Branndi

Twilight

Funny. I wouldn't consider Twilight romance. Different feel and not the market it was pitched at. Just very happy to bank the romance dollars.

Like the Kardashians I find myself very confused about what all the Twilight fuss is about. So I should stop talking about it in the vain hope it all might go away.

lol

blink.gif

Funny. I wouldn't consider Twilight romance. Different feel and not the market it was pitched at. Just very happy to bank the romance dollars.

Really?

The plot is basically "They fall in love. The end."

Totally.

There's no shagging in it.

To me it read like nauseating teenage angsting obsession with indifferently researched paranormal elements and the dreaded love triangle of Mary Sue-ism mixed in.

A paranormal Young Adult story. Not a romance genre book at all.

Your mileage may vary of course.

smile.gif

Pride and Prejudice is widely regarded as the best romance ever written, but there aren't exactly a whole lot of steamy bedroom scenes in that...

A romance doesn't need to have sex to be a romance. But Twilight does have sex in it. Just takes until the last book. Since the books revolve around two people and the main focus is on the progression of their romantic relationship, it does qualify as a romance. And since the whole vampire/werewolf sub-plot was such a non-issue since before it was even acknowledged (Bella was never NOT going to be with Edward, even if he was a vampire trying to kill her or if the wolves/other vampires were going to kill both of them), that the paranormal aspect seems to be the part that hardly counts.

I am a fan but usually have to keep it a bit secret because of the haters -_-

my friend got me into the twilight saga because she said it was really good and it had werewolves in it that look like giant wolves. i was immeditly intreged. So I watched the 1st movie and loved it, then I read New Moon, Eclipse then Breaking Dawn. Then finally bought the 2nd & 3rd movies on dvd after reading their books. My personal opinion is that the movies weren't as good as the books. Allot of things weren't accurate in the movies as it was in the book. And was slightly dissapointed. But I still like the movies. The way they have done the wolves is great! They looks so cute XD

My favourite one has to be eclipse, because of the big fight. It was just so nice, and the way everything was put together.

And I have to say I HATE reading, it takes so long and I usually get bored of a book and have to read another, but the saga was different I read 2,3 & 4 in about 2 months! Which is really good for me. I found it gripping and easy to read.

But personally I didn't really like the Breaking Dawn as much as the others, because of the *SPOILER ALERT!! IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK OR SEEN THE FILM THEN DON'T GO ANY FURTHER UNTIL I SAY END OF SPOILER! SPOILER ALERT!****** The whole pregnancy part and the birth and blood was kinda disgusting to me. And it wasn't a high school romance any more. Well there wasn't much romance there because of that.*SPOILER END! SPOILER END* but I do think it was a good way to end the saga.

And what I have heard of the new film is that it is very detailed which is good in someways but I don't want to see what I said in the spoiler in that much detail.

I am NOT a fangirl of any of the characters because 1) The book ones are fake and got their own lovers. ") I do not have a celebrity crush. I see it is pointless and creepy if I was them having strangers fancy me.

But I am a Team Jacob purely because he is a werewolf.

I read the first book and it is what I would categorize as a mindless read. That is, I just read on without being able to truly immerse myself in the story and connect with the characters. The book just fails to captivate at all. At least I got through Twilight. The second book was the one that I just couldn't bring myself to finish and I really hate to quit reading once I've started. All I remember of it is the girl's endless wallowing. Endless. DDDx

I read the first book and it is what I would categorize as a mindless read. That is, I just read on without being able to truly immerse myself in the story and connect with the characters. The book just fails to captivate at all. At least I got through Twilight. The second book was the one that I just couldn't bring myself to finish and I really hate to quit reading once I've started. All I remember of it is the girl's endless wallowing. Endless. DDDx

^This.

One of the characters in my story endlessly mourns over his dead wife, but he IS insane, and sees hallucinations of himself killing her and their unborn child (which did happen and was necessary btw as she was dying quite painfully, which in turn was due to his jealous brother laying a curse on her) and other characters get tired of him very soon.

He also does not feature prominantly throughout the story, as it gets boring very soon.

I just cannot understand how ANYONE would choose to be near Bella in those wallowy moments of hers. I just want to kick her and tell het to start moving.

Edited by ylangylang

I just cannot understand how ANYONE would choose to be near Bella in those wallowy moments of hers. I just want to kick her and tell het to start moving.

This.

I personally can not stand to be around people who are constantly bemoaning their lot. I don't want to read about them, watch them on TV or listen to them. This probably makes me look unsympathetic, but I don't care.

Bella's big angst in the first book is that her boyfriend leaves her right? That happens everyday to hundreds of people (men and women) around the the planet. I bet not many of them spend the next few months in bed.

I suffered a terrible childhood with all kinds of abuse from various sources, but I never let it get me down. Yes, I had my moments of self pity when it really got to me, but I usually put on a brave face on and got on with my life. Getting on with things allowed me to move on.

Yet there are people out there who have suffered a lot more than I did. Despite everything that happened to me I was loved and I had a home. Some people don't even have that.

Reading about or listening to people like Bella, who treat an everyday problem faced by countless others like it's the end of the world sicken me. There are people who have really and truely been to hell and back. Bella is an insult to everyone of them.

Bella's big angst in the first book is that her boyfriend leaves her right? That happens everyday to hundreds of people (men and women) around the the planet. I bet not many of them spend the next few months in bed.

Wait, she did that for months? MONTHS? MONTHS?!!

I thought it was weeks!

Oh god, I feel like crawling under a rock. Maybe if it was two or three days I'd understand but months?

*Throws hands in the air*

Wait, she did that for months? MONTHS? MONTHS?!!

I thought it was weeks!

Oh god, I feel like crawling under a rock. Maybe if it was two or three days I'd understand but months?

*Throws hands in the air*

Nope, as far as I've learned Bella mopes for three months after Edward leaves her in New Moon (or whichever is the second book).

Sorry my bad, it was the second book not the first.

But yeah, as Soup says I think it was about three months.

And then she starts playing stupid death seeking games.

*Screams and bangs head against wall*

What's even scarier is that this is supposed to be the ideal thing to do in an ideal relationship.

Edited by ylangylang

What's even scarier is that this is supposed to be the ideal thing to do in a relationship.

That's one of my biggest concerns about this series, especially given its target audience.

"Hey all you fourteen year olds girls! What, you didn't try to kill yourself after your boyfriend dumped you? Then you didn't love him enough and you're a horrible person!"

That's one of my biggest concerns about this series, especially given its target audience.

"Hey all you fourteen year olds girls! What, you didn't try to kill yourself after your boyfriend dumped you? Then you didn't love him enough and you're a horrible person!"

Reminds me of an actual question one of my small cousins had after watching a lady gaga music video(I left my laptop unattended for too long)-

"Why does the woman kill her boyfriend? Is that an appropriate thing to do?"

We had a long talk after.

How old/young was the cousin?

I think she was ten at the time, so she didn't really understand what was going on, but still..I deliberately turn off my computer/private stuff whenever my cousins come to visit now though :/ She's a happy pre-teen though, and I think whatever thoughts about relationships she'd had from that experience is pretty much gone.

Well I'm glad she had someone on hand to set things straight. smile.gif

Thanks. I dunno, it seems that currently, too many books/music videos/movies are overdramatic about romantic relationships in my opinion. Makes all the fun out of real relationships-you know, the small but really touching stuff-worthless. Everyone wants a mindblowing, out-of-this-world, we're-meant-for-each-other sort of relationships these days.

Ha. And she's supposed to be a strong, independent character. Or so Meyer insists. Well, my bum is also strong and independent.

Ah, I suppose it's okay to double post now.

Anyway, I found an AWESOME fic about three characters from Supernatural (Dean, Sam & Castiel) team up with Leah and do some EPIC ***kicking. xd.png

I present you The Wedding Crashers by Das Mervin!

Contains strong language, some violence, some hot, hot suggestive themes and so much epic awesomeness your head might explode.

Edited by LwyllasLaVey

I really liked the Twilight books and Breaking Dawn was my favorite. I didn't like the movies, though. I only watched the first one. I really hope she finishes writing Midnight Sun.

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SERIES! Can't wait until midnight sun comes out!!

Just wanting to share something my boyfriend made mention of last night while we were driving back to my house...

It is determined by the series that Edward is cold and is always cold (because apparently vampires are too awesome to work according to proper physics and absorb heat). Specifically this goes to the point of the series were they actually have sex.

Warm(er) human + ice cold vampire + sex does not = fun times in the bedroom. That equals pain and lots of it. Makes me almost feel bad for the would-be heroine...almost.

I have to think that always calling him "ice-cold" was exaggerating in order to sounds more purple. Wouldn't they give off that freezer-steam-stuff if it was literal? I don't know, maybe the venom operates at a lower temperature? Blah blah convoluted trying to justify her crap.

Well... they ought to only be whatever temperature their surroundings are. Their bodies are essentially dead, no pulse, no breath... unless the chemical reactions in their bodies actually draw heat, they should be room temperature. It just seems exceptionally cold because you expect people's skin to be warm. If they really didn't want to deal with the temperature difference, he could've just bought an electric blanket...