TJ09

2017-12-18 - Holiday Event Schedule

I have said this more than once in the Suggestions threads, but I'll say it again here:

I firmly support removing (or at least upping) CB limits for Christmas and Valentines. New players would figure it out, just like they do for Halloween, and it encourages even more generosity in giving out CBs (we have so many generous people when there ARE limits, just imagine how many more people would be comfortable giving and giving when they knew they would have no limit!).

A lot of players I really respect oppose removing the limits for a variety of reasons, and I get that, even though I disagree. Ultimately, I'm really just happy to have the chance to get the CBs of the holidays I missed at all - that's the whole thing that drew me back into the game this year and I'm still very, very happy, regardless of whether the limits are ever altered. I'm unlikely to stop advocating for changing the limits, but I want to make it clear that I'm still extremely grateful for the changes that have already happened. :)

2 minutes ago, tjekan said:

I disagree. Raising the limit slightly (to 3 or 4) would significantly alleviate the problem, because people will still have scroll limits. If you can only have 8 eggs on your scroll at a time, you're not going to be able to fill up on every possible holiday breed. People will have to pick and choose. And that means they will have room on their scroll to pick up an egg and then drop it again. The reason why newer eggs are sometimes shutting down traffic completely is that nobody is ABLE to pick it up because they already took two last year. Next year, if the limit were raised to, say, four, everyone would have the ability to pick up two 2017 dragons, so they will never block the chute the way 2016 dragons are doing. The year after that, many people would still have the ability to pick up 2017 dragons because no one will have enough egg slots to hit the limit on every Christmas breed anyway.

I don't think I understand that? If limits are raised to 4 next year, everyone would pick up their 2 2017 dragons.... And then the biome would be blocked with the 2017 dragons because everyone has hit the new limit. The biome doesn't stop showing the breed just because everyone picks up some. It would probably take *longer* for the biome to get blocked, but it would still happen, I'm betting for a significant portion of the holiday drop, since it's already blocking a bit and it's only the 2nd day.

Just now, Dragon_Arbock said:

Well, the thing is.. CBs really only have value cause they produce gen 2s, and so on.. I'll be blunt, I don't like the Holly sprite even. I picked two up because I want to help give fresh blood to lineages. If it was just for me and just for collection.. I already have a messy one.

This year, again, I can see the case for limits, so everything gets evenly distributed, but I don't agree that we'll need one next year.

We can agree to disagree on limits. I am catching my CBs for scroll completion and that's it. I also mostly gift offspring, but I remember trading a ye olde arm for a messy holly back in the day and I attempted to trade an arm for a cb holly already this year. I have seen what people ask for them. Removing limits perpetuates the problem. 

Again, I don't care that I might not be able to use the biome next year if it means that someone else can catch up on what they missed.

Just now, Marie19R said:

I don't think I understand that? If limits are raised to 4 next year, everyone would pick up their 2 2017 dragons.... And then the biome would be blocked with the 2017 dragons because everyone has hit the new limit. The biome doesn't stop showing the breed just because everyone picks up some. It would probably take *longer* for the biome to get blocked, but it would still happen, I'm betting for a significant portion of the holiday drop, since it's already blocking a bit and it's only the 2nd day.

If limits are raised to 4 next year, NOT everyone would pick up two more 2017 dragons, though. Because you can only have 8 eggs on your scroll maximum, and there will be 11 different breeds. Some people will choose to grab two more 2017 eggs and be limit-locked at 4, but many other users will not. It won't be possible for "everyone to hit the new limit." It only happened this year because 1) the limit is so low and 2) most people were at or near the limit on newer dragons already.

I am glad for limit of 2–if not, my scroll would be full of snows and my chance of obtaining holly or Yule buck would be zilch.  At least this way I could spazz click everything without getting things I already have.  Maybe the hollies are so hard to get because literally everybody needs them, since original members had a limit of 1

1 minute ago, Jazeki said:

We can agree to disagree on limits. I am catching my CBs for scroll completion and that's it. I also mostly gift offspring, but I remember trading a ye olde arm for a messy holly back in the day and I attempted to trade an arm for a cb holly already this year. I have seen what people ask for them. Removing limits perpetuates the problem. 

Again, I don't care that I might not be able to use the biome next year if it means that someone else can catch up on what they missed.

People will always ask for ridiculous things. They have the right to, but that also means most people won't take them up on it. For every person like that, there's people who gift. Also, trade values only affect those who wish to participate in trades, and only a small percentage of the userbase uses the forums to even do so.

When I got my Holly in 2013, I made a deal with someone to breed them a bunch of 2nd gen Stripes. You can find a reasonable deal if you look hard enough.

At least the blocking, when it happens, is only for a few minutes.  Remember that it wasn't always a case of having five minute drops where they would refresh. It was one drop at the top of the hour and that was it until the next hour.  I am sure I am not the only one who remembers the wall of "It's bright and pink" sitting there for an hour on a regular basis. 

The 5 minute drops and the separate biomes have helped to keep the game fresh and alleviate problems.  I have faith that TJ will find a way to handle the holiday biome issue... IF it does return next year... for all we know, it might not and might simply be a one off, or something that will come back again every few years or so. 

4 minutes ago, tjekan said:

If limits are raised to 4 next year, NOT everyone would pick up two more 2017 dragons, though. Because you can only have 8 eggs on your scroll maximum, and there will be 11 different breeds. Some people will choose to grab two more 2017 eggs and be limit-locked at 4, but many other users will not. It won't be possible for "everyone to hit the new limit." It only happened this year because 1) the limit is so low and 2) most people were at or near the limit on newer dragons already.

But... wouldn't that just make the issue worse, or at least not help it? If the issue is too many newer dragons clogging the holiday biome, if "many other users will not" grab the 2017 eggs, then those eggs will still sit in the biome. Newer users who don't have any will grab some, possibly 4 but possibly fewer then that, and many older users won't grab any because they already have enough, which means that those eggs will still clog the biome.

IF the issue here is the biome moving freely, I don't see how raising the limit a little will help in any significant way, especially if we assume that not everyone would pick up the extras that they're allowed to get.

1 minute ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

People will always ask for ridiculous things. They have the right to, but that also means most people won't take them up on it. For every person like that, there's people who gift. Also, trade values only affect those who wish to participate in trades, and only a small percentage of the userbase uses the forums to even do so.

When I got my Holly in 2013, I made a deal with someone to breed them a bunch of 2nd gen Stripes. You can find a reasonable deal if you look hard enough.

I know. Either way, removing limits won't do anything to help people who missed out because they have to compete with everyone else in the biome if they can't trade or rely on the kindness of other users.

I am grateful that in this season of giving, TJ has given all of us an amazing, astounding, delightful, wonderful, miraculous present of the ability to try to get CBs of past Christmas dragons that we missed, especially Hollies!  The rereleased CBs are not something we are entitled to.

A year ago, what would you have traded for a CB Holly, if someone told you that you might have been able to get one (let alone TWO)?  It would be a lot...  The cost of "well, I might not succeed at catching one" is very low, and we still have most of the week left.  (Also, there are a lot of very generous users here, if you are having real trouble catching a CB Holly, that doesn't mean you can't get one!)

A few years ago, the limit of 2 per Christmas dragon breed was for total bred and CB of the breed.  How AWESOME is this rerelease, on top of the fact that the limit for bred Christmas dragons is gone, compared to that previous reality we lived with on the site?

Has the bug which claims you're at the limit (when you aren't) and prevents you from picking up old CBs been fixed yet?  With 8 eggs, I can't test it currently, but I was previously unable to pick up CB Winter Magi eggs because of limits, due to my having... uh... 0 CBs of them.  :P

11 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

I know. Either way, removing limits won't do anything to help people who missed out because they have to compete with everyone else in the biome if they can't trade or rely on the kindness of other users.

I think there is a way people who don't trade or use the forums can benefit from the kindness of others- during Halloween, I was pulling a /lot/ of CB eggs from the AP. People were catching the blockers (and even some of the non blockers- got two Marrows from there), then abandoning them.

Some people are doing that now, but less effectively, since well once people have what they need, they can't take more.

(also, funny, limits seem to have broken people's ability to pick up CB eggs from the AP if that other thread in Help is anything to go by).

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

I got my caveborns of the last christmas dragons I missed, and two cave born hollies! ^o^ I am so happy!! I spent all day yesterday trying to get holly eggs and I finally did! YAY.

I can't wait for the first load of Holiday eggs to hatch so that I can get a second CB Holly (amanged to catch one yesterday after all), and 2 Yulebucks. It seems possible now, but who knows for how long before the newer dragons clog everything.

I'm glad that there's the 2 egg limit though; otherwise I would have caught a lot of the newer CBs while hunting for the old ones. Plus it would only have slightly stalled the clogging problem.

Like I and others have said, it's reasonable to have the limit for this year when the demand will be highest, but looking toward the future it will need to be changed or it won't move except on the refreshes, which is unacceptable for something that only happens one week out of the year.

Like. I'm not a fan of the adult Holly sprite and never have been. If limits were removed, I likely wouldn't get more after I get two, unless a way to get a female shows up. But I can tell you that with the edge taken off of the demand this year that there will most likely not be as much a mad rush to fill up on Hollies if the limits for the dragons in the Holiday biome are lifted/raised next year.

Edited by Guillotine

I don't code so maybe this is ignorant of me but....

Why can't some kind of "nanny cam" notification be coded into our accounts where we can see who put our dragons into a hatchery? Maybe just the alert that someone did, somehow? Or maybe at least who has visited the scroll within a 24 previous hour period? We can then report the list to admin, and they maybe can compare it to see if any other reports with same name(s) show up. I dunno, but something.

I finally got my 2nd CB Holly... The 1st is waiting for someone to be unlocked for a trade, I'm unsure if I'll keep the second or trade that too. My first holiday eggs should hatch in like 9 hours, can't wait!

Just now, Riverwillows said:

Why can't some kind of "nanny cam" notification be coded into our accounts where we can see who put our dragons into a hatchery? Maybe just the alert that someone did, somehow? Or maybe at least who has visited the scroll within a 24 previous hour period? We can then report the list to admin, and they maybe can compare it to see if any other reports with same name(s) show up. I dunno, but something.

I'm not sure how you could do that on DC. The hatcheries themselves could record the IP of whoever added a scroll name, but DC itself it would be impossible to tell which visitor to your page was the one to add it.

1 minute ago, Riverwillows said:

That would be wonderful, but I'm not sure it's doable? You don't have to be logged into DragonCave to add eggs to hatcheries, and even people without accounts can see your scroll unless you deliberately hide it, so I'm not sure trying to track that is even possible?

1 minute ago, Riverwillows said:

Maybe an alert that lets you know your egg/hatchling has gotten X number of views in X amount of time? That's the only way I can see that working with independent hatcheries.

An alert that the egg has gotten a lot of views wouldn't really help them not die, though, since the damage would already be done. Most people I've seen who've had eggs die this holiday did see the sickness and fog them, but it was too late. I'd personally like it if sickness was simply suspended for special things like holiday drops, since these eggs are so much more valuable and limited and it really does so much more damage when they die.

roflmao  well I have decided that I may never catch a CB Holly but that may be good for my health (this is a joke) cause I may have a heart attack if I catch one 

1 minute ago, Kaini said:

*sings* All I want for Christmas is... a CB holly, LOL

LOL I hear ya

8 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

An alert that the egg has gotten a lot of views wouldn't really help them not die, though, since the damage would already be done. Most people I've seen who've had eggs die this holiday did see the sickness and fog them, but it was too late. I'd personally like it if sickness was simply suspended for special things like holiday drops, since these eggs are so much more valuable and limited and it really does so much more damage when they die.

I don't mean be alerted that it's gotten enough to kill them or even make them sick; just enough views to indicate they're probably in a hatchery. I don't know how many that would be but I'm sure other people do. If you weren't ready for them to enter a hatchery you could then fog them.

ETA: Heck, even just "Your egg has reached 100 views!" would probably be enough of an indicator.

Edited by LibbyLishly