TJ09

2021-08-22 - August Dragon Release

11 minutes ago, Feathers said:

so I can try to snag some Coastals

Desert, not coastal.

1 hour ago, Elizabeth Moonstone said:

I’m confused too! I still lean towards two variants with dimorphism, one of them with only one hatchie sprite. There have been past release with dimorphism only in adults.

That's technically possible, would be weird if one variant had different hatchlings and the other not though. Don't think we've seen that before.

Maybe we'll have a better idea of what's going on when the hatchlings gender...

3 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

Desert, not coastal.

Whoops, right, thanks!

Well, I've had two more egg slots open up. Was going to grab two more volcanoes because of TJ's extra eggs, but the different descriptions on the others changed my mind. I now have five of the striped ones: two that were both influenced and incubated, one influenced only, one incubated only, and one untouched. Three from desert, two from alpine. 

Oh, and a mere two volcano ones that I influenced and incubated because I was originally intending to grab two more that I could leave untouched. Really hoping that this is not an action-controlled variance... but the panic that ensues when incubating changes the dragon makes me think it might be, since that's more fun for those "in the know" who get to watch the chaos. Some people just wanna watch the world burn. :D

2 hours ago, Elizabeth Moonstone said:

It could also be Biome based. I’m glad I picked one from Alpine and one from Desert just in case.

Is it not just the usual male/female sprites? The difference in description being a difference in gender behaviors?

19 minutes ago, bloodyneptune said:

Is it not just the usual male/female sprites? The difference in description being a difference in gender behaviors?

Well, it COULD be that. But in recent years we've seen more instances of bsa-controlled and/or user-action based variants. My money's on one being "feral" because it wasn't incubated.

Edited to add: If it IS gender differences, then this would be the first dragon to reveal its gender at hatching instead of stage 2.

Edited by Fyrebird

1 minute ago, Ashlynnii said:

Sweet christ on a unicycle, the eggs in the Alpine/Desert just evaporate.

That's what happens in arid climates. ;)

So excited to see these guys as adults!! I got 2 from the desert, 2 from the alpine, and 3 from the volcano. 

Oh, dear gods, please tell me the difference is just based on biome, and not another BSA thing!

1 minute ago, JudithC said:

Oh, dear gods, please tell me the difference is just based on biome, and not another BSA thing!

That's my hope as well. Please, please!

14 minutes ago, Dragon Mage said:

I humbly submit 'pyroclastic' for the volcano breed.

And I like "Pyromaniac" as a possible name. XD

21 minutes ago, Dragon Mage said:

I humbly submit 'pyroclastic' for the volcano breed.

I like it, just because I adore that word.

But with seven of them, perhaps 'pyrochrome'?

For whimsy, I like @Jazeki's 'pyrex' suggestion.

10 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

I like it, just because I adore that word.

But with seven of them, perhaps 'pyrochrome'?

For whimsy, I like @Jazeki's 'pyrex' suggestion.

Seven variants???  Just freakin' shoot me!  Anyway, wouldn't a rainbow theme work better during Pride Month?  Just a thought.  I hope I don't regret it later.

**** I thought for sure the release would be next Sunday, especially with Hurricane/Tropical Storm Henri hitting the New England coast. It's veered away from my area but I think RI is still expected to get hit hard. I'm hoping this will be a release of ultra common easy to get dragons, for those who are dealing with hurricane damage and power outages. Part of my town (not my part) had to evacuate to shelters last night. I know TJ has adjusted things for other disaster situations before, so I'm really surprised this didn't get pushed back a week.

I just had a few eggs I was waiting to hatch before I tried my first Earthquake for a Cantor, so fortunately I only have two eggs to hatch and "only" had to toss the Cantor. :dry:

Oh well, I'm just relieved all my hurricane prep was for nothing.

1 hour ago, bloodyneptune said:

1 hour ago, Fyrebird said:

Well, it COULD be that. But in recent years we've seen more instances of bsa-controlled and/or user-action based variants. My money's on one being "feral" because it wasn't incubated.

Edited to add: If it IS gender differences, then this would be the first dragon to reveal its gender at hatching instead of stage 2.

This is very interesting, is this the first time we've had s1 hatchies with different descriptions? That's not usual for variants *or* male/female differences. It's also not usual for simple male/female to have different s1 sprites, usually that's not visible until s2/gendered. Curious that the one TJ has *less* of is the only one showing visible differences so far!

For the mottled one I'm kind of hoping for a simple 'true alt' like Black/Vine/Undines, a breed-only that is random and not based on any actions or anything. I feel like at this point we have so many variants/alts that are very specific in how to be bred or what actions to do on them, it would be nice to have another 'regular' breed-only alt.

( @GhostMouse Yikes, stay safe!)

Edited by HeatherMarie

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

This is very interesting, is this the first time we've had s1 hatchies with different descriptions? That's not usual for variants *or* male/female differences.

Yes, refer to the sapphires, where they were still said to have a blue-green color even when pink or yellow. 

5 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

a simple 'true alt' like Black/Vine/Undines, a breed-only that is random and not based on any actions or anything

This is the second time I've seen spinels left off this list. Yes, you can influence it by breeding with a specific affinity dragon, but it's strictly random in purebreds. Maybe it's just my bias for purebred lineages that puts spinels on this list.

9 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

**** I thought for sure the release would be next Sunday, especially with Hurricane/Tropical Storm Henri hitting the New England coast. It's veered away from my area but I think RI is still expected to get hit hard. I'm hoping this will be a release of ultra common easy to get dragons, for those who are dealing with hurricane damage and power outages. Part of my town (not my part) had to evacuate to shelters last night. I know TJ has adjusted things for other disaster situations before, so I'm really surprised this didn't get pushed back a week.

I just had a few eggs I was waiting to hatch before I tried my first Earthquake for a Cantor, so fortunately I only have two eggs to hatch and "only" had to toss the Cantor. :dry:

Oh well, I'm just relieved all my hurricane prep was for nothing.

GhostMouse, I think TJ picks and chooses based on how many users the disaster potentially affects. If I recall correctly, the last one he did that for was the Cavern Lurkers. He can't possibly adjust for every natural disaster. Speaking as a Floridian, I've got some dragons named things like Birthday Hurricane and Evacuation Zone because they were released while a storm was passing through. Stay safe, though!

5 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

Yes, refer to the sapphires, where they were still said to have a blue-green color even when pink or yellow. 

This is the second time I've seen spinels left off this list. Yes, you can influence it by breeding with a specific affinity dragon, but it's strictly random in purebreds. Maybe it's just my bias for purebred lineages that puts spinels on this list.

I actually didn't know Spinel color was random when purebreeding, that's interesting. But that still makes it fall under the 'have to breed in a specific way to get a variant', having to breed with an Earth-aligned dragon. Just because Spinels *are* Earth-aligned doesn't mean they are the same mechanic as Blacks/etc.

The s1 for the Desert/Alpine breed is so small, it looks like a pygmy compared to the other hatchie. I mean I know it's not, but it's an interesting size difference. Curious to see if it keeps a smaller size when grown.

2 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

GhostMouse, I think TJ picks and chooses based on how many users the disaster potentially affects. If I recall correctly, the last one he did that for was the Cavern Lurkers. He can't possibly adjust for every natural disaster. Speaking as a Floridian, I've got some dragons named things like Birthday Hurricane and Evacuation Zone because they were released while a storm was passing through. Stay safe, though!

That's fair. To me hurricanes are such an abnormal occurrence, I thought it wouldn't be hard to schedule around them! I know they happen more often in Florida, but I didn't realize they were *that* common.

I think I'm mostly frustrated that this didn't happen on the last Sunday of the month like I expected! :lol: 

But thank you (and @HeatherMarie). *Knock on wood,* but I think the worst of it has passed my area. I'm in CT (Derry, ME is just a Stephen King reference), but hopefully those in the rest of New England where the storm currently is are safe and well supplied.

Interesting! (I won't say stressing. I won't!) The hatchies look really cute.

I'm guessing/hoping the alpine/desert is biome-based. Two stripes on the egg (red and blue), two biomes (hot and cold), two hatchling descriptions (acts warmly, acts coldly) - there's definitely a trend there. 

The other one I have no idea but something simple would be nice lol. Three variants + one hatchling seems most likely 

Has anyone earthquaked their eggs yet? 

I cannot believe that I checked the Cave every night this week just in case, but failed to check here last night!!!  I feel kind of stupid, but oh well.