TJ09

2018-02-08 - Valentine's Event Schedule

1 minute ago, ArielGrint said:

Personally I think it would only add to the challenge, seeing how it is so random ;) So some might actually start breeding dragons they don't care about actually being a breedable pair to get what they want. And it might be kind of more "realistic" in a way as heartbreak isn't always a logical thing and you can't really plan for it to happen(or not happen). And as I said, at least it would make that one stupid mechanic less frustrating at times. I am not really opposed to the sickness idea though, don't get me wrong, this just feels more fitting to me personally :) 

I would be more than happy with any one of those options, too. I like them both and both refusal and sickness need some redeeming side-effects.  :lol:

I really like how the Aegis works and would love to see something similar implemented to solve the Sweetling-crisis. I think this could be a solution everyone can live with,s ince everyone gets to decide themselves what colors they want to have, while still being able to have both. And we can leave the CB-counter at two, just like with the Aegis.

As an old timer, I think it would be better to have the events leading UP to the actual holiday. It makes the excitement for the holiday that much greater, adds anticipation, like an Advent Calendar.

Waiting til on/then after the Holiday, one kinda loses interest in it after the first day. I did. I did enough to get my badge then I was like, meh.

I also missed out on the Alt Sweetlings, even tho I was here, because remember: the Alt Sweetlings were given as a make up for a few people due to a glitch that year causing the loss of their dragons. I didn't get affected by the glitch, therefore I did not get an alt.

But that's ok, sure it would be nice, but I'm not gonna scream for one.

However, I think if there IS going to be a fair solution that would please almost everyone, the one where each person can have two black and two pink is the best in this situation. Just my 5 and half cents.

1 minute ago, Tiki G said:

I like this suggestion too. It would make sense with the breed color mechanic, would be an interesting and new feature, and wouldnt negate the breed limits.

Only problem i see is it clashing with fertility. Do you use fertility to hopefully avoid refusals, or skip it and take the higher chance in "hopes" of possibly getting an alt sweetling out of it.

Though i recall there being a suggestion (from TJ?) to possibly change fertility to increasing the chance of a multi-clutch rather than reducing refusals. Not sure how well that went with users, but could possibly be a 2 birds with 1 stone deal?

If this mechanic was introduced, personally I would use fertility on those pairings I need or really want to succeed(e.g. checker mates or rares), but maybe breed random CBs that I don't necessarily care about too much to get a refusal. 

I do like that Fertility can help avoid a refusal, I don't really care for multi-clutches outside of holidays... I feel like the way it is now is maybe more practical for most breedings :)

3 minutes ago, Tiki G said:

I like this suggestion too. It would make sense with the breed color mechanic, would be an interesting and new feature, and wouldnt negate the breed limits.

Only problem i see is it clashing with fertility. Do you use fertility to hopefully avoid refusals, or skip it and take the higher chance in "hopes" of possibly getting an alt sweetling out of it.

Well, you have to kill or let die something on your scroll in order to enrage an Aegis, so ... seems like most players are already used to trade-offs like this.

49 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Yay valentines eggs! 

Not even touching the sweetling debate.  -.-

But why, why, WHY are doing the "event's after the holidays now?  I've hated the last two Christmas events because of this.  Doing the events is something to break up the time while hunting.  It's part of the celebration of, and lead up to, the holiday, or at least it always has been for me.  After the holiday is just "meh".  Nothing like sending cards after the fact.  :(   I, just, I don't like it.  It feels backwards to me. 

I suppose because we don't send Val cards until the day, for instance ? or exchange Christmas gifts till 25th (or 24th in some countries.)

2 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Well, you have to kill or let die something on your scroll in order to enrage an Aegis, so ... seems like most players are already used to trade-offs like this.

Fair point. :)

I agree about the timing of the event. There's a sort of excitement that's present before a holiday that the days after the holiday lack.

This thread needs splittingl It would be nice to talk about THIS year's event and the sweetling thing could go in the thread where it has already been being discussed to death. I realise the change was announced as part of this year's event, but even so - it is leaving this thread with nothing but negativity.

5 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Based on the response, I've decided to revise the decision around alt Sweetlings.

Let me first make it clear: alt Sweetlings are not going to see wider distribution. I'm sorry if that disappoints anyone who is or was hoping to eventually be able to get one, but it's not going to happen.

Instead, the behavior will be changed to allow everyone to access normal Sweetlings without breaking too many existing lineages. Rather than fully retiring alts, those with alts will be able to breed more and trade with people who also have alts, but eggs from non-alt Sweetlings will not magically become alts upon changing hands to someone with alts.

This change is live (or completely broken; we'll find out) not yet live but will be added soon. I'll update this post when it happens. Anyone who has already bred their alts will have the alt status updated upon the egg hatching.

Thank you TJ.  I enjoy and would like to see the Alt lineages breed true.  

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

This thread needs splittingl It would be nice to talk about THIS year's event and the sweetling thing could go in the thread where it has already been being discussed to death. I realise the change was announced as part of this year's event, but even so - it is leaving this thread with nothing but negativity.

I like this suggestion! Im personally staying out of the debate and just enjoying the good stuff.

Let the hunt begin!

I am happy that i have a change to get CB Valentines.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

To be fair, if it wasn't the sweetling thing, I suspect it would be "drops are too quick, I can't catch anything" negativity. As much as I appreciate the fact that I can now supposedly catch all of the old valentines, it would be nice if it didn't take so long to do so, and I suspect there are many who feel the same way

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

While I see your point, I don't think our brainstorming about potential solutions is negative in any way. Actually, I think it's really uplifting how quickly we all agreed on a potential solution that could not only work but even add a nice new challenge to the game.

YAY! I'm so happy! I have Val '09s by a stroke of luck, but I was missing three others, including Sweetlings (Valentine's Day is a difficult holiday for me to remember, since I don't celebrate it, haha). Now just need two Sweetlings and I'll have CBs of everything. <3  Thank you so much, TJ!

25 minutes ago, Shroomlet said:

While I see your point, I don't think our brainstorming about potential solutions is negative in any way. Actually, I think it's really uplifting how quickly we all agreed on a potential solution that could not only work but even add a nice new challenge to the game.

I agree with Shroomlet, here. Pointing out a problem and discussing possible solutions isn't NECESSARILY negative ( ALTHOUGH I can easily see how it could become so.)

I thought the discussion was NOWHERE near as vitriolic as some I have seen in the past, TBH, and that people did a good job of keeping it respectful. Kudos to those involved for that.

Edited by JavaTigress

Totally unfair as usual. Retirement SHOULD have been implemented and all ALT sweetlings disappeared. They should NEVER have been released in the first place, and they should not be continued.

But the alts are pretty. Since we've  had them for 8 years simply having them disappear would make people more angry than what did happen.

I don't think there is a solution that will make everyone happy. I'd personally prefer a solution where I could get bred alts on my scroll, but that seems very unlikely to ever happen. (I think the licorice sweets are prettier than the pink ones but though I caught my sweets pretty much immediately when they were released I was not affected by the glitch so I missed out on the alts)

I'm not going to disagree with the thought that it was a poor solution at the time but that was then and we've lived with the alts now for a long time. We shouldn't take them away from people.

9 minutes ago, Cinnamin Draconna said:

Totally unfair as usual. Retirement SHOULD have been implemented and all ALT sweetlings disappeared. They should NEVER have been released in the first place, and they should not be continued.

Well, as for them having been a mistake in the firstplace...maybe.

That said, however, I think that taking AWAY altsweets from the people that already have them wouldn't be any more fair than having them unavailable to the rest.

Keeping in mind that they were, as a I understand a gift of sorts?

Maybe it is just ME personally but.... I'd rather see more lovely dragons available for all, rather than take away from what people already have?

Edited by JavaTigress

1 hour ago, ArielGrint said:

Or maybe tie it to the breeding refusal? So say if two dragons refused each other in the past 2 weeks, then you can turn one of your Sweetlings heartbroken. I mean breeding refusal is that one game mechanic everybody hates and at least this would add some sweet to the bitter(and it would make sense seeing how Valentine dragons are love-related)

Bad idea, another drama would arise. This would exclude everone who has a monogamy (or 2-3 fixed mates only) rule in their playstyle. You couldn't get a monogamous alt sweetling in years if at all, not to mention if it's meant to be a holiday x holiday. Not the best sollution if not horrible. No other dragon works like that and it should not change. Implementation of nwe weird exceptions can cause people to leave, and I  know someone who had enough of such exceptions getting introduced in person.

Random chance for CB alting would be best. Expanding the mechanic the Black Swetlings are getting to Pinks as well would be good enoguh. Not hurting anyone either.

Edited by MhKhu

3 minutes ago, MhKhu said:

Bad idea, another drama would arise. This would exclude everone who has a monogamy (or 2-3 fixed mates only) rule in their playstyle. You couldn't get a monogamous alt sweetling in years if at all, not to mention if it's a holiday x holiday. Not the best sollution. No other dragon works like that and it should not change. Ewird exceptions can cause people to leave, and I  know someone who had enough of such exceptions getting introduced in person.

Random chance for CB alting would be best. Expanding the mechanic the Black Swetlings are getting to Pinks as well would be good. Not hurting anyone either.

I understood it that it wouldn't have to be the sweetling that refuses but a dragon on the scroll. As with Aegis it can be any dead egg on scroll.

btw. I'm liking the sweetling behaving like an Aegis a lot alot

7 minutes ago, MhKhu said:

Bad idea, another drama would arise. This would exclude everone who has a monogamy (or 2-3 fixed mates only) rule in their playstyle. You couldn't get a monogamous alt sweetling in years if at all, not to mention if it's meant to be a holiday x holiday. Not the best sollution if not horrible. No other dragon works like that and it should not change. Implementation of nwe weird exceptions can cause people to leave, and I  know someone who had enough of such exceptions getting introduced in person.

Random chance for CB alting would be best. Expanding the mechanic the Black Swetlings are getting to Pinks as well would be good enoguh. Not hurting anyone either.

Oh, it was not to mean the Sweetling you wish to turn has to have a refusal, but any pair on your scroll, and that a refual in a certain time-window would unlock a specific BSA for all Sweetling allowing you to turn them Black, just like with the Aegis.

And well, plenty of people don't want to kill to turn their Aegis - and that's their choice and that's fine.

Edited by Shroomlet

13 minutes ago, Cinnamin Draconna said:

Ah, yes, because taking away something people have had for eight years is obviously the most fair thing to do.

5 minutes ago, MhKhu said:

Actually if their pairing is Holiday x Holiday then they can just breed it out of season and get their alt Sweetling - this way the dragons are still monogamous and the refusal will not have any impact on them. I didn't mean that the Sweetling should refuse someone to be able to use the BSA, I meant that any two dragons on the scroll should get a refusal

And there are some people who do not kill/harm their dragons, yet Aegis got its BSA that basically requires you to do just that