TJ09

2021-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

I don't think anyone is saying anything about dragons needing to fit Halloween stereotypes though... Personally for me I feel this dragon gives more of a "monthly release" vibe than it does a Holiday one.

Shrugs.

Everyone is valid to their opinions, however. I can maybe see myself grabbing more when the time comes but for now I'm not really digging them.

Edited by Oltura

These are very beautiful dragons and their wings are an unique addition to DC so far. Yet they don't look at all as an Halloween breed. this new dragon is neither spooky nor melancholic nor autumn-like to me. I wished for a sprite between this and the super excessive and colorful sprites like Arcanas or Omen. The lore is fitting at least.

The male pose is my favorite by miles. The female falls into that strange stiff I'm-posed-like-this-because-I-have-to-be pose for me. Not saying she isn't still gorgeous.

I think the only thing that feels strange to me is the females head. Something about her just feels... off, and I can't place why unfortunately. Possibly her head looks overly large compared to her body?

Black Marrows still hold my favorite Halloween spot, but I think these make a solid contender for third or fourth. I'm thankful they didnt go the Shadow Walker route personally.

20 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

Depends what you mean.

The data to edit the farm is removed [only TJ knows if he archives it somewhere inaccessible for later reuse *seems likely given the return of past events* or if its outright deleted]

However, if you harvested at least one item - you can still view your farm through the badge on your scroll [or via the view link of: https://dragcave.net/halloween21/*scroll name here*

That aside, I can't wait to see the adults. I'm hoping they keep the gray bodies and faintly lit wings [already thinking they may look great with Stratos, Mistras, or Glysteres if they do]

Ah. Just was curious was all.

I agree with them not feeling like a Halloween, or even the historical leadups to it, despite the description--shadow walkers have a more spectral feel, but even the description of the Iridichis doesn't justify the fact that these have a single week of the year to continue lines with them on. Like, that latter aspect alone really means that even perfectly nice sprites that don't feel right for the time make it feel like a waste of a dragon, because they are so extremely limited in how they can be bred and collected, and that negatively impacts how a breed that doesn't feel right is perceived which amplifies any other problem someone can have with the sprite.

And before anyone brings up the Amarignis, they have a stronger valentine's feel than these have any kind of halloween vibe, and they're still right on the edge of being in the same boat.

I love this dragon as a Halloween Dragon. I believe this is what dragons looked like to me as a child.

Thank you all for a very nice holiday!

4 hours ago, Gealach said:

Finally, a non-evil Halloween dragon! I've been waiting for a breed like this. I love their looks and their lore.

Very much this! There's so much lore and history behind Halloween that's not just goblins and ghouls, its nice to see a dragon pulling from that. And maybe some people who didn't know about all that might be inspired to start looking into more of that, because the history really is fascinating 

The adults are amazing! I love them, the art is gorgeous and the lore is very cool. Thank you so much ^^

cannot wait to start some lineages with them (Maybe Coppers? Black Truffles? Lunar Heralds? Mistras? Hmm…)

12 hours ago, wheeloftime13 said:

Well I combined a form of Iris, like the Greek rainbow messenger goddess with chi meaning the energy of life force. It was to combine rainbows as symbols of messages and linking the earthly and heavenly/spiritual planes with the energy of life as well as the inevitability of death surrounding us.

ohhh! i love! now i want to rethink some of the names i've given mine...

Love the description and theming. I just wish the dragon looked more ethereal to go with the "gates between the living and the dead/spirits". I don't notice the white glowing eyes even knowing they're there, and the rainbow doesn't tell me anything about the dragon. And a dragon that relies entirely on lore for an identity isn't as complete as it should be.

Female's pose is also static, wish she was swooping towards the viewer as a counter point to the male.

Thanks for the fun Halloween!

Looking through trades, I'm thinking a lot of players weren't ready for a single day Halloween release drop and were caught off guard after getting used to the regular new release drops. 

32 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Looking through trades, I'm thinking a lot of players weren't ready for a single day Halloween release drop and were caught off guard after getting used to the regular new release drops. 

I guess maybe newbies who don't check the forum might have that issue? Halloween drops have always been a single day, but I guess if one has never been around for DC-Halloween before it may come as a surprise. That said, there are *always* tons of trades asking for the new holiday after the drop is over, whether it's Halloween or the others. In general there are always plenty of people who forget, aren't able to catch any during the drop, whatever.

Edited by HeatherMarie

Can't say this year dragon release represents the commercial kind of Halloween but it's not bad, I think! 

In my culture, instead of Halloween, we have all Saints Day and all Souls Day (Oct 1st and Oct 2nd), which are not, in fact, "celebrated" and come up as quite dull so Halloween is always something I'm looking forward to on DC. It's exciting and relaxing at the same time!

As many already mentioned - this year sprites and descriptions are vibrant, subtle, eerie if anything! ToT and the Garden event were very much fun! Thank you for making it all happen and special thanks for everyone's enthusiasm <3.

thanks Spriters for that nice dragon! And the Event, had been great.

For me too, the New are no typical Halloween Type, but they are pretty, so 🙂

7 hours ago, High Lord November said:

Love the description and theming. I just wish the dragon looked more ethereal to go with the "gates between the living and the dead/spirits". I don't notice the white glowing eyes even knowing they're there, and the rainbow doesn't tell me anything about the dragon. And a dragon that relies entirely on lore for an identity isn't as complete as it should be.

Female's pose is also static, wish she was swooping towards the viewer as a counter point to the male.

Thanks for the fun Halloween!

Good point about the eyes actually. I read the description and had to go back and look at the sprites because nothing had struck me as strange about their eyes, so if they were meant to look disconcerting that didn't really come across. But I still like them haha.

2 hours ago, MissK. said:

Good point about the eyes actually. I read the description and had to go back and look at the sprites because nothing had struck me as strange about their eyes, so if they were meant to look disconcerting that didn't really come across. But I still like them haha.

I like them too. They read regular release to me, and although they aren't everything I hoped for they're still beautiful, and a lot of great spritework and time went in to them :) 

Edited by High Lord November

I agree with others saying these aren't really a Halloween type. They might fit Day of the dead, but in my personal opinion, these feel more like a normal release. They are pretty! But not as Halloweenish as I was hoping for. ((Until I saw the adults I was still thinking they would be along the lines of the Invisible man. And I'll be honest here, if the artists want to go down the classic monster road, I'd love to see a Frankenstein Monster or a Mummy type dragon for Halloween. We've already got Dracula in the from of the vamp dragons. So why not do the others? ^^ ))

WB

Edited by Wolfs_Bane

I was able to grab one and then trade for others, so yay.

I think these are in my top 5 favorite Halloween. They're creepy, cool, and I love the oil-sheen coloring.

9 hours ago, Wolfs_Bane said:

I agree with others saying these aren't really a Halloween type. They might fit Day of the dead, but in my personal opinion, these feel more like a normal release. They are pretty! But not as Halloweenish as I was hoping for. ((Until I saw the adults I was still thinking they would be along the lines of the Invisible man. And I'll be honest here, if the artists want to go down the classic monster road, I'd love to see a Frankenstein Monster or a Mummy type dragon for Halloween. We've already got Dracula in the from of the vamp dragons. So why not do the others? ^^ ))

WB

Same. Pretty, very pretty but they aren't Halloween. I would LOVE a mummy dragon! Really like the classic monsters idea, too. They'll pair well with the Lunar Heralds.

Very nice new release! They are very striking, especially against the dark background of the announcement. I think they would look great with Lunar Heralds but I'm also thinking of them with Shadow Walkers after reading their descriptions. I don't tend to like Holiday x Holiday pairings but I may make an exception for these guys.

these dragons are beautiful and it's almost sad that they're a holiday. I would love to build a collection of them all year round. This might be the first holiday breed I actually breed come next year.

Since we are well into November now I will close this thread for another year. Thank you TJ for the great event, and thank you spriters for all your hard work on these new Halloween dragons!