Kaityn

Cleaning up AP from Halloween

2 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I actually think the opposite; many newer players just met their CB goals for old breeds, and even then, the time the wall was around extended less than a day longer than it was last year. So I think we will actually see even LESS CB competition next year, when most people have satisfied their needs already (not everyone, for sure, but some!). 

Not to mention that as players we have control over what happens to our own eggs, if nothing else. This year I specifically bred my extra Halloweens on the 29th so people could get them while they were still influenceable (as they did; only eggs from the 31st went below time). Next year I'll probably do this again plus not breed a few of my stairstep / mixed EG lines that I usually just toss in as filler. So I really don't think it's a problem. Losing eggs to death is a risk we take every time we drop to the AP, whether by time loss or deliberate vampireing or what not, but that's not a reason in itself to stop spreading the love. For every dead egg there are usually dozens more that are much appreciated. ^^

It is not about dead eggs it is about over population, I would love to know the statistics on how many holidays go wild and do not ever wind up on a scroll, be interesting to see

3 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I actually think the opposite; many newer players just met their CB goals for old breeds, and even then, the time the wall was around extended less than a day longer than it was last year. So I think we will actually see even LESS CB competition next year, when most people have satisfied their needs already (not everyone, for sure, but some!). 

Not to mention that as players we have control over what happens to our own eggs, if nothing else. This year I specifically bred my extra Halloweens on the 29th so people could get them while they were still influenceable (as they did; only eggs from the 31st went below time). Next year I'll probably do this again plus not breed a few of my stairstep / mixed EG lines that I usually just toss in as filler. So I really don't think it's a problem. Losing eggs to death is a risk we take every time we drop to the AP, whether by time loss or deliberate vampireing or what not, but that's not a reason in itself to stop spreading the love. For every dead egg there are usually dozens more that are much appreciated. ^^

This is exactly my thoughts.

I was way more selective in what I bred to the AP this year - focused really on my CBs and EGs. 

Also, I will note that NOT all eggs that grow up become part of the breeding pool. I regularly check the prodegy of my nicer lineages, and maybe 1 a year goes on to continue the lineage, but the average is much less than that for my dragons.

Just now, Karobb said:

It is not about dead eggs it is about over population, I would love to know the statistics on how many holidays go wild and do not ever wind up on a scroll, be interesting to see

The only holidays that go wild are those that are hatchies dumped into the AP with stats high enough to grow up, which is probably a very low number. It doesn't happen to eggs. 

All the halloween dragons were taken; that's a hallmark of supply not meeting demand, rather than the other way around (although that's more because we're greedy greedy trick or treaters rather than due to lack of eggs, haha!). The only overpopulation that really exists in the game is with some commons being ridiculously TOO common, and even that problem I think would be a lot less annoying if we got a shop and overhauled breeding mechanics (so that breeding common x common doesn't overwhelmingly produce just one of the two commons)

I enjoy the holiday walls.  I am also one of the people who breed regular eggs intending them to show up low-time after the holiday wall ends.  Some are my new holiday mate test breeds, some are just  a result of me being stuck on a long conference call at work and breeding various parts of my scroll.  XD That said, I don't care how many commons die behind the holiday walls.  I would much rather have larger holiday clutches.   Regular dragons can be bred and caught any time of the year.  Seeing the AP go back to regular dragons is always such a bummer for me.   

3 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

The only holidays that go wild are those that are hatchies dumped into the AP with stats high enough to grow up, which is probably a very low number. It doesn't happen to eggs. 

All the halloween dragons were taken; that's a hallmark of supply not meeting demand, rather than the other way around (although that's more because we're greedy greedy trick or treaters rather than due to lack of eggs, haha!). The only overpopulation that really exists in the game is with some commons being ridiculously TOO common, and even that problem I think would be a lot less annoying if we got a shop and overhauled breeding mechanics (so that breeding common x common doesn't overwhelmingly produce just one of the two commons)

I can guarantee there are wild dragons from this years Halloween event, I really do not think everything wound up on a scroll at all, and even more are about to go there due to misgendered lineages as they eggs got to such a low time, but only TJ would know for sure!

Edited by Karobb

^Plenty I'm sure XD

Welp the hatchie wall is approaching 2 hours in existence and we're not even at all the 7 day ones. I have to confess I'm enjoying this sight haha

Somebody needs to make fan art of this. I can only imagine seeing hundreds of hatchlings all huddled at the same place. :D

Looks like we're up to hatchlings at 6d 11h, which means they hatched at around 07:00 today DC time.   The wall is going pretty quickly.   I need more SPACE!!  XD

Oh my gosh yes! ^^^ Lol!

Personally I wouldn't change the multiclutches. I love the halloween wall. And I do feel a lot more selective when breeding, not everything gets bred and I send out nice lines. I dont really care what happens to eggs I AP cause I know anything can happen. Halloween is my favorite time of year and I'd rather it last for a couple more days/hours than have some random messy caveblockers (which is most of what I see in the ap) not die. /heartless i know

1 minute ago, Terrafreaky said:

Looks like we're up to hatchlings at 6d 11h, which means they hatched at around 07:00 today DC time.   The wall is going pretty quickly.   I need more SPACE!!  XD

You know I think you are onto something, how about extra spaces during holiday events?

How about no hatchling limit during holiday events?  XD  That would get those walls moving towards the end of the event. 

1 minute ago, Terrafreaky said:

How about no hatchling limit during holiday events?  XD  That would get those walls moving towards the end of the event. 

LOL we are all hoarders we would grab like 100 in that case xD!

We just got the eighth slot, and you guys want more space?!

XD

It's 2am over here. My children have woken up. I have to go to bed although I would love to keep watching this magnificent phenomenon that is the Hatchie Wall. :D 

THANK YOU, everyone, for participating! <3 

2 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

We just got the eighth slot, and you guys want more space?!

XD

Of course we do!! I was thinking more like a temporary holiday thingie though!  I love that 8th slot btw, been making great use of it!

Still hoping to find something cool in there XD All my freezes are gone, but have one more space available

Since this has gone on for about 2 hours now, i'd expect commons to come in just after hatchlings are 6h 21h (we're just at 6d 17h 18h 19h 20h 21h!)

Edited by lovecats99

I'm sadly locked or I would do more hunting. For the record, I hatched ER eggs and threw them back and even froze a messy hatchie before I locked myself. Even with hatchling lock, I would rather not change multiclutching because of the walls. It's about the same length as it was last year, even with an extra slot. I also checked in on most of my eggs that I bred on the 25th and 26 and many of them died, leaving one to survive from clutches of 2-4. I also checked on previous years' Halloweens and very few were bred this year, if at all. Having these long walls also allows people who may have missed the event completely to have a chance at holiday dragons that we experience once a year. If they go wild, well. At least they're still alive. That's a risk you take when breeding. I made sure that all of my holidays (except one witchlight) were bred by the 29th to avoid being caught in today's wall. 

I't's been my observation this year that the wall is mostly cave lurkers does anyone remember what it was last year

A lot of the same thing. Cavern Lurkers and Shadow Walkers. If people just went easy on those XD

3 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

I'm sadly locked or I would do more hunting. For the record, I hatched ER eggs and threw them back and even froze a messy hatchie before I locked myself. Even with hatchling lock, I would rather not change multiclutching because of the walls. It's about the same length as it was last year, even with an extra slot. I also checked in on most of my eggs that I bred on the 25th and 26 and many of them died, leaving one to survive from clutches of 2-4. I also checked on previous years' Halloweens and very few were bred this year, if at all. Having these long walls also allows people who may have missed the event completely to have a chance at holiday dragons that we experience once a year. If they go wild, well. At least they're still alive. That's a risk you take when breeding. I made sure that all of my holidays (except one witchlight) were bred by the 29th to avoid being caught in today's wall. 

Wow, I'm sorry most of your 25th eggs died! I wonder why? :(