TJ09

2021-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

My one complaint about the harvest event is how 'unfriendly' it was to mobile devices. Placing decorations was hard without a grid to indicate where it would go. As such, I opted not to decorate my farm as much as I otherwise might have BUT I'm still happy with how it turned out.

All in all, I think it was a cute event and a nice change from the usual 'text based adventures' we seemed to get for Halloween.

Event aside - I'm really curious to see how these guys will look grown up. I'm loving the color pallet and hoping they keep the soft gray tones.

I'm very interested in seeing how these dragons will turn out!  Will they keep the iridescence they've seemed to have, so far? Will that yellow part turn out more like a mane or a crown of horns?  I love the quicksilver look of the eggs!  Gorgeous spriting!

I had a very nice Halloween event -- despite almost missing it entirely!  I had a quick peek on the first day, then a VERY busy week, then I remembered to get back to it late at night on the 30th, and had basically 24 hours to get into it.  Despite that, I had fun!  Managed to collect 8 new Halloween eggs... breed maybe half my Halloween dragons, picking the nicest lineages... collect all this year's Trick or Treats... grab about 2 dozen more of the treats I was missing from other years... and at least dabble about a little bit in the garden! 

The garden was the one part that was a bit frustrating, but obviously I only played it on 2 days.  I ended up with a pumpkin and 4 bits of fence, lol!!  I agree that shorter wait times would have helped; it felt like I spent all day watching acorn squash grow.  But I'm looking forward to touring the "Show Off Your Garden" thread and seeing what else was possible!  (IF it became possible to play it again next Halloween, obviously I would be overjoyed -- but if not, c'est la vie!)

And now, I can look forward to scooping up leftover Halloween eggs when my new catches hatch... and making breeding plans once we see these new dragons in their full glory.  Happy Halloweeen, everybody!  And a big THANK YOU!

Edited by Kelkelen

I am loving these hatchlings they look amazing I carnt wait to see the adults when they grow up, holiday releases are always stunning and amazing :)

This was my first Halloween event and I had a great time! I caught every type of dragon I wanted/needed, I collected a LOT of treats (2021/2020/2019 and part of 2018) and I had fun with the farm game. I'm glad it's not continuing on, though: it will keep its charm if it's only a special-event thing. Also, this week was a bit crazy, so I'm looking forward to winding down into normal, non-holiday Dragon Cave.

I hope everyone had a great and Happy 🎃 Halloween 👻! And that your scroll 📜 is happily finishing to grow out your remaining healthy Halloween 🥚 🐣s.

Thanks to TJ and the numerous spriters who brought us a splendid Halloween event. It was a smooth and easy going time with plenty of entertainment while catching new and old eggs plus laying out the autumnal harvest. Happy Halloween to all and may your spirits settle quietly for another year.

Edited by PrairieStead

so my garden ended up like this :d I thought I will have the time to go back to it and harvest the plants and put some other decorations but oh well..

grabbed 7 of new dragons can't wait for them to hatch
also managed to complete trick&treat all the way back to 2013! :d

thanks everyone - a lot!! :) ❤️

image.png

Edited by Joya

Quite nice actually!🎃👍

Yours is very nicely designed.  I have about as much landscape design ability as a brick, so here's mine for all of DC to laugh at, haha!😁

1472049705_Screenshot2021-11-019_09_42AM.png.9c2a8d475e0bc661b1fcd7ec5967aa28.png

All I've to say is, I enjoyed my first Halloween here a lot. Thanks TJ and DC team! 😁👍

1 hour ago, jerzeeshadow said:

Quite nice actually!🎃👍

Yours is very nicely designed.  I have about as much landscape design ability as a brick, so here's mine for all of DC to laugh at, haha!😁

1472049705_Screenshot2021-11-019_09_42AM.png.9c2a8d475e0bc661b1fcd7ec5967aa28.png

why thank you! I like the idea of yours too! :))

Whee my first Halloween event in a few years.

Completed my Arcana, almost completed Kohraki (need one egg next year) and got two Pitfires.

Caught up on all the ToT items as well.

And even though I started late into the gardening event, I got everything I wanted. Very productive event.

Can't wait to see the adult Halloween dragons, I wonder if their name starts with "Iridescent" given where they are sorted...

I don't think people expressing their frustration at the free mini games are trying to be disrespectful, and I don't think they feel entitled. I think they believe if they give honest feedback, instead of empty thanks, the games will be improved in the future and be more enjoyable for everyone. People are here because they LOVE this place. No one would spend time here if they didn't. The farm was a massive hit, everyone loved it and wanted  it to be a permanent feature of the website, to allow for the growing of potions, etc. The general consensus was to please just leave it up a little longer so people could FINISH. I'm sure everyone involved with the creation of the games wants them to be loved, so I would hope that when someone has a genuine concern about something that made it less fun, the designers would write it down so next time the next game would avoid those issues. I LOVED the farm, I hope it comes back every year. I adore all the Christmas games, I'm praying for another snow wars, LOL another gingerbread house, another tree, another wreath. Those games are terrific. Remember Knotts berry farm started out as a way to keep people waiting in line at the Chicken dinner restaurant busy, not as a theme park, haha Those games make this place more special. I don't believe anyone giving an honest opinion about something that drove them crazy is trying to offend anyone that worked hard. It's impossible to know if something works well without play testing, which is why all game designers HAVE play testing.  Round one of the farm could have been better. I can't wait to see round two, and I hope all the concerns will have been addressed, not simply ignored and brought back exactly the same in the future. I

think everyone involved deserves a round of applause and a huge thank you! 

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

9 minutes ago, caya said:

Can't wait to see the adult Halloween dragons, I wonder if their name starts with "Iridescent" given where they are sorted...

That is the best guess I have heard yet! Fits the design and the description well.

The other one I thought was a likely choice was Invisible something. 

A little sad I missed out on getting an egg this time around, I was very busy yesterday and didn't have time to log in : (

But congratulations to everyone who got what they want and finished their farms! Mine is a bit... Sad. I didn't have enough time to really keep things going on it as much as I loved the minigame. I wish it were a permanent thing, a good way to pass time on the site and maintain something cute and individual to each scroll.

Here's mine for all to see:

Screenshot 2021-11-01 162347.png

12 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

My one complaint about the harvest event is how 'unfriendly' it was to mobile devices. Placing decorations was hard without a grid to indicate where it would go. As such, I opted not to decorate my farm as much as I otherwise might have BUT I'm still happy with how it turned out.

All in all, I think it was a cute event and a nice change from the usual 'text based adventures' we seemed to get for Halloween.

Event aside - I'm really curious to see how these guys will look grown up. I'm loving the color pallet and hoping they keep the soft gray tones.

Oh my god, I thought I just really sucked at trying to place things from my tablet! I feel better now

I really liked the Haunted Harvest minigame. Unfortunately, I misjudged how much money I'd need to decorate and spent too long saving up, putting off decorating for too long, and I ran out of time to do what I wanted. I intended to have samples of all the plants we could grow but most of them didn't mature before time ran out. I'm especially disappointed I didn't get a mature carnivorous plant. But I'm really glad I did get an eyestalk and plenty of glowshrooms to keep, because those were my favorites. I had to scramble on Halloween to finish decorating my farm (a day on which I had lots of real-life stuff planned and really didn't have time to check my phone constantly to see if it was time to water yet). It kind of makes me sad to think of all the effort that goes into coding and creating artwork for such ephemeral events. It was fun while it lasted though.

I'm intrigued by the Halloween dragons this year. They don't really look that spooky yet but they do look cool; I'm sure I'll love them! I also just noticed the codes for TJ's hatchlings, alluding to my two favorite crops from the farm game. Now I really can't wait to see them grow up!

Anyway, thanks for another super neat spooky celebration!

The worst thing about new releases (imo) is the waiting! We get to see TJ's hatchies so quickly and then wait days to see the adult. *pokes TJ's adorable hatchies* Groooooow!

Fun event this year (although I do agree with the comments that it was difficult to fit everything in during the time given)! Here's what my farm ended up looking like:

farm.png.5b3f4450d526b73b9cf8fa5d5883f2ab.png

I used the first three rows for moneymaking and then the last three rows were kind of a wild woods area. Definitely some changes that I would make if I had more time but I'm content with how it turned out.

Can't wait to see the adults for the new release!

The event was a lot of fun! Too bad the event gave me errors the first few days so I wasn't able to decorate my farm but oh well...

Really curious to see what the adults are going to look like! Hopefully spooky, I rather not have another Kohraki situation ^^'

2 hours ago, JuulXhorse said:

The event was a lot of fun! Too bad the event gave me errors the first few days so I wasn't able to decorate my farm but oh well...

Really curious to see what the adults are going to look like! Hopefully spooky, I rather not have another Kohraki situation ^^'

You don't think Kohrakis are spooky-looking? They look pretty scary to me, especially combined with their description. Personally, for me, Pumpkins are the only Halloween breed that I don't see as spooky/scary/etc, but I guess people see different things as spooky.  My favorite Halloween breed in terms of 'spooky but not stereotypically-Halloween-looking' is Shadow Walkers, I *love* them and the lore that goes with them. 

31 hours until we see TJ's adults.  .... *sneaks off to find a Chrono Xeno to do some time warping*

*crawls out of the woodwork*

They're really looking good this year, the dragons and the treats!

This may date me at this point, but is there still a chat somewhere? I was trying to revive the tradition of dumping myself in the irc while waiting for midnight... but I don't even know if that's a thing anymore. o_O

Edited by TieDyeOblivion

I'm already thinking of breeding this guys with the Lunar Heralds, just for the sheer iridescence on the wings.

2 hours ago, TieDyeOblivion said:

*crawls out of the woodwork*

They're really looking good this year, the dragons and the treats!

This may date me at this point, but is there still a chat somewhere? I was trying to revive the tradition of dumping myself in the irc while waiting for midnight... but I don't even know if that's a thing anymore. o_O

Yes! On Discord :)