Branndi

Twilight

team edward? team jacob? How bout team i dont give a bleep?

i hate twilight. i got a headache before the movie was even a third over. the books are stupid too.

Edited by Sinornis

The books were okay, and the movie is pretty screwed up.

I mean I don't really care for the series, but I don't understand the hate it gets. Sure it's a bit corny and Bella is bordered mary-sue, but really it's not that bad.

The books were okay, and the movie is pretty screwed up.

I mean I don't really care for the series, but I don't understand the hate it gets. Sure it's a bit corny and Bella is bordered mary-sue, but really it's not that bad.

For most of us I don't think its even the book itself that makes us rage so much. It's the fans that proclaim it the best book ever or that Bella/Edward have such a great romance that make us look like this:

user posted image

Or, alternatively:

user posted image

Because it glosses over obsessive/stalker-ish/controlling/borderline violent situations as "true love"? I don't get why people don't understand this.

Edited by ylangylang

Because it glosses over obsessive/stalker-ish/controlling/borderline violent situations as "true love"? I don't get why people don't understand this.

Kids tend to like that stuff. Being obsessed over is a lot of people's guilty pleasure, and Meyer made effort into making that trait apparent :'V

"Look for Me by Moonlight" is nothing but obsession, and I have to admit I love that book.

Kids tend to like that stuff. Being obsessed over is a lot of people's guilty pleasure, and Meyer made effort into making that trait apparent :'V

"Look for Me by Moonlight" is nothing but obsession, and I have to admit I love that book.

You know, not everyone likes that stuff?

Not when it gets posted everywhere. Have you ever thought about the impact it has on people? Some people could possibly think of such obsessive behavior as true love and so they can become more susceptible to abuse. Besides, it's an insult to people who have been victims of stalking and such.

The thing about twilight is that it's marketed towards a young audience. To them, that sort of obsessive or violent behavior is normalized and even glamorized within the context of those books. They can very well become perpetrators or victims of those obsessive tendencies.

Yes most likely, which is horribly sad that they'd take a fictional book to begin with and try to make it become a reality for them.

Yes most likely, which is horribly sad that they'd take a fictional book to begin with and try to make it become a reality for them.

It happens a lot.

Honestly, I find it damn hypocritical that if you, say, glamorize taking drugs or even smoking cigarettes in a novel or some media marketed towards teens and children, it gets frowned upon and there's a massive outcry about family values and whatnot, but when someone glamorizes an obsessive, unhealthy, violent relationship, it's "okay."

Whatever.

Edited by ylangylang

I even liked Twilight series for a while, then my taste in literature changed and i realized that these vampires are just sparkling weirdos, werewolves are just dogs that have catched fever and etc. smile.gif

Hmm ... Twilight is really not something I can say I like that much. Throughly, I do not understand the fervor of obsession people have with vampires. I don't see the appeal of them, or Edward, for that matter, LOL.

P.S. - If I were Bella, I would've picked Jake. LOL. Just saying. wink.gif

the one thing i love about twilight is that vampires have the ability be vegetarian and not feed off humans,and the way they sparkle. lol

the one thing i love about twilight is that vampires have the ability be vegetarian and not feed off humans,and the way they sparkle. lol

I don't like how they call them "vegetarian." They are still drinking blood, are they not? They are not draining the energy from vegetables are they? If they are still harming animals, even if they are not humans, that is not vegetarian by any definition I know.

Except they're not. If they were vegetarian they would be feeding off vegetables, like Nectaris pointed out. I will give them kudos for chosing not to feed on humans though.

I haven't read the books, but is it ever mentioned what they do with the animal they have drained? Do they just leave it in the forrest for wild animals to scavenge or what?

The sparkling thing is something I will never be able to wrap my head around. Everything else could be accepted with a pinch large bucket of salt, but the sparkle? No. It just seems stupid.

I actually find that "not feeding in humans" is a trait that's getting kind of old. I won't critizice Twilight for it as it not something about the book that irks me. It is, after all, a matter more of preferences and not really something technical. But I do long for a more violent sort of vampire protagonist. It is easy to "love" a goody old shoes that tries against odds to be noble, but much more challenging when said character is a dangerous predator and likes what he is with no remorse.

I haven't read the books, but is it ever mentioned what they do with the animal they have drained? Do they just leave it in the forrest for wild animals to scavenge or what?

The sparkling thing is something I will never be able to wrap my head around. Everything else could be accepted with a pinch large bucket of salt, but the sparkle? No. It just seems stupid.

When Bella hunted for the first time she just threw away the body, so I guess they leave them be.

The stupidest thing? Meyer tried to explain it as biological thing; something to do with cells being harder then your normal cells. No it didn't make any sense. Especially when you have werewolves that are just being hand waved as "magical". Can't see why she didn't do the same thing for her vampires.

Edited by PointOfOrigin

Funny<- I found this hilarious!

Funny2<-This too

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Not liking. Haven't read, saw a very little of a film(was bored), saw jokes about overly attached fans. If it was something of a new race with gemophilia - maybe it would be something... more acceptible.

But not sparkly vampires, please =(

I honestly don't care if her vampires sparkle. It doesn't matter. It's her book, she could have made them glow in the dark for all I care. Even if her explanation didn't make biological sense, I thought the concept itself was creative. I tend to like a unique idea every once in a while.

Not that I'm a fan of her books, but I don't think they're the most deplorable things out there.

Imprinting scares me. It's like being force fed a love potion that will make you love one random person. Who is somehow your soul mate.

I don't believe in soul mates. I have math to back me up.

The fact that Renesmee can exist squicks me.

Edited by ArdereV