Dr. Paine

Description comments

@Herk: I've had dragons with the word "hell" in them approved before, so you're definitely in the clear... although you probably already knew that. xd.png

@Herk: I've had dragons with the word "hell" in them approved before, so you're definitely in the clear... although you probably already knew that. xd.png

Indeed I did - after all we have Hellhorses wink.gif

I just had to put it out there in the vague hope that the commenters saw this - after all direct communication isn't possible (and probably won't be according to TJ in your suggestion thread).

Edited by herk

I do have a description that was changed from "annoying as hell" to "annoying as heck". So it might depend on the approving mod.

I do have a description that was changed from "annoying as hell" to "annoying as heck". So it might depend on the approving mod.

If it isn't censored here I sure would be annoyed if it got changed mad.gif

Anyway

Jelly loves pretty things and she doesn't care in the least if a pretty, sparkly thing is considered valuable by others or not. Her hoard contains pearls, pieces of sea shells, pretty pebbles, dragon scales, magpie feathers, and jewels in equal parts. Her favourite thing is a crystalline water basin and a small flask of petra oleum. If she puts a small drop of the smelly stuff unto the water, she gets the most pretty colours imaginable shining in the sun's rays.

Got:

Abstain: petra oleum? Petroleum, do you mean?

Accept: Petra oleum? lol ~D

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

petra oleum = stone oil

It's the ORIGIN of the modern term petroleum, which is why I explicitly used the "olden form". No I didn't mean 'petroleum' or rather I did but I meant to use a word which felt more setting appropriate... (seriously am I the only one who remembers their Asterix?)

BTW anonymous reviewer on June Carter: "hugest" is the superlative of "huge" and therefore a proper word

I also have two other cases of people "correcting" my BE...

Well to end on a positive note smile.gif

Coin Operated Dragon

COD refuses to do anything until he is properly "wound up". He claims to be in fact a complicated mechanical contraception powered by magics and steam that regularly needs small sacrifices of precious metal to keep the magic working flawlessly. As long as he regularly gets gold or silver coins put into his mouth (which he later spits out and adds to his hoard) he is the perfect dragon companion and does everything that is asked of him without discussion or protest.

Accept: Love the name!

Accept: Love it! xd.png -DH

Accept:

Accept: I'm curious what he does if you stop giving him gold and silver. (Not that you should change the description any - the mystery is good.)

And honestly - thanks to EVERYONE who takes the time to look at descriptions and leaves a few (nice) words smile.gif

Edited by herk

Everyone who's rejected my dragons' descriptions has cited one of two things.

One, I didn't describe my dragon. Which I absolutely did. Read the whole thing before you comment.

Two, I referenced a real-world medieval figure. I'm not to reference real medieval things or else I'll be rejected.

Now, about this second one. Is it true? Because it sure as heck doesn't say so here:

http://dragcave.net/help/descriptions

I followed the only applicable guideline, "This site takes place in a medieval setting."

EDIT: Nope, just checked more of my descriptions and a comment from a moderator clearly indicated that my description was not against the rules. So I had several people tell me my description would be rejected by a moderator because I had broken a rule that does not exist.

Awesome job, description evaluators. Absolutely awesome.

Edited by La Draco

About the real-world medieval figures: that's always been something we considered against the rules, I think based on Sock's posts of extended description guidelines that were deleted when she stopped being in charge of DescripForce (sadly, they had a lot of good info). So most of us have kept that original rule in our heads, and it's only recently that Sock stated time-appropriate figures are okay. She still suggested swapping a couple of letters to be on the safe side, though. So that rule is going to be a bit sticky for a while.

I'm really curious about how you got a comment from a mod on your description, though... unless you mean a moderator just approved the description and published it to your dragon's view page? I've never heard of an actual moderator leaving a comment while checking descriptions. Only reviewers do that.

~Edit: Ah, here we go. I know Herk likes to remind us that DC has two moons and therefore can't be on Earth.

Edited by Dimar

One, I didn't describe my dragon. Which I absolutely did. Read the whole thing before you comment.

I cannot say anything about this because you haven't included your description here.

Two, I referenced a real-world medieval figure. I'm not to reference real medieval things or else I'll be rejected.

Again, without your description I cannot say, but as DC and the real world are not the same place, your real medieval person might not fit the setting.

As for "moderators" rejecting it; it's regular users who leave those comments, not moderators.

Yeah, I was gonna say, whether hell is considered appropriate or not by a mod is probably gonna come down to whether it's being used as a "swear word" or not. By saying "x as hell," it's used as an exclamation, putting it in the "swearing" context. Using it in a phrase like "hell-fire" makes it a descriptor, not an exclamation.

This dragon truly believes that she is a piece of bread. While a certain Ochredrake that lives in the same cave tells her she cannot possibly be a piece of bread, she disagrees, stating that "My dad's name is Toasted Grammar, I must be a piece of toast! And toast is bread!" She would give the same arguement every time. And, unlike said Ochredrake, no one tries to eat her. She also has no sense of grammar.

This one again, but 2 more:

Accept: Haha, if she was toast I would eat her! ~D

Abstain: spelling: argument

Mmmm.... but it's so close! ;-;

Alright, I'll fix it.

De Terminator is a terminator. He is determined to terminate magic of any shape or form, aside from magic meant to terminate. He is so determined to terminate magic he travels determinedly to the ends of the world to terminate. Many fear his determination and as such set out to terminate De Terminator, but he is nigh impossible to terminate as his determination to terminate make him fearfully unstoppable. He keeps a record of terminated magic with over eight hundred passive spells terminated and recently terminated what he determines is his one thousandth. After terminating any which one, he determinedly announces 'I'll be back' and drums his tail tip five times on the ground twice. De Terminator is rumoured to have been sent back in time to destroy any danger towards his kind before a day called Judgement Day arrives, leaving humans with no defences.

Accept: Haha, nice! :) ~G

Accept: I find this hilarious. I don't know if you MEANT it to be funny, but it is! ~D

To the latter person, yes it is meant to be funny. I am glad it is! XD It really just stemmed from an attempt to see how many times I could use the words 'determine' and 'terminate' and their variations.

When Nyelee first broke through the shell of his egg, numerous dragons were watching out of curiosity as they had never seen a Undine hatch before. They were confused to see that the hatchling was golden instead of green. The Pillow dragon that had assisted the hatching of the young one mother began to shriek that the dragon was cursed. Hortsara quickly spun a tale that she had laid an infertile egg, which never hatched before a Thunder came by shocked life into it. Some of the other dragons accepted this story, while others barred their own children from going near the Undine. Nyelee grew up under the eyes of his mother, who raised him alone out of fear of other dragons attacking her supposed legendary son. As he aged his mother left, leaving him alone with the water spirits. Whenever it storms he wails towards the heavens, trying to get his father's attention. These actions often cause other dragons to say that he's not right in the head.

Accept: Aw poor guy, but interesting story! ~X

Accept: Very interesting tale to explain an alt! ~D

I felt like that was one of my not-so-good descriptions, but two accepts both with comments? That's not something you see everyday.

Litharin is known for carrying out the duty of assisting hatchlings who have trouble breaking through their shell. He tries to help out, though on occasions he ends up breaking an egg with his talons. Not many mothers trust their offspring around him because of this. Despite this he continues to help guard and hunt for them, in hopes of them forgiving his accidents. Recently he came across an abandoned vampire hatchling while patrolling, and brought it home for one of the other vampires to nest. They rejected the hatchling due to the fact it wasn't turned by one of them. Out of fear of accidentally killing the hatchling by nesting it himself, Litharin courted a Falconiform Wyvern called Ayrina so she would raise it alongside their own egg. He visits them daily, though never allows himself to approach the nest itself.

Accept: Nice smile.gif -H

Accept:

Accept: Yay you corrected! (still think the foster mom choice is a bit funny, I hope she has a description here somewhere)~briar

Accept:

Accept:

Well, she doesn't have any comments yet but since you asked, here you go.

Ayrina was hatched protected by the rim of an inactive volcano, learning to hunt by searching for easy to spot Mints. Around the age of one year her mother chased her from the territory when it was time to raise another batch of eggs. Unsure how to stake out her own territory, she flew to the distant reaches of a mountain chain where a large group of dragons shared a communal territory rich with elk and wolves. After living on the edge for awhile, hunting foxes to survive, a patrol came across her. They offered for her to come live in the core area, where there where plenty of caves for nesting. She accepted the offer though remained distant from the others. A Green dragon called Litharin approached her with a dying Vampire hatchling and several choice gems, and courted her. She recent laid an egg of her own species and took in the hatchling to name it Narcil.

Varce is known as one of the casanovas of the territory. He lives close to the border of the mountains, and frequently journeys along the coast in search of other groups of Blacktips. Eventually he will leave the territory when he comes across a large enough group of his own kind to join. Recently he began to raid nests of seagulls for eggs, destroying the food source of numerous small breeds. Several of the dragons are pushing to have him banished, though he began to hide inside abandoned fox dens when visiting the territory.

Accept: OK -H

Accept:

Accept: I like seeing a dragon on the edge of exile!

Accept:

Accept: Hmm, I don't know how "small" a Blacktip is to allow them into fox dens. I suppose it is acceptable, considering there's no answer either way. smile.gif ~D

Accept:

Accept:

Looking at the 'how big is your dragon' chart, Blacktails would only come up to my knee. Itsy bitsy dragons. I doubt he has any trouble squeezing into one.

Looking at the 'how big is your dragon' chart, Blacktails would only come up to my knee. Itsy bitsy dragons. I doubt he has any trouble squeezing into one.

There's some issues with that chart; it's good for interest purposes but certainly not completely accurate. All we really know for sure is that Blacktips are "small", which is very generic (think of a small horse vs a small bird)... but that's why some artistic liberty is allowed. laugh.gif I wonder if the Encyclopedia would give more information about sizes and such. Probably not, but that would be cool to know. *is a fan of details*

Edited by Dimar

Mints are called small in their description, but someone said they're human height. Which is quite large. (The first couple of years DC was around, though, most dragons were bigger than mints, but now there are more varied, closer-to-human sizes. Don't know if their description will ever get an update.)

Ariolimax isn't sociable and has a few close friends. She follows a lot of small creatures to learn about them, but she's most interested in gastropods, particularly slugs. She especially likes those that match her golden hue but will sit down and observe any, given the chance. They're alone most of the time, just like she is, but sometimes, two of them will find each other and play for a few hours. While most dragons would be terribly bored, Ariolimax can comfortably watch the little critters they slide in slow, clockwise circles. Annoyingly, an adult usually pulls Ariolimax away or hides the slugs farther in the forest after a while, so she's never seen them go their separate ways after the meetup. She herself has always been pretty awkward with goodbyes and wonders how slugs go about it.

Accept: Very cute! ~D

Accept:

Accept:

☑ 1. Write about the mating habits of gastropods

BTW anonymous reviewer on June Carter: "hugest" is the superlative of "huge" and therefore a proper word

I also have two other cases of people "correcting" my BE...

*learns something every day*

I seem to recall reading somewhere that mints were the size of VW Beetles.

Now I'm back online, finally, maybe I can get more reviewing done!

I seem to recall reading somewhere that mints were the size of VW Beetles.

That was way back when Stones were described as mountain sized - I think in general the older breeds shrunk quite a bit since the early days wink.gif

This dragon truly believes that she is a piece of bread. While a certain Ochredrake that lives in the same cave tells her she cannot possibly be a piece of bread, she disagrees, stating that "My dad's name is Toasted Grammar, I must be a piece of toast! And toast is bread!" She would give the same argument every time. And, unlike said Ochredrake, no one tries to eat her. She also has no sense of grammar.

This one again, but 2 more:

Accept: I'm going to eat her. >:3 ~D

Accept: I bet she gets along really well with the Cheese dragons xd.png ~Storm

No, don't eat her! ;-;

If I had a cheese.

Poke Me is a dragon that does not like to be touched. At all. The only one allowed to touch her is her mate (which she has none, she's forever alone),  and her children (which she also doesn't have). Anyone who touches her gets beaten with her tail. Even DSL has a few bruises from Poke Me. Ironically, she wrote the very list of dragons who can touch her, but she can't have a mate, because every dragon who tries gets clobbered with her tail. By that logic, she can't have children. So her list is obsolete...maybe.

Accept: Nice! smile.gif ~G

Accept: You have a double space in "alone), and". ~D

Accept: Ha, these are all hilarious! -L

I... I don't wanna fix it... It's so close...

"How is this a good idea..." DSL stared at the Paper egg she was now holding. The Paper had been close to a volcano. It was especially warm. And then her Red had the WONDERFUL idea to incubate it. DSL can't control many of her Reds, and the egg set on fire. A Water dragon proceeded to put out the fire, and the egg was unharmed, but soggy.

Good Idea is a very unlucky dragon. He always seems to be near fights between dragons that possess the element of fire. And every single time, he gets burned by some Hellhorse or Ember, forcing Yerana or Darkwater to make him soggy, and then DSL comes over and gets him to dry off. His burns are almost never severe, possibly due to the dousing he had as an egg, but he still has lots of adhesive stuck to him to patch him up after the fires burn holes through his wings. Once, he lost an eye, and it had to be drawn back on. You don't want to see his left eye.

Accept: Haha, very nice. That Paper has been through a lot! ~D

brb getting tape for my paper

This dragon is, amazingly, not a piece of bread. The other dragons apparently think her coloring and small stature makes her look exactly like a dragon-shaped and, oddly enough, breathing loaf of bread.

She hates this, but the first things dragons ask her is if they can eat her. She responds with "Go eat a Pygmy, they taste like berries." (It's actually true; some pygmies do taste like wild strawberries. To other pygmies.) Luckily, she has not been eaten yet.

Accept: Oh really? LOOKS LIKE BREAD TO ME! ~D

Abstain: typo: first thing (not fist things)

Accept: Huzzah for her! ~L

Stop eating my dragons!

Fixed.

Edited by DarkShinyLugia

Troto has decided for some reason that he hates the Wicked Witch of the West, a student at Delirium's Academy. Whether it's due to the fact that he can't stand to see her torture woodland creatures or because she is absolutely insane is a bit unclear, but Troto has decided that he will be the dino Dorothy's courageous protector by always watching the Wicked Witch making sure to be there to attack the Magi dragoness if she should ever come close to actually finding her arch nemesis.

Reject: Don't write Wicked Witch of the West. Too modern. Keep in mind Dragon Cave is set in a medival setting. ~SB

Dear Sbowen, please look at the bolded parts... Wicked Witch of the West is a dragoness of mine with an approved description here

As long as I don't say, she's a character from a Frank L Baum novel from the 20s, but include her in MY version of DC, I'm completely in the green smile.gif

Thanks to ab613 for pointing out the TYPO hat was there.

CS desperately wants to join the clan's small crime task force. The fact that he often refers to himself in third person doesn't really endear him to the actual members of the task force though. Yet he is absolutely convinced that his sharp senses and power of observation could be a huge asset to the group that basically solves crimes by going around, talking to the humans and looking intimidating enough that the guilty party spills their beans sooner or later. He often argues: "After all, one of these days you will have a criminal hardened enough not to fall for that, then you will need CS' eye."

Got:

Accept: Huh. Not a Tabs description. xd.png Very nice!

Accept: Good description! ~G

Accept:

Accept: I did not see that pun coming. Well done xd.png ~Storm

Thanks to you three, but that first one makes me PROUD biggrin.gif

Speaking of Tabs, she wrote:

Accept: For at least five years, I didn't pronounce her name right. When people talked about Sinead O'Connor, I thought she she sounded mighty similar to Sin-ee-ad O'Connor. >.> -DT

under my RB Sinead O'Conner

You know I was the same way with Sean (See-ahn Connery) wink.gif

No, don't eat her! ;-;

If I had a cheese.

I haven't looked at her or her family closely yet. Maybe everyone on her mom's side are red dragons, and everyone on her dad's side are not dragons but actually baguettes (which incidentally go nicely with cheese). So if she is bread, she would be crossbread...

He often argues: "After all, one of these days you will have a criminal hardened enough not to fall for that, then you will need CS' eye."

I'm so proud of you. biggrin.gif

Speaking of Tabs, she wrote:

Accept: For at least five years, I didn't pronounce her name right. When people talked about Sinead O'Connor, I thought she she sounded mighty similar to Sin-ee-ad O'Connor. >.> -DT

under my RB Sinead O'Conner

You know I was the same way with Sean  (See-ahn Connery) wink.gif

Me too with "Sean"! (Seen.) I do not think it's my fault for thinking "Sean Bean" should rhyme.

I'm so proud of you. biggrin.gif

me glows with pride

Blindschleiche loves to pretend that he is a dangerous, venomous monster. He often slithers around the human villages and hisses at the naked mammals from the underbrush scaring the daylights out of them. The humans of course know that he's just a harmless hatchling and only play along to make the young one happy.

Accept: Ahh!! A monster! ohmy.gif *approves the cool description and takes off*' ~G

Accept: Yes, what a scary beast! Ooh noes! ~D

Accept:

Thanks for playing along folks biggrin.gif

Unlike many dragons, this one knows that he won't live forever. In fact he won't live long at all. Before he hatched, his egg was found by one of those powerful human wizards who call themselves dragon owners. This specific "tamer" was terrified by the thought of his dragons outliving or overpowering him, as he was well aware that no wizard was a match for a fully grown, experienced dragon. So he took some precautions and cursed all his dragons as long as they were still helpless in their eggs.

So Batty, as this Tinsel likes to be called, knew from the start that he would only live for a very short amount of time after growing up, less time than even a human had. Most of the other dragons accepted the inevitable, but Batty grew angry and fought back. He managed to kill the "master" and has lived a free life since then. He has seen many wonders no human could even comprehend. And still the fact remains: soon all that will be forgotten, soon those memories of wonder will die - with him.

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: NUUUUU *feels* ~D

Accept: I has a sad now. -DSL

Accept:

/me hands out tissues

Edited by herk

Reject: what is misunderstood about him?

Reject: How is he misunderstood? Do others believe him NOT to be interested in griffins? -H

Why do I have to explain this when the last time this got approved I didn't have to explain it?

I'll try to but I don't know why I have have to time around, the only thing that has changed is is his name.

Reject: Change "Griffins" to "griffins", second sentence. Change "He has always had" to "He always did", second sentence.

I did have it as a lower case G but some one else said to put a capital.

Edited by Nightwatcher

Knowing she's a secret baby between her parents, Pareto was raised by a family of cassares and doesn't see her dad much. She's aware, though, that his type is named after a water spirit. He can talk to them, so Pareto's decided to learn to communicate with undies as well. So far, she hasn't had any luck, but she isn't about to give up. Dragons and humans alike think she's weird, but it isn't really her fault she doesn't know how to spell.

Abstain: First part = an unlawful child? He = She

Accept:

Reject:

For This dragon. I usually pair her father with another undine. I was thinking of a term like "born out of wedlock", but that means dragons get wed. Maybe they do, but people are going to ask questions, right?

For This dragon. I usually pair her father with another undine. I was thinking of a term like "born out of wedlock", but that means dragons get wed. Maybe they do, but people are going to ask questions, right?

They might. Maybe he just had a fling with her? A one-nighter? (Can we say that? huh.gif ) Love the dad's name!

This one made me giggle xd.png

If you don't want to use the term out of wedlock (although I don't think it'd be a big deal if you did--I specifically use husband/wife in my descriptions quite a bit and have never gotten flak for it), maybe just restructure it into something like "Knowing that she was the result of a liaison between her father and someone other than his mate, Pareto..."

Or something like that. smile.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Reject: Don't write Wicked Witch of the West. Too modern. Keep in mind Dragon Cave is set in a medival setting. ~SB

Dear Sbowen, please look at the bolded parts... Wicked Witch of the West is a dragoness of mine with an approved description here

As long as I don't say, she's a character from a Frank L Baum novel from the 20s, but include her in MY version of DC, I'm completely in the green smile.gif

Okay. I thought you were talking about the character. Sorry Herk.

This one made me giggle xd.png

If you don't want to use the term out of wedlock (although I don't think it'd be a big deal if you did--I specifically use husband/wife in my descriptions quite a bit and have never gotten flak for it), maybe just restructure it into something like "Knowing that she was the result of a liaison between her father and someone other than his mate, Pareto..."

Or something like that. smile.gif

Ooh, I like that wording. Thank you. I have a feeling it'll move more easily past the radar than "fling" or "one-nighter". biggrin.gif