TJ09

2018-02-08 - Valentine's Event Schedule

1 minute ago, saltywench said:

I'm absolutely furious my alt sweetlings wont breed alt anymore. Who in the world was THAT hurting? WHY. Just a clear good reason to kill off a breed of dragons people have been carefully breeding for SEVEN YEARS. Thanks for slapping Valentines day joy.

:D 

Happy to see all those beautiful checkers won't be ruined!

Edited by MaeTM

1 minute ago, saltywench said:

wait, what?

the man did the unthinkable and changed his mind

Actually.. the way he describes the 'new' fix would make some lineages impossible still. Alternating lines would be impossible if eggs from non-alts no longer become alts on alt scrolls.

I guess this is 'better' than retirement, but this is still not the best solution for everyone.

Yay! Looking forward to catching CB's from Valentines and Rosebuds :D Great decision that Alt Sweetlings will still be there. Not that I have any, but that doesn't matter :D

Happy hunting everyone!

1 minute ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Well, that turned out about as I expected. But now one group gets to have both colors, while another group only has one. Disappointing, and I see no reason why it can't be both colors for both groups. (I expect because people won't complain about that as much as the retirement.)

More like the alts are still more-or-less retired except for in the limited capacity of continuing lineages. Since non-alt lines will not be able to turn into alt lines, it's still a limitation and still caps how much alts can "spread."

Alts are not going to see a wider release because I don't think making them available as CBs is appropriate—and any solution that doesn't involve CBs being widely obtainable is a nonstarter (Existing CB alt availability is to restricted that the trading economy around alts would be awful). The alts were only allowed to be a thing in the first place because of their limited scope, and releasing an eight-year-old sprite that was intended to be niche (first created as a spriter's alt) makes little sense.

Amazing. 

It it is good he did though. There was really no reason to delete something that had been in cave for eight years from the beginning as it was.

7 minutes ago, 11th said:

I just want to clarify: If I trade for a 2G from alt and then pass the egg to someone else with alts, would my scroll handling it result in a pink? Would it need to be a straight alt -> alt user trade?

If the parent of the egg is an alt, and the recipient can have alts, it'll be an alt (similar to how they were before: the egg would un-alt after trading to you, then re-alt after going to "someone else with alts"). It has less to do with the scroll of origin in any given transaction, and more to do with the parent. This is important because if a person with alts breeds a non-alt, its progeny won't alt.

1 minute ago, TJ09 said:

More like the alts are still more-or-less retired except for in the limited capacity of continuing lineages. Since non-alt lines will not be able to turn into alt lines, it's still a limitation and still caps how much alts can "spread."

Alts are not going to see a wider release because I don't think making them available as CBs is appropriate—and any solution that doesn't involve CBs being widely obtainable is a nonstarter (Existing CB alt availability is to restricted that the trading economy around alts would be awful). The alts were only allowed to be a thing in the first place because of their limited scope, and releasing an eight-year-old sprite that was intended to be niche (first created as a spriter's alt) makes little sense.

I feel I have to disagree on that, though. I do not see how it would be unfeasible to have more than one Sweetling variant. We have three Snow Angel variants. Granted, I do not think scroll locking the variants was the best way to go about it.

Why exactly would it not be appropriate?  

Well I still can't continue my lineage since I don't have alts, but I'm glad that users can still keep theirs.

4 minutes ago, saltywench said:

THANK YOU TJ I LOVES YOU FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRR *HUGS MY ALTS*

There's really no reason to thank me for fixing something that I had just messed up.

1 minute ago, TJ09 said:

There's really no reason to thank me for fixing something after I messed it up.

I'm still very grateful. <3

4 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I feel I have to disagree on that, though. I do not see how it would be unfeasible to have more than one Sweetling variant. We have three Snow Angel variants. Granted, I do not think scroll locking the variants was the best way to go about it.

Why exactly would it not be appropriate?  

errrr....just my two cents here (not having an alt myself!): why would we need a third alt for the Sweetlings? The original black alt is, IIRC, because those users lost their original eggs. That is the only reason so many users have this black alt sweetling, instead of it being a Spriter's alt.

The snow angel variants were there from the beginning. And with those you can also only have one variant on your scroll (unless I missed something last Christmas).

Keeping the normal Sweetling and the black alt is perfectly fine with me :)

Edited by Sheriziya

@Sheriziya Not a third variant, but just that there are more than one. There was talk of letting users be able to get the other SA variants in some way, but that didn't seem to actually go anywhere this past year, sadly.

And I know why they exist, but that was 8 years ago, and worse glitches have happened with no special compensation such as that.

29 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

Based on the response, I've decided to revise the decision around alt Sweetlings.

Let me first make it clear: alt Sweetlings are not going to see wider distribution. I'm sorry if that disappoints anyone who is or was hoping to eventually be able to get one, but it's not going to happen.

Instead, the behavior will be changed to allow everyone to access normal Sweetlings without breaking too many existing lineages. Rather than fully retiring alts, those with alts will be able to breed more and trade with people who also have alts, but eggs from non-alt Sweetlings will not magically become alts upon changing hands to someone with alts.

This change is either live (or completely broken; we'll find out) not yet live but will be added soon. I'll update this post when it happens. Anyone who has already bred their alts will have the alt status updated upon the egg hatching.

Thank you, TJ. THAT works for me.

\o/ Whoo, my plans are still possible.

Thank you for reconsidering and for the quick answer.

Edited by 11th

32 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

but eggs from non-alt Sweetlings will not magically become alts upon changing hands to someone with alts.

Well, that's a downer.

This lineage: https://dragcave.net/lineage/BJo9S was specifically designed with the *old* behaviour in mind. I guess I can now retire the 4 second gens involved. :dry:

I suppose it just wouldn't be a holiday in DC without some drama, but I'd like to say that I, too, am glad TJ isn't retiring black Sweetlings entirely.

I'd also like to take this opportunity, since I didn't on Halloween and x-mas, to say thank you that old CBs are available again. I'm really happy about this, since I was so disappointed with the number of old ones I had missed.

Well, this event is off to a weird start. Holiday drama as per usual, then. 

*Camps out in Valentine's biome to catch the FOUR breeds she's missing*

Back to bed for me since eggs dissappear in two seconds. I hope I have better luck later in the day.

2 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

Haha, same amount I'm missing. Let's hope we get them. :)

2 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

Well, this event is off to a weird start. Holiday drama as per usual, then. 

Hey, I was missing four, too, until I caught a CB Val '09 and Sweetling a few minutes ago. The other two are Heartseekers and Arsanis. Which ones are you gunning for?

I...don't even know what alt Sweetlings are XD I mean, I think I've seen some wonky-colored ones, but thought they were, like, creator alts. Still don't know what they are.

But anyway, finally got locked; so happy to have 2 Mutamore to call my own :3 Now just gotta work on those Radiant Angels...

Edited by Natakiro