Branndi

Twilight

Do the parents know about this?

Possibly? Apparently, her parents are never shown.

-shrug- I just read the sporkings, so they may be around in some obscure page of the book I won't touch, even if I had a full hazmat suit and tongs.

Bella and Edward are just fine with it. Apparently, having the house dog fall in love with your newborn and becoming his nanny while he waits for her to be grown up is... brilliant... (sigh*)

Do the parents know about this?

The two year old? I believe so. The tribe knows all about the wolves and imprinting, and I think the only reason he is her babysitter is because he imprinted on her. The book describes it as a sort of destiny: he'll be the best babysitter, then the best friend, and eventually lover, but it doesn't seem to cross into sexuality when she's two.

Another odd point for the Renesmee: If she goes the same as Benjamin, she won't age past early teens.

Wait, Benjamin only made it to his early teens? I thought he was in his early 20s blink.gif

I apparently didn't pay attention... *le shrug*

... Benjamin's a regular vampire.

Nahuel is the hybrid, and he appears to be in his late teens. The rapid-aging caused him to reach that point when he was about seven years old, then he stopped growing.

Also, still having a hard time seeing imprinting as 'destiny' or 'true love' with the dramatic personality shifts that often go along with it. If they were 'destined' to be together, wouldn't they be perfect for each other without the guy having to change so much?

... Benjamin's a regular vampire.

Nahuel is the hybrid, and he appears to be in his late teens. The rapid-aging caused him to reach that point when he was about seven years old, then he stopped growing.

Also, still having a hard time seeing imprinting as 'destiny' or 'true love' with the dramatic personality shifts that often go along with it. If they were 'destined' to be together, wouldn't they be perfect for each other without the guy having to change so much?

Whoops, my bad. I thought it was early teens, but I was close eh.

Hence why I said the book portrays it as such (or at least tries). /shrug

Does the kid in question get a say about this? Does the impression work both ways? As in the kid grows up wanting to be the warewolves partner?

If not, can they refuse?

Does the kid in question get a say about this? Does the impression work both ways? As in the kid grows up wanting to be the warewolves partner?

If not, can they refuse?

No, no (or yes, if you count child grooming. But in terms of magical love bond? No), and in Meyer's (paraphrased) words: 'yes, she can refuse. But who could ever say no to that level of devotion?'

Edited by Dr. Paine

Also, refusing runs the risk of the wolf going all HULK SMASH on her face, as was the case with Sam and Emily...

Meyer apparently alludes to a two-way connection between imprinter and imprintee in her 'guide book' to the series, but I haven't read it myself so I can't say for sure.

Whoops, my bad. I thought it was early teens, but I was close eh.

Hence why I said the book portrays it as such (or at least tries). /shrug

Eh, Meyer threw on so many characters in the last few chapters that I don't even remember most of them... Benjamin was the vamp that could control elements though, and since the vamp powers are supposed to be refining and strengthening certain traits from their human lives, I just always wondered what about him could give him that power.

Edited by Stromboli

/random/

So, I've been going through all of Mark Reads Twilight and I'm up to Breaking Dawn. And since I just got a topic update in my email, I feel the need to share.

"Often, when I looked back over my first three months as an immortal, I imagined how the thread of my life might look in the Fates' loom--who knew but that it actually existed?"

What the hell is the part of that sentence after the dash trying to get across? I just...what...what is that? WHAT IS THAT? WHAT IS IT TRYING TO SAY?

Also I bring hilarity: semi-roleplaying of Edward as a 40 year-old pissed off housewife. Also there is a follow-up.

SHE SMELLED DELICIOUS. LIKE BACON.

YES, I AM DOING THAT "EMO bull****", I CAN FEEL IF I WANT TO

No, no (or yes, if you count child grooming. But in terms of magical love bond? No), and in Meyer's (paraphrased) words: 'yes, she can refuse. But who could ever say no to that level of devotion?'

I am disgusted on so many different levels here. As someone who suffered similar abuse as a kid I am appalled that someone in a posistion to manipulate the minds of young children could justify such things by trying to make them romantic.

Also, refusing runs the risk of the wolf going all HULK SMASH on her face, as was the case with Sam and Emily...

Meyer apparently alludes to a two-way connection between imprinter and imprintee in her 'guide book' to the series, but I haven't read it myself so I can't say for sure.

Eh, Meyer threw on so many characters in the last few chapters that I don't even remember most of them... Benjamin was the vamp that could control elements though, and since the vamp powers are supposed to be refining and strengthening certain traits from their human lives, I just always wondered what about him could give him that power.

He was the Avatar, of course.

I am disgusted on so many different levels here. As someone who suffered similar abuse as a kid I am appalled that someone in a posistion to manipulate the minds of young children could justify such things by trying to make them romantic.

As someone who suffered through gender abuse, I feel disgusted that Meyer would portray Edward and Bella's romance as true love. So I know how you feel.

He was the Avatar, of course.

LOL. LOL on so many levels! xd.png

What the hell is the part of that sentence after the dash trying to get across? I just...what...what is that? WHAT IS THAT? WHAT IS IT TRYING TO SAY?

I think she's trying to compare it to a dream. "Who's to say that magical awesome adventure was real, now that I look back on it" or something? It's very convoluted and she might have just been trying to sound fancy (PROTIP: PEOPLE DO NOT ****ING THINK LIKE THAT.), so meh.

The books were well written, I suppose, but I just don't like the idea of a vampire being romantically involved with a human. Sure, it sounds sweet afirst, but when you get into it... it just doesn't work. Furthermore, I'm not at all fond of the characters. (Except Carlisle. He's cool.) I find Bella to be incredibly annoying and clingy, to the point where she becomes comatose for months after Edward breaks up with her. (God, how pathetic.) She's a heroine I can't respect, and that's a bug turnoff for me.

I just miss the days when vampires were scary, I guess.

The books were well written, I suppose, but I just don't like the idea of a vampire being romantically involved with a human. Sure, it sounds sweet afirst, but when you get into it... it just doesn't work.

Heh... I'd have to say just the opposite.

Twilight's writing isn't good, but the "vampire in love with a mortal" can make for an interesting story. It's that it can't work that makes it interesting.

Heh... I'd have to say just the opposite.

Twilight's writing isn't good, but the "vampire in love with a mortal" can make for an interesting story. It's that it can't work that makes it interesting.

I'd agree on the opposite of well written (example being the sentence I posted above that makes no sense). And I think the short-lived series Moonlight did "vampire in love with a mortal" pretty well.

Also The Dresden Files book series has a vampire-mortal pairing in Thomas Raith and Justine. It works at their introduction in book three then doesn't work then...well, I won't spoil what it reveals about them in book thirteen. I'll close with saying I think that's also a vamp-mortal relationship done well.

Edited by terioncalling

I'm not a big fan of the sappy "twue wuv" stuff, but quite a few classmates and friends of mine (who are normally perfectly sane people) were obsessing over it. So I picked up the first book and skimmed it through, and I thought it was...okay. I could tell what would happen from a mile away, but I was still a bit intrigued in /how/ the romance stuff would play out.

The second time I read it, the inconsistencies became clearer. I was like O_o about halfway through and immediately chucked it out of the room.

I picked up the second book purely for lolz and cringed at how pathetic Bella's behavior was.

I'm vaguely interested in maybe reading the rest of the series, purely because I want to see how much more badly Meyer can screw up this atrocity. Curiosity killed the reader >.<

Edited by Aeria

I'm vaguely interested in maybe reading the rest of the series, purely because I want to see how much more badly Meyer can screw up this atrocity. Curiosity killed the reader >.<

Just read "Mark Reads Twilight." It's faster and more lulzy. :3

I read the first one. It wasnt bad but Its just not the book for me. It lacked the action that I thought was possible with the type of book. I feel that it could be tweaked a bit more to attract more male readers like myself. No im not gay.......:V

I find the Twilight saga awesome happy.gif When it first came out, my younger sister was obsessed with it, and she let me read it when she was finished and I was instantly hooked smile.gif The relationship between Edward and Bella reminds me so VERY much of my boyfriend and I happy.gif I know there are some people who don't like the Twilight saga for the fact that there's "not enough fighting", but to each his/her own smile.gif Each book is unique in its own way and tells the story brilliantly in my opinion. I do wonder if Midnight Sun will become published or not huh.gif I hope so, for I find it interesting knowing that it's the first book through Edward's point of view smile.gif

Edited by FluffyPillow

I know there are some people who don't like the Twilight saga for the fact that there's "not enough fighting", but to each his/her own

I have only rarely heard this argument. Mostly it's in regards to Breaking Dawn, in which case I find it entirely justified.

Meyer spent a third of the book building up to a huge battle that turned out to be a few chapters of dry conversation, wrapped up by a deus ex machina. This is not how you book. If you spend a big long time setting up a big grand fight, you probably oughta have one. If you have no intention of going through with it, don't waste time and pages building it.

I find the Twilight saga awesome happy.gif When it first came out, my younger sister was obsessed with it, and she let me read it when she was finished and I was instantly hooked smile.gif The relationship between Edward and Bella reminds me so VERY much of my boyfriend and I happy.gif I know there are some people who don't like the Twilight saga for the fact that there's "not enough fighting", but to each his/her own smile.gif Each book is unique in its own way and tells the story brilliantly in my opinion. I do wonder if Midnight Sun will become published or not huh.gif I hope so, for I find it interesting knowing that it's the first book through Edward's point of view smile.gif

I happen to find there is more chemistry between the Volvo and Bella's truck, than between the two main characters.

I shudder to think you have a similar relation with your boyfriend. I honestly hope you're being a bit exagerated, because Edward and Bella's relationship reminds me of the one I had with my ex, and I tell you, it was not pleasant. He abused me, never phisically, but I'm still not fully recovered from the months I spent with him, and that was 6 years ago.

Agreed completely with Stromboli. I've read books that don't have huge fights of any sort. For example, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, does not show any battle. Nor does it build any battle.

If there is not going to be a fight, simply do not build it. Don't spend any effort describing a shotgun sitting on that shelf in the room unless someone is going to use it later on. It's a main principle of writing, one that Meyer skips one too many times.

I happen to find there is more chemistry between the Volvo and Bella's truck, than between the two main characters.

I shudder to think you have a similar relation with your boyfriend. I honestly hope you're being a bit exagerated, because Edward and Bella's relationship reminds me of the one I had with my ex, and I tell you, it was not pleasant. He abused me, never phisically, but I'm still not fully recovered from the months I spent with him, and that was 6 years ago.

Agreed completely with Stromboli. I've read books that don't have huge fights of any sort. For example, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, does not show any battle. Nor does it build any battle.

If there is not going to be a fight, simply do not build it. Don't spend any effort describing a shotgun sitting on that shelf in the room unless someone is going to use it later on. It's a main principle of writing, one that Meyer skips one too many times.

The Chekov's Gun rule, right?