TJ09

2017-10-25 - Halloween Event

Should I dress my dragon up all Ravenclaw, or Slytherin? Whenever I do those sorting tests I wind up in one or the other.

6 minutes ago, Rexsaurus said:

Dragon cave is down :(

also I've never understood this "what house in Harry Potter are you?" thing can someone explain because when people talk about it I get confused.

Houses in Harry Potter were nominally determined by personality type. Like, Ravenclaws are the "Smart" house, Gryffindor the "hero" house, Hufflepuff the "friend" house, and Slytherin the "Evil" house (don't give me sass, I roll with the snakes, that doesn't change what Rowling wrote them as). It can be a fun personality-test thing to think of what your house is.

2 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

Houses in Harry Potter were nominally determined by personality type. Like, Ravenclaws are the "Smart" house, Gryffindor the "hero" house, Hufflepuff the "friend" house, and Slytherin the "Evil" house (don't give me sass, I roll with the snakes, that doesn't change what Rowling wrote them as). It can be a fun personality-test thing to think of what your house is.

Aren't Slytherin more of a "the ends justify the means" house, and not exacly "evil"?

Just now, Neo Metal Sonic said:

Aren't Slytherin more of a "the ends justify the means" house, and not exacly "evil"?

In theory. In practice, every Slytherin in the books is evil, and most of the "not-evil" characterization of the house comes from things like Pottermore, where people could be sorted into it.

Just now, Guillotine said:

Is there one of those tests anywhere I want to find out which one I am so I can dress my hatchling as that although from your explanation I might be Hufflepuff.

(my sister is Slytherin)

I haven't read the Harry Potter books yet and I love reading, for some reason these books didn't catch my eye.

So now I can't dress up my hatchling. It just brings me too a list of items.

142raza.png

Edited by IVIandy

1 minute ago, Guillotine said:

In theory. In practice, every Slytherin in the books is evil, and most of the "not-evil" characterization of the house comes from things like Pottermore, where people could be sorted into it.

Bah, I really need to finish the books (I'm still in book 6, the lazyness). Aren't Sirius Black a Slytherin or I'm remembering it all wrong? Well, he looked nice enough...

DC seems to be down for the moment. Possibly fixing the dressing bug? Hopefully?

Just now, Neo Metal Sonic said:

Bah, I really need to finish the books (I'm still in book 6, the lazyness). Aren't Sirius Black a Slytherin or I'm remembering it all wrong? Well, he looked nice enough...

I think he was a Gryffindor from vague memories of him and Dadpotter sharing a dorm, but it's been ages since I've read the books.

3 minutes ago, Rexsaurus said:

Is there one of those tests anywhere I want to find out which one I am so I can dress my hatchling as that although from your explanation I might be Hufflepuff.

(my sister is Slytherin)

I haven't read the Harry Potter books yet and I love reading, for some reason these books didn't catch my eye.

I know that the site Pottermore has one, and if you search "Sorting hat quiz" or "Harry Potter house quiz" or similar you should be able to find one. 

Just now, Marie19R said:

DC seems to be down for the moment. Possibly fixing the dressing bug? Hopefully?

Haha must have just went down as soon as I posted then cause as soon as I read your post I went to refresh DC and yep, site down lol.

5 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

In practice.

1. Not every Slytherin is evil. Take Snape and Regulus Black, for example.

2. It's stated multiple times that Slytherin is the house of ambition and talent in the books.

3. Peter Pettigrew was a Gryffindor and Quirrel was a Ravenclaw and they turned out evil.

8 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

Not every Slytherin was evil...Horus wasn't evil. I can't remember any others off the top of my head but no, not all of them are evil. And not all evil characters were in Slytherin either. There was an evil guy that came from Gryffindor as well. 

Edited by IlaQuickel

Slytherins, canonically speaking, were never the evil house or even the "the ends justify the means" house. It goes back to the founding of hogwarts. There were four founders, and they were talking about who should be let into their new school:

Helga Hufflepuff pushed for it to be very open: anybody who had any capacity for magic should be given a chance to learn how to use it.

Rowenna Ravenclaw argued that trying to teach the stupid wasn't worth the effort, so only the intelligent should be let in.

Godric Gryffindor made the counterargument that all the wisdom in the world won't help someone who's too cowardly to put their skills to use, therefor they should look for the brave

Salazar Slytherin, meanwhile, was the traditional type and was adamant that this school should be for purebloods only.

They argued for a while and eventually decided to make the four houses, with the sorting hat to decide whose house got what:
The brave went to gryffindor, the smartest to ravenclaw, purebloods to slytherin and the rest were dumped into hufflepuff

Though Salazar left not too long after the school opened and slytherin house ended up being not quite pure, but instead going mostly off of a smug sense of superiority, regardless of origin (though usually from being proud of your pureblood heritage). 

It's certainly not a good house, but not evil either. Simply the product of an outdated way of thinking

I ain't feeling up to pointing out all the ways you guys are either wrong or using a very limited definition of evil, but it doesn't change that almost all of the major villains came from Slytherin. Rowling ain't the flawless writer you're making her out to be. If she actually intended Slytherin to be a certain way, she didn't write it well.

Just now, Guillotine said:

Rowling ain't the flawless writer you're making her out to be. If she actually intended Slytherin to be a certain way, she didn't write it well.

Not disagreeing with this at all, I personally dislike Rowling. Just stepping up to correct some facts.

Sucks that I had to buy all three wizard costumes when the only one I wanted was the one you get as a bonus. >->

Anyyyy way, I also hae the 47 treats only glitch.

Also I'm surprised at the number of trick-or-treaters I'm not getting. Certainly with so many people playing I should have had at least more than the 1 candy that wasn't from me clicking the get candy button, right? D: It's just like real life... no one wants to visit my house for Halloween!

9 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

I know that the site Pottermore has one, and if you search "Sorting hat quiz" or "Harry Potter house quiz" or similar you should be able to find one. 

Just did a quiz and it still confused me.

Just now, TwilitProphet said:

Sucks that I had to buy all three wizard costumes when the only one I wanted was the one you get as a bonus. >->

Anyyyy way, I also hae the 47 treats only glitch.

Also I'm surprised at the number of trick-or-treaters I'm not getting. Certainly with so many people playing I should have had at least more than the 1 candy that wasn't from me clicking the get candy button, right? D: It's just like real life... no one wants to visit my house for Halloween!

Right? All the dragons are going trunk or treating instead. (for real though, I had to tell my son we have to go drive to churches for trunk or treat because no one in the surrounding neighborhoods is doing trick or treating.)

I was excited to see the wizard outfits (major HP fan and all), but no Hufflepuff? *pouts*

Fun event so far otherwise, excited to see the additional biome for the Halloweens. Curious to see if this continues or if it'll just be for Halloween (I'm behind on other holiday cbs as well so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, lol).

Just now, jesterboohoo said:

I was excited to see the wizard outfits (major HP fan and all), but no Hufflepuff? *pouts*

Fun event so far otherwise, excited to see the additional biome for the Halloweens. Curious to see if this continues or if it'll just be for Halloween (I'm behind on other holiday cbs as well so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, lol).

I am hoping so, and I can see the uproar that some CB Holly owners are going to throw because 'Muh specialness' But at the same time I can see why it won't happen because of that fact.

1 minute ago, jesterboohoo said:

Just now, TwilitProphet said:

@jesterboohoo You can only get hufflepuff by buying the other three. It's like a buy-all-get-one-free deal.

I guess it's glitched for me. My shop had gryffindor, slytherin, and hufflupuff, with ravenclaw being given to me for free when I bought gryffindor

1 minute ago, TwilitProphet said:

@jesterboohoo You can only get hufflepuff by buying the other three. It's like a buy-all-get-one-free deal.

Hmm? Not true, you get one free wizard costume set, and have the buy the others. It may be the green one you got for free or blue, I think it's entirely random.