TJ09

2023-04-30 - April Dragon Release

Whoa, pretty!  I'm glad to learn that Sonatas emerged from the completed list 11 years later. That gives us hope for other breeds.

I like the gradient on the pygmies too. It matches a few of the other tiny breeds.

2 hours ago, LostinEcho said:

Sorry guys, what happened? Did someone get silver? 

Not yet, but TJs are adults and the descriptions reference the eclipse so it seems like they'll be very limited time availability

6 minutes ago, KageSora said:

Not yet, but TJs are adults and the descriptions reference the eclipse so it seems like they'll be very limited time availability

Thank you, dear 🥰 

Eee, they grew up! Thanks TJ for this release, and also birdzgoboom for the beautiful and graceful Sonatas.

The beginnings of the Occulris lie some time before my first release, sparked by a comment in the Dragon Requests thread of the Pipio Pygmies. A user mentioned that a crow-inspired "counterpart" to the dove-inspired Pipios would be cool. Some of that initial intent is still present in the final result, but while working on the sprites I kind of wasn't happy and began experimenting with the coloration. When I settled on the combination of purple and orange, it changed away from the crow inspiration. At first the name of this breed was Umbra Pygmy, then I changed it to Obscuritas Pygmy when I submitted them in private around five years ago. After the release of the Pipio Pygmies, I gave all sprites an update, added a female adult sprite and changed their name to Occulri, which is a mix of the latin words "occul(tus)" and "o(bs)curi(tas), so the meaning is sort of "hidden darkness".

I also have a bit of additional information about the breed itself to share. As it is with art in general, Occulris must practice their shadowcraft, but their memory and imagination make them much better equipped for art in comparison to the average human. Every Occulri has a preferred way to scare aggressors away, though they also adjust their methods based on the threat they face. To find the most effective methods for different threats, they must closely observe bypassers. Occulris that hide in vicinity of each other often combine their knowledge and talents. When an Occulri is close to being found, its coloration turns very dull from fear. And that is all I will say for now, since one day there will be more information in the encyclopedia.

Last of all, I made some head portraits and a sprite of their tail feathers to show parts of them in a little more detail.

ddbcl6r-41afe3a6-005f-4829-babb-cfcd1978 https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/d1a77056-386c-44e9-88e8-df1d78af87fa/dd96thz-980ca485-9fad-4209-9fe3-68f137753f66.gif?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2QxYTc3MDU2LTM4NmMtNDRlOS04OGU4LWRmMWQ3OGFmODdmYVwvZGQ5NnRoei05ODBjYTQ4NS05ZmFkLTQyMDktOWZlMy02OGYxMzc3NTNmNjYuZ2lmIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.5PcQFd4Cr-nkvUnYUhGduW3Fycqh4jkUQ_4hEehBe9c ddbcl5b-f5807970-addb-44a6-bf77-d1c2da00

I’m going to have fun breeding the Sonatas with my Dorkfaces and Thwuds. LOVE them both but the Sonatas are definitely my favourite of the April release.

Lovely details! Love the additional sprite of their tail feather and head portrait. Thank you all for bringing beautiful dragons into life :D

Edited by CuteDragons

I want a whole coop of Occulri pygmies near my house - they're cool and seem like a great way to keep neighbors out. 

The eclipse design on the silver Sonata threw me for a bit, it may have been just my phone screen but there was a moment when I was confused why the dragon have a pit in their back. It's much more obviously an eclipse design when viewed from the computer. I think I like the blue one most of the three variants.

Beautiful dragons, thank you spriters.

I love the reasoning behind the Sonata's name.  I can hear the Moonlight Sonata now!

Thank you for these lovely sprites! The tail feather looks magical @Mewtie 💜 My eggs just hatched and they are so tiny and yet so detailed :o

....I think I have a new favourite dragon, Sonatas are BEAUTIFUL.

Had no luck in catching any, though, but managed to get a blue and a gold from trading, so just to ttry and get one of the eclipse ones, whenever they drop. Then probably just gonna wait for them to be in the shop before I start working on any real plans for them. If they go in the shop.

The adult sprites are absolutely stunning, I can't wait to be able to get the silver variant! The pygmy looks adorable too. ♥️

Sonatas are beautiful, but, unexpectedly, I actually like the pygmies more - honestly, they're by far my fave pygmy breed. I'm always a fan of colours like that, and also they're amphipteres, which I also tend to really like. Definitely gonna be hoarding those pretties!

1 hour ago, Ripan said:

I want a whole coop of Occulri pygmies near my house - they're cool and seem like a great way to keep neighbors out. 

The eclipse design on the silver Sonata threw me for a bit, it may have been just my phone screen but there was a moment when I was confused why the dragon have a pit in their back. It's much more obviously an eclipse design when viewed from the computer. I think I like the blue one most of the three variants.

Same. It's a little hard for me to look at it and NOT feel like there's a hole on the dragon's back. Probably the shadow unintentionally caused some optic illusion lol

1 hour ago, Mewtie said:

Last of all, I made some head portraits and a sprite of their tail feathers to show parts of them in a little more detail.

ddbcl6r-41afe3a6-005f-4829-babb-cfcd1978 https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/d1a77056-386c-44e9-88e8-df1d78af87fa/dd96thz-980ca485-9fad-4209-9fe3-68f137753f66.gif?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2QxYTc3MDU2LTM4NmMtNDRlOS04OGU4LWRmMWQ3OGFmODdmYVwvZGQ5NnRoei05ODBjYTQ4NS05ZmFkLTQyMDktOWZlMy02OGYxMzc3NTNmNjYuZ2lmIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.5PcQFd4Cr-nkvUnYUhGduW3Fycqh4jkUQ_4hEehBe9c ddbcl5b-f5807970-addb-44a6-bf77-d1c2da00

Thanks for the detail. Although the tiny sprites are pretty detailed for their size, this makes me love them even more!

Both of these new dragon species are... just.... beautiful. 

The adults of both new releases are gorgeous! :wub:

Is anyone else having trouble unlocking egg sprites?

13 minutes ago, missy_ said:

The adults of both new releases are gorgeous! :wub:

Is anyone else having trouble unlocking egg sprites?

I'm pretty sure they haven't been added to the encyclopedia. So, can't unlock anything just yet.

Thank you for the amazing sprites!

I'm trying to calculate the moon phases... Does anyone have info how many days each phase lasts? Eg. New moon for Cirion?

17 minutes ago, natli said:

Thank you for the amazing sprites!

I'm trying to calculate the moon phases... Does anyone have info how many days each phase lasts? Eg. New moon for Cirion?

https://leviathan.thorngale.net/lunar-herald-colour.php

I always use this calendar to help keep track of the moon phases.

Here is another source of info based on the forums: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/170693-dc-moon-watch-and-lunar-herald-theories/

Edited by BringsTheSnow

3 hours ago, Mewtie said:

These sprites are so pretty!

Oh my. The Sonatas are STUNNING!! I don't know if TJ has anything in store for DC's upcoming birthday, but these beauties will behard to compete with! 😄 They're wonderful.

I have sadly been unable to catch any of the Sonatas, and have been unsuccessful in any trade.  I will keep trying, and fighting with my tablet to get some Sonata eggs.

Thankfully I was able to get some of the pygmies.

All of them are pretty, but I may have to purchase from the Market.

6 hours ago, birdzgoboom said:

I am glad it was noticed! Yes, they are inspired by two things: Starry Night, my (and my late grandma’s) favourite fine arts piece, and Moonlight Sonata— my (and my father’s) favourite classical music piece.

I was wondering if this was the case ever since I saw their names. Fitting, too, since Moonlight Sonata has three movements.

They're really pretty, definitely some of my favorite new sprites in a while.