mishii

The Dragonriders of Pern Lineage!

Non-Canon Weyrs?  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I grabbed this little beauty off the AP, and noticed the "of Pern" lineage. Can someone tell me if this egg belongs with this lineage?

(if it does, YAY, because I love Anne McCaffrey!)

Just letting you know that the Sunsong egg was dropped, in favor of new eggs. The Hfire is still warming, and should hatch tonight.

Eragon, maybe!

Aynessa, cool egg! (Or should I say hot? smile.gif ) Purebred Hfire -- gorgeous. The maternal grandparents are dreamer23's -- I have an Hfire from two of her other similarly named dragons that's been allowed in the lineage by default. It's up to Mishii, but to me it looks like a great dragon for the lineage!

Gyps, best of luck with your Hfire!

New egg observations so far: the "dusk/dawn" ones don't appear on vampire bite lists, which suggests that they might not be breedable outside their breed. Sad, that; the hatchlings look like they'd make fantastic bronzes. The orange egg seems to be a water dragon, and is the result of a magi/water cross; waters of course are blue, but what's a magi in our lineage? xd.png And the green ones are... still green. I think we can look forward to more speckly greenness from them. XDDD

I grabbed this little beauty off the AP, and noticed the "of Pern" lineage. Can someone tell me if this egg belongs with this lineage?

(if it does, YAY, because I love Anne McCaffrey!)

EDIT: Yes, it's affiliated. Totally brainfarted, the grandparents are from Dreamer23's Honshu Wing... /facepalm Please feel free to request eggs from us if you like to spread the love!

Dreamer23 had some very appropriately named dragons (Brz Mnementh and Golden Ramoth) and Infinite ended up with an egg from that pair, and I gifted a Pern egg to him to mate it to. Decendents of those eggs are Pern dragons, because they link back to my queen. However, apparently the "of Pern" suffix is spreading around to non-lineaged dragons.

That brings up a problem: I've been seeing dragons around more and more lately with the "of Pern" suffix that are NOT related to this lineage. Now, I can understand if some people randomly came up with the same idea I did for naming their dragons in a Pernese fashion, but still.... I registered the "of Pern" suffix in that Project/Lineage thread in the Breeding Forum o_O; For whatever that was worth.

EDIT: I know about Dreamer23's - they're breeding for a Wing under Honshu WeyrHold. So they are affiliated!! I'm having some massive brainfarts! >.<

Anyone have ideas as to how we can address that? I was thinking about changing the rules for mate's names, but it looks nice to have all the dragons involved have the "of Pern" suffix when you can name the mates. As it stands, already named mates are fine, but if you want to add a new dragon that was previously unnamed, adding "of Pern" was preferred.

What do you all think? I'm not trying to point fingers, or sound rude or bitter, it's just something I've noticed. The whole "fake Dorkface" thing recently is something that I would like to avoid (not that this lineage is ANYWHERE near as popular as Dorkfaces, but you understand my meaning xd.png). This is my first lineage and I'm just trying to be responsible o__o; Learning experiences, yaay.

Congrats all around on the clutches, and just a FYI Im holding judgement on the new dragons until I can see the adult sprites, and find out the breeding capabilities.

Off to dinner now.

Edited by mishii

The small White (Albino) hatchling I have has gendered male, and has been named Vesketh of Pern.

He is my seccond Pernese Dragon, and I will be adopting more males while I wait for a Gold. I may adopt a Female Green though.

Mishii, I actually caught that bronze egg in the AP -- it was an exceedingly lucky and unlikely catch -- but otherwise, yeah, that's what happened! *pats bronze Wrath, now if only Kaiidth was ready to rise again....* Did dreamer23 ever actually join the lineage? She was thinking about it a while back.....

As to naming, hmmmm, that is an interesting problem. Perhaps CB Pern-in-laws shouldn't be bred outside the lineage; doing so creates an egg with one Pern parent, but the egg technically isn't qualified for the lineage. In the Dorkface lineage, only eggs directly descended from Midas and Shally carried the Dorkface name; in the Tempest lineage, any dragon whose lineage includes only the correct breeds can be named Tempest, so people start out with CBs and build their own lineages without a founding pair for the project. With your lineage, the Queens and their mates are the founding pairs, but the CB mates have been taking on "of Pern" names as well... I dunno, it's a difficult call to make, especially since lots of dragons have been named here already.

The Tempest model doesn't quite work: an Tempest-breed egg is only a Tempest if all the dragons in its lineage are of qualifying breeds, but this lineage isn't restricted among certain breeds. The Dorkface model doesn't apply because we have lots of CBs "of Pern" already!

Hey, what if lineaged dragons were named "__th of Pern" and their mates were given prefixes like Wrath's parents? "Bronze ___th" or "Green ___th", for example, with "of ___ Weyr" optional. That'd leave the CBs free to breed outside the lineage without spreading the name around. It doesn't help the CBs who have already been named, though. *pets Wrath, Gorath and Crwth*

..OR, what if it was the other way around: CBs were named "___th of Pern" and lineaged dragons were named "(Weyr)'s bronze _____th" or "___th of ____ Weyr"? That way, Pern would be a general name, and the lineaged offspring could carry the names of the Weyrs they were attached to. *wishes mightily for a rename option*

ATTENTION: All my breeding for this lineage will be put on hold until I can collect the newly released dragons. With the reintroduction of MM dragons as well, it seems, I will also be attempting to collect those.

ATTENTION: All my breeding for this lineage will be put on hold until I can collect the newly released dragons. With the reintroduction of MM dragons as well, it seems, I will also be attempting to collect those.

Perfectly understandable. Good luck!

Having got some of the new eggs and being forced to wait before trying again for an orange speckly one, I'm not going to put breeding on hold; blue Kaiidth and bronze Wrath are looking restive and should be ready tomorrow or Friday. I don't know if they'll produce an egg, though; and if they do, there's a chance of it being a deep-sea egg. Eragon (or someone else), would you still want to take it if it's a deep-sea? I don't want to drop a lineage egg but won't have the space to raise it myself.

Definitely will. Hopefully we can catch each other online and meet in the IRC for the attempt. Kaiidth and Wrath will be ready in a day or two, but hopefully we can find a time that's convenient for you, though after Friday I might have to be offline for a week.

*edit* Just checked Kaiidth's action page, and it said "less than 7 days". She'll probably be ready to rise late tomorrow night.

Edited by infiniteviking

i Just went hunting for some eggies to be used here, and I had a rather sucsessful hunt. A short linaged red egg, and CB Pebble egg.

I ALSO caught a pink Thuwed! Not that I can realy use it here.

Edit: Red egg was ER and just hatched!

Edited by Zephyr_Drake

So, just to confirm, the egg I got is part of this lineage, right? xd.png Just double-checking, cause the lengthy posts confused me a little. laugh.gif

It is...

Mishii am I allowed to breed my earth dragons though they are not appropriately named to get some more greens for the start of my green wing? At least that way I'll be able to start creating wings for when the threads fall.

aynessa: yes. Your egg descends from dragons meant for Dreamer's Honshu Wing.

Eragon - as long as any green eggs you're breeding are mated to a Pern egg, any eggs out of that are considered Pern eggs. I don't have rules as to what you mate your pern dragons to. Is that what you meant?

Should I wait until I get a green egg from Roselewth just to be on the safe side?

If you'd like.

Something I was actually thinking of is this: If anyone has bred eggs from a Weyr and is going to be breeding a Wing beholden to that Weyr, they could name dragons that aren't descended from our queens (meant to be mates) as "(Weyr)'s -th" and then breed them to Pern dragons. That really only applies to dragons not already named on your scroll, but it's an option. ^^

What do you guys think? Good idea?

I think that could work and mind if I start a Monaco Bay Wing while I wait for permission to start Falmas?

Hmm... I plan on making a wing of at least 10 dragons for each dragon colour. They'll likely end up being from the same pairing though. Might even make a Queen's wing like they had in the first book....

I think that could work and mind if I start a Monaco Bay Wing while I wait for permission to start Falmas?

Just ask for a Monaco Weyr egg if you haven't already, and then you can use it with any mates you've got (name those with the "(Weyr)'s -th" scheme, I guess) and start your wing going!

If I understand this right, I should name any CB mates for my Pern dragons: Honshu's ____-th... that should be easy enough to do... all the previous ones will just hafta stick with the names they have...

Edited by Ldyfsh

Yeah, pretty much. Anyone who wants to comment on the idea, please do. I'm kind of stumbling my way though this xd.png

Already named mates are fine - there are few enough, and the ones already established to queens are pretty well known among us anyway. ^^

Running a lineage is kind of tough. Yay, learning experiences! biggrin.gif lol

Update on Honshu Weyr Hold's Dragons:

Name --- Pernese Color --- M/F --- Gen --- Breed

Kultath (Honshu's Queen) --- Gold --- F --- CB --- Gold

Trith of Pern (Honshu's Jr. Queen) --- Gold --- F --- 1G --- Gold

Satanath (Queen's Mate/Wingleader) --- Bronze --- M --- CB --- Hellfire Wyvern

Tiroth of Pern (Honshu Wing) --- Bronze --- M --- 1G --- Hellfire Wyvern

Lioth of Pern (Honshu Wing) --- Bronze --- M --- 1G --- Hellfire Wyvern

Kerth of Pern (Monaco Bay for Honshu Wing) --- Bronze --- M --- 1G --- Hellfire Wyvern

Honshu's Zaranth (Honshu Wing) --- Green --- M --- CB --- Canopy

Farli of Harper Hall (Honshu) --- Bronze Fire Lizard --- M --- 1G --- Pygmy

Looks like I have a wing of 5 Dragons as of right now + another wing started on Dreamer's scroll... nice start for coming "Thread Fall"

Edited by Ldyfsh