TJ09

2017-12-18 - Holiday Event Schedule

This may not be practical because of coding, but I've always wished the decorating holiday events - the tree (which was before my time), the wreath, and the gingerbread house - could be hosted in such a way that we could decorate them again every year. How cool would it be to make a different design every year?

Though I wouldn't want to replace Valkemarian Tales - I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too! :ph34r:

Edited by Twimm
adding more

32 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Lord, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that any glitches that happen with the holiday games aren't as important nor do they count as controversies because they're an optional part of the game. Anybody who complains about a bug in a holiday game should sooner be complaining about actual game glitches or gameplay decisions.

But "actual game" means something different to everybody. With this "optional" logic, one could argue that breeding for lineages are optional and dragon collecting itself is optional, as well as collecting holiday dragons. 

1 minute ago, Feesh said:

But "actual game" means something different to everybody. With this "optional" logic, one could argue that breeding for lineages are optional and dragon collecting itself is optional, as well as collecting holiday dragons. 

I can't go back and play these games again outside of their very limited runtime. That makes them more optional than anything else.

I want my eggs to start cracking!! They have 1000+ views and around 6-8 more hours before hatching, but only one is cracking so far. I'm so impatient to get Holly hunting! ^_^

Wow, eggs were released for almost a whole two minutes... So far a record for what I've seen this year in the new biome. x'D Guess no one briefly wanted the eggs there until someone cracked and nabbed one. x'D

Oh! That reminds me, I can probably unfog my first eggs and put them in a hatchery now. 5 hours until they can hatch. Can't wait to see the little hatchies!

Actually, given the posts above, there is a way to play again. But that is besides the point. People play differently, and what one sees as a problem may not necessarily be a problem for others. I trust TJ's judgment because he created dc and knows it better than any other member here. If everyone were able to play smoothly without being challenged, we would all probably lose interest pretty fast. For those complaining about how long it takes to catch x on DC, dc was made to be a long term game anyways. Just keep trying and you'll eventually succeed. :)

3 minutes ago, Feesh said:

Actually, given the posts above, there is a way to play again. But that is besides the point. People play differently, and what one sees as a problem may not necessarily be a problem for others. I trust TJ's judgment because he created dc and knows it better than any other member here. If everyone were able to play smoothly without being challenged, we would all probably lose interest pretty fast. For those complaining about how long it takes to catch x on DC, dc was made to be a long term game anyways. Just keep trying and you'll eventually succeed. :)

To the "Complaining" part, I definitely agree! ;3; It may be upsetting if you don't get something this year, but there's always next year! (Sort of like Zombie hunting. Or Legendary hunting. You may have to wait two weeks, a month, or even a year, but if you KEEP TRYING it'll EVENTUALLY happen! ;3; ) With that said i'm still bothering with this crazy Holiday Biome. It's like trying to shop on a Black Friday. One moment you see it and think you got it, the next it's not even there. x'D

Edited by AveryCF

There might be a way to play one text based adventure game again.

What about tree decorating, or snow fort building, or the mana game, or the halloween minesweep clone, or almost anything else? Some of the pages don't even load anymore, but I guess we're going to conveniently ignore that part.

And eh, I don't trust TJ cause 99% of the time someone has a concern, he doesn't even answer. Much good the suggestions/requests section is.

Have Holiday eggs always been this sensitive? I've been getting a lot of sickness alerts. (Thankfully none of them died)

He probably doesn't answer because more often than not, he's already addressed it once before. You'd be surprised at how many things are repeatedly asked for in suggestions thread. If it doesn't require his attention immediately, the mods usually provide some sort of answer. Tj can make a full time job out of answering questions from suggestions, but then DC wouldn't be updated, would it? 

He probably doesn't answer because more often than not, he's already addressed it once before. You'd be surprised at how many things are repeatedly asked for in suggestions thread. If it doesn't require his attention immediately, the mods usually provide some sort of answer. Tj can make a full time job out of answering questions from suggestions, but then DC wouldn't be updated, would it? 

Feesh does have a point. ^ Just because someone doesn't respond, doesn't mean you shouldn't trust them. They could read and see what you said, even if you're silent. I do it a lot of the time towards people on multiple sites i'm on who might directly speak to me. Sometimes there's just nothing to say, or you've already said it so many times that you feel they should already have seen a response from somewhere else. Just takes a little research and all. Plus with mods and helpers and such, they're there to help TJ out where he can't be. Like extra hands and minds. So just because TJ isn't here all the time- doesn't mean he doesn't actually know the important things. ;3;

Edited by AveryCF

How much updating does this site receive anyway? Considering he's been though lots of releases by now, that's extremely routine and wouldn't require many new resources- the only exception being the returning CB holidays this year.

Most of the time, I'd say he has some time to respond. And no, not all of them have been things he's responded to already. Or at least not publicly.

3 minutes ago, SkyWolf25 said:

Have Holiday eggs always been this sensitive? I've been getting a lot of sickness alerts. (Thankfully none of them died)

There's rampant viewbombing - EATW itself was bombed, and now someone or a gang of someones are adding random scrolls to lots of hatcheries.

I still kind of wish the old games could be implemented again. They don't have to be exact, but ultimately something like an updated version. I missed out on Christmas 2012 to Easter 2015. Of course I'd miss out on those!!!

Since people will note how they loved this or that... Bring it back? It doesn't have to be the exact game, but similar. Decorating event, but with new decor. Snow Fort event, but different decor. Mana, but new mana sprites and additional lore... something...

I'm kind of missing my brain...

4 minutes ago, SkyWolf25 said:

There is more activity during the holidays, so the eggs/hatchlings get more views in the clicksites.

If your eggs are getting sick, check EATW and make sure that your eggs are not in there, as many people who put eggs in there are loosing them due to sickness. There is a major issue with the site right now.

3 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

How much updating does this site receive anyway? Considering he's been though lots of releases by now, that's extremely routine and wouldn't require many new resources- the only exception being the returning CB holidays this year.

Most of the time, I'd say he has some time to respond. And no, not all of them have been things he's responded to already. Or at least not publicly.

Don't forget, TJ has a real job, and a life outside of DC. This is not his only website either. 

I'd imagine even routine releases are hard and time sensitive. DC isn't TJs full time job. It be a different story if this was a pay to play game, but it's not. Thus, he is in no way obligated to respond to anything at all. We have to respect his time and dedication towards keeping this game free. 

Almost everyone has a job and a life. But it wouldn't hurt to answer a suggestion that has a lot of comments with a simple yes/no.

I think you're obligated to respond in some way, or people will get disgruntled and leave. Tales of Dragons exists for a reason.

There's always going to be disgruntled people, even if all questions are answered. People want to hear a certain answer and get mad if it doesn't get answered the way they want. IMO, answering yes or no often opens a whole new can of worms and leads to more overall disgruntledness. 

Edited by Feesh

TJ has a job, a life, other websites. He is not here 24/7 to answer every single thing that someone wants or asks for or has a question about, nor should he be. The mods *do* respond to Suggestion threads, often, and they have TJ's authority to do so, so I don't see why TJ himself not responding all the time is such a bad thing. The mods know more about TJ's views then we do, so when a mod responds to a Suggestion thread they often may be speaking on TJ's behalf, and that's good enough for me. (And no, TJ is not "obligated" to respond to anything, ever. We do not pay for this game, so we have no say in what happens with it and no justification demanding responses.)

7 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Almost everyone has a job and a life. But it wouldn't hurt to answer a suggestion that has a lot of comments with a simple yes/no.

I think you're obligated to respond in some way, or people will get disgruntled and leave. Tales of Dragons exists for a reason.

True, but i'm sorry. One, we don't know what TJ does with his life and we don't HAVE to know. That's his business, just like if he does, or does not respond. I'm really sorry, but you're making it sound like he's forced to speak and that's not cool... That's actually rather rude. Please just respect what you DO get, because it could be a lot worse. For someone who does multiple site programs just for fun and actually has a job, even getting the little something every month is enough for a lot of thankful people... (Myself included.) DC is more like a long term project, you'll get to see what does and does not come around if you stick around to find out. c:

Guys please, it's almost Christmas. We should be thankful for what we have right now, not arguing and becoming upset about what we DON'T have...

Edited by AveryCF

6 minutes ago, Feesh said:

There's always going to be disgruntled people, even if all questions are answered. People want to hear a certain answer and get mad if it doesn't get answered the way they want. IMO, answering yes or no often opens a whole new can of worms and more disgruntledness in general. 

You say yes or no, then lock the topic. Anyone who can't respect the answer they're given has to deal with it. But no communication is worse than a No.

@Marie19R There are times he's on and responding to trivial things instead of other issues that should have his attention. If he has time for that, then why not anything else?

And to be fair, some people do pay for ad removal. There also was merchandise at some point, though I'm not sure if that's still a thing.

(And a lot of the times the mods don't actually know enough or have enough authority to do anything).

@AveryCF I know of many people who have left because of the way things are around here. I cannot agree that there doesn't need to be transparency. If he didn't know what he was getting himself into, well.. that's his problem.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

Trivial is subjective. He may be just checking DC quickly enough to respond to a few questions. Doesn't mean he has enough time to go into any deeper discussions or projects. 

And people are always free to leave. There will be others to replace leavers. Nothing is requiring you to stick to DC. We're not in a contract to play or anything. 

Edited by Feesh