TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

16 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

edit: Do we have any confirmation it's just rng/random chance? Is there any possibility what Floret you get when breeding could depend on other factors (time of day, cb/bred parents, whatever)? 

CB/bred parents seems to have absolutely no impact. From the small sample size in the spreadsheet, time of day also does not seem to matter. 

Since identical pairings result in different colored eggs, it appears random.

Pink alstro is most common, followed by purple alsto, gold alstro, and finally pink iris as the rarest.*

*Based on the completely unscientific "what I have personally seen" method.

45 minutes ago, lexi_ said:

i still dont understand WHY nilias change blue when abandoned. someone had some kind of theory, but it didnt make much sense to me still. i think the mechanic is really pointlses and silly. ESPECAILLY them turning when abandoned. 

I also do not "get" the logic behind it, but it doesn't bother me. To me, it's no more arbitrary than copper dragons giving precedence to the mother's biome, but only if she's cb. I just note it as something to remember for this variant and plan accordingly.

My take: this release had some unique mechanics, seemingly designed to get us out of our comfort zones. These things are (as far as I know) completely new:

• A variant that you can only get in the AP, after somebody else abandons it. (Massive altruistic breeding/abandoning results.)
  • A variant that has to be viewbombed to achieve. (Arguably the neglected dragon also has this mechanic.)
  • A variant that can change as either a hatchling or an egg.
  • Variants that require previously-neutral BSAs (ward, stun).
  • A variant that requires risking all the eggs on your scroll with earthquake—and incidentally can make a lie of the "has no effect" result because it DOES have an effect.
  • A variant that requires a BSA on both parents to breed.
  • A variant that loses its effect as both an egg and a hatchling.
  • Variants that can be traded successfully but not abandoned.

It's also the first time we have a cyclical breed that also has a "chaos" day, leaving in the opportunity for random breedings for those who prefer to try their luck.

The sapphires also join the cantomaris in that all eggs are the base form, and the variants must be produced by taking the designated action on each egg.

42 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It's about good parenting. Good parents (double incubate), nourish and cosset. A GOOD parent does not abandon a child, so it sort of starves back to blue. They can be traded and not turn - as in putting them up for adoption to a loving family. I think it's really sweet.

I like this idea.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It's about good parenting. Good parents (double incubate), nourish and cosset. A GOOD parent does not abandon a child, so it sort of starves back to blue. They can be traded and not turn - as in putting them up for adoption to a loving family. I think it's really sweet.

I do like this idea and I appreciate it's what the spriters intended, however it does sting to "waste" 2 ferts only for the egg to revert 😔  it'd be nice if hatchies stayed green even when AP'd

3 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

I found confirmation in an post of @trystan's that showed a purple floret that laid a gold egg (other parent was not a floret). This was two days ago, so that's still happening.

confirming the confirmation - this is the purple Iris Floret in question that laid the gold Iris egg. 

https://dragcave.net/view/2qtSt

^Honey is mine, but i didn't keep her egg, so this is Honey's link

6 hours ago, Seriva Senkalora said:

This is giving me a hard time, too.

Whenever people post about a "flood" of pink sapphire eggs I am asleep (or working). :(

Same. Joys of being on the other side of the world to most players. And I can't just adjust my schedule for a game

Do "old" Florets still appear in the cave? Haven't seen any for quite a while.

3 hours ago, Laura-Borealis said:

Wait, can a pink one go yellow? 

No, that why I said all blue sapphires will turn.

2 hours ago, lexi_ said:

i still dont understand WHY nilias change blue when abandoned. someone had some kind of theory, but it didnt make much sense to me still. i think the mechanic is really pointlses and silly. ESPECAILLY them turning when abandoned. 

I understood the explanation just fine - it's because its linked to your scroll.  Just as incubate reverses once and egg is abandoned, and influence, so does this fertility influence revert.

I like Fuzzbucket's explanation, too.  It's all about good parenting :)  And, as pointed out, they can be TRADED and stay green.  So anyone who doesn't want an egg and abandons it, why would they even care?

7 minutes ago, Gealach said:

Do "old" Florets still appear in the cave? Haven't seen any for quite a while.

I had caught one not in Jungle, and assumed it was the old style, as the new ones are from breeding, except for the peach ones.  Alpine still gives you gold, Forest purple.  And of course, the new peach ones in Jungle :)

Edited by daba555

14 hours ago, Tini said:

They do not appear to breed true.

Thanks, Tini!

Just learned that you cannot ward an egg that is in a trade. (The unofficial wiki says nothing about this.)

My egg that was up for trade got sick and I thought, if I warded it, I wouldn't have to cancel the trade. That didn't work so I ended up cancelling the trade so I could hide the egg.

My question is, if I ward it first, can I put a warded egg into a trade? (I'm perfectly willing for it to lose the ward when traded, as happens with many BSAs; I just want to be able to leave it in the trade without worrying about it dying from sickness.)

13 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

Just learned that you cannot ward an egg that is in a trade. (The unofficial wiki says nothing about this.)

My egg that was up for trade got sick and I thought, if I warded it, I wouldn't have to cancel the trade. That didn't work so I ended up cancelling the trade so I could hide the egg.

My question is, if I ward it first, can I put a warded egg into a trade? (I'm perfectly willing for it to lose the ward when traded, as happens with many BSAs; I just want to be able to leave it in the trade without worrying about it dying from sickness.)

I think you can, but if you ward it, you can try putting it to trade and if it doesn't want you to, it'll tell you.

I have done that a few times with things to see if I can, although I've not done that after warding.

EDIT:  I did ward an egg, and it would let me put it into trade.  But I don't know if it stayed warded while in trade.  I would guess that even if it did, yes, that would disappear if someone grabbed it.  So, only half an answer.

Edited by daba555

1 hour ago, Fyrebird said:

Just a note of caution, if warding does prevent it from getting sick while on your scroll, once the warding wears off after being traded, there is a chance the egg will just die on the other person's scroll.  I've heard of cases where that might have happened.

Question: I know the Nilias are a color variant , but did they get a new name? :)

1 hour ago, daba555 said:

EDIT:  I did ward an egg, and it would let me put it into trade.  But I don't know if it stayed warded while in trade.  I would guess that even if it did, yes, that would disappear if someone grabbed it.  So, only half an answer.

That's half an answer more than I had before! Thanks. :D

13 minutes ago, Magellan said:

Question: I know the Nilias are a color variant , but did they get a new name? :)

No they did not. It's just an alt color of the basic nilia, the same as the green spinel wyverns.

@Fyrebird Ah okay, thanks. Well, I couldn't really rule it out, since the new Florets are still Florets but have their own codenames like peach, periwinkle and the Gemshards go by aqua, citrine etc :)

1 hour ago, Pourlemoment said:

Just a note of caution, if warding does prevent it from getting sick while on your scroll, once the warding wears off after being traded, there is a chance the egg will just die on the other person's scroll.  I've heard of cases where that might have happened.

Yes, but I was thinking if you have a really desirable egg, if you can ward it before it gets sick and put it in trade, those excess views won't make it sick?  That's if it stays warded till traded.  And we all know about view-bombers :(  You can keep an eye out, and if it looks like it's a problem, at least the egg wont have gotten sick.

11 minutes ago, daba555 said:

Yes, but I was thinking if you have a really desirable egg, if you can ward it before it gets sick and put it in trade, those excess views won't make it sick?  That's if it stays warded till traded.  And we all know about view-bombers :(  You can keep an eye out, and if it looks like it's a problem, at least the egg wont have gotten sick.

Ward doesn't prevent sickness, it prevents death.

2 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

Just a note, *no* BSAs can be used on eggs while in trade. No actions at all, as far as I know. You can use it before and then put the egg in trade, but you can't do anything with the egg while it's in the trade. 

4 minutes ago, Tini said:

I feel like many people don't actually understand this, and really the text provided on-site is kind of vague. Ward prevents an egg of *dying* from sickness for 6 hours. That's all. The egg can still get sick, and it doesn't stop it from gaining stats, and if it's stats get *too* high it very well could die as soon as Ward wears off. 

19 minutes ago, Tini said:

Good enough.  If an egg gets sick while in the trade room, it can die, this solves that issue.  Anyway, the question was can a warded egg be traded.  Yes.

So in a trade, if the egg arrives sick, one would hope that it can be warded by the recipient.  Now, I am so dumb I might not notice.  But it's one reason I wish there could be "notes" in trade, or some kind of communication.

And nothing to do with this, but everyone is so busy looking for gemstones, I just caught me a gold.  I am stunned.  Only the second one I've even seen in over a year.

Edited by daba555

The ward holds through trade. Someone who got a canto that I had messed up yesterday discovered this... I was going to ward and then freeze 9it was messy.) I warded. Then I incubated it. **** DAMN ! So I APd it - I wanted a frozen white. The next person to get it was unable to ward it !

and carry on for a couple of posts !

15 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The ward holds through trade. Someone who got a canto that I had messed up yesterday discovered this... I was going to ward and then freeze 9it was messy.) I warded. Then I incubated it. **** DAMN ! So I APd it - I wanted a frozen white. The next person to get it was unable to ward it !

and carry on for a couple of posts !

Thanks, Fuzz.  but if it said already warded, then that means that the warding stays on it after trade?  Because if not, then that message wouldn't appear?  

While an egg can only be warded once, I'm pretty sure a trade would still turn it orange. I mean, that's the mechanic for that specific Canto coloration.

Yes, exactly  - ward holds through trade. And yes, a trade would turn it orange. This one was just APd not teleported so would have stayed white - if she had only known !

It is weird for me to see so many players worried about about how to get 4000 views or having a sick egg. I consider it a kind of side game to try and get as many views as I can so the few dragons in my scroll with less than 10000 views were either traded or donated then I wasn't there to slowly add them to all the hatcheries since creation. None ever died on me. The worst case was when I hid an egg that got sick while I was asleep and it wasn't cured untill the evening.

I know most don't have the time to keep an eye on them, I'm just sharing my experience.

Though the wiki says to "check them daily (or at least once every two days)", @rachii.xo lost 2 eggs by getting viewbombed in less than a day yesterday, so I think that, if you can check them about twice a day, you shouldn't worry about them getting sick.

It's like human babies, when your first child gets a cold, YOU get worried sick, but they turn out alright. 😊

Edited by Seejey

4 minutes ago, Seejey said:

It is weird for me to see so many players worried about about how to get 4000 views or having a sick egg. I consider it a kind of side game to try and get as many views as I can so the few dragons in my scroll with less than 10000 views were either traded or donated then I wasn't there to slowly add them to all the hatcheries since creation. None ever died on me. The worst case was when I hid an egg that got sick while I was asleep and it wasn't cured untill the evening.

I know most don't have the time to keep an eye on them, I'm just sharing my experience.

i have the same experience :D i dont intentionally try to get them as many views as i can, but usually i dont have a problem... unless i'm working with zyus/prizes/avatars. those are a pain. they almost always end up getting sick on me in the process of hatching. but ive never had anything die on me either :P 

3 minutes ago, Seejey said:

It's like human babies, when your first child gets a cold, YOU get worried sick, but they turn out alright. 😊

this is a cute way to put it :D 

Edited by lexi_

2 hours ago, daba555 said:

Yes, but I was thinking if you have a really desirable egg, if you can ward it before it gets sick and put it in trade, those excess views won't make it sick?

If you are making an offer on a trade, you have no way of telling the other person that your egg is warded. It can make a difference to them, and you may unknowningly annoy them if they accept your trade and then can't ward it.

If you're the one creating the trade link, you can say in your description that it's warded, so prospective traders will know that they won't be able to ward it. (Each egg can only be warded once. Even if it has warn off by the time it's traded, the new owner won't be able to ward it.)

…and I just realized that might be why some cantor eggs in trade are labeled warded. I'd been thinking that those people were trying to trade the new color without hatching them, and didn't realize that they will become orange instead of white as soon as they're traded.