Branndi

Twilight

Just out of curiousity, I decided to look up some

today.

""If I stop to think about what someone else would think about this section...I wouldn't be able to get a word on the page."

Damn right.

Just out of (morbid) curiousity, what is Bella's mutant baby like?

I wanna know, I'm just like that- it's like slowing down when you see a car accident. tongue.gif

She's like, the totally perfect blend of Bella and Ed. She had B's big brown eyes, Ed's hair only longer/more gorgeous, not full on sparkle skin but a more muted glimmer. Her power...is like, the opposite of Ed's. She puts her thoughts into people's minds by touching them. She drinks blood but has perfect control of her thirst, just like Bella. She's imprinted on by Jacob and they all call her Nessie. She grows at an alarming rate and is omgsuchagenius. Everyone automatically loves her.

In other news, has RwV been shared here yet? I love this thing, almost makes me get a tumblr.

She's like, the totally perfect blend of Bella and Ed. She had B's big brown eyes, Ed's hair only longer/more gorgeous, not full on sparkle skin but a more muted glimmer. Her power...is like, the opposite of Ed's. She puts her thoughts into people's minds by touching them. She drinks blood but has perfect control of her thirst, just like Bella. She's imprinted on by Jacob and they all call her Nessie. She grows at an alarming rate and is omgsuchagenius. Everyone automatically loves her.

In other news, has RwV been shared here yet? I love this thing, almost makes me get a tumblr.

I'm still mad about her power dry.gif

IT BELONGS TO THE GIVER, DAMN IT!

My English teacher actually said Twilight was one of the best books he'd ever read. He was being totally serious and gave us a pretty big lecture on why it was so great (our class was a bit skeptical lol). And yeah, he's a guy.

He said all of the characters were very well developed, though the males more than the females.

He said one of the best things about Twilight was how Bella was an example of what NOT to do. She's pretty much the opposite of a feminist. First thing she does when she gets to Forks? Insist on cooking and cleaning for her father. She refuses to allow him to do any "typical woman's roles".

Then when Edward comes into the picture, she attaches herself to him. Throughout the books, she is always the helpless girl who can't do anything for herself, and is always rescued by either Edward or Jacob. She begs to be changed into a vampire (and only by Edward at that); she is willing to lose herself entirely for a man.

When Edward leaves in the second book, she is totally and completely lost. Her life no longer has meaning. That is, until another guy - Jacob - comes in. So what are these books teaching young teenage girls? That you're nothing without a man.

My English teacher actually said Twilight was one of the best books he'd ever read. He was being totally serious and gave us a pretty big lecture on why it was so great (our class was a bit skeptical lol). And yeah, he's a guy.

He said all of the characters were very well developed, though the males more than the females.

He said one of the best things about Twilight was how Bella was an example of what NOT to do. She's pretty much the opposite of a feminist. First thing she does when she gets to Forks? Insist on cooking and cleaning for her father. She refuses to allow him to do any "typical woman's roles".

Then when Edward comes into the picture, she attaches herself to him. Throughout the books, she is always the helpless girl who can't do anything for herself, and is always rescued by either Edward or Jacob. She begs to be changed into a vampire (and only by Edward at that); she is willing to lose herself entirely for a man.

When Edward leaves in the second book, she is totally and completely lost. Her life no longer has meaning. That is, until another guy - Jacob - comes in. So what are these books teaching young teenage girls? That you're nothing without a man.

Sorry, but I think your English teacher's cracked.

Bella is not a satirical character. This is made obvious in interviews with Meyer, where she says things like this:

Tw Staff: Reading Twilight it came to me the story of Westley and Buttercup. Is Bella and Edward's love True Love like theirs?

Meyer: Actually Bella and Edward's love story is better than them. When I was in college, I wrote a lot of papers from a feminist perspective (it's an easy way to write) on the Princess Bride. Buttercup is an idiot and it doesn't bother anyone, all that matters is that she's beautiful, at the end she became a little more smart, but the female characters are very weak in that story. Westley is brave and smart and fights, Buttercup is just beautiful , it's her only thing, her brain means nothing, her personality means nothing to him, they have the kind of love where they can't live without each other. It's not a great example to me,  I couldn't find one who was a really good comparison to me, I mean, Elizabeth Bennet and Mr.Darcy is pretty good, except you should think that if either one of them dies the other one will carry on bravely, and Romeo and Juliet were kind of idiots, they didn't know each other very well.

She clearly thinks that Bella is a proper female protagonist, whose relationship is even better than that of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy.

But I'd think that the grammatical errors alone would make most English teachers turn up their noses. You should show him the Reasoning with Vampires tumblr that Nix posted.

Regardless of what the author thinks, my English teacher still saw it the way I posted above, and that's the point I was getting at. tongue.gif

Also, my English teacher doesn't care about grammar or spelling... "just because you can't write a language doesn't mean you can't speak it". sleep.gif I'm grammar-obsessive myself, so I'm missing the bonus "grammar and spelling" points that I've received in past years. xd.png

Meyer DID get that bit right that R+J were idiots. :U Though, as I've been told, the love itself isn't the main point Shakespeare wanted to portray, he was more interested in making a tragedy during which the audience would again and again hope that things will turn out for good. No, I am not dissing Shakespeare, only Romeo and Juliet's characters.

Edited by lightbird

Meyer DID get that bit right that R+J were idiots. :U

And trumps that by failing to realize that Princess Bride was satire (or parody or something) and R+J was tragedy.

She says W/B only have the kind of love that means they can't live without each other...what do B/E have? That, but abusive and poorly written.

I've not read Princess Bride, but if you say that it's satire, I may want to do it now.

Well, in the interview I posted, she said that she wrote it just for her own enjoyment. It's quite scary to think that she considers abusive relationships entertaining.

I can't say that, given the way the series spins out, I agree with your teacher's assessment. I'd think that if Bella was meant to be an example of 'what not to do,' she wouldn't get everything and a bag of chips in her happy ending. But she does.

And... how does your teacher justify grammar mistakes in a published book? Writing is not speaking. Writing can and should be edited so that it is grammatically correct. The fact that Twilight is so painfully not just bespeaks laziness on Meyer's and her editor's part.

I've not read Princess Bride, but if you say that it's satire, I may want to do it now.

Well, in the interview I posted, she said that she wrote it just for her own enjoyment. It's quite scary to think that she considers abusive relationships entertaining.

I haven't read it either, but I think that's what someone else in the thread said before. (I just love the movie. xd.png)

Yeah, apparently in just a couple months too. I have to wonder what her husband thinks of all this.

I can't say that, given the way the series spins out, I agree with your teacher's assessment. I'd think that if Bella was meant to be an example of 'what not to do,' she wouldn't get everything and a bag of chips in her happy ending. But she does.

And... how does your teacher justify grammar mistakes in a published book? Writing is not speaking. Writing can and should be edited so that it is grammatically correct. The fact that Twilight is so painfully not just bespeaks laziness on Meyer's and her editor's part.

He never said that's what the author intended the meaning to be... that's just how it played out, and if you read it and analyze it that way, it would be good for education. (He said they wished you could read twilight in schools... @_@)

And idk, that's just what he says. I agree with you on the grammar. xd.png

He never said that's what the author intended the meaning to be... that's just how it played out, and if you read it and analyze it that way, it would be good for education. (He said they wished you could read twilight in schools... @_@)

And idk, that's just what he says. I agree with you on the grammar. xd.png

But when you DO look at how the series plays out, Bella is whiny and selfish and submissive, but she gets everything she ever wanted and then some all handed to her.

Nah, kid's will get exposed to stuff like Twilight on their own. If you can find some popular modern pieces that are also well written, sure, add it to the curriculum. Twilight though... too few kids would keep the 'What not to do' frame of mind while reading it. I'd rather surround 'em with good examples than bad ones.

Edward is a fairy, Bella is a Mary-Sue and Jacob is a pedophile. Deal with it.

+1

I read the books, all of them in 7th grade. After in 6th they were recommended for me by the school libarian.

in 8th I sold them to a fangirl for 20 bucks. It was a box set and I wanted SOME cash instead of throwing them away...

Now I'm rereading Look for me by moonlight, it has a abusive relation ship in it. A whiny teenage girl, only this time the vampire *DOES* want to kill her. heck if it wasn't for the ghosts of his past IDK how many Vicitoms making sure the guy burned to death he would have

If Edward in the end, had just wanted to take bella someplace he could off her, after raping (though I think with her sex addiction it'd be consensual) seducing, and above all else just ruining her, before finally killing her, a silver bullet in the heart after too keep her from rising as a vampire herself would work wonders too.

I used to be as obsessed as any other crazed Twilight fan, but now it's just boring to me. Totally over it. I went from Edward to Jacob pretty quickly, then to just disliking it in general. Also, I don't think Taylor Lautner is that great of an actor. Nothing is really believable and I saw him on SNL and it wasn't funny with him. The first movie was good, but I saw the second one and it blew. I didn't watch anything after that.

Can't find a topic in Visual Media. Sadface.

Breaking Dawn trailer is out.

Gogogogo.

Gogogogo.

1:17

user posted image

PUT A WARNING ON THAT, NIX!

Edited by Dr. Paine

I liked how someone I follow on Twitter summarized the trailer: Someone opening a wedding invitation and looking horrified.

Really, it looks like it'll be soap. With dramatic music. As in, dramatic music, and nothing happens.

Gogogogo.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

They've used the music from the wonderful Two Steps From Hell!!!!!!!

That's sin!!!!

Here it is;

Edited by DragonNighthowler

I just saw the Out-Of-Context-New-Moon... Hilarious. laugh.gif

On a more disturbig note, Next (or was it Argos? I don't recall.) sells a small range of Twilight jewelery. I saw it when I was flicking through the catalog and just thought 'Please, Lestat, come and kill me- life is not worth living now.' Team Edward and Team Jacob necklaces... It really was that horrible. I bet I could find pictures, though...

(Incidentally, I'm on Team Otto Von Chriek. "Put zem up in zer tradition of Ankh-Morpork pugelism!")

First book got me hooked. I love the passion. The second broke my heart. How could he leave her? The third zinged with excitement. The boys fighting for her. The fourth made me happy. There was a happy ending.

This was the first time I read it. The second time, I wondered why the heck she went back to Edward. Some people are team Jacob 'cuz of that. But I think Bella and Edward are like Jacob's imprinting. They need eachother (on more 'make us happy' not just 'make her happy') Plus, Renesme is for Jacob and I wish I could see them together when she grew up happy.gif

I hate the movies. Hate them. The ONLY reason I watch them is to see Taylor shirtless.

I do have to ask a question, since you seem to be the first person I've seen who does support that...pair.

Does it disturb you that, for all intents and purposes, a teenager- who is actually quite close to being an adult, legally, and is physically at their peak- is going to have a sexual relationship with someone that is nearly two decades his junior, and he found attractive while still an egg? Or on another note... Quil, is it? The one that imprinted on the two year old.

Or do you deny the inherent sexual implications of imprinting? (This is also ignoring all the child grooming issues that come up... I'd link to to some good rants involving all that, but they contain some swears, so I can't x3)

Edited by Dr. Paine

Oh, god, guys, just let it die. Twilight is any other romance novel out there. And all romance novels have these bad undertones. The key is to not take any of it deeply or seriously, throw yourself in Bella's shoes so you can have men fight over you, and then just have a good laugh when you're done. They paired Jacob up with her kid so he'd have a happy ending with a character we had never seen before. That's all there is to this.

This isn't a real deep book, guys. Don't bother taking it seriously. Your energy that could be better spent dissecting other books will just go to waste.