TJ09

2021-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

They are truly beautiful with the shaded colors of their wings. I love the lore too. "The intimacy of life and death in autumn" - beautiful. Thank you, Schenanigans and wheeloftime13 :wub:

These are beautiful, the lore is excellent, but they don't feel like Halloweens to me. I'd have loved them as a regular release but I guess I like something a little more overtly holiday-like with my holidays. I felt the same way about pitfires before the exalted ones were revealed. Maybe they'll grow on me though. That happens sometimes.

The wings are very pretty and I like that we're getting different aspects of the various holidays incorporated in the dragons. It's just... I can't put my finger on it but I'm not a fan of the head shape and the horns... They don't appeal to me for some reason. I guess I would have preferred something a little more pretty and elegant to go with those gorgeous wings, but oh well...  Just my opinion, I'm happy if others enjoy them!

Edited by Mukouno

26 minutes ago, wheeloftime13 said:

Well I combined a form of Iris, like the Greek rainbow messenger goddess with chi meaning the energy of life force. It was to combine rainbows as symbols of messages and linking the earthly and heavenly/spiritual planes with the energy of life as well as the inevitability of death surrounding us.

That is a great explanation. :D

Iris becomes the Latin root "Irid-", which is used to form the word Iridescent. I love etymology, in case it wasn't clear.

Name fits really well with the descriptions and sprites, in my opinion. Great release and I love the expansion of the holiday lore!

Umh, let me just say this.

Halloween and the Day of the Dead are not the same event/holiday and while sure, this dragon may fit DotD theme better, I just DON'T feel Halloween wibe from it at all.

If any of you would show me this one, I would say "oh, those are very pretty" because yes, THEY ARE pretty, but I would never said that those are from Halloween.

and I NEVER said that Halloweens can be only dark or bloody, we already have AMAZING Arcana witches and I was hoping that this time it will be something funny like that too!

And I was simply wrong.

Once more: I DON'T HATE this dragon, it IS very pretty. I just don't feel the Halloween wibe, that's all.

And I'm very glad that all of you love it, it's a good thing for you that I won't be catching those in next year in abandoned, because it gives you w little better chance to catch them, but since it is forum I guessed that I can state my opinion, even if it's not typical "uwu amazing 10/10", but to be honest I don't think I will ever write any, because they're not needed.

Edited by Tokusa

I personally love these sprites.

I had never been a big fan of the halloween dragons in general but now I have a halloween dragon that I actively love.

And yes halloween and day of the dead are not the same holiday but halloween before it was commercialized was about ghosts and how they are coming around this time of year and warding them off. So i say that these dragons as being messengers of the dead fit the halloween theme pretty well. 

I do think having a dragon that fits the concepts of other holidays in other religions is excellent, as it creates a larger area of people in DC to feel welcome into the community.

They're absolutely beautiful with those wings and I love the lore, but they look like a regular dragon and not a Halloween one in my opinion... I even like the Kohrakis more lmao

The male pose is VERY cool, though!

Ohhh!!! These adults look nice!

A very non-traditional Halloween dragon! ME LIKEY!

They look good next to Mistras.

On a side note,

Anyone want some free dergs?

I very much like these. I don't know much about DotD, so I can't share any relative thoughts on that -- but these instantly bring me back to frosty November mornings, and orange-blue sunsets. Very much autumn, and the ethereal nature of them is also reminiscent of Samhain. Thanks for your hard work, spriters. ♥

I'll agree with others that I get less of a Halloween vibe and more of a Day of the Dead vibe from these [the colors are making me think of sugar skulls]

That aside, these are a beautiful breed of dragon. There's an odd muscular elegance surrounding them, and the colors of the wings really make the grayish-blue tones of the body pop. I suppose if I had to make one complaint, the golden yellow horns seem a bit of a clash to the rest of the dragon (would have preferred a softer yellow but that's just my preference) but they do make a nice focal point.

All in all, I need a few more of these now...

love 'em, they're very creepy and morbid looking. i wish they were a regular release in the sense that i want to be allowed to breed them year round, but i don't feel they're inappropriate for halloween at all. i was worried from the hatchlings that the horns on the adult were gonna become a little, yknow. candy corn.... but they didn't, which i'm glad about. does this count as an amphiptere? 

1 hour ago, Tokusa said:

Once more: I DON'T HATE this dragon, it IS very pretty. I just don't feel the Halloween wibe, that's all.

And I'm very glad that all of you love it, it's a good thing for you that I won't be catching those in next year in abandoned, because it gives you w little better chance to catch them, but since it is forum I guessed that I can state my opinion, even if it's not typical "uwu amazing 10/10", but to be honest I don't think I will ever write any, because they're not needed.

You are, indeed, entitled to your opinion and to express it here. It is every bit as valid as that of anyone else!

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I very much like these. I don't know much about DotD, so I can't share any relative thoughts on that -- but these instantly bring me back to frosty November mornings, and orange-blue sunsets. Very much autumn, and the ethereal nature of them is also reminiscent of Samhain. Thanks for your hard work, spriters. ♥

Yes, the dragons are reminiscent of Samhain. Halloween wouldn't exist if it wasn't for this Celtic holiday.

Very pretty adults, I love iridescent stuff and their colours look so pleasing to the eye. I'm sure people must have said so already but I think they'll look gorgeous with gold Shimmers, and gold Lunar Heralds. While I wouldn't think of Halloween at first glance, the lore behind them is very interesting.

I love the adult sprites, they look so beautiful! I’ve seen others mention that they don’t like them because these dragons don’t appear to fit the theme of Halloween, but I love their cute and sort of eerie appearance and all the lore that goes with them, and I’m very excited to collect some more next Halloween. They’ve become one of my favorite holiday breeds. Thank you to everyone involved with this wonderful new release!

Edited by Rhikasa

The females are going to look A M A Z I N G paired with Tutela Cantos, Im already planning out checkers xD thats the first one on my list

50 minutes ago, bloodyneptune said:

The females are going to look A M A Z I N G paired with Tutela Cantos, Im already planning out checkers xD thats the first one on my list

That was my first thought when I saw them. :)

I still think they look like the fairy princess side of Halloween.

They are lovely dragons, but I’m disappointed that they don’t scream Halloween. We get one day a year for Halloween dragons to be released, and I just wish they were more spooky.
These would have been great for a regular release. Very pretty.

Finally, a non-evil Halloween dragon! I've been waiting for a breed like this. I love their looks and their lore.

I love these beautiful dragons. They are less modern-Halloween and more traditional-Samhain. They hearken back to the idea that this is a liminal time of year when the boundary between the human realm and supernatural is at its thinnest.

Also, after so many darker-colored Halloween dragons I like getting one with a lighter pallet, similar to the Shadow Walkers. They remind me of fog or mist.

I freaking LOVE how unique this dragon is in comparison to other Halloween dragons! It's less "Halloween" and more like Autumn fog, I love it!

Oh I love the descriptions of the adults! Not too thrilled with the male adult pose (which is confusing for me because the female s2 hatchie was the one I liked least, but now the adult female is so much prettier and I like the pose much better) but I think it's just a personal preference that I often favor the more full-body 'posing' than a dynamic 'mid-flight/whatever' that doesn't show off the whole body as much.  But those wings, omg. I'm so so so excited to see so much of the rainbow-y coloring on the wings, I was a little concerned it might just be on the tips or something but it's sooo pretty like this!

While I see that some people don't think this dragon is really 'Halloweeny', I totally disagree. To me, instead of relying on more modern stereotypes of Halloween (the spooky images, evil/monsterous/etc) it's more representing what 'Halloween', or All Hallows Eve or Samhain, used to be and mean so long ago. It feels like a more grounded breed, and I don't know if that makes sense, but I like that it's not all scary-spooky and instead is connected to the dead without leaning on that spooky element too hard.