Dr. Paine

Description comments

Unfolded, this little paper dragon forms half of a map showing the ancient land called Alba. There are small pictures of dragons representing the packs and families inhabiting the continent. Off the western coast live three families of Thunder, Electric and Storm dragons. Together they cause the rainy storms often passing over the rest of the land. Their neighbours are various Two-Headed dragons; with two personalities per dragon, they make a lively bunch. Around a deep cave to the east live the dragons one had best avoid - Vampires, Cavern Lurkers and all things evil. In the north-east gather several rare and mysterious breeds, spreading the holiday cheer. Along the bottom of the map is a ridge of mountains and volcanoes, marking the geological border with the continent of Northymbra.

User Comments

Abstain: I thought continents were seperated by water.

Accept: Nice way to explain the layout of your Cave smile.gif I like the idea of using paper dragons as maps. ~Storm

Accept:

Accept:

Regarding the first comment: not necessarily smile.gif

user posted image

Edited by Mirhana

"How many continents does Earth have" is as difficult to answer satisfactorily as "How many countries are there". xd.png

"There are unnecessary spaces between the period and the start of the next sentence."

Did they ever... ever go to school? I mean... how can they even read at all...

Tell me they still teach that two spaces follow the period ending a sentence for clarity?

Tell me they still teach that two spaces follow the period ending a sentence for clarity?

They don't, at least at my school...

Edited by BananaGummyBear64

I was taught to use exactly one space between words, regardless of the surrounding punctuation. Multiple spaces are always an eyesore to me.

"There are unnecessary spaces between the period and the start of the next sentence."

Did they ever... ever go to school?  I mean... how can they even read at all...

I was never taught that. Do you live in America? I don't know much about grammar rules in other countries, but it's not expected or wanted here.

Edited by Oasis

Multiple spaces are always an eyesore to me.

They are to me too. I only learned that people are supposed to use two spaces yesterday...

This gap. Here.

Or this gap. Here.

The bottom one looks weird.

EDIT: Why is the double space invisible?

Edited by BananaGummyBear64

Why is the double space invisible?

Double spaces are usually invisible in forums to prevent people from making a post consisting entirely of spaces. The double spaces are still visible in edit mode, though, even after you've posted.

A double space goes after a period that ends a sentence for clarity to show that the sentence ended, it's not an ellipses, and that it's not an abbreviation. It's similar to comma rules I suppose where some people throw commas all around if they think there should be a pause instead of using commas to link two separate sentences. Depending on who's grading your paper you could get an F but no one knows the actual rule outside of those circumstances...

They are to me too. I only learned that people are supposed to use two spaces yesterday...

This gap. Here.

Or this gap.  Here.

The bottom one looks weird.

EDIT: Why is the double space invisible?

Spaces between sentences

The old typographical superstition that it’s proper to use two spaces after a sentence should be laid to rest. Virtually every major style guide recommends a single space, and most major publishers and publications comply. If you don’t believe us, take any book off the shelf or visit any editorially scrupulous website and look closely at the spacing. Chances are good you will find no double spaces between sentences.

The two-space “rule” came about thanks to the monospaced type used by mid-20th-century typewriters. Because monospaced type (i.e., type in which every character occupies the same amount of space) has a uniform appearance, the double-space between sentences broke up the text and made it easier to read.

In computerized word processing, the only widely used monospaced font is Courier. All others are designed with proper proportion between letters, and double-spacing does not necessarily make the text more readable. In fact, having a huge chunk of space between sentences can be distracting and aesthetically offputting. Plus, double spacing takes more time.

If you have a teacher who won’t give up the double-space superstition, there’s nothing you can do but go along with it for the sake of your grade. But don’t let it become a habit outside that class.

(source)

I found many other websites that said it wasn't proper. Tl;dr: One space goes after a period in modern day English, unless you're using a monospaced font, and even then, it is questionable.

(additional source)

(the wiki says the correct way is unclear)

Edited by Oasis

"How many continents does Earth have" is as difficult to answer satisfactorily as "How many countries are there". xd.png

Okay, maybe I should have called them tectonic plates rather than continents xd.png

Also, I've never known anyone using two spaces after a period until I started reviewing descriptions, lol.

Did they ever... ever go to school?  I mean... how can they even read at all...

I learned that you had to put two spaces after a sentence, too. Now I just do it habitually, and whenever I submit a description I get a bunch of people telling me I shouldn't. xd.png Oh well, it's too ingrained in my mind for me to stop. Either way, I don't believe most people put double spaces after a sentence anymore. Until about 2 years ago I didn't either really.

Edited by Absyrtus

This conversation comes up again every so often. Using double spaces is an acceptable style for descriptions, so reviewers shouldn't be Rejecting based on that. If there's only one sentence with a double space and the rest of them in the paragraph are single spaced, then I will point it out on the basis of consistency and the fact that it looks like a typo. Otherwise, don't worry about it. smile.gif

-edit because ugh, words

Edited by Dimar

Hmm? Omastar? You mean Lord Helix? ninja.gif

Yeah, that's the one, though I've always been an Arceusist myself.

*cough* Back on topic..

While gruff on the outside, this dragon has a not-often-seen humorous side, usually reserved for his mate. His combat skills are average, but he makes up for that with a fierce dedication to training. As a young dragon, he always knew that he wanted to join the cave's scouting patrol, and so after finishing the initial training the captain of that squad took him in. Now he and his mate, who also joined the scouts, though she isn't much of a fighter, travel beyond the boundaries of their owner's cave to bring back various resources.

User Comments

•Accept:

•Accept:

•Accept: *vomits rainbows*

•Accept:

Um, is that supposed to be a compliment? blink.gif

Edited by Denwayasha

Double spaces used to cause problems in descriptions giving them strange A A's with accents (I'll post a link once I find the one I have that has it in it!). That no longer happens so double spaces are not a problem (though I will generally comment "Double spacing could cause problems, but otherwise fine" and Accept!).

For the record, I double space in real life when I'm typing! wink.gif That's how my mother taught me. She was a legal secretary for years then a script typist, back in the days when electric typewriters were still a newfangled idea!

Found it - Â Â

Edited by Lagie

Hmm? Omastar? You mean Lord Helix? ninja.gif

When I heard people using the term, I thought it was the cutest thing and had to do a dragon with an appropriate description. <3

*GASP* Mouse here.

King Galletian Redstone got his name from his parents, Queen Redstone and Galletian Sunbeam. His first ever name was Sunny Redstone, but was changed to Prince Gallatien Redstone upon revealing his gender. He is very competitive, and hates the cold. His parents abandoned his egg, so he is very shy towards humans and hostile to other adults, except King Jackson Marii. King Jackson Marii is his only dragon friend.

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: Cool! So you play minecraft?

Accept:

Um, obviously not. Read it again, please.

A calm and laid-back dragon, Lotta Things is the twenty second member of the Trial By Music Clan.

Her song is a rather comical one, in which a southern individual gives her take on what happened the night the murder occurred. Though, there are some serious parts, when the major antagonist speaks, but, otherwise, it remains upbeat. However, this is until the ending, where a contradiction wasn't found and a verdict was almost handed down... until the assistant's sudden outburst bought the protagonist an extra chance. In the re-telling, he finds what he's looking for. Her song requires six singers.

Off-stage, Lotta is often seen talking with the Photographer clan or with locals near the current performance site. She also oversees the mapping committee and often helps in stage-hand work.

Description Comments:

Accept: These TBM descriptions are really interesting. Are they a reference to something?

Thanks. ^^ And, to answer your question, yes. They're a reference to a fan-made musical project. The project was called Turnabout Musical and was based off the first Ace Attorney game. Sadly, the musical fell through the cracks a year ago, so all that's left is the music from the almost-completed production.

For Treborn, a female Neglected.

Called insane by all other dragons in the territory, Treborn seems almost schizophrenic at first glance. She will speak about alternate timelines branched off by a single choice, and her supposed "ability" to go back in time and alter important events. According to her, this dragon's adventures include such events as getting her forelegs blown up and Fricai killing a young hatchling Treborn had been friends with. Obviously none of these are the case.

Treborn has frequent headaches and nosebleeds, some of which precede seizures. A White that examined her has diagnosed her with acute and irreversible brain damage, and finds it incredible that she still has use of her fine motor skills. He keeps her under close watch as she screams for journals she has supposedly written (despite not being able to hold a quill) while no such notebooks exist.

Something that baffles everyone, however, is a strange burn scar on her lower abdomen. It clearly dates back years, but nobody has seen it before...

User Comments

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Waiting warmly for someone to get the reference...

For a female red dragon:

Scarlatina cocked her head to the side and looked at her reflection in the mirror. She didn't even remember from where she had got this gorgeous oval mirror with a decorative golden frame,  but she was sure that it had been a part of her hoard for many decades.

She wasn't a beauty and she was aware of that. Her snout was too wide for her taste, her neck was rather short and lacked the graceful curve, not to mention her massive stature that would be more suitable for a male. She also had a few missing scales on her back and a couple of scars, though not as many as her warrior mate.

Maybe that was the cause of her fondness for elegant pieces of art. Other red dragons couldn't comprehend her strange need to surround herself with so many impractical objects such as marble sculptures or porcelain vases. Scarlatina couldn't comprehend it either - she knew only that whenever she was looking at those things, so perfect in their beauty, she forgot for a while about her own imperfection.

User comments:

Abstain: had gotten (not got; or maybe use had found?) ----

Accept:

Umm... English isn't my first language, but "had got" looks right to me. I use UK spelling.

For some mysterious reason, I can't use question marks in my descriptions. What's wrong?

Edited by Aurigena

For some mysterious reason, I can't use question marks in my descriptions. What's wrong?

List of Allowed Characters: !"'(),-.:;0-9a-zA-Z, space and line break

Those are only the ones you can use and as you can see question marks are not on the list

Edited by lollipop00

@Aurigena: "had gotten" is correct. I think you're mixing up "he/she/it got" with "he/she/it had gotten". smile.gif

English is weird sometimes.

Flame has the longest lineage that I have seen in a dragon. There is longer, I bet, but this is my longest-lineaged dragon that I own.

Flame is a very regal dragon. She is part of the 12th generation of thuwed dragons descending from Tu0thoum Thuwed and Jidhajo Thuwed, and the 15th generation descending from The Original Midas Dorkface and The Original Shallyna'ar. She has had one egg with her friend Flare, but abandoned it soon after laying it. She and Flare are not mates, and the egg they had together was just an accident. It is behind them now, as Flame refuses to mate with any dragon and Flare refuses to talk about the egg.

Flame Dorkwed and Flare Rine's egg is somewhere safe in the universe of dragons and dragon tamers. No one has seen it since they abandoned it, but Flame has a mother's intuition that it is safe with a kind master.

Accept:

Accept: Yep. Eggy's in good hands with Dimar!

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Why do I feel that Dimar wrote that?

And to explain the description: I was trying out something new where they love each other but can't. I like writing romance thingies, deal with it.

This Paper appears to be folded from pieces of parchment torn out of an old manuscript. It seems to have been a story book, as a title can be seen in clear but handsome red capitals: "A Tale of Twelve Dragons". How the book came to be torn apart and how this enchanted little dragon was made out of it is unknown, but listen closely and it may recount some of its tales.

User Comments

Accept:

Accept: A dragon version of the Twelve Dancing Princesses, perhaps? Great, now I want to write twelve descriptions to have twelve dancing dragons on my scroll... ~SB

It isn't I'm afraid, I had actually forgotten all about that tale until you mentioned it! smile.gif I'm working on a story spread out over twelve different dragons that meet the description guidelines while still being a coherent story when read throughout. Still need to collect a few dragons before the rest pops up though!

Why do I feel that Dimar wrote that?

And to explain the description: I was trying out something new where they love each other but can't. I like writing romance thingies, deal with it.

Haha, I didn't write it but I do have their baby! The reviewer must have checked to see who owned it. It's a good description, nothing wrong with romance. wink.gif