Branndi

Twilight

I haven't seen a topic about this series and upcoming movie, so I was just wondering if there were any other fans out there.

You know...so I don't feel alone in my obsession of this series Lol

And if you don't like the series, well you're welcomed to post anyway Lol

Just letting people know that there are some spoilers from Breaking Dawn and the other books in this topic. So if you haven't read the series or the last book, you're looking at your own risk.

Edit: For all those Twilight fans who haven't heard yet, the Twilight movie has been moved from December 12th to November 21st

Edited by Branndi

Love the first book.

Dislike the second for the most part.

Love the third book.

Don't want to wait until my birthday to read the fourth book. XP

My mom went and bought Breaking Dawn but now I have to wait to read it ><'

and all my versions are the big, bulky, hardcovers because I was getting them as they came out. XD'

I can't wait for Midnight Sun...

and I hope the movie isn't terrible.

EDIT: I also love The Host <3 Stephenie Meyer has such a beautiful writing style.

Edited by shikaru

I pre-ordered Breaking Dawn from Amazon and it will arrive Wednesday, so I am just anxiously biding my time Lol

The first book is definitely my favourite and I agree, I didn't like the second too much. I think it was because of the absence of Edward through most of it. And I thought the third one was pretty good too, but it did take me a little bit to get into it.

But I am weird....because I know Bella and Edward are the stars of the series....but I like bad guys better, so I was always wanting more Victoria, James, and Laurent Lol

I think the movie looks promising! I can't wait for it to come out and it looks like that hopefully we won't be disappointed. Cam makes such a good looking James too. And I think Robert is a pretty good looking Edward too.

Edited by Branndi

I think my problem with New Moon is that Bella just whines the whole time until Alice finally shows up. XP It was pretty much just her being depressed and stupid.

The third book amused me quite a lot. X3'

I have to say my favorite characters are Edward and Alice. Edward is very amusing, especially the way he reacts and thinks about things (which is why I can't wait for Midnight Sun. I read the first chapter on the website and it's amazing XD) and Alice is just....amazing. XDD

I don't like Bella very much, but I think that's mostly because we're listening to her thoughts which makes her seem ten times more selfish, whiny, and manipulative XP

My favourite characters would have to be James, Laurent, Victoria, Alice, Jasper, and Emmett.

Which because Jacob, Bella, and Edward aren't listed there, most people call me weird Lol

I was a fan at first, but now I hate the series. Though, out of the four, the second one is my favorite. I refuse to read the fourth one, so the sake of my sanity. To me, the books read like a long fanfiction, and frankly I don't see the appeal, or understand where all the hype is coming from.

I've made plenty of posts about it, about my reasons for hating it. Unfortunately I don't feel like dragging them out, considering this is a "fan" topic.

I hate Edward and Bella. However, I love/d Alice and Jasper.

Edited by Panlah

I feel bad for poor Jacob XP

@Panlah: You sound like my friend, only she wants to read the fourth book and only continues in hopes that Bella ends up in excrutiating pain xd.png'

I continue to read them because they just amuse me for some reason. I'm usually not one to like that type of book or fall into the usual bandwagon, but I read Twilight before it got really big, and I really like the author's writing style.

I was a fan at first, but now I hate the series. Though, out of the four, the first one is my favorite. I refuse to read the fourth one, so the sake of my sanity. To me, the books read like a long fanfiction, and frankly I don't see the appeal, or understand where all the hype is coming from.

I've made plenty of posts about it, about my reasons for hating it. Unfortunately I don't feel like dragging them out, considering this is a "fan" topic.

Well I say everyone is in entitled to their opinion and if you don't like the series, that's alright by me!

And if you ever felt like saying why you didn't like it then I wouldn't mind. Might actually be kind of interesting.

I was a fan at first, but now I hate the series. Though, out of the four, the first one is my favorite. I refuse to read the fourth one, so the sake of my sanity. To me, the books read like a long fanfiction, and frankly I don't see the appeal, or understand where all the hype is coming from.

I agree with this.

My mother bought me the 4th book a couple days ago (I didn't even know it was out yet). I'm reading it now for the sake of finishing the series, but is there going to be a 5th book? Is that what Midnight Sun is?

I agree with this.

My mother bought me the 4th book a couple days ago (I didn't even know it was out yet). I'm reading it now for the sake of finishing the series, but is there going to be a 5th book? Is that what Midnight Sun is?

Midnight Sun is the first book but from Edward's point of view instead of Bella's.

And as far as it is known right now, Midnight Sun will be the last book in the Twilight series. Stephenie is going to focus on her other series, which I believe is what the Host is.

I love Twilight. I'm now busy reading New Moon, but lately I'm not in the mood to read, so I'm not that far. I really need to read faster so I can read Eclipse after that. I'm borrowing them from a friend, and she's getting Breaking Dawn tomorrow, and I hate when people know things about books that I'm reading, but not finished. Haha. I also what to talk with them.

Anyway, I really like Edward and Jacob both. Team Switzerland ftw! Haha xd.png

I love that series! i like the first book the best, i' wasn't very fond of the second book though....

I can't wait to read Breaking Dawn!! xd.png

Well I say everyone is in entitled to their opinion and if you don't like the series, that's alright by me!

And if you ever felt like saying why you didn't like it then I wouldn't mind. Might actually be kind of interesting.

Lemme see if I can find all of the posts I've made and/or seen and agreed with.

I thought Twilight was predictable, the situations contrived, the characters aren't as intricate or substantial. The layout of the story, overall, is chaotic and disorganized. You can tell that the author knew sort of where she wanted to end up... but had no idea how she wanted to get there. And it's difficult to follow her meandering train of thought as she tries to evolve the plot. The characters she gave up on evolving. They are as unlikeable as possible, giving way to only selfishness and immaturity, with the exception of maybe Alice and a few of the other vampies.

And sexy does not equal likable. After reading Midnight Sun, I respect him a lot more. And I do understand now why he was worried about leaving Bella with Jacob.

Jacob went from being a minor character to a major character, but the character itself is a complete trainwreck of patheticness. I love rolling my eyes at him whenever he speaks in the books.

Bella is completely shallow, hooked in the beginning only by Edward's looks. We get it, he's beautiful... how about his amazing other quailties? She hardly mentions them. She is completely ungrateful, barely wanting to see her mother again before she is turned, despite her mother being such a huge influence on her life and her supposed "best friend." She whines, she moans, she complains, she wants, wants, wants. What does she ever give? Ever? She makes her father dinner... only after being condescending to him. She is rude to him and would actually choose some random guy she just met over her own father. What a horrible daughter. She isn't the least bit torn about it. She's just, "okay, bite me now, even though I've only known you a few months and will never see my parents again." She is completely spineless, she refuses to put her foot down to Edward when he refuses to let her see Jacob. I really wonder if him pushing her and Jacob apart made Bella want to see Jacob more. But that's besides the point. She let's her boyfriend, some guy, control her life. Everywhere she goes, everything she does... he is watching her. That's creepy. And she just let's him. And tries to escape him. She wants to leave her parents to live with her controlling boyfriend. Bella is a terrrible role model for teenage girls.

and also- i hate jacob. couldnt agree more that he is pathetic. however his character did devealop quite a bit which does deserve mentioning.

His character doesn't develop, that's the problem. He has no substance to him.

some of edwards amazing qualities dont apply to her- his mindreading for ex. its not that she doesnt contemplate his other qualities- like that day in the meadow where he basically showed her that he could kill her with a twitch- she just chooses not to dwell on the strength speed and cunning of a born killer.

You completely missed my point. I'm not taking about his physical qualities. Edward is always gentle with her, while Jacob is always crushing her when he hugs her. Edward is smart and thoughtful and brave. Bella never mentions those qualities. She only ever mentions how beautiful he is.

eclipse is about her seeing what life would be like if she didnt get bitten and making her choose between it. in that book she does think of her mom and charlie and Jacob

She thinks of Jacob, mostly. Over and over again. Renee was a complete afterthought. In fact, until Edward found those tickets and asked Charlie to go to Florida, Bella had no intentions of visiting her. Charlie was also a complete afterthought. She didn't think of him until the very end when she takes Edward to her house to tell Charlie they're getting married. She even says in the beginning of that book how she has to have her own life and everything. Own life is one thing, but to never see her parents again is so cruel beyond words.

her father really hasnt been fair to edward. he cant understand why he left and is being protective. but hes also being an ass that needs to stop pushing jacob and bella together every chance he gets.

bahaha, fair? Charlie thinks Edward hurt his daughter twice. The first time she fled to Phoenix. The second time he thinks he left her in the woods. She became catatonic and ran off to LA. Any caring father would have treated Edward the same way. He was more than fair to Edward. He was very polite to him when they first met and didn't even give Bella a curfew when she spent time with him. Of course her father is going to approve of Jacob, a long time friend who he knows and trusts. What good father wouldn't?

she doesnt put her foot down but still sees jacob anyway

Yeah, she sneaks away. She is a coward to not stand up to Edward. In real life, Bella's relationship with Edward would have been deemed abusive.

hes not controlling her life. he is in her life though- by her choice. he left and was about to kill himself before she came all the way to italy to save him. she wont let him go like he tries to convince her to

He is completely controlling her life. He won't let her see who she wants, go where she wants or talk to who she wants. On what planet isn't that controlling?

Edward also treats his family like **** and they completely put up with it. I feel bad for them.

abusive... just because bella get hurt all the time and is a klutz... he doesnt hurt her- physically or emotionally

Well, emotionally, yes, by saying who she can and can't spend her time with. That is a form of abuse.

And don't get me wrong... I love Edward. I think all men should be sparkly. I just wish he wasn't so controlling and I wish Bella would stand up to him.

If he hadn't have been so controlling, she might not have yearned for Jacob so much. You always want what you can't have. But I dunno, just an idea.

And Stephanie even said that Jacob has no tragic flaw. Meaning, he is somewhat one dimensional. His one goal is to have Bella. That's it.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/ecl_faq.html

sparks4pixie raises excellent points. They're relationship is cliched and the stories themselves are for a more particular genre of readers. (teeny-boppers, for lack of a better word). And I agree with what you said about how JKR wrote the characters. They are much better developed and you become emotionally involved with them, whether it be love, hate, respect or whatever.

I don't hate the Twilight series, obviously. I wouldn't have read all three books, and Midnight Sun, and I completely plan on pre-ordering Breaking Dawn. But I think it was just not as well written or as interesting as the HP series.

My post.. is too far back in the topic for me to bother and find.

Though the person I'm quoting is a fan of Twilight, she raises points I can't help but listen to. I was caught up in the developing hype and, as a sappy love-sick teenager was immensely drawn into this subpar little vampire fanfic, featuring the author and her self-insert Mary Sue, paired up with the most "omg!perfect" boyfriend. Not only this, but she has several other men fawning over her, and she turns up her nose at them. Why?

Edward is pretty. That is how I imagine their relationship, one built on beauty. Over the course of the books, Bella is obsessed with Edward simply because he's more beautiful than the other boys. There may be something more, but that's the kind of hint I get, going back and reading what she would say about him.

It was never, "My boyfriend came to save me? He's so sweet and brave. T_T" but rather, "Wow, he's so pretty. *_* And he saved me. LET'S BE IN LOVE!!" All she ever talks about is hot PRETTY HE IS.

And Jacob is a freaking pitiful and hateful character. He chases after Bella, when I personally see no qualities in her that is even the least attractive. . . he's a weird boy. I don't even want to think about it. .

The series just INFURIATES ME. I can't see how anyone can obsess over it like they do. What ticks me off even more than the series itself is the fanbase that crowds around it like a pack of ravenous literature wolves. A majority of girls that read Twilight obsess over Edward like a sex idol, and claim he's the perfect boyfriend and vampires are so hawt.

BAH. I see no appeal in a dead man, especially one like Edward. I didn't even like him when I enjoyed the books. How the HECK can she find any appeal in being with a man that can hurt her without trying? Restricts her affections? HIS AFFECTIONS? His entire body is pretty much a statue, cold and like a rock. How is there appeal in kissing a statue?

I seriously don't get it.

I very much enjoyed the first three books.

Having just finished Breaking Dawn, I don't feel I can think of it in the same way as the other three. It's, to me at least, quite a departure , and , without getting into any spoilers, I will just say that the descent into sci-fi type of writing was odd. This is only my opinion, but I have to say I was let down by the book. I am on a second read through and maybe I will enjoy it more...

I am still anticipating the movie later this year.

Panlah:Omg...so much reading Lol But I did! And I have to say, I do agree with some of your opinions. Bella is not my favourite char and I am not really a big fan of her either, though I do like her more than dislike her in some aspects. But I agree that she is selfish and I have never liked the way she treated Charlie or the whole choosing Edward over him so quickly. As for Jacob....I love Jacob, but I do think he has his pathetic moments and can be completely whiny. Towards Eclipse, I was pretty much done with him because I got so sick of the "I know you'll choose Edward over me, but I am going to keep trying anyway and whine about the obvious outcome" thing he had going on.

I love the series as much as the next obsessed fan who hasn't become a complete and total idiot over it, but I also agree that it has it's flaws and alot of which you pointed out are very good ones too.

Edited by Branndi

I haven't read B.D. but I know how it ends. I know the plot points, the conflicts.. a lot of stuff, from what I read when I looked it up the night it came out (because people are bound to have read it in a short amount of time). I read reviews. I wanted to know what happened, so I could laugh at my obssessed friends if certain characters died. (Mean, I know. But they tick me off.)

Frankly, what I know disgusts me. I'm glad I didn't buy the book, or any of the books. Thank you so much, school library.

*typed this before Panlah's most current post* Agreed. Though show me a book/series that doesn't have it flaws. Show me ANYTHING that doesn't have a flaw and I'll find some way to give you a million dollars.

Bella is annoying, very annoying. Though part of it is that we're seeing it from her perspective. It does annoy me that all she sees is Edward and how pretty he is...in fact, I think every sane Twilight fan hates her to some extent.

Edited by shikaru

Agreed. Though show me a book/series that doesn't have it flaws. Show me ANYTHING that doesn't have a flaw and I'll find some way to give you a million dollars.

Bella is annoying, very annoying. Though part of it is that we're seeing it from her perspective. It does annoy me that all she sees is Edward and how pretty he is...in fact, I think every sane Twilight fan hates her to some extent.

In return, the lot of them love Edward. I think most girls hate Bella because she "stands in the way" or them "claiming" Edward. I, on the contrary, hate him.

I haven't read B.D. but I know how it ends. I know the plot points, the conflicts.. a lot of stuff, from what I read when I looked it up the night it came out (because people are bound to have read it in a short amount of time). I read reviews. I wanted to know what happened, so I could laugh at my obssessed friends if certain characters died. (Mean, I know. But they tick me off.)

Frankly, what I know disgusts me. I'm glad I didn't buy the book, or any of the books. Thank you so much, school library.

Well if certain people did die....remind me not to make you mad because I don't want to know ahead of time Lol

Don't worry. I'm not going to strike as low a blow to its fans as that. I won't spoil anything.

Agreed. Though show me a book/series that doesn't have it flaws. Show me ANYTHING that doesn't have a flaw and I'll find some way to give you a million dollars.

In return, the lot of them love Edward. I think most girls hate Bella because she "stands in the way" or them "claiming" Edward. I, on the contrary, hate him.

I like Edward as a character because I find him amusing for reasons I couldn't begin to explain.

and when I said "sane fans" I meant, not the fangirling idiot types. Of course raving Edward fangirls are going to hate Bella. Just the same that any raving fangirl hates the character they're fangirling over's love interest.

My friends and I hate Bella because she is annoying, whiny, and does nothing but complain about how apparently horrible her life is, when yet she's practically given everything on a silver platter. She's also horribly selfish. God forbid Edward get something he wants, but if Bella wants something, she'll do every little thing to get it.

Edited by shikaru

That's why I hate her.

I hate Edward, not because of his character, but rather because of his fanbase. It's probably a wrong reason.. but I can't help it.

I really just keep reading the books because:

A. I can ignore her whining for the most part

B. I like the author's writing style.

C. I like the majority of the other characters.

I grew out of it. there's not much I enjoy of it anymore. I honestly don't really enjoy her style. It reads like a fanfic for me, as I mentioned earlier.