TJ09

2018-02-08 - Valentine's Event Schedule

Why am I torturing myself by refreshing the AP when I'm locked? I should be unlocked in less then an hour (waiting for a zombie-fodder hatchie to die) so why can't I just be patient?

I, too, do not like the change to events happening *after* the holiday. It doesn't make much sense to me, in general people normally get excited about a holiday in the weeks leading up to it, and then once it passes they go back to their normal routine and forget about it. Why have a holiday event where the majority of it takes place after the holiday is done and over? It really doesn't make sense to me.

The thing is, the people with alt Sweetlings don't suddenly get to have four CB Sweetlings. They still only can have two on their scroll at a time, but it is their decision to release their alts to get new pink Sweetlings or leave it be. The alt Sweetling owners aren't suddenly granted four CB Sweetling slots, just so you know.

Oh, and while I'm here! While I still really want to see Alt Sweetlings given a wider release, I will say thanks, TJ, for all the things you have done in the last two years to make things more accessible. With the return of old holidays and retired breeds, I've enjoyed DC more in the past two years then I have probably since BSAs were released. I'm really grateful for the expanding collection opportunities and hope that, in time, that applies to Alt Sweets and higher CB Christmas / Valentine limits as well. Onward and upward... but what's already been done is noticed and appreciated. :D 

19 minutes ago, Kiyoki said:

oh help is it me or are there maybe 6 eggs every time they're in the cave?

No, that's about right.  And six seconds to catch them in. :dry:

1 hour ago, JavaTigress said:

I would actually really, REALLY like the idea of being able to change them back and forth? Much like Aegis?

At way, if someone WANTS the alt sweets they can have em and if not then... not!

I have actually thought of this and think that maybe a successful breeding would allow them to become pink again? Doesn't have to be one where an egg was produced, but just one where there wasn't a rejection, regardless of whether or not that would be a new pairing or an existing one. That would give users the chance to change their mind about it later if they want to :)

1 hour ago, random_dragon_collector said:

Not being able to have everything that those who came before you have is not punishment.  It's life.

And DragCave is not life, it is a game ;) A game that recently allowed people to have dragons that were previously unaccessible might I add, so this situation would be the only one where being here for longer would still benefit people directly(apart from the normal "they had more time to collect dragons" bit), I don't see why it should be this way

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Why am I torturing myself by refreshing the AP when I'm locked? I should be unlocked in less then an hour (waiting for a zombie-fodder hatchie to die) so why can't I just be patient?

I, too, do not like the change to events happening *after* the holiday. It doesn't make much sense to me, in general people normally get excited about a holiday in the weeks leading up to it, and then once it passes they go back to their normal routine and forget about it. Why have a holiday event where the majority of it takes place after the holiday is done and over? It really doesn't make sense to me.

Ah, yes, I'd like to see events moved back when breeding starts as well. I know this Christmas I totally dropped off paying attention to the event after the first week after Christmas (when the eggs were gone from the AP), as my compelling need to be active every day had diminished back to normal levels.

I just don't see the point in changing up the alts 8 years after the fact. Its a silly move when it wasn't broken in the first place.

3 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Oh, and while I'm here! While I still really want to see Alt Sweetlings given a wider release, I will say thanks, TJ, for all the things you have done in the last two years to make things more accessible. With the return of old holidays and retired breeds, I've enjoyed DC more in the past two years then I have probably since BSAs were released. I'm really grateful for the expanding collection opportunities and hope that, in time, that applies to Alt Sweets and higher CB Christmas / Valentine limits as well. Onward and upward... but what's already been done is noticed and appreciated. :D 

This exactly>I don't mean to sound like I am complaining. I DO appreciate what has already been done.

Fair enough--it's a game, not life, I accept that line of reasoning.

I guess it doesn't bother me so much because I have no desire to have every dragon because I don't want zombies or neglected.  I'm coming from a place of not caring if I have a complete scroll, but I understand that others want that very much.

That said--to a post above saying alt owners could now have 2 of each--I thought that was one of the things TJ decided not to do.

Following all this confuses me--

I've only just realized that I don't need to worry about misclicking on a breed I already have and being stuck with it for 5 hours, because the limits mean I won't get it!  See--there's an upside to breed limits in the holiday biomes!  I just love the Holiday biomes!

8 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

Fair enough--it's a game, not life, I accept that line of reasoning.

I guess it doesn't bother me so much because I have no desire to have every dragon because I don't want zombies or neglected.  I'm coming from a place of not caring if I have a complete scroll, but I understand that others want that very much.

That said--to a post above saying alt owners could now have 2 of each--I thought that was one of the things TJ decided not to do.

Following all this confuses me--

They are still limited to 2 CBs, they don't get 4 of those, but they are now able to obtain both colours from bred dragons(and I am guessing that if they choose to release 1 Alt and catch a new egg they will probably get a pink one, though I am not 100% sure on that one, this was not in the update post)

3 minutes ago, Brekke said:

I've only just realized that I don't need to worry about misclicking on a breed I already have and being stuck with it for 5 hours, because the limits mean I won't get it!  See--there's an upside to breed limits in the holiday biomes!  I just love the Holiday biomes!

I would if they had a bigger drop for longer.  Impossible to catch Sweetlings and Valentines, has been all day for me.

That is correct ArielGrint. If they release an alt and grab a new Sweetling, they will get a pink Sweetling and not an alt version.

Just now, quinney said:

I would if they had a bigger drop for longer.  Impossible to catch Sweetlings and Valentines, has been all day for me.

At Christmas, I parked on the left-hand egg spot, and if the holly or whatever was the very first egg of the drop, I got it.  That doesn't work for the whole drop, but I could get the first one in the left slot if what I wanted dropped first.  You might try that and see if it works for you--

I also wish the drop lasted longer. The only time I really see eggs is during the hourly drop and so many people need Sweetlings, it's hard to find them! Still need two to complete my CB collection of Holidays.

Still, I'm glad the opportunity is there, at least, and I hope things get a little less crazy as the holiday goes on.

3 minutes ago, Brekke said:

At Christmas, I parked on the left-hand egg spot, and if the holly or whatever was the very first egg of the drop, I got it.  That doesn't work for the whole drop, but I could get the first one in the left slot if what I wanted dropped first.  You might try that and see if it works for you--

I've tried every which way people have suggested over the years I've been here, and just accepted that the younger ones with faster computers will have their fill before me!

And having said that - I've actually just caught a Sweetling!!!!!

6 minutes ago, quinney said:

I've tried every which way people have suggested over the years I've been here, and just accepted that the younger ones with faster computers will have their fill before me!

And having said that - I've actually just caught a Sweetling!!!!!

lol!  can't argue with that!  Glad you got a Sweetling!  Cheers!

35 minutes ago, quinney said:

No, that's about right.  And six seconds to catch them in. :dry:

There are 6 eggs in the cave ? Not when I've been there....

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

There are 6 eggs in the cave ? Not when I've been there....

I thought they were talking about the CB drops.  That's all I've seen.

Thank you TJ for bringing back the old holidays (Not just Valentines, but all of them)  Now I can make pretty lineages without having to beg people!!!  I really love the holiday biome as well.  I don't have to worry about misclicks.  

Thank you for adding bred Alt Sweetlings back, TJ! Now to hunt for the ever-elusive CB '09 Valentine's eggs...

ETA: That is, after I'm no longer egg-locked. :P 

Edited by purpledragonclaw

Maybe the reason events are happening after the holiday is because all of the people doing the actual work need more time to get everything done. It's as lot of work, and even the best of planning doesn't always leave time for RL getting in the way. I would only have time on holidays or weekends, LOL

5 hours ago, Tiki G said:

That is the worst possible solution. I would be absolutely devastated to have a sprite I love so much, have had for 8 years, and have spent the last few years building some of my favorite lines, suddenly change to a different color. Because... why? I really didnt think Alt Sweets were that much of an issue and still dont really see the need to change anything about them at all. The only people who can get them are those who already have them, so I dont understand the issue of them "spreading" or "becoming more available".

I just want to keep my Alt Sweets. I want to be able to continue their lines and enjoy them as they are. Mistake or not, they exist and taking them away... 8 years later... is just unfair. 

I love my Alt Sweets, they have been my favorite dragon for many years, and the thought of losing them makes me more sad than I would like to admit. I dont need or want to collect pinks. I just want to keep my boys the way they are.

I would concur.

I think the reason TJ has not fixed other mistakes like this is that, he may have realised after with the fallout -  this is just pure conjecture. so in order to not repeat it, he just replaced. If he continued to do it, the stink made about it would be greater.

the idea of just taking them away from people who already have, because others don't them is simply malicious, selfish, spiteful.

Its not like prize dragons, they don't breed true off scroll, they breed only once a year and there is no profit in them. They aren't a "money maker", nor are they game breaking. I would easily be all for not permitting them to breed at all - but that is not fair to people who have worked on lineages (which I really haven't) I'd consider them breeding true to pink scrolls (ant the dark ones breeding true thereafter) (but that would just bring up the whole trade break argument) but I don't see why everyone has to always be given the same thing. I don't see this argument about the leetle stack of pancakes, or missngno - but these don't breed do they. Whether or not we agree with TJ's end decision, ultimately its his decision. The best bet is to accept that this is his game, his decision and for whatever reason -  be it something we like or dislike, he's going to do it. I didn't like teleport, but I accepted it - my arguments won't see it change - it affected my style of play but I moved on. Maybe its because I am older and more experienced with life that I can understand this sort of thing happens. So the taking the alt away from people who have it, because others don't is the worst attitude I have seen to date here on this forums.  I was quite happy with not getting pink sweetlings, I never asked for the black to begin with -  I like it better than pink anyway. I will get pink sweets, but just because, maybe at the end of all this they'll go black. I will prefer to collect the black ones anyway.

32 minutes ago, quinney said:

I thought they were talking about the CB drops.  That's all I've seen.

I assume they were. But I have not seen 6 at one time. I WISH !