TJ09

2018-02-08 - Valentine's Event Schedule

29 minutes ago, Starscream said:

My understanding is, you trade with an alt player and you are also an alt player hten theoretically it will be an alt. I spoke to TJ just now about this, we have to wait and see if the code works. An alt egg, to a pink scroll will result in an pink egg. A pink egg to a alt scroll will result in an pink egg.

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

If the parent of the egg is an alt, and the recipient can have alts, it'll be an alt (similar to how they were before: the egg would un-alt after trading to you, then re-alt after going to "someone else with alts"). It has less to do with the scroll of origin in any given transaction, and more to do with the parent. This is important because if a person with alts breeds a non-alt, its progeny won't alt.

He had already replied, but here's my understanding:

Offspring from alt parent w/ alt owner = Alt.

Offspring from alt parent w/ pink owner = Pink.

Offspring from pink parent = Always pink, regardless of owner.

Additionally, offspring from alts will change color to match the scroll that they are currently on until they grow up, just as in previous years.

So everyone can do pure pink now, and alt owners can still do pure alt, but alternating lineages are no longer possible. (Save for some quirky things like this.)

2 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Based on the response, I've decided to revise the decision around alt Sweetlings.

Let me first make it clear: alt Sweetlings are not going to see wider distribution. I'm sorry if that disappoints anyone who is or was hoping to eventually be able to get one, but it's not going to happen.

Instead, the behavior will be changed to allow everyone to access normal Sweetlings without breaking too many existing lineages. Rather than fully retiring alts, those with alts will be able to breed more and trade with people who also have alts, but eggs from non-alt Sweetlings will not magically become alts upon changing hands to someone with alts.

This change is live (or completely broken; we'll find out) not yet live but will be added soon. I'll update this post when it happens. Anyone who has already bred their alts will have the alt status updated upon the egg hatching.

Well, that's unfair. Why some people who a few years back were apparently lucky to get affected by a glitch once are to win 2 Sweetling variants availability, while all the rest of users of that year and on still can obtain just 1 of these? In what way is that fair? Even retiring their breeding true would resuld in some people getting suddenly allowed to own both variants and all the rest still just one (so no matter if you let them breed or not, one group of people will end up priviledged with being able to obtain more than 1 variant!). 

Either don't change Alt Sweetlings at all(and allow CBs), or make it fair and either let everyone have both variants without unfair exceptions or exchange the all existent black sprites to pink. There are NO other fair ways.

Well I don't care what I can possibly get as long as everyone else can possiblyget the same - not more, not less. 

TJ, you were on a not bad way to make things a more fair bit by bit, why ruin your work with introducing another unfair mechanic that favors some users and completely discriminates the rest:/ You think your reasons are really wort it? I don't... 

Edited by MhKhu

11 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

The AP is full of nothing but Aransis. Guess I know what the least favorite breed is now.

Not so sure. If someone is breeding their scroll, they'd start with those....

I have a couple of lineages wit them - but haevn't seen anything in the AP yet that fits.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

11 minutes ago, MhKhu said:

You think your reasons are really wort it?

THAT is not how you win arguments.

I'm missing Val '09's and Sweetlings (have been there for the latter, just not on that day because real life), as well as a few 2nd CBs because I froze one of my CBs of these breeds. Not sure if I want to release my Heartseeker hatchie though, I like its code :(

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Wish we could get confirmation on if unfreezing is ever happening. I'm sitting on several frozen CBs as well that I'd rather not get rid of if they can be saved.

4 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

THAT is not how you win arguments.

Sorry, but to make a good decision you need to consider everything, not just why you want to make the change (in this case, sth like because TJ wishes to reduce the amount of new Black Sweetlings and doesn't want to let more CBs of them) but how it will affect the thing, here the users&game - and it will make it unfair and favor some group of users (who didn't even earn it, they just got RNGed) and discriminate another. Sorry but in such case its a want and mybe regrets(for introducing these alts at all) vs fairness (simply speaking).

Edited by MhKhu

@MhKhu I don't argue with that, it was just that one statement that just *reeks* of ... I don't even know how to describe it in English, it just looks wrong to me.

I'm done with offtopicness, don't have much to add to the valentine bit.

Actually, THIS is pretty unfair. I didn't get pink, although I do have the black alts. So I can't say I was "privileged" - I'd like to have them both as well. However, it just happened. What's not fair is changing things now, when a lot of users made breeding plans and maybe gave a lot of valuable dragons in exchange for Sweetling Alts IoUs.

It really sounds like... "if I can't have this thing, then no one should have it." Huh. I never looked THAT much into someone else's stuff - or felt envious about their luck. I have Sweetling lines from pinks that turned black on my scroll (https://dragcave.net/lineage/N89rW)  Maybe I would've wan THEM to stay pink - and they just didn't. And I accepted the fact without starting to making waves because of it. :(

When will we stop trying to make others feel miserable because of our own issues? When will we start focusing on our own luck/situation instead of looking at what others got? When will we grow up? I feel pretty sad and disappointed right now.

Edited by xyzmary2001

10 minutes ago, xyzmary2001 said:

Actually, THIS is pretty unfair. I didn't get pink, although I do have the black alts. So I can't say I was "privileged" - I'd like to have them both as well. However, it just happened. What's not fair is changing things now, when a lot of users made breeding plans and maybe gave a lot of valuable dragons in exchange for Sweetling Alts IoUs.

It really sounds like... "if I can't have this thing, then no one should have it." Huh. I never looked THAT much into someone else's stuff - or felt envious about their luck. I have Sweetling lines from pinks that turned black on my scroll (https://dragcave.net/lineage/N89rW)  Maybe I would've wan THEM to stay pink - and they just didn't. And I accepted the fact without starting to making waves because of it. :(

When will we stop trying to make others feel miserable because of our own issues? When will we start focusing on our own luck/situation instead of looking at what others got? When will we grow up? I feel pretty sad and disappointed right now.

disagreed. Now you're making pink owners and people wishing for FAIRness feel miserable for asking for being treated fairly, you're belittling other's discrimination and that's pretty perfidious, or at least lacking minimal empathy. 

Notice that if the change remains as is atm, you'll be able to get BOTH variants as you wish, others will be in the position of never being able to get the other one... And it's not about you, it's about TJ and what he's doing to the userbase... Sure it's not your fault nor achievement you have the alts and that you might end up allowed to get both while others don't. Neither is the Pink owners... Those who scream it's not fair aren't attacking you and other alt owners, we're addressing the bossman. 

Edited by MhKhu

Oh no this place is heated again... ;-;

Got my 7 CB eggs, now I can relax for 2 days till I go back into an egg-grabbing frenzy. Yus.

1 minute ago, SkyWolf25 said:

Oh no this place is heated again... ;-;

Drama? On my Dragon Cave?

It's more likely than you think.

/meme XD

exchange the all existent black sprites to pink

That is the worst possible solution. I would be absolutely devastated to have a sprite I love so much, have had for 8 years, and have spent the last few years building some of my favorite lines, suddenly change to a different color. Because... why? I really didnt think Alt Sweets were that much of an issue and still dont really see the need to change anything about them at all. The only people who can get them are those who already have them, so I dont understand the issue of them "spreading" or "becoming more available".

I just want to keep my Alt Sweets. I want to be able to continue their lines and enjoy them as they are. Mistake or not, they exist and taking them away... 8 years later... is just unfair. 

I love my Alt Sweets, they have been my favorite dragon for many years, and the thought of losing them makes me more sad than I would like to admit. I dont need or want to collect pinks. I just want to keep my boys the way they are.

In from work and wondering how many days it will take me to catch the four CB''s I need...

18 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

Drama? On my Dragon Cave?

It's more likely than you think.

/meme XD

x'D yeah, I think we've had drama in most of the releases...

I somehow think it is a bit amusing how Valentine's Day (or well, the Valentine's Day Event here), which is supposed to be a day of love, turns into drama once again. Last year it was more understandable to me, and now it is... just weird.

When I read that the Alt Sweetlings should be retired, I already thought that it will bring a huge uproar. And that many Alt Sweetling breeders will be sad and disappointed. Glad that they will not be retired now. Though I don't know hat to think about the new "solution". I actually never really realized how much of in issue the Alt Sweetlings were in the first place. Though this year is the first time where I would actively search for a 2nd gen from Alt Sweetling.

Am I the only one that doesn't care what color my CB sweetlings are? As much as I would love to have a black pair, I'm happy with pink. I also completely understand and accept that there are things on DC that I will never have. Maybe I just am missing something though.

I don't often take part in "drama" discussions, but I do feel like this is worth it. I disagree with the decision regarding Alt Sweetlings... I believe that they either should stay the way they were(so those who have alt-scrolls will only get alts and those who have normal scrolls could only have normal dragons) or they should start breeding true regardless of the scroll coding. Or maybe even there should be a 50/50 chance for the new CBs to Alt. What to me makes the current decision unfair is the fact that now some users can have both variations, while others can only have 1. Alt Sweetlings were indeed a consolation prize for the glitch that happened a while ago and that is fine, but why should those users now be given an "extra" reward? The way Sweetlings have worked up until now was fine with most users, so why fix what ain't broke?

However, I do feel like it is unfair to punish people for not being on DC long enough. Now that all of the old CB Holidays have been re-released and with Arias & Frills back in the cave newer users are at less of a disadvantage as they no longer have to pay ridiculous prices for 2g Hollies/Val09s, but Alt Sweetlings have stayed a time-based privilege because they are only accessible to those who have been there for the original release. I remember a few years back during one of the Valentine events there was a glitch where people with pink-coded scrolls actually got alt hatchies from alt parents and honestly, that was great and maybe it should've been left at that. Just make both variations breed true and I think everyone will be happy with that. 

Also, I would really really really like to make it clear that I do not have any beef with Alt owners. You guys got affected by a pretty devastating glitch and that's how you "earned" your dragons, this is obviously not something you could've influenced and I am sure you couldn't have predicted the trading advantage at that point. My issue is with retroactive changes that are happening 8 years later and are creating a disparity that cannot be reasonably justified. I hope none of you feel attacked by my post :wub:

Edited by ArielGrint
correcting stupid grammar mistakes ;)

6 minutes ago, lucidapple said:

Am I the only one that doesn't care what color my CB sweetlings are? As much as I would love to have a black pair, I'm happy with pink. I also completely understand and accept that there are things on DC that I will never have. Maybe I just am missing something though.

Thing is you won't be able to get Blacks but those who have Blacks will be able to get Pinks too. One word: unfair. If it was kept the way it was, there would be no such drama, if both could be obtained by both groups on equivalent contitions, there would be no drama, but one group of old users who were lucky a few years back now can obtain both and the rest can obtain just one = "drama" is even necessary. 

Edited by MhKhu

4 minutes ago, ArielGrint said:

I don't often take part in "drama" discussions, but I do feel like this worth it. I disagree with the decision regarding Alt Sweetlings... I believe that their either should stay the way they were(so those who have alt-scrolls will only get alts and those who have normal scrolls could only have normal dragons) or they should start breeding true regardless of the scroll coding. Or maybe even there should be a 50/50 chance for the new CBs to Alt. What to me makes the current decision unfair is the fact that now some users can have both variations, while others can only have 1. Alt Sweetlings were indeed a consolation for the glitch that happened a while ago and that is fine, but why should those users now be given an "extra" reward? The way Sweetlings have worked up until now was fine with most users, so why fix what ain't broke?

However, I do feel like it is unfair to punish people for not being on DC long enough. Now that all of the old CB Holidays have been re-released and with Arias & Frills back in the cave newer users are at less of a disadvantage as they no longer have to pay ridiculous prices for 2g Hollies/Val09s, but Alt Sweetlings have stayed a time-based privilege because they are only accessible to those who have been there for the original release. I remember a few years back during one of the Valentine events there was a glitch, so people with pink-coded scrolls actually got alt hatchies from alt parents and honestly, that was great and maybe it should've been left at that. Just make both variations breed true and I think everyone will be happy with that. 

I think this is very well said and I completely agree.

1 hour ago, xyzmary2001 said:

8 minutes ago, lucidapple said:

These two :)

But could we possibly get back to enjoying the catching and breeding we can actually do instead of griping ? I have a great need of 3 past CBs, so I'm outta here.

I don’t think the alts should go away. I know the likelihood of me obtaining one is low. I don’t feel a need to be upset over them, I have played other now non existent breeding collect games and “glitches” happened making those line valued and cool in their coding. Sometimes the Cylon in the computer does weird things, some people get a cool surprise as a result... I know we want to collect them all, but honestly there are lots of dragon breeds I see but can never catch, or don’t see at all. The fact people will be able to breed and trade them is okay with me. I just don’t think wiping them out completely is a good solution. I am glad TJ decided not to make them all pink. I get some are upset and feel it’s not fair, but life can be that way, even in computer games. When I play chess White has First Move Advantage, and Black is always starting with a disadvantage it must overcome... not fair but that’s the game. Note I said now non existing above in other words the game got bought by Disney who promptly killed it completely a real bummer for all the people who put money into that one to buy cool things (I never did that myself but lots of people did). Just saying I have seen way more unfair things go down in computer games including ones that had paid accounts or required you buy stuff if you wanted blank. 

Just got all the CB's I needed. ^_^ Godspeed everyone. I'm so in love with Sweetlings and Heartseekers <3 

Honestly, I think this change is just as bad as the first. Pink Sweetling owners get only Pinks, but Alt owners are given both? What? How is allowing one group to have more than the other fair? Yes, I know there are Alt owners who want Pinks instead, but I have also had lineages ruined when they turned Pink on my scroll. It's an issue rhat applies to both sides. Why can't they just breed true for everyone?

I was sad to see the alts retire for a few hours, but I'm even sadder to see this happen. So much drama will come out of this.

Edit: I can't spell this morning

Edited by The Dragoness