetariancannibal

I think they're right about the spelling, I will have to change that. It IS a strange word though. Darndest. 0_o

Now to give the rest of them descriptions... *sigh*

I've seen it spelt both ways, so I googled.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/darndest

darnedest [ˌdɑːndɪst]

n

a euphemistic word for damnedest

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/...t&sa=Search#922

... Date "Darndest" was first used in popular English literature: sometime before 1896. ...

Common Expressions: darndest

Kids Say the Darndest Things is a TV Show hosted by Bill Cosby and co-hosted by Art Linkletter. ...

http://www.anagrammer.com/scrabble/darndest

In which Scrabble dictionary does darndest exist?

dictionary exists? score

Scrabble (US/Canada) Yes! 10

Scrabble (UK) Yes! 10

Words with friends Yes! 11

Lexulous (US/Canada) Yes! 11

Lexulous (UK) Yes! 11

Definitions of Darndest in dictionaries:

* n - The greatest degree or amount

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/darndest

darndest

Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary

Jump to: navigation, search

[edit] English

[edit] Noun

darndest (uncountable)

1. Alternative spelling of darnedest.

So there are, apparently, two acceptable spelling for 'darnedest/darndest', and you shouldn't have to change your description.

I had the funniest comment on this when it was pending-

Belt Of Deltora (female silver Thuwed Tinsel)

Tora, a beautiful dragon with intricate silver scales descended from the Thuweds, is calm and graceful. She is strong, honorable, lucky, faithful, hopeful, happy, and truthful. These qualities make her well-loved in 5ilence's cave, and she is one of its greatest defenders. She gathers treasure, but shares it among her clanmates, only keeping seven huge and wondrous gems for herself- a diamond, an emerald, a lapis, a topaz, an opal, a ruby, and an amethyst. She wears these gems in her scales always, and never lets them out of her sight.

The comment was, capitalized exactly like this-

Reject: People Dont Like To Read REally Long Descriptions

...I have no words. The description is approved now, apparently people DO like to Read REally Long Descriptions.

Tora, a beautiful dragon with intricate silver scales descended from the Thuweds, is calm and graceful. She is strong, honorable, lucky, faithful, hopeful, happy, and truthful. These qualities make her well-loved in 5ilence's cave, and she is one of its greatest defenders. She gathers treasure, but shares it among her clanmates, only keeping seven huge and wondrous gems for herself- a diamond, an emerald, a lapis, a topaz, an opal, a ruby, and an amethyst. She wears these gems in her scales always, and never lets them out of her sight.

...I have no words. The description is approved now, apparently people DO like to Read REally Long Descriptions.

Wut? Most of mine are about twice as long as that, and it would be hard to write a good description that's much shorter. laugh.gif

So there are, apparently, two acceptable spelling for 'darnedest/darndest', and you shouldn't have to change your description.

I agree. I get spelling crits quite frequently as I spell in UK English - people have corrected me for using practise as the verb, and colour, centre and so on.

When the approvals come through they are allowed to stand, and TJ even posted supportively once when I was muttering about this !

I would have spelt it darndest, myself.

"When Water dragons mature, they lose the ability to survive on land, entering the water permanently. They are adept swimmers and eat whatever fish are in the lake they live in. They tend to inhabit the same lake for their entire lives, although a few live in the ocean and swim all over the world."

"Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. It enjoys swimming in a nearby pond.

And look! Its fins and tail have gotten bigger, and you've moved it to a larger body of water to swim in. It must be close to maturing."

I wouldn't say there's anything drastically wrong with your description. It seems like the hatchling would be in and out of the water at first, gradually spending more time swimming until they live in the water permenantly. And don't worry about the last reject. It might have been an idiot or maybe someone just got confused. Anyway, it says the hatch date etc. on the dragons' page so I think DC is probably set in a different universe, rather than our own past.

Ahh thank you. See I new I wasn't crazy.

I got the comment "Long, but awesome" on one of my shortest Vamp descriptions, with maybe three and a half lines instead of my usual eight or nine lines. Some people just don't like to read, and don't understand that some of us really enjoy the reading, the writing and the wonderful little stories told in these descriptions. What I don't understand is why someone who doesn't like reading would bother running through the description reviews. Must be a masochist.