Branndi

Twilight

I find the Twilight saga awesome happy.gif When it first came out, my younger sister was obsessed with it, and she let me read it when she was finished and I was instantly hooked smile.gif The relationship between Edward and Bella reminds me so VERY much of my boyfriend and I happy.gif I know there are some people who don't like the Twilight saga for the fact that there's "not enough fighting", but to each his/her own smile.gif Each book is unique in its own way and tells the story brilliantly in my opinion. I do wonder if Midnight Sun will become published or not huh.gif I hope so, for I find it interesting knowing that it's the first book through Edward's point of view smile.gif

I also shudder at their relationship being the one between you and your boyfriend. Had an experience with my ex that was mentally scarring in so many ways that I didn't start really realizing until almost two years later. Mental screwery is not fun.

Also they have the chemistry of butter and toast...actually, that's a bad analogy as butter and toast is fantastic. Oil and water? No, no, they actually repel each other. Ah...Styrofoam and oil! Can be combined together to make napalm (srsly) but generally not a very good idea (y'know, explodey).

Aaaand I'm rambling (mostly) because I just watched the latest episode of Doctor Who and some other Whovian extra stuff. Back to my analogy though. Oil and Styrofoam. Right. Because she wants him because he's supposedly unobtainable by the female population and all mysterious or whatever (*wavey hands* Ooooh, the MYSTERIOUS Cullens!). And he wants her because she's a deliciously smelling curiosity ("She smells like a $80 meal AND I can't read her mind! I must discover why!"). What a thing to build a relationship on. Oh, look, I have two Ands and a Because starting sentences in this paragraph - so grammatically screwed. Don't care, not writing it for caring.

Yes, the building BUILDING BUILDING and then bollocks is annoying. Don't build up to a DRAMATIC CLIMAX OF DRAMATICA if you're not actually going to give one because A ) what's the point? and B ) wow, what a let-down. I expected AWESOME and received BUPKIS. Also there's that bit about tearing the page out of Merchant of Venice which is - letters again! - A ) butchering a book, stop that! and B ) mentioning the Bard does not make your story automatically good (which is what it seems to be, to me, a big flag-waving HEY LOOK AT WHAT I'M REFERENCING I'M SO EDUMACATED insert).

The build-up lackage isn't my only issue with the series but I've gone into that before in this topic - quite vehemently, in fact - and I really don't want to get into it again. I'll just get angry and there's my cat is currently in my lap that I currently don't want to upset (claws and cat's hate surprises) and I'm buzzing along happily on a cheerful Whovian fueled ramble. Don't want to screw that up (the cheerful, not the ramble).

Last thing, given the whole hissy fit Meyer went through when that book was released on the internet, I'm going to say 'no' to it ever getting published. Also reading snippets of it (via Mark Reads) only further put me off of Edward's character because Dear Sweet Jumping Gods and Goddesses there are so many things wrong with him. Not the Prince Charming he's "supposed" to be (loads of sarcasm on those quotes). Not even in the same zip code, NO, not even in the same UNIVERSE. Or time period.

I'm going to take my cheerfully rambling self away now and go...do something. Because this post is going into the TL;DR range.

Random edit: PAINE YOU HAVE A NORMANDY TARDIS IN YOUR SIGNATURE. THAT IS FANTASTIC. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by terioncalling

Last thing, given the whole hissy fit Meyer went through when that book was released on the internet, I'm going to say 'no' to it ever getting published.

Oh, I'm sure one of these days the allure of extending her Twilight riches will overcome her indignation over the leak...

Oh, I'm sure one of these days the allure of extending her Twilight riches will overcome her indignation over the leak...

And I honestly think she was the one who leaked it. I believe she got tired of writing it and didn't know how to anounce it without angering her fans, therefore she leaked it on purpose and made up a ridiculous story about being so hurt and so...

I happen to find there is more chemistry between the Volvo and Bella's truck, than between the two main characters.

I shudder to think you have a similar relation with your boyfriend. I honestly hope you're being a bit exagerated, because Edward and Bella's relationship reminds me of the one I had with my ex, and I tell you, it was not pleasant. He abused me, never phisically, but I'm still not fully recovered from the months I spent with him, and that was 6 years ago.

Agreed completely with Stromboli. I've read books that don't have huge fights of any sort. For example, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, does not show any battle. Nor does it build any battle.

If there is not going to be a fight, simply do not build it. Don't spend any effort describing a shotgun sitting on that shelf in the room unless someone is going to use it later on. It's a main principle of writing, one that Meyer skips one too many times.

When I said that my boyfriend and I are like Edward and Bella, I wasn't referring it in a way you all think. I was merely stating that Edward and Bella are from two different worlds (vampire and mortal) and that they would risk their lives just to be with each other, and it's similar to my boyfriend and I (I'm from Canada, he's from the U.S.) and that we'd do the same just to be together. I wasn't in any way saying that we both play mental games or the like with each other. Why you all think that's what I was talking about I have no idea....

(Maybe I shouldn't have even posted anything here.... seeing how I'm being made fun of sad.gif)

Edited by FluffyPillow

I also shudder at their relationship being the one between you and your boyfriend. Had an experience with my ex that was mentally scarring in so many ways that I didn't start really realizing until almost two years later. Mental screwery is not fun.

reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/tagged/Bellusional Bella post-Edward is no bueno.

~Link broken for inappropriate tags; encouraging members to search for inappropriate tags removed~

For Bella in general:

LONE.

reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/tagged/Isablahhh Bleh.

Oh, look, I have two Ands and a Because starting sentences in this paragraph - so grammatically screwed. Don't care, not writing it for caring.

New Moon needs new words.

B ) mentioning the Bard does not make your story automatically good (which is what it seems to be, to me, a big flag-waving HEY LOOK AT WHAT I'M REFERENCING I'M SO EDUMACATED insert).

Boom

Other:

Most famously, SENTENCES ARE NOT MINIVANS FREIGHT TRAINS.

reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/tagged/om-nom-nom_danger "Bella's perpetual willingness to sacrifice herself is a very empty gesture when there's no indication that she values her own life."

Reading this in the Old Spice Guy voice still does not make it right

Meyer cheats

I could go on, but I think you get it.

Grr f bombs in links mean I can't share. Sadface.

~Links broken for inappropriate tags~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

And I honestly think she was the one who leaked it. I believe she got tired of writing it and didn't know how to anounce it without angering her fans, therefore she leaked it on purpose and made up a ridiculous story about being so hurt and so...

Oh, we threw that theory around a lot when the leak first happened. It was right after everyone started jumping ship on account of how terrible Breaking Dawn was. We were fairly sure it was a ploy to get people interested again.

FluffyPillow - I don't think anyone's trying to make fun of you. It's just that when we step back from the story and look at Bella and Edward's relationship, all we see is a weird kind of lusting and a bunch of psycho-mindgames. If you don't get into the analysis, and take the whole thing as Meyer presents it in the book, I can see how people could want that kind of devotion.

Personally, I can't get over the creep factor. Edward is just weird. He stalks her, kidnaps her, bribes family members to kidnap her, tells her things like how he would kill himself if something happened to her (which is more creepy than romantic), puts her down in ways that are apparently supposed to be cute and teasing but really just shows how little he actually understands her (the one thing Bella ever talks about being proud of is that she's smart and well-read but Edward often tells her that she's just silly and doesn't seek or heed her input on anything).

PS, Nix, your first couple of links are broken due to censorkip.gif

Edited by Stromboli

PS, Nix, your first couple of links are broken due to censorkip.gif

/facepalm

I'm retarded today.

Freaking f bombs.

/shuffles off to change

Does it look like I'm making fun of you?

I'm sincerely worried that this is the "perfect love" model that's expanding through the minds of Twilight readers, when it is not, in any possible way, healthy or true love.

*sighs* I understand what you're saying, but if that's what you all think I'M saying, I'm not...... Yes, I know Edward can be a bit... immature or selfish, but I was saying that all the other qualities that both Bella and Edward posses, like wanting to protect each other by any means necessary, and sure they're not perfect, but what person isn't? No one's perfect, and just because my boyfriend and I find similarities between us and Bella and Edward, doesn't make it wrong. We're perfectly happy with each other, but just because no one can understand that, it's wrong? I'm sorry I'm I seem a little upset, and if this is going off-topic, but what you (not anyone personally) believe to be normal, might not be for someone else and vice-versa. Sure Edward and Bella have their differences, and so do we, but just for saying that we find similar things about them that we find in ourselves, it's wrong? That I don't understand.

It's not their differences or their attempts to overcome them that's the issue with Bella and Edward. It's not even that they're not perfect that's the problem. It's that their relationship is downright dangerous (and not simply in the 'he wants to break her open and suck her dry' sense), yet being passed off as perfect that's the problem.

I am not saying that your relationship in any way resembles the toxicity of Edward and Bella's, but many aspects of their relationship are just not healthy. Hence why, when people say they have or want a relationship like theirs, we tend to question.

When I said that my boyfriend and I are like Edward and Bella, I wasn't referring it in a way you all think. I was merely stating that Edward and Bella are from two different worlds (vampire and mortal) and that they would risk their lives just to be with each other, and it's similar to my boyfriend and I (I'm from Canada, he's from the U.S.) and that we'd do the same just to be together. I wasn't in any way saying that we both play mental games or the like with each other. Why you all think that's what I was talking about I have no idea....

(Maybe I shouldn't have even posted anything here.... seeing how I'm being made fun of sad.gif)

I go to that automatically because I don't see anything good in their relationship. He's controlling (and stalkery) and her life falls apart without him in it. I know in high school it feels like that in relationships but toting that kind of thing as perfection rubs me wrong.

Comparing them because of the two worlds thing, that's a comparison I can understand. Apologies for jumping straight to the mental screwery of the relationship but, as stated, that's automatically what I go to for that.

*sighs* I understand what you're saying, but if that's what you all think I'M saying, I'm not...... Yes, I know Edward can be a bit... immature or selfish, but I was saying that all the other qualities that both Bella and Edward posses, like wanting to protect each other by any means necessary, and sure they're not perfect, but what person isn't? No one's perfect, and just because my boyfriend and I find similarities between us and Bella and Edward, doesn't make it wrong. We're perfectly happy with each other, but just because no one can understand that, it's wrong? I'm sorry I'm I seem a little upset, and if this is going off-topic, but what you (not anyone personally) believe to be normal, might not be for someone else and vice-versa. Sure Edward and Bella have their differences, and so do we, but just for saying that we find similar things about them that we find in ourselves, it's wrong? That I don't understand.

No, no one's perfect, but there are a lot of readers who think this relationship is the end-all-be-all of relationships and it's really not. Sure, SOME of the traits they display are admirable ones but some are just downright scary. And, combined with the scary, the admirable traits tend to get tossed out the proverbial window.

You see loyalty where I see a possessive personality, overly dependant, and downright scary. From how you're picturing it, your relationship resembles nothing to that of Bella and Edward, and that is a great thing, I assure you.

If anything, I'm more reminded to Catti Brie and Drizzt sort of relationship, which is far better, as these two people are willing to sacrifice everything for the other, yet remain strong characters (of sorts), and Drizzt sees Catti Brie as someone admirable, valiant and ferocious, who does not need his assistance because she's very capable of fending by herself.

When a fellow user says they are feeling attacked, it is time to apologize and back off. Thanks.

I am a firm hater of Twilight and I am going to explain why in a calm, reasonable manner~ (I am sorry if this seems long but I had a lot of points to make)

I've never found the books exciting to read, and my mild obsession with grammar drives me nuts every time I read passages from the book. That tumblr, Reasoning with Vampires, offers some very good examples as to just how awkward and unappealing Meyer's writing is.

In addition to that, while I have never been fond of sappy romances as a whole, this series simply took the cake. A boy and girl meet, fall in love within a week or two, then proceed to angst over each other. Bella goes into an ANGST COMA over Edward. That is some serious obsession and separation anxiety for a guy you haven't even known a year. I angst-ed less over the ex-boyfriend I had known for three years.

And then you have the ETERNAL question: Edward or Jacob?? Honestly neither of the relationships seemed like healthy ones and Bella was obsessed with both of them to unhealthy levels. She stalked Jacob over the phone and Edward stalked Bella. Obsession and stalking does not equal true love and romance.

Bella, Bella, Bella...this girl drove me up the walls. She is disrespectful to the people who genuinely cared for her, such as her father, and she is a constant Debbie Downer. Every time she described something in a remotely hopeful fashion, she somehow managed to flip it on its' head by the end of the sentence.

Bright, sunny morning? "Everything is awful forever my life is horrible sob sob".

Now let's move on to Stephanie Meyer. Not only was her writing often very disjointed and juvenile, but I never found her plots or characters that well-defined. She never gave Bella...or Edward...or Jacob...or many other characters interesting and three-dimensional personalities. They're all flat, like cardboard cutouts with flowery descriptive words written on them in an effort to give them structure.

Not to mention the character Bella is basically a self-insert of Meyer herself. Self-inserts = bad.

I think what irritated people the most about the books is the way Meyer portrayed vampires. Vampires do not sparkle. Sparkling should be reserved exclusively for cleaning product commercials and the Home and Garden Network (EVERY SINGLE DESIGNER sparkles, I swear).

SPOILERS FOR LATER BOOKS:

Bella's kid, whose name I can't even remember how to spell, not only tried to chew her way out of her teenage mother's belly, but she will ALSO come of age in seven years. This is what I found to be most ridiculous, even compared to sparkling vampires. Meyer basically wrote for a little girl to imprint on the big bad wolf Jacob and mature in time for Jacob to try to court her.

Jacob would be trying to have a relationship with a seven year old. Meyer only wrote this so that poor Jacob wouldn't be forever alone at the end of the series. That's no reason to include something that many people consider pedophilia.

All in all, a poorly written series about a self-insert who has all the boys fighting over her, with plot holes that get either sloppily covered as the books are written, if not ignored all together. Sounds like a bad fanfiction, doesn't it?

Oh, and Stephanie Meyer was inspired for the story by a dream she had, of a sparkling vampire laying in a meadow. You can tell a lot of preliminary thought went into that.

first of all I am obsessed I've gone to two movie premieres for this and have my ticket to the first breaking dawn one. anyways my face is when Edward says to Bella "and so the lion fell in love with the lamb"

Bah, never read the books, never will. Not to say that I don't have anything against people who love the series (my best friend is a total Twilight nut), but cliche sappy teenage romance just doesn't appeal to me.

Though I do give Stephanie credit for coming up with a way to make a very cliche sort of teen paranormal romance so popular and so easily enjoyed. Maybe the only reason I hate the series is that the movie sucked, after all. *shrugs*

i read twighlight into the night, i think i actually read one night till dawn they were that good! when i read a book now, i compare it to twighlight and see if i can love that book aswell, the only series that has come close is trueblood.

True but try the Mary Sue test on Twilight Characters: http://www.ponylandpress.com/ms-test.html

There are at least a minimum of twenty five clicks alone for the Cullens. In Appearance, character, Immortal. and so on.

I did the test based on Edward Cullen and what I knew I got a score of 65 -which in this case is an Uber Sue - or Gary Stu instead of Mary Sue.

0-10 points: The Anti-Sue. Your character is the very antithesis of a Mary-Sue. Why are you even taking this test?

11-20 points: The Non-Sue. Your character is a well-developed, balanced person, and is almost certainly not a Mary Sue. Congratulations!

21-35 points: Borderline-Sue. Your character is cutting it close, and you may want to work on the details a bit, but you're well on your way to having a lovely original character. Good work.

36-55 points: Mary-Sue. Your character needs some work in order to be believable. But despair not; you should still be able to salvage her with a little effort. Don't give up.

56-70 points: Über-Sue. You've got one hell of a Mary-Sue on your hands here, and it's not going to be easy to set things right. But do your best. There may be hope for you yet.

71 points or more: Irredeemable-Sue. You're going to have to start over, my friend. I know you want to keep writing, but no. Just no.

I'm STILL amazed I managed to make a werepyre assassin without him being a Mary-Sue- probably because he's a bit of a git, hardly anyone likes him even if he tries to make friends, and he basically has no moral compass. And he actually gets punished for his crimes.

He scored nineteen. smile.gif

love: THE BOOKS - was a massive fan of the books for years b4 the film came out.

hate: Not such a fan of the films, and all the 'over hype' has ruined it for me. If that makes sense.

@ Jackal: This whole super aging of the demon spawn kid of B & E, do they grow up mentally as well as physically? I've never read the books so I'm a bit hazy on this.

meh I....liked i guess the first book a little. (mainly read it cause i was bored and wanted to see what the fuss was about) I didnt really enjoy it there are just so many better vamp books out there at turn Twilight Saga on its knees... I really didnt like the ending and the movies, While watching the first movie i was hoping that Jasper went mad and killed the whole lot... then we would have to worry about the other books....heheh

dont take this personally twilight fans this is just my opinion

@ Jackal: This whole super aging of the demon spawn kid of B & E, do they grow up mentally as well as physically? I've never read the books so I'm a bit hazy on this.

From what I understand of the kid, yes, she does.

So....a baby to an adult(?) in seven years? Not much of a childhood.

Then again, the alternative is (in my opinion) even worse.

Funnily enough, we just watched an episode of To Catch A Predator in my Criminology lecture... Why do I see a version with Jacob, the Ikkle Chestburster and some policemen with silver handcuffs? o3o

(And if someone says Jacob's a werewolf that's not allergic to silver I will actually vomit in pure rage.)

Edited by Ruins