TJ09

2021-08-22 - August Dragon Release

18 hours ago, Dragon Mage said:

because the majority of this thread is rife with unchecked ingratitude and self-absorbed, impatient demands

... Okay, help me here. Is this heated phrasing really necessary? Maybe it is just my perception but even among, well, pages of salt I suppose, I had thought this thread was remaining pretty civil about the subject at hand. I feel that generalizing a thread, one that just happens to have discourse, into "unchecked ingratitude" and "self-absorbency" is unfair to the otherwise valid arguments that have a right to be spoken - even if they're against a seemingly "correct" viewpoint, that doesn't discount their value. Maybe quote some places you feel are "self-absorbed" and "ingratuitous" to help me understand your view?

I happen to like the mechanic. Others do not. I do not think less of them for their preferences, and I for sure don't see them as ungrateful for feeling uncomfortable with a particular mechanic.

Edit: Eh, nevermind.

Edited by Lushwave

Just now, steeve said:

I have a new dragon idea for you............. mints, 2!

in all seriousness though, how dope would it be to have a differently colored alt with the same cute little sprite?

We need Eastern mints!

Just now, DragonLady86 said:

We need Eastern mints!

I would unironically be all over Mint style Easterns oh my gosh

Just now, steeve said:

I have a new dragon idea for you............. mints, 2!

in all seriousness though, how dope would it be to have a differently colored alt with the same cute little sprite?

Would mints 2.0 be...an improvemint? 👀

11 minutes ago, MissK. said:

Agreed completely, especially since it's only EQ that works, you can't just force hatch one egg and be done with it. 

Truly a shame, some of the ones with the more annoying mechanics to obtain are beautiful sprites.

12 minutes ago, Falorni said:

artists do not owe us as players anything and there is nothing wrong with them creating content that caters to their playstyle personally.

This is true, they don't owe us anything--but that goes two ways.  Players don't owe them gratitude and adoration, either.  If they can't handle that, then releasing content for a game is not something they should be doing.  Players are entitled to voice their concerns and issues with content added to a game.

(In general I agree that people can be rude--especially when we're extremely frustrated.  But a game, even a free game, is not magically above criticism and a number of the complaints I've seen have not been attacks on the art or the artist but have been frustration at an unpopular game mechanic getting spotlight without anything being done to resolve why it's an unpopular game mechanic in the first place)

4 minutes ago, MissK. said:

Would mints 2.0 be...an improvemint? 👀

I am waiting with amintcipation for mints 2: fresher and mintier electric boogaloo. 

... no, yours was funnier. Mine sounds like emancipation lol. 

You know, there was someone who suggested Balloons have a Float BSA to protect eggs from EQ. Back then, EQ wasnt such a necessity, now maybe its time to revive this idea? 

I dont use EQ cuz I dont like the fact that dead eggs take up slots for 24hrs, and its whole clutch. At least relieving one issue may assist with backlash. 

I took a risk, did EQ. Got more Volc hatchies out than the EQ dependant variants XD But at least I got a single Alpine one. 3/8 Hatches, 2 deaths others unaffected. Not the worlds worst I suppose. 

5 minutes ago, steeve said:

I am waiting with amintcipation for mints 2: fresher and mintier electric boogaloo. 

... no, yours was funnier. Mine sounds like emancipation lol. 

Aww, but I think your commitmint to the joke is admirable. ;)

4 minutes ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

You know, there was someone who suggested Balloons have a Float BSA to protect eggs from EQ. Back then, EQ wasnt such a necessity, now maybe its time to revive this idea? [snip]

It's still active actually, pretty sure it was revived because of the cantos a while back.

18 minutes ago, Falorni said:

There is a difference between expressing dislike for a mechanic (which, in fairness, several people have done perfectly civilly in this thread!) and being outright mean.  this reply applies to @KageSora's message as well - I am not trying to imply players aren't allowed to dislike or be critical of something.  However, people both in favor and against this mechanic SHOULD owe both each other and the artists basic respect and compassion, which some individuals on both sides seem to lack atm.

Something I've noticed for many years, and one of several reason why I left the forums for a long time, is that a surprising number of people seem to consider anything that isn't praise to be considered mean or rude or attacking the artists.

Simply saying "Oh, it's not to my tastes" will get somebody going off about how it's disrespectful to the artist when nothing about that is rude or insulting to the artist.  (Most often I've see this from random users white knighting for the artists.)

In this case, several people appear to be laboring under the assumption that being critical of the mechanic and frustrated at it is the same as being rude to the artist.  There's also a strange, persistent idea of "be grateful to TJ and the artists no matter WHAT they do" which has been a reply I've seen in the past used to shut down criticism of any sort, as if the game and those responsible for it are above criticism.

I'm not saying this is what you are doing, just to clarify--just that this is a long-standing undertone I've noted in the forums both back when I was an avid user and when I went to strictly lurking on the occasional news thread.

Anyway, to be more on-topic, I'm hoping that the other dragons have a more reasonable obtainment method for their alts, I'm curious to find out how to get them!  Maybe they'll be another time-based mechanic as some have said.  I wonder if they'll simply be random, maybe?

Edited by KageSora
can't type to save my life

So we now have two Earthquake varients and we still have the old un-updated "You cannot attempt to kill this hatchling because you have used this action 5 or more times in the past several weeks." penalty and the two weeks of dead eggshells on the scroll penalty.

1 hour ago, MissK. said:

Agreed completely, especially since it's only EQ that works, you can't just force hatch one egg and be done with it. 

As far as I know you can try to "kill" a specific egg (that is cracked, s5 and almost hatching anyways probably is best) to force a single hatchling out, but it's connected to a high risk of actually killing it

44 minutes ago, KageSora said:

This is true, they don't owe us anything--but that goes two ways.  Players don't owe them gratitude and adoration, either.  If they can't handle that, then releasing content for a game is not something they should be doing.  Players are entitled to voice their concerns and issues with content added to a game.

(In general I agree that people can be rude--especially when we're extremely frustrated.  But a game, even a free game, is not magically above criticism and a number of the complaints I've seen have not been attacks on the art or the artist but have been frustration at an unpopular game mechanic getting spotlight without anything being done to resolve why it's an unpopular game mechanic in the first place)

2 minutes ago, _Charky said:

I have zero faith that anything I say or do will have an impact on how the site is run.

Agreed. 

Just now, TheDoggy said:

As far as I know you can try to "kill" a specific egg (that is cracked, s5 and almost hatching anyways probably is best) to force a single hatchling out, but it's connected to a high risk of actually killing it

Oh I know, I meant that according to people's experiences so far, that doesn't result in the new variant. Only EQ does.

7 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

So we now have two Earthquake varients and we still have the old un-updated "You cannot attempt to kill this hatchling because you have used this action 5 or more times in the past several weeks." penalty and the two weeks of dead eggshells on the scroll penalty.

There's a suggestion thread that's been now revived about decoupling the kill slot limit from EQ, that might be of interest to you!  Won't do anything about the dead eggshells sitting there, but at least it wouldn't limit the amount of EQ you can use because you got unlucky with it.

3 minutes ago, ishlia said:

And I used to work as an illustrator. I did listen to clients, including complains. As frequently as possible. Maybe things were different.

I'll be done engaging after this but just wanted to point out that as someone who does similar work occasionally this isn't... really a fair comparison, considering us as the userbase are NOT clients to the artists in any way.

11 minutes ago, MissK. said:

Oh I know, I meant that according to people's experiences so far, that doesn't result in the new variant. Only EQ does.

Ooooh, I see! I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for clarifying. 

While I'm not happy that we have another breed that requires Earthquake to get - I am appreciative that spriters are coming up with "new" ways to make certain BSA's and the game as a whole more interactive/challenging.

Sure not every new addition caters to everyone's style, but the same can be said for any game/similar website [especially those with "premium" elements and people willing to pay vs. Free playing casuals].

That aside, has ANYTHING been said on Discord or discovered here about the Pyro babies?

Wanting to try my hand at getting some of the EQ babies, I opted to incubate all my Pyro eggs so they'll hatch sooner and am kind of hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot like some did with the Cantormaris.

11 minutes ago, Falorni said:

I'll be done engaging after this but just wanted to point out that as someone who does similar work occasionally this isn't... really a fair comparison, considering us as the userbase are NOT clients to the artists in any way.

I used to make game mods, and sometimes make small crafts for people too (Edit: thus they are not clients). As simple as they are, I enjoy feedbacks, whatever they are. So I would know what people think of them. Sometimes they think they are ugly or not useful, but it's fine. But I understand that people are different.

Edited by ishlia
Add words.

Just now, ShorahNagi said:

That aside, has ANYTHING been said on Discord or discovered here about the Pyro babies?

Wanting to try my hand at getting some of the EQ babies, I opted to incubate all my Pyro eggs so they'll hatch sooner and am kind of hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot like some did with the Cantormaris.

As a Discord lurker we're just as puzzled on pyro babies as you!  Im in the same boat of incubating both my bebes and nervously expecting to regret doing so lol

1 minute ago, ShorahNagi said:

While I'm not happy that we have another breed that requires Earthquake to get - I am appreciative that spriters are coming up with "new" ways to make certain BSA's and the game as a whole more interactive/challenging.

Sure not every new addition caters to everyone's style, but the same can be said for any game/similar website [especially those with "premium" elements and people willing to pay vs. Free playing casuals].

No observations on the Pyro babies as of yet via Discord from what I'm aware of. Looks as though we may need to wait til adults.

4 minutes ago, ishlia said:

I used to make game mods, and sometimes make small crafts for people too (Edit: thus they are not clients). As simple as they are, I enjoy feedbacks, whatever they are. So I would know what people think of them. Sometimes they think they are ugly or not useful, but it's fine. But I understand that people are different.

Hey I'm being genuine here but I think either you misunderstood my point or I'm misunderstanding yours - what I meant is more along the lines of "while we're 100% entitled to give feedback and have opinions, we can't expect the artists to cater to our specific wants and whims because we're not a client they're working for"!  So sorry if this sounds rude, I'm a non-native speaker and easily might've just misunderstood what you meant so please let me know if I did ;v;

9 minutes ago, Arkee said:

[...]

That said, I don't think what happens is a case of a person or another saying "Oh, me no likey" and people attacking them for it. I was catching up with the thread to see if someone figured out the alts and a real lot of it comes across to me as "I can't collect this and continue a perfect score and I'm super salty." Or "Ugh, EQ again?!" Or yet "It's a shame that there are SO MANY BSA based breeds", while... it's just 2 breeds with EQ and some odd balls like Cantos that need specific things to be done to them (which reminds me of Eevee in Pokemon and I love it).

[...]

I think it's because it's been a lot of releases like that in a short span of time, while this wasn't something that had really happened before. Since the start of the year we got 3 BSA-based canto variants, then 2 more at the birthday release, along with pink sapphires which require abandoning, electrics that require stunning, nilias that require double fertility, and now these ones. That's 5 breeds with action-related variants, if we count the variants themselves it's 9. Considering this was a new development in the 15 years of DC's existence, it feels like a lot within a few months.

25 minutes ago, KageSora said:

There's a suggestion thread that's been now revived about decoupling the kill slot limit from EQ, that might be of interest to you!  Won't do anything about the dead eggshells sitting there, but at least it wouldn't limit the amount of EQ you can use because you got unlucky with it.

The suggestion thread is just a place for players to go to have discussions among themselves.

10 minutes ago, Falorni said:

because we're not a client they're working for"! 

We're not?

Who is the client if not the players?

7 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

We're not?

...no, not at all?  We haven't hired or commissioned these artists to do the sprites for us (with mmmmaybe the exception of DRs where artists help in creating specific concepts).

edit just reread this n realized it sounds a bit passive aggressive but idk how else to word it, so sorry if it comes off the wrong way

Edited by Falorni