Kaityn

Cleaning up AP from Halloween

Just now, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Wow, I'm sorry most of your 25th eggs died! I wonder why? :(

It looks like a lot of them died of sickness or they were just left to have their timers run out. I would have ER'd them, but they were on scrolls that didn't want help. -_- Either way, I highly doubt there is an overpopulation of Halloween (or any holiday, really) dragons.

1 minute ago, Yhme said:

A lot of the same thing. Cavern Lurkers and Shadow Walkers. If people just went easy on those XD

I think I won't breed Lurkers next year they seem unwanted

Huh. I thought they'd pretty much fizzle away by 21h. Oh well, commons should be around now. :) 

Aaaand it's over!

image.png.f6e77a841b5ba63c5c6b4abc2d4aec3f.png

Edited by lovecats99

Yeah, there are at least two of my AP-ed offspring that have about 12h to live, but they're on a no-aid scroll.

Edit: And some killed, guessing failed vamp bites.

Edited by Kith

Well, that was a fun Halloween. Also that hatchling wall lasted longer than I expected, so awesome job by everyone hatchling those eggs!

I'll have to remember to check what is unpopular during Christmas before breeding. There where so many unwanted Lurkers

Oh whew. Now to get those other eggs a good home. I just released the last few I had pick up.

Edited by Nathair

44 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

It looks like a lot of them died of sickness or they were just left to have their timers run out. I would have ER'd them, but they were on scrolls that didn't want help. -_- Either way, I highly doubt there is an overpopulation of Halloween (or any holiday, really) dragons.

Sorry to hear that :( I'm guessing the sick ones died due to inexperienced people not realizing how busy the hatcheries are during holidays, but it always baffles me how people can pick up eggs and then forget them for a whole week...

@Empererpenguin it seems like there's always way more SWs and Lurkers than everything else. Iunno why, they both seem pretty popular on the forums. I think I worked on more lurker lines this year than anything else, myself.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

And I'm definitely seeing more casualties among my lurkers' offspring than any other breed. I may just suspend my lineaged lurker and SW breeding (unless requested) in the future to help prevent this.

Here's my theory on the proliferation of shadows and lurkers. None of this is backed up by stats; it is only my personal speculation. Those dragons are from DC's middle years, 2011 and 2012. Dragons older than that are sought after because (until this year) fewer CBs were on active scrolls, and because egg spaces were more limited in the early years so fewer CBs in general existed. Dragons newer than that are sought after because people haven't quite got their fill for whatever reason. I'm gambling there will be grave walls next year too--those were 2013's release. Shadows and lurkers are right in the middle, where there are comfortable numbers of active CBs and middle-range players like myself have had a longer time to catch their fill.

@Amberfly that makes a lot of sense. Too old to be hot items, but also too new to be hot items. Poor things! Ah well, I like them, even if it did take a while for lurkers to grow on me :P

@Kith Aw! Obviously it's up to you if you want to stop or not, but I know myself and many other active forum goers have an absolute blast hunting the AP for random pretty Halloweens. I'll be sad to see your lines go and others if people stop breeding. :( I might not need some things urgently enough to prioritize them during the initial week when I have my own plans, but I definitely enjoy finding them by surprise in the after hours.

@angelicdragonpuppy Well, when I finished looking through everything, a good percentage of my lurker babies either ran out of time entirely, have 13h left, or were the victims of someone running through all of their vampires to help clear the wall, with the associated death toll. While I don't blame them for helping in that way, especially with no vamps in the holiday biome, I can't say I enjoy the end result.

@Amberfly Plus also, the first egg limits increase was introduced in 2011, the year the Shadow Walkers were released.

Before that, everyone was locked to 4, and had to work to get more than that. So you don't really see a huge wall of cb marrows/pumpkins because there weren't many to start with. With the new egg limits, all of a sudden flood gates opened and Halloweens (SWs, and Lurkers the year after) were mass hoarded - so suddenly there was a ton more dragons available for breeding for consecutive Halloweens.

I think it just kind of...stabilized...by the time Graves came around, so you don't notice a huge spike of population with the newer releases, but SWs and Lurkers remain numerous since they've got that jump-start in population and been around for so long, and yet at the same time they aren't being bred any less.

Edited by Yhme

2 minutes ago, Kith said:

@angelicdragonpuppy Well, when I finished looking through everything, a good percentage of my lurker babies either ran out of time entirely, have 13h left, or were the victims of someone running through all of their vampires to help clear the wall, with the associated death toll. While I don't blame them for helping in that way, especially with no vamps in the holiday biome, I can't say I enjoy the end result.

Killing things just to clear out the wall... ughhh... why... T___T

I used to check on how my holiday offspring ended up, but even a few years ago when Halloweens lasted only a day or so after the event the results were offputting. Now I just cross my fingers that out of a hundred babies, one will end up in good hands and get posted to the great lineage finds thread. @____@ 

Before now, I'd waited until any tombstones would have disappeared just to check to see if anyone had named the offspring, but with the questions surrounding the wall this year, I thought I'd check early. "Offputting" is definitely a good way to describe it. >..<

@angelicdragonpuppy I like them too. Well, I like shadows; lurkers never quite grew on me and I only raised one this year.

I didn't breed the majority of my old Halloweens this year once I saw the news about CB rereleases. I have well over 100, enough to block the AP all on my lonesome if I bred them all at once. In hindsight I regret that a bit, as I do have some nice lines. Maybe next year.

@Yhme That's what I thought about the egg limits, but I couldn't find the date when they were raised. I joined in 2012, so there have always been 5-8 possible egg slots for me. But that backs up my theory, so thanks! It'll be interesting to see if graves start doing the same thing next year.

Edited by Amberfly

Yay... the wall is down. It kind of made me feel like that Christmas story, "Christmas Everyday" only this was "Halloween Everyday" in the AP. O.o... I like my Holidays to stay just within their expect limits. (The longer,t he higher chance of them killing me. O.o...)

Still a few cb and lineaged halloweens hatchies popping up every now and again. I just caught a cave born male caligene.

49 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

that makes a lot of sense. Too old to be hot items, but also too new to be hot items. Poor things! Ah well, I like them, even if it did take a while for lurkers to grow on me :P

I wonder if there might also have been a sense of 'I can get that later' because there were so many.

The flood of hatchlings was good for one thing- my frozen collection is happy.

Cannot imagine what it might be like next year though.