TJ09

2020-10-25 - Halloween Event Begins!

1 hour ago, Pilauli said:

I don't know whether this is applicable to your situation, but the guards can't see very far in front of themselves.  So if you have a corridor like this (pardon the ASCII)

|_(guard)________         ____________________(goal)_

| you |

If you have a corridor like that, you ought to be able to wait and as soon as the guard turns his back on you and heads down his little dead-end tunnel, step out into the tunnel and run.  Even if he faces the right way to see you, he won't actually see you so long as you're farther away than the little cone of light in front of his face.

I hope that makes sense?

So, I don't know whether you have a situation like this or not, but if you do, then I hope this helps.  If you have a guard who is always between you and the exit, then yeah, there probably is another way around.

That wasn't the issue, but maybe it will help someone else. I got through it eventually, just the timing was much trickier than I expected and the guard blocking me had an annoyingly long path.

On a totally unrelated note, Biscuits is adorable and I love them.

I'm so frustrated with this rune puzzle! I understand how it works, I just don't have the brain power to solve it. 😭I want to reset it so I can just use the solution on the wiki, but I don't want to start the game all the way over.

Uh, I'm pretty sure you can get out of it by pressing backspace, and that then if you get back in, it will have the starting arrangement again.  Try that.

so, was anyone able to outrun the guards when you chose the flee option? i just want to know if it's possible XD

9 minutes ago, JuneBerry said:

I'm so frustrated with this rune puzzle! I understand how it works, I just don't have the brain power to solve it. 😭I want to reset it so I can just use the solution on the wiki, but I don't want to start the game all the way over.

The reset button only resets the room you're in.

2 minutes ago, ViridianIgnis said:

The reset button only resets the room you're in.

It does!? OMG thank you for that! I was about ready to completely give up on getting my halloween badge!

16 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Thanks for trying to explain it but I'm still lost. This is the scene before with the tiles if that helps. And Avery still isn't helping me. I thought after a few tries he is supposed to ask if you want to work together. At least he did the first time, but this second time around he just keeps saying "once more with feeling."

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (13).png

I'm still stuck here. And Avery is not being triggered to help me. Is this a glitch? Also, the second room looks different now: 

Screenshot (15).png

32 minutes ago, meruru said:

so, was anyone able to outrun the guards when you chose the flee option? i just want to know if it's possible XD

It is! I only did it once because otherwise you miss getting to talk to the Undead Dragon in the sewer, but you can skip the whole jail section if you manage to avoid bumping into people.

After doing the potion puzzle the second time, how do I get onto one of the other paths in the final maze?

33 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

It is! I only did it once because otherwise you miss getting to talk to the Undead Dragon in the sewer, but you can skip the whole jail section if you manage to avoid bumping into people.

Hm, I tried to flee, but that started an automatic sequence where I couldn't control my character anymore and they caught me in the end.

Overall, I thought the game was pretty fun and absolutely gorgeous, if a touch tedious in sections.

Luckily I didn't have much trouble with the things other people seemed to have trouble with because

-I've played a lot of open world games and past Valkmerian Tales games, I tend to click on or try to click on everything and try to investigate every possible nook and cranny, so I had no trouble finding my way out of the "you're walking in circles" desert, finding the museum in the city, finding my way out of jail, etc etc, but someone less inclined to attempting to interact with absolutely everything (I tried to open every door I saw lol) would likely have some trouble finding their way around.

-I've played a lot of Mastermind-esque games, so the orb puzzle was super easy, and I happened to correctly assume I needed to test all the doors and figure out a pattern for the door puzzle.

-I correctly assumed I only needed to block the Lich's big attack.

However, I still did have some issues. (my full critique below)

Spoiler

-I was only good at certain puzzles because I was already familiar with them or because I happened to assume correctly how they worked. Little hints, like Avery saying for the door puzzle "I think we have to go through the doors in a certain pattern" when you start and "I think we have to start over" after you go through a wrong door would've been great. 

-I thought the riddles were misleading. The first one says it begins and ends with a color warm- and the first ingredient is moonflower, a yellow and blue flower. Never would have occurred to me that the yellow and blue thing was supposed to be one of two "colors warm". This made green resting between its parents confusing as well because the moonflower isn't only, or really even mainly, yellow. The second riddle says the world tree's pieces are never odd, but- how were we supposed to know the cinna root was part of the world tree? I thought it was just a silly name for cinnamon. 

-For the rune puzzle, I had no idea where to even start, and unlike the other puzzles, there was no reset after you were a certain amount of wrong, or clues or tips of any kind. Just helpless clicking. This puzzle out of all of them seriously needed instructions and it had almost none. I also assumed I needed to get one line of each rune rather than make all of the tiles one rune (a valid assumption seeing as the instructions were to "match" them, not to eliminate all but one) before I just looked up the solution. The other puzzles could theoretically be intuitive and you could brute force your way through them if necessary. This one? Not going to happen.

-Doing the same puzzles twice made even the ones I did enjoy feel more tedious and was absolutely infuriating for people who had a hard time with them the first time around. 

-The lich battle was... spectacularly boring for all its buildup. Just clicking attack, wait, attack, wait, attack, wait, defend, wait... 

-If we investigate everything in the game, why do we end up knowing more about the lich and hidden kingdom than our own character? Starting with our character in a crater in the middle of the desert makes it seem like figuring out who they are and what happened is going to be a major part of the story and all we learn is.... they're some sort of archeologist who can sort of teleport. I.... neat, I guess, but why were they teleporting, who are they, why are they here, what are they capable of? The can't-really-teleport thing makes it seem like our character is no good at magic and then at the end of the game they casually go toe-to-toe with an ancient lich. I found that really abrupt and confusing. 

-The puzzles interrupt rather than compliment the story. You learn pretty much nothing about Sanda or the other characters during the puzzle that you didn't already know (Avery's serious, Stella's mysterious, Biscuit is cute). The only story we get is that of the fallen kingdom which is great and all but they aren't our characters and the lich is in the game for roughly thirty seconds. 

But yeah, overall it was pretty great and I loved the little easter eggs like the cabbage merchant and giving the green dragon a ham (was that a callback to the 2015 brewing mischief game?) and the woman saying to distrust anyone in a parka. Fun little touches ❤️ Thanks to everybody who worked on it, you did great! 

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Have you got javascript turned off - seems to me I recall from past years that they don't show up then...

You can't have java turned off OR have your adblocker going. Not very nice. 

I put the ingredients in the second cauldron - they must be the right order because they didn't black out but nothing happened to open a pathway and now I am stuck. help?

8 minutes ago, Mysfytt said:

I put the ingredients in the second cauldron - they must be the right order because they didn't black out but nothing happened to open a pathway and now I am stuck. help?

If you can still enter the second room, the order was probably wrong. Did you put 6 ingredients in?

Still stuck on the rune puzzle \o/ ! I'm attempting to use the solution from the wiki but after trying it for a straight 10 minutes I'm nowhere near the end.

Is there a specific order I need to do this guide for the rune puzzle in? Because my initial attempt was doing each row in order, but that wasn't doing anything, but neither was any other attempt.

I've been stuck here for two days. 😔

image.thumb.png.cfb389115e3378be7663ffdbfcb9f477.png

EDIT: Cool do accidentally making the whole thing a single tile worked as a proper solution.

Edited by Grimm

I just finished the game and I really thoroughly enjoyed it! thank you. 

just really quick bug report, if you use the reset option while the credits are scrolling, the text of the credits stays on the screen after resetting. idk where this should be posted, I hope this is an OK place for it. 

Screenshot_20201026-211436.thumb.png.808247669c6a9bac2daa82503c4d6716.png

12 minutes ago, Pixxelation said:

If you can still enter the second room, the order was probably wrong. Did you put 6 ingredients in?

yes, i did it wrong the first time but had it all right the next 3 times i tried but nothing so rest which wiped the ingredient list and did it again and it worked so must have been a lockout glitch from the first try failing.

Was boppin' to the music the whole time. Loved everything about the game! Art and story were adorable. Man I wish I was able to grab that 

Spoiler

gold egg

from the cave! 

*edit* I followed the guide on page 6-8 (can't remember which one) for the rune game. Would be happy to clarify anything if anyone wants! But someone's hint of ignoring any runes that change on the left on the row you're on is what worked for me. Don't worry about the left ones. Go one rune at a time

Edited by Katiee

Okay, bred my Caligene (now waiting for some to hatch before I breed my Kohrakis) - no idea what (if any) breeding I'll do with my other Halloweens

That aside, I wish the event was more mobile friendly (Valekmare Tales) - hopefully I can find some time to get on my lap top or PC and play

I still do not understand the rune even after reading the wiki entry and pages 6-8. Something about all tiles should be Desipis (orange) in the end.