TJ09

2017-09-30 - September Dragon Release

Thank you TJ and the spriter(s) for yet another dragon release! Since I'm not a mod, you can take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'd rather see complaints and criticism on a different board. I've always thought the initial release announcements were for speculation about the new release but also for congratulating the creators for their hard work.

Not every dragon breed is my favorite, but we would all be remiss if we didn't acknowledge the volunteer time and energy people put into these pixels for the enjoyment of others.

So thank you again, TJ and all you spriters out there!

Edited by Twimm

3 minutes ago, Vampyre said:

Just dont forget people....the last time we were severely 'negative' about a dragon we lost frills and bright pinks. Do not lose us this dragon before we ever get it :( TJ and the spriter may not give them back this time!

This is a really poor argument against expressing criticism, regardless of how poorly worded it is. It basically boils down to "don't do it or it could be taken away." At this point, TJ and spriters are probably adult enough to handle criticism without having to resort to punishing the entire userbase for how a select few want to express their opinions. And I sorely hope that they don't resort to this sort of thing again. It doesn't do anything to stop criticism or foster goodwill in the community. 

More related to these babies, I'm so excited to see what both breeds look like. I'm generally meh about two-headeds, but these look cool. 

I actually wondered at first if these splits were going to be those royal purple (?) splits that were studded with gems and loved collecting jewels, but these guys look a lot bulkier and the artist is different so that's a no. :P Still wonder if we'll find out later if these were a Valentine submission initially.

i've read most of the comments in this thread, and no one targeted the art itself or the dragon design, so i'm not sure why people are claiming we're insulting their work

we're talking about difficult breeding mechanics that frustrate us, and being allowed to say those things frustrate us without people jumping on our backs for daring to not like something about DC.

I hate dark lumina breeding. I'll go right out and say it is hate. I will not breed them, i won't even bother trying. Why? Because i don't want a moon chart and calendar and meticulously take notes on when i can breed to get the lineage I need. I'd rather have a nice relaxing game of hatching dragons without making it homework too.

That's what dark luminas feel like. it's homework. you sit there plotting phases of the moon, dragon breeding timers, mates, linage, and in the end i just threw it all away and decided it wasn't worth it

does anyone actually find dark lumina breeding fun or a challenge? It's been how long since they've been released, and we still can't reliably figure out what to do or how to make lineages?

All i'm saying is that people are not insulting the artists or art from what i can see, but merely voicing dissatisfaction at the prospect of yet another super hard to obtain, super hard to figure out, breeding alt. IF These are that way. 

If enough people dislike phases of the moon style breeding, then we should be allowed to say so so that TJ knows and keeps that in mind when planning future dragons. If we just silently go along with it, he'll probably assume everyone LIKES that style of breeding and do more of it, leading to further frustrating breeds no one bothers to breed anymore

@Sirithiliel I love Luminas, one of my favorite breeds, but am very eh about dark Luminas, so I feel your pain. However they're actually not terribly unmanageable. Just remember that when blue / silver lunars are dropping, the odds of light ones are better. The odds will also improve more as dark luminas age as a breed.

Now I'm still not super fond of the mechanic (why still no lore behind it? Why have two seperate species completely interbreed instead of just having occasional Aria type alternate breed throwbacks? WHy MAKE bReed MY PRETTY LUMINAS HARD?? ;AAA; </333) but it is a much more manageable one then, say, gemshards, where you have no way to influence the odds and no answers until hatching. 

Please keep conversation in the thread civil. I understand we all have different opinions and may like/dislike updates to the game, and everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but be mindful of the words you choose to express them. If anyone wants to further discuss changing breeding mechanics or changes for future releases, I suggest starting a thread in Suggestions/Requests rather than here. I won't be deleting posts, because the discussion is important and members have a right to be heard, but this is not the place to continue it. 

It's not that you can't express opinions or make criticisms of the site to improve it, it's just... it's a little rude to just pop up and say 'I hate this and it's my opinion so' when the rest of us are just trying to enjoy ourselves. Not to mention we don't even know what the mechanic is yet?

Like, I don't like freezing, but I just choose not to use that aspect of the game. Big deal, move on, there's no point in making a stink about an aspect of the game you just.... baselessly don't like.

Suggestions are one thing, there's a whole section for opening a dialogue for what could improve the game. So go that route.

In the meantime it is just a game... we're not saving the world here. Play it how you like, and know not every aspect of it has to cater to you.

Anyway, I caught four of each and am now happily locked with new shinies.

edit: oops ninja'd ;u; sorry for continued discussion !

Edited by Kaini

i never said anyone had to cater to me, i was trying to defend others that were getting jumped on for saying they didn't like weird mechanics, and were in turn accused of insulting the artists for daring to not like a mechanic. I figured this thread was for discussion of the new release, speculation on the mechanics, and hopes about what it could be, not JUST for praise and good comments about the dragons and nothing else. but okay. Praise is all that's allowed apparently =P

but what's done is done, no more talk about it, fine. I'll stop trying to defend myself or others and just move on to the dragons.

Dragons are pretty. 

Artists did good job.

Hope green eggs are just simple bred alts. Can't wait to find out.

Edited by Sirithiliel

5 hours ago, Alrexwolf said:

Man you know what would be really cute/sweet is if you had to breed one parent from the volcano and one from the desert in order to get the green one. Like their parents traveled so long and far to be together they met in some overgrown forest and raised their clutch there and BAM green eggs. 

I like this idea ^_^ Very cute!

Okay, fine, I guess I'll shut up about the fact that some people seem to think stifling opinions is just fine. However:

50 minutes ago, Kaini said:

It's not that you can't express opinions or make criticisms of the site to improve it, it's just... it's a little rude to just pop up and say 'I hate this and it's my opinion so' when the rest of us are just trying to enjoy ourselves. Not to mention we don't even know what the mechanic is yet?

We are just trying to enjoy ourselves as well. That's what this game is about, really, isn't it? So when something is introduced that isn't fun or enjoyable for us, why should we act like it is? And honestly I think it's a little rude to be all "we are enjoying this, so anyone who isn't just shouldn't post in here because we are trying to enjoy this". This thread is for reacting to and talking about the new release, which includes reacting to and talking about the fact that greens are not yet available, and may very well have a very complicated way of obtaining them.

Anyways. My first three eggies should hatch in a tad over two hours, and I'm so excited!! I haven't peeked into the biomes today 'cause I try not to when I'm locked, so I hope the new guys aren't too hard to get now, I want to grab some more when these hatch.

Also, purple two-head is just like a dream come true for me. Purple is and has always been my favorite color, and with the exception of Baikalas I'm not really "oh yay!" over any two-head breeds currently in-game. Until now. I'm really, really liking these. Especially that specific shade of purple, it's so pretty, and I really hope the adults retain that.

@Marie19R I was looking for nice mates for my Witchlights today and it occurred to me that we are pretty low on purple colored dragons! The color on these ones is gorgeous, and purple + gold is a classic combo, just wish we had more splits for pairing options. They probably would've looked great with Soulstones, alas! ;A;

Just looking at my two purple/gold eggs as they hatch and I really like the unique hatching sequence. Missed it with TJ's.

2 minutes ago, dragondoodle said:

Just looking at my two purple/gold eggs as they hatch and I really like the unique hatching sequence. Missed it with TJ's.

Does something weird happen at stage 4? My farthest is at stage 3 and looks pretty normal bar a seeming absence of side cracks.

I have a feeling the green eggs were to mislead us a little. I betchya they hatch from the red eggs :P

1 minute ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Does something weird happen at stage 4? My farthest is at stage 3 and looks pretty normal bar a seeming absence of side cracks.

The gold lines are overlapping the hole. It really looks pretty ^_^

Edited by dragondoodle
I forgot I wasn't on dA and tried to use a code from that ^^;

4 minutes ago, dragondoodle said:

The gold lines are overlapping the hole. It really looks pretty ^_^

Hehe, I'm on DA and used to do that too XD I guess I'll have to wait until mine crack more, that sounds really pretty!

1 hour ago, Sirithiliel said:

i never said anyone had to cater to me, i was trying to defend others that were getting jumped on for saying they didn't like weird mechanics, and were in turn accused of insulting the artists for daring to not like a mechanic. I figured this thread was for discussion of the new release, speculation on the mechanics, and hopes about what it could be, not JUST for praise and good comments about the dragons and nothing else. but okay. Praise is all that's allowed apparently =P

but what's done is done, no more talk about it, fine. I'll stop trying to defend myself or others and just move on to the dragons.

Dragons are pretty. 

Artists did good job.

Hope green eggs are just simple bred alts. Can't wait to find out.

This thread is for discussion of the new release, including speculation on the mechanics, and including constructive criticism of the new dragons, so we are free to discuss that here. I apologize if my post was not clear, but when I said any discussion about changing breeding mechanics should be moved to Suggestions/Requests it did not apply to this discussion, it applied to dragons whose breeding mechanics are known that some may disapprove of. We don't even know how to get the green dragons yet, so it seems ill-suited to shut down discussion on that when it's part of the release. New release threads should never just be about praise, that's unrealistic and stifling of dissent, which is not healthy. 

21 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

This thread is for reacting to and talking about the new release, which includes reacting to and talking about the fact that greens are not yet available, and may very well have a very complicated way of obtaining them.

Marie19R said it very well here, so I'll just quote it.

26 minutes ago, boscodelta said:

I have a feeling the green eggs were to mislead us a little. I betchya they hatch from the red eggs :P

The green [this new breed] hatchlings hatch from green eggs. I went to all the trouble of making a green egg sprite and TJ went to all the trouble of implementing it ;P

Edited by TCA

14 minutes ago, TCA said:

The green hatchlings hatch from green eggs. I went to all the trouble of making a green egg sprite and TJ went to all the trouble of implementing it ;P

Fine TCA don't give me hope that I can have them as CB's ahahaha :D 

As someone who has at least one if every dragon (I'm pretty sure anyway, lolz) I don't mind actually havinga challenge every now and then. Alts are fun to collect because they're hard and not guaranteed. Undines, black, Ridgewings, Dark greens, the mystery is half the enjoyment. Sure I'm a collector and if you'll pardon the pun, I "gotta catch 'em all", but I don't always want it to be easy. When you finally DO get it, the feeling is that much more rewarding.

@Jazeki Ahhh that is really cute, thank you! Gives me a weird bird egg vibe in the best way XD

@Syiren I understand that perspective, but at the same time it often feels more like RNG agony then hard work. Getting a CB metal or building a 5g lineage is hard work; praying your Nebula / Gemshard / Alt colors right is not. It's patience, which I suppose is a form of hard work, but the randomness makes it feel less rewarding. I work extensively on checker lineages. Getting the CBS and breeding the right breeds from the right pairs can be hard work at times (took me over a year to get an ember from a spirit Ward once... not fun... ok maybe that's not a great example either because ratio weirdness made it far more aggravating than it should have been, oops XD). On the other hand, I just had two Halloween lined nebulas miscolor and THREE other nebs I bred for someone miscolored as well! That doesn't feel like hard work being invested, that's frustrating time and egg slots wasted and me desperately hoping they cooperate before Halloween! I don't like RNG, I like knowing my hard work will be rewarded  >___<

Which is, incidentally, why I'm super stoked these guys have different egg sprites. Whatever the trick may be (although I still feel it'll be something quite simple XD) at least we'll know RIGHT AWAY if it succeeded, rather than having to wait until they hatch or even worse, gender! :P 

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I've been in a serious two-headed collecting frenzy lately and the Baikala's sent my head spinning. Now I'm spinning again with these little purple guys, but I love them. They're so pretty!